Become a Patron!

What do you look for in a mechanical mod?

iLoveVapeMail

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm looking to upgrade into mechanicals and RDAs. What is it that you guys look for when shopping for a new mech mod? Anything specific in performance or design?

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
kayfun-long-tank-fmj.jpg 8e2a4esu.jpg
I have my cousin building me my first mech mod out of copper this week, i asked for 26650 for battery duration, and asked him to make it look as industrial as possible with forced patina. As for fire switch, I left it up to him, as it does not matter as much to me if its a bottom fire or a switch. But more than anything, it had to be copper. I want to get one of the kayfuns so that I can trick it out with all of the add ons you can get now, look at the confun!!! 12 ml of juice, now were talking! even cooler, Long M tank! (for when i put in on my smaller box mod)

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For me personally I look to see what kind of switch it has. I prefer recessed firing switches because when I'm at home I like to set it down with out having to worry about it auto-firing on me. As for a locking feature i really don't mind if it doesn't have one since it will be a mostly at home mod for me. Another good thing to keep an eye one is the contacts. I prefer copper ones but in a pinch brass will do.

Absintheur

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
For me a mechanical is about size...I like mine small these days for the stealth factor. I will admit tho one of my hardest hitters is a solid copper old school mod made from plumbing pieces using an 18650.
copsteam2.jpg

Being new to mechanical mods can be a bit daunting. Personally I look for mods with the lowest voltage drop, but for a beginner I recommend a telescoping mod with a floating 510 such as the sentinel by grand vapor. You already have allot to learn might as well make setting up your mod easy.

KREAM

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
For me, in addition to being pleasing to MY eye, a mech generally needs these things (not in any particular order) for me to consider purchasing it:

- the mod should have versatility such that I can use different batteries in it, with a preference for 18350 mode
- the mod should have an adjustable or spring loaded firing pin, preferably copper or brass
- the mod should have adequate venting
- the mod should have a good, non crunchy switch, preferably with the ability to lock (if the switch is magnetic, that's an added plus)

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For my tastes my mod must be genuine as I don't do Chinese clones..cloned Attys are fine but I want a quality USA made mod, that comes with a warranty and backed up by the company that built it..its a long ways to China if your clone performs poorly or needs parts..lol
I prefer my mod to be copper with a recessed magnetic button that doesn't use or even need a locking ring.. For me locking rings are a pain in the ass, if I even remember to use them..my mod also must use a 26650 battery that goes a long time on a single charge and have a hybrid pin less top cap insuring a very low voltage drop..finally I don't need any fancy engraving on my mod.. I would much rather pay for quality materials than for the extra labor for engraving that has nothing to do with mod performance... But that's just me, everybody has their own preferences....

from Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

GargoyleK1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Heavy, Well Built, smooth threads, sectional design that accepts multiple battery sizes. Floating top pin and recessed bottom fire button with no lock. When I was looking I found slim pickings.. Then I found the Maraxus.. Love it!

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Floating pin usually has voltage drop issues.. screwed together tubes also contributes to voltage drop..I use a hard hitting single copper tube ..but I'm picky... Lol

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As previously mentioned, smooth switch is a big one, and I want good conductivity and simplicity. Pinoy built mods are my first pick, then European. Not a fan of USA mods though unfortunately.

Absintheur

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It would be tough to go wrong with a Smok Magneto for a first mech, low price, well made, magnetic switch. I finally bought one to try them out, have my Grail for the Diver on it for dripping and it is very nice.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I prefer brass and copper Mech mods it must have squeaky clean threading either the ability to upgrade the magnets so I can sit it down without even locking the ring must have a large surface area for the top and borrom contacts as this lowers resistance and loss I really do not care about the stylying that much I do like crazy looking things I have a few but my favorits are brass and Copper :) I do not care if its authentic or not as long as its been well done

GreaseMonkey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Single tube, i stick with 18650 batteries, recessed button, only been using stainless steel mods with brass connectors, i like my mod to have a bit of weight behind it, no lock ring, personally im an rda guy, i like 3 posts for dual coil builds, and adjustable air flow

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Single tube, i stick with 18650 batteries, recessed button, only been using stainless steel mods with brass connectors, i like my mod to have a bit of weight behind it, no lock ring, personally im an rda guy, i like 3 posts for dual coil builds, and adjustable air flow
I am a RDA guy I like 5 posts with dual entry points on the positive center pin ;) yes copper or silver plated copper doenst matter as the silver will wear off is a must :)

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like 18650, adjustable contacts, bottom switch (preferably magnetic), and stainless steel. Copper and brass are nicer but they tarnish and need to have their threads cleaned more often than i care to deal with. I prefer sleek and functional. But no matter what, utility and durability are paramount.

