Become a Patron!

What is the best gauge wire for building with, and is there a prefered ohm for it?

Troy Brown

Member For 4 Years
Still getting my feet wet and have been doing a little expermenting, but I just can't seem to nail down a good wire to work with and a set ohm.... I guess fat clumsey fingers don't help either.....
What are most of you peeps using, or what is preferred? And is it what most of the manufacturers use?

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
28 gauge is by far my favorite , works well at all popular ohm setups , most of the manufacturers use the cheapest crap they can get by with lol , as long as it works for a while thats good enough for them.

Temco is my preferred brand , lots of people like to buy from Lightning Vapes but i tried it and i don't like it as much, never measured exact length but when i compared the two, Temco's always seemed to have quite a bit more on the spool even though they both claimed 100 feet.

Temco's is slightly more expensive , made in USA , LV is imported but both get the job done.

Last edited:

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Like VH fan, 28 and 27 gauge are my most often used, Temco sourced, Kanthal A1 wire sizes. A single 27/28 coil works nicely in a single coil tank (RTA) type atomizer - giving you a range slightly below to slightly above 1.0Ω... while the same wire in parallel dual builds on RTAs and RDAs get you into lower sub-ohm ranges.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just depends on what you want to build and what for.

A lot of OEM stuff is built using Nichrome instead of Kanthal resistance wire, IDK why.
Some users also just prefer Nichrome to Kanthal.

Most mechs are built under 1.3Ω while VV/VW mods tend to like a higher ohm setup than a mech to really use their power range. Some devices, like my MVPv2, just don't have the amp limit needed for lower-ohms and do best around 2 Ohms or so.

So, I use 33, 32, 30, and 28 Kanthal round wire and 0.8 x 0.1 Kanthal ribbon wire. Variety is good. ;)

You can also twist the higher gauge wire like 33 and 32 to get a different and lower resistance too.

Here's some infos and the Temco resistance wire site:

http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/product_selection.html?p=resistance_wire_guides

http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/search.html?category=Resistance_Wire

Handy site here for calculating Ohm's Law and wrapping coils: http://www.steam-engine.org/

Last edited:

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Troy, it totally depends on what you are looking for. There is a great video on youtube called Luxury Vaping. The guy was pegasus1337, but changed his name to Pegasus Vaping Academy, I think. He goes over all the features of different guages. The lower the number, the lower the ohms, but the thicker the wire and the longer the ramp up time. There are lots of variables to consider. Not trying to make it more confusing for you, it actually isn't complicated. However, getting the proper coil takes a bit more study, or trial and error.

Troy Brown

Member For 4 Years
OMG.....You all ROCK!!!
Love that Steam-Engine link for damn sure. That helps tremendously!!
All of that info you all gave helps me a ton.

Thank you all. That is the push in the right direction I needed.

I knew I could count on my Vapor friends here to help.

VU Sponsors