What is Starfield? What We Know So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Starfield is an upcoming space-based RPG from Bethesda Game Studios. Positioned as the next big RPG to stand alongside Bethesda's well-known series like Elder Scrolls and Fallout, it will be the first game out of that studio to center around a new universe in over 25 years. Bethesda first revealed Starfield in 2018, but fresh details finally surfaced after a new trailer was officially revealed at E3 2021. If you’re looking to get caught up on all the latest, take a look at everything we know about Starfield so far.

Starfield Gets A Release Date​

At the Xbox and Bethesda Game Showcase at E3 2021, a trailer officially revealed the Starfield release date. It's scheduled to arrive on November 11, 2022, and will be an Xbox console exclusive, launching solely on Xbox Series X/S and PC.

Bethesda's Pete Hines addressed the Xbox console exclusivity in an interview with GameSpot, offering an apology and saying he gets it and totally understands if people are unhappy or pissed.

"Sorry, all I can really say is, 'I apologize,' because I'm certain that's frustrating to folks, but there's not a whole lot I can do about it."

The Starfield Trailer at E3 2021​

Bethesda showcased an in-engine trailer of Starfield at E3 2021. It centers around an astronaut, as they make their way through a ship and prepare for takeoff. After arriving in a room where they place down their gun, the trailer zooms in on a shelf labeled Stow 84S with a white case marked as Property of Constellation. The trailer then zooms in on an image taped to a wall. What’s in the image (that looks like a blueprint though Todd Howard claims it's not) is unclear, but as the astronaut climbs into their seat, an individual from an organization called Constellation radios in and confirms the astronaut for their departure. The narrator in the trailer says, “They say the wonder is not that the field of stars is so vast but that we have measured it. You’re part of Constellation now. Part of our family. What you found is the key to unlocking everything. This is all we’ve been working towards. We’ve come to the beginning of humanity’s final journey. That’s why we’re here - to discover what’s out there.”

[ignvideo url="https://www.ign.com/videos/2021/06/13/starfield-release-date-trailer"]

Is There An Elder Scrolls 6 Easter Egg in the Starfield Trailer?​

Fans on Reddit speculate there may be an easter egg in the Starfield trailer shown at E3 2021 that may reveal the location of Elder Scrolls 6. If you look closely at the side of the console, there's a small etching that coincidentally resembles the shape of Hammerfell and High Rock, regions found in the continent of Elder Scrolls' Tamriel.

Elder Scrolls VI easter egg in the Starfield trailer pic.twitter.com/AoBfrYLfNj

— MrMattyPlays (@G27Status) June 13, 2021

Starfield's Story Is Still A Mystery​

Not much other than bits and pieces have been revealed about Starfield’s mysterious protagonist and their story. We know it takes place about 300 years into the future and involves a space organization called Constellation, which feels very reminiscent of NASA. Howard calls them the “last group of space explorers.”

In a Telegraph interview, Howard confirmed that, while Constellation is the primary group players will be part of in Starfield, it is one of many groups players will encounter and can join throughout their journey.

Howard has called Starfield an “epic” and said it will "ask big questions” like, are we alone in the universe? Why are we here? What are the origins of space and time? And what role does religion play in all of it?

[widget path="global/article/imagegallery" parameters="slug=starfield-behind-the-scenes-microsoftbethesda-e3-2021&captions=true"]

Starfield Gameplay Features​

Starfield gameplay hasn’t been shown yet, but there are a few features that have been confirmed. The official Starfield site says you’ll be able to “create any character you want and explore with unparalleled freedom.”

In a recent interview with Launcher, Todd Howard said you’ll also be able to choose your character’s background and revealed customizations can affect how your character’s story unfolds.

Howard described Starfield as “Skyrim in space” and Bethesda Managing Director Ashley Cheng called it akin to a “Han Solo simulator” where you’ll be able to “get in a ship, explore the galaxy,” and “do fun stuff.”

In the same Telegraph interview we mentioned earlier, Howard confirmed Starfield will be playable in first and third-person perspectives.

"We like that style of gameplay," he said. "First-person for us is still our prime way of playing. So you can see the world and touch all those things."

Keeping in theme with previous Bethesda games, players can expect to encounter NPCs, and this will include humans, aliens, and even robots. A nod to this can be found in the Starfield trailer shown at the Xbox and Bethesda Showcase during E3 2021. If you look closely, you can spot a note on a blackboard to a robot named Vasco asking them to pick up some “Tranquilitea”, with specific instructions not to get decaf.

Howard said Starfield will have a world that invites players to explore, interact, and test the boundaries of the game.

"We like to put you in a world where we're not dragging you by the nose and saying you must do x, y, and z, and that it's okay for you want to test the [game's boundaries]," he explained.

"You know, can I read this book? Can I pick this up? Can I do this? What if I do this?.. And the game is saying 'yes' a lot."

We’re still a year and some change away from the launch of Starfield so we’re guaranteed to hear and see some more about it as we get closer. Make sure to check back as we’ll be updating this hub as more details about Starfield come out.

[poilib element="accentDivider"]
Felicia Miranda is SEO Editor at IGN. You can follow her at @FeliciaVagabond on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors