Become a Patron!

WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE BEST TUBE MECH MOD??!

PREACHERMAN

Member For 1 Year
My Wife and I have now become interested in tube mech mods - they seem rather simple, sorta like you could build one out of a length of water pipe (LOL!) - but there bound to be some differences in the design and science behind the "Smoke sticks".

Please post with some suggestions about your favorite tube mech mods, also tell us why you like this one or that one - and please add a link, where to order one or two online - thanks in advance!

fightinggoat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can’t go wrong with a broadside, I have the broaddora set that comes with the black broadside mod and matching pandora rda.
Image00002_9e7c555284ecbe1bbf0285c2f53cc378.jpg

Very high quality, switch is the best I have used. Much more affordable than many other high end mech tubes like purge mods.
https://bjboxmods.com/product/broadside/

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well actually when vaping started out people did build mech mods out of copper pipe and fittings....LOL..but besides that...there is no BEST tube mod....there are different mechs for the different needs people have...some people are cloud chasers that want to build really low ohms and they tend to look at competition mods that are designed for saftey and performance.....some people look at mods that are small and easy to operate..some are looking for elegance....it depends on your style of vaping and the things you want out of a mod.if you are looking for a first mech mod the only things I'd recommend is avoid hybrid mods,and get a mod with a good locking ring.

PREACHERMAN

Member For 1 Year
fightinggoat - that is no doubt a beautiful mod! What makes the switch on that mod better than others?

pulsevape - I reckon I could make one, but HOMELOAN security would bust me for making an Atom Bomb - no doubt about it - LOL! I like to blow clouds, my Wife does also - but we are not blowing monster clouds yet - note the yet, we plan on producing HURRYCANES one day (LOL!).

My Wife and I got a Nemesis and a Tree of Life tube mod each - they were very inexpensive, but to us they are GREAT! Have either (or others) of you ever heard of those two mods - and are they pretty good, or are we gonna shoot our eye out? (LOL!)

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1. 2JNT Pilak
2. Subohm Innovations Subzero X

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I still use regularly a Panzer Black Hawk and bought it when it first came out. Hits like a bus, fits everything and is just a solid device. Pretty sure its 4-5 years old or more at this point.

PREACHERMAN

Member For 1 Year
jwill - COOL, I saw the Panzer on YooToot, it looks like it is built like a tank - perhaps the reason for the German name - I do like the stainless version best (I think) - but I am sure the Panzer will be the next tube mod my Wife and I order - thanks for the reply!

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah my pure Silver 2JNT Pilak's nothing hits nor performs as good as them, but then again they've very expensive.

Down to the affordable tubes I really have to say the new Subohm Innovations SubZero X Shorty is awesome. I really, really love the switch design, the entire tube is well machined and she hits extremely well.

qTxUogg.jpg

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I looked those two up - even found a solid silver one - perhaps I need to knock over a liquor store or two before I order - LOL!
yeah Pilak's are expensive but they are made out of over 95% pure silver. What I can't justify is tube Mod's over $200 made out of brass, copper, etc. You know like Purge Mod's, those go for over $300. With 2JNT's Pilak's you get exquisite machining, nice design and all on pure Silver, IMO it's worth the money.

Anyway check out the SubZero Shorty X, it's got excellent machining, design and performance for a decent price.

fightinggoat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
fightinggoat - that is no doubt a beautiful mod! What makes the switch on that mod better than others?

It utilizes a clutch pack held together with an o-ring, makes for a very short throw and no matter where you push the button, it will fire reliably and with less voltage drop than some other switch designs.

I really like the mechanics of this switch style, it stays cleaner and requires less maintenance, never feels gritty and doesn’t attract metal particles like magnetic switches due (a big deal as a mechanic), my magnetic switch mods become instantly covered in and fouled my the metal in my shop, the second I put it in my shirt pocket it’s time for a cleaning. Not so with the broadside switch.

Subohm innovations also use this switch, and I believe it was their creation first. The subzero and shorty mods by SOI are very good as well.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It utilizes a clutch pack held together with an o-ring, makes for a very short throw and no matter where you push the button, it will fire reliably and with less voltage drop than some other switch designs.

I really like the mechanics of this switch style, it stays cleaner and requires less maintenance, never feels gritty and doesn’t attract metal particles like magnetic switches due (a big deal as a mechanic), my magnetic switch mods become instantly covered in and fouled my the metal in my shop, the second I put it in my shirt pocket it’s time for a cleaning. Not so with the broadside switch.

Subohm innovations also use this switch, and I believe it was their creation first. The subzero and shorty mods by SOI are very good as well.
The older Subohm Innovations tubes have the similar design as the Broadside (I like it better myself) and yes they were the first but the newer tubes (the X) are completely different. I wasn't sure if I'd like it better but I do.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Second for subohm innovations X shorty.

It’s one of thosepd purchased you’ll never regret

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well I own 16 tube mechs, and I like them all. It mostly depends on what you are looking for in a tube mech... cost is a relative term and, no, a BJ Box Mods Admiral is NOT necessarily less expensive than a Purge Mods tube mech, as I paid well above $700 (in Euros) for my Admiral hand engraved by Mathew Hagermann whereas my cheapest Purge Mods was only a tad above half that.

That said, are you looking for a stack (series mech) or no? What size batteries do you prefer, and, does it need to be a hybrid? :p

Purge Maelstrom stacked.jpg

zaptear

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
The broadside is a good starter tube note best but solid or soi mods are good to it comes down to your budget
this is what I just went with

72c7139e7b3a54d3fa3f0bc966f14c92.jpg

9d75a1bca1f882bdfd0d4223f32be731.jpg

This is what the sleeve will be made out of
6ef8cf221f5d09f01695f501643cd7e9.jpg

that’s what’s bad a$$ about mechs my best is diff then someone else’s best

This is my best mech mod
329f6ea4df2777afed613d8820dd5bc4.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PREACHERMAN

Member For 1 Year
That said, are you looking for a stack (series mech) or no? What size batteries do you prefer, and, does it need to be a hybrid? :p

I should have been more Pacific (LOL) about what I THINK I would like in a tube mech mod - No stack, just a single 18650 - I think I had rather have one with a floating 510 pen instead of a hybrid (that way I would be able to use all my RDAs. But I don't know enough about them yet to actually know what I want - does that make sense? Thanks for your reply!

Silver is a very, very conductive material - and no doubt the least bit of silver would make the mod more conductive, not to mention really beautiful - BUT,one must also have a fairly conductive wallet (LOL!).

I did look up the "Subohm Innovations SubZero X Shorty" - it seems really cool - except for the pie cut switch with a rubber band holding it together (LOL) - does the O-ring hold up, and is there really no problem with such a set up?

I fear this thing is considered a 'dangerous weapon' in all the United States, possibly around the world - but it might be worth the risk, you coul always boost your car off with it (LOL!).

This is my best mech mod
329f6ea4df2777afed613d8820dd5bc4.jpeg

zaptear, that is cool - but, what is it? (LOL!)

zaptear

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
zaptear, that is cool - but, what is it? (LOL!)

The Pilak High Roller Mod By 2JNT Philippines. The Pilak High Roller is a Pure Silver 24.6mm Tube Incased In Ultem & It Comes With An Ultem Dog Tag.
Hardest hitting 1 cell tube I have owned

PREACHERMAN

Member For 1 Year
The Pilak High Roller Mod By 2JNT Philippines. The Pilak High Roller is a Pure Silver 24.6mm Tube Incased In Ultem & It Comes With An Ultem Dog Tag.
Hardest hitting 1 cell tube I have owned

It is very unique and very COOL - how much is such a jewel, and where did you get it?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is very unique and very COOL - how much is such a jewel, and where did you get it?
They're limited runs, I've got a few and got them from Dragons Den. They run from around $350 to $550 usually.

fightinggoat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The rubber band and pie cut switch is what makes it so great, that’s the clutch pack I was referring to.
I haven’t had any problems from the set up compared to springs or magnets.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I should have been more Pacific (LOL) about what I THINK I would like in a tube mech mod - No stack, just a single 18650 - I think I had rather have one with a floating 510 pen instead of a hybrid (that way I would be able to use all my RDAs. But I don't know enough about them yet to actually know what I want - does that make sense? Thanks for your reply!
I think I understand perfectly, but if your RDA doesn't have a protruding 510 pin (that protrudes at least 1mm from the bottom of the RDA's 510 connector), then TBH going for a tube mod that uses a floating 510 pen won't solve anything from a safety standpoint, as this is really an essential part of being safe on a mech. Usually ones that don't protrude (or don't protrude enough) are tanks instead of are RDAs, though.

That said, I also think you might want to look into tube mods that can accept slightly bigger batteries. In a mech mod, an 18650 battery typically doesn't run longer than just a couple hours, if that... so if you consider that a problem, and you don't mind having to carry around a slightly bigger mod (yes, slightly... :p ), then IMO look at the Barebones Kit by Deathwish Modz (pic below, albeit that one is my limited edition "Ghost Ship" so it has a different artwork on it).

Ghost Ship.jpg
tumblr_ly168sGIOq1qb787qo1_500.gif

Silver is a very, very conductive material - and no doubt the least bit of silver would make the mod more conductive, not to mention really beautiful - BUT,one must also have a fairly conductive wallet (LOL!).
The Barebones Kit is not that expensive, and as you can see in the pic it comes with a matching RDA. I love this setup, and I do mean LOVE IT!
I did look up the "Subohm Innovations SubZero X Shorty" - it seems really cool - except for the pie cut switch with a rubber band holding it together (LOL) - does the O-ring hold up, and is there really no problem with such a set up?
Two of the tube mods that I own are using the same type of switch (my The 99 by Vapergate / BJ Box Mods, and my hand engraved BJ Box Mods Admiral that I already mentioned previously). The O-ring does hold up, but it's fairly easy to check and replace when needed. Not everyone likes the button throw, or how the button feels whilst the button is being pressed─but I don't have any problems with it.
I fear this thing is considered a 'dangerous weapon' in all the United States, possibly around the world - but it might be worth the risk, you coul always boost your car off with it (LOL!).
Yes I am by many considered a very dangerous (and unholy) character! :cheers::D;):p

Last edited:

PREACHERMAN

Member For 1 Year
r055cd, that really is a cool lil mod, but a bit too rich for my blood - that is until my Wife and I decide that tube mech mods at "our thing".

Carambrda, what can I say, Shame on You! LOL! If I got such a Mod, and my Wife did too, some people would really wonder why I ever read MEIN KAMPF! LOLx1,000! Besides, 20700 and 21700 are really car batteries, :vapemail:

fightinggoat, help me keep an eye on these guys, maybe two......Besides, all the Deacons I know have the BADBONES (spl OK), and I like to be far different than they are.......LOL!

PREACHERMAN

Member For 1 Year
Have any of you gys ever heard of the PANZER tube mech mod? Give me your thoughts please.

My Wife and I each got one - what do you think?

PS - see, reading Mein Kampf really did effect me......LOL!

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Have any of you gys ever heard of the PANZER tube mech mod? Give me your thoughts please.

Panzer mods are a great mod (IMO). Still use mine all the time. Highly recommend a magnet switch upgrade from the gate. Makes it super smooth.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT

Panzer mods are a great mod (IMO). Still use mine all the time. Highly recommend a magnet switch upgrade from the gate. Makes it super smooth.

PREACHERMAN

Member For 1 Year

My Wife and I really enjoy ours - and they are built like a tank....eeer.....a Panzer - LOL!

BUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTT - I had a build in my Velocity 22mm reading at 0.21 - put it on the Panzer and fried the spring in the button - I can't get into magnets just yet, but we went to the local parts house and bought some springs (which we had to shorten a bit) and our Panzers are up and running like a Tiger Panzer should!

PS - the spring that came in our Panzers were very wimpy - would not pass Gen. Rommel's inspection - LOL!

Thanks for the kind reply jwill, glad to see a fellow tube mech mod user likes the Panzer also - HEIL TRUMP.......Hmmmmm, that just doesn't have the proper ring - LOL!

irradiated

Member For 4 Years
I have a Roundhouse 2 24mm + extension by Kennedy on the way, I'm thinking it'll be a really nice tube mod. Kennedy takes pride in their work, and the prices are reasonable. Switch looks well designed, and the machining will no doubt be good, so I'll be surprised if I'm disappointed with the mod. They have some dinged up ones for sale here at a reduced price, if you don't mind some cosmetic damage: https://www.kennedyvapor.com/collections/specials/products/blemished-brass-roundhouse-24mm-v1-combo

Vaperz Cloud makes well designed mods at decent prices; I love my VCM2, although I don't think they're in production anymore. There's probably still some floating around for sale, and the mod comes with a hybrid top cap as well as a spring-loaded 510. It was well worth the $100, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Their most recent mods have been more expensive, but stuff like the 11:11 and XXX still look like they're well designed and customizable, and the NATO looks especially intriguing.

yrUjv4u.jpg

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
My Wife and I really enjoy ours - and they are built like a tank....eeer.....a Panzer - LOL!

BUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTT - I had a build in my Velocity 22mm reading at 0.21 - put it on the Panzer and fried the spring in the button - I can't get into magnets just yet, but we went to the local parts house and bought some springs (which we had to shorten a bit) and our Panzers are up and running like a Tiger Panzer should!

PS - the spring that came in our Panzers were very wimpy - would not pass Gen. Rommel's inspection - LOL!

Thanks for the kind reply jwill, glad to see a fellow tube mech mod user likes the Panzer also - HEIL TRUMP.......Hmmmmm, that just doesn't have the proper ring - LOL!

just wore it out from being used so much and the $5 magnet replacement was a nice upgrade and gives a nice smooth button action. The Panzer is pretty bullet proof.

PREACHERMAN

Member For 1 Year
I have a Roundhouse 2 24mm + extension by Kennedy on the way, I'm thinking it'll be a really nice tube mod. Kennedy takes pride in their work, and the prices are reasonable. Switch looks well designed, and the machining will no doubt be good, so I'll be surprised if I'm disappointed with the mod.

I wasn't aware that Kennedy made mech mods - I shall remember - because they do make some bang up stuff - I mentioned earlier about my 22mm Kennedy RDA, that thing is built 'right' and it chunks some real clouds on our mech mods!

jwill, all good things must come to an end, probably because we over-use the good things - LOL! I will try magnets one day - but that would take away from my bending, cutting, and obsessing over tractor and car springs, just to make them fit our mech mod switches - LOL! My Wife and I have crafted springs to fit our Panzers, Nemesis, Tree of Life, and Chi You mods - twas a labor of love (yet almost a job to make a Preacher......eeer.......well, you know - LOL!).

zaptear thinks this is a Start-Warts thread, just look at that new Light-Saber he has - LOL! Now, zaptear, that is a COOL mech mod, but I must learn first to handle one bat-tree before I try a double dose - LOL!

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wasn't aware that Kennedy made mech mods - I shall remember - because they do make some bang up stuff - I mentioned earlier about my 22mm Kennedy RDA, that thing is built 'right' and it chunks some real clouds on our mech mods!

jwill, all good things must come to an end, probably because we over-use the good things - LOL! I will try magnets one day - but that would take away from my bending, cutting, and obsessing over tractor and car springs, just to make them fit our mech mod switches - LOL! My Wife and I have crafted springs to fit our Panzers, Nemesis, Tree of Life, and Chi You mods - twas a labor of love (yet almost a job to make a Preacher......eeer.......well, you know - LOL!).

zaptear thinks this is a Start-Warts thread, just look at that new Light-Saber he has - LOL! Now, zaptear, that is a COOL mech mod, but I must learn first to handle one bat-tree before I try a double dose - LOL!
Kennedy makes wonderful Mod's, I have the first Roundhouse. Also the Ruby is an incredible Mod, one of these days I plan on getting one.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I think I understand perfectly, but if your RDA doesn't have a protruding 510 pin (that protrudes at least 1mm from the bottom of the RDA's 510 connector), then TBH going for a tube mod that uses a floating 510 pen won't solve anything from a safety standpoint, as this is really an essential part of being safe on a mech. Usually ones that don't protrude (or don't protrude enough) are tanks instead of are RDAs, though.
Untrue. The protruding pin is only necessary for HYBRID 510 connections. You can put ANY normal tank on a mech with a 510 pin, and it'll work just fine. Well, as long as the coil specs are within tolerance for whatever mech you're using.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Untrue. The protruding pin is only necessary for HYBRID 510 connections. You can put ANY normal tank on a mech with a 510 pin, and it'll work just fine. Well, as long as the coil specs are within tolerance for whatever mech you're using.
That depends. I guess there exist some mechs with a 510 pin the small diameter of which allows it to function in pretty much the same way as the 510 pin on a regulated mod, but my BJ Box Mods Admiral uses a floating 510 pen, and that is exactly what I was referring to in the part you quoted because... well, please read the message I was replying to:

irradiated

Member For 4 Years
Kennedy makes wonderful Mod's, I have the first Roundhouse. Also the Ruby is an incredible Mod, one of these days I plan on getting one.

The switch in the Roundhouse 2 looks like a nice improvement over the V1, I'm excited to try it. It's also awesome that they can be stacked now. I'd love to get a Ruby one day too, they're gorgeous, and there's no need to ever use an RDA that's not the Kennedy 2-post anyway. :giggle: If I had to run just one RDA forever, and throw away the rest, the Kennedy is what I'd choose.

PREACHERMAN

Member For 1 Year
I SAID IN AN EARLIER THREAD; "I think I had rather have one with a floating 510 pen instead of a hybrid (that way I would be able to use all my RDAs.".

I see now I was in error - the positive post on the Panzer (Infinite) seems rather large - an RDA, without a protruding positive pin might not work on some "floating 510 pins" on some mods - sorry I did not think before I posted that - also I apologize for causing confusion - see I Cor. 14:33.

r055co, I saw the Ruby Mod on youtube - looks like it would be great - we may also have one of those one day.

Silver79, I looked up the Kryptonite Mod - a very simple design (also has reverse threading on the lock ring, like our Panzer and Tree of Life mods, I like that) - but it were a hundurd doblers, that scart me, LOL!

Rick M

Member For 1 Year
My Wife and I have now become interested in tube mech mods - they seem rather simple, sorta like you could build one out of a length of water pipe (LOL!) - but there bound to be some differences in the design and science behind the "Smoke sticks".

Please post with some suggestions about your favorite tube mech mods, also tell us why you like this one or that one - and please add a link, where to order one or two online - thanks in advance!
I like the Ronin X2. The newer one takes 21/20700 and 18650's so you have a lot of control. Im a little late to this one , hehe. Hope you are liking yours

VU Sponsors