ButtKickers

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Single tube, a smooth button, minimalist engraving, and NOTHING with dragons, skulls, etc.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Recessed button/no lock ring, magnet/no spring, direct 510 pin to battery connection. 4nine or surfrider low maintenance stainless steel for me.

The question wasn't asked but if you are also undecided on your dripper, the magma is one of the easiest build out of the hand full of rda's I have.

Last edited:

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not sure if I'll ever buy another mechanical unless it's a modbox and has at least a 4000-6000mah lipo battery. And a decent switch and 510 is also totally essential. I'd still like it to give me a battery reading

iLoveVapeMail

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
wow, awesome thanks for all the responses. I asked for email iupdates on this thread and only got 1 so I thought I only got one response lol

I'll look into some of your suggestions, thinking about giving this a try. I am into black myself.

DSC03234.JPG

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
12284a59fd8ed6a0e5bab1b48049cc03.jpg

Only black mod I own is this provari..my mech mods are either copper or stainless as I'm more interested in a low voltage drop rather than color of the mod.. Cheers

iLoveVapeMail

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Low Voltage Drop and Sub Ohms are still relativy new terms to me that I havent fully researched yet lol... man I got lots to learn.

Absintheur

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Originality is nice too, one of my favorite mechs has never been cloned, the Chameleon from the UK. The ring under the top cap slides up to fire the mods and locks down when not being used.

DSC00703.jpg

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
05be6de2d7b536b4ac76bc69825936c0.jpg

A recessed button is a button that is recessed into the switch housing usually magnetic and without the need of a locking ring to stand it up safely without accidental firing

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lock ring...
Unlock, puff puff puff, lock... Unlock, puff puff puff, lock.
Recessed button...
Puff puff puff... puff puff puff ;)

Besides the inconvenience, I was driving and set my stingray down in the cup holder (concentrating on driving not locking) and 10 or so minutes later smelt a caramel kind of smell.... oh shit! My mod was burning hot driving 80 mph holding it in front of the AC vent to cool it down. Baked the black coating off the top tube of the stingray.

Won't happen again, I don't use mods with lock rings anymore.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree with you 100% there .. I've burnt the insulator out of three different RBA's forgetting that damn locking ring. Now my mods all have recessed buttons that I truly like a lot better

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
2przkmb.jpg

Recessed switch with a soft spring or light magnet is awesome, but very bad for juice consumption since you cant help touching the button every time you look at the mod lol

I used to have a Stingray clone which I really liked, but having to spin the collar a dozen times to lock/unlock it just drove me insane. Very good for juice consumption though, I was vaping much less than I am now ;)

GreaseMonkey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am a RDA guy I like 5 posts with dual entry points on the positive center pin ;) yes copper or silver plated copper doenst matter as the silver will wear off is a must :)
Never used 5 posts before, but I've seen em, I'll have to try one sometime.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I think some people like them but I don't use them personally..I prefer my mech mods to be one solid tube or a couple tubes screwed together like the nemesis..or use a batt extension like on the provari.. My brother had a telescopic mod called a K101 (I think) a long time ago and got rid of it because it just didn't hit that well compared to the18650 brass surfrider with a solid tube.. But I do think it comes down to personal preference and convenience..

Last edited:

GreaseMonkey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't like telescopic mods cause the first one I had I couldn't feel if it was too tight and ruined a battery, solid tubes are just easy

dmska

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
One solid tube, with an option for other sizes is a preference. Brass contacts preferably, bottom-firing button. Doesn't necessarily have to lock, even though I stand mine up all the time. Personally I like brushed stainless tubes over brass or copper. Oh, and I don't like tubes that are too "busy" less is more in this case.

guppstatus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm also looking into my first mech, are there any downsides to the nemesis, tree of life, king, mutant, or manhattan? I'm partial to the nemesis, my local b&m has a 49ers one.

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It would be nice if everyone chiming in can give an example of what they describe (if it exists) - it would help a lot of folks looking to get their first mod... or a different mod.

I myself am looking for magnetic over spring, recessed over locking, 18650 over 26650 and preferably SS. Which mod/s fit that description...?

deftones

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When I'm looking for a new mech, here's my crash test:
- diameter: must be 22mm (not 23, not 21.8 or other funky size)
- switch: must be bottom and recessed, very short throw, not wobbly, no misfires, not too stiff
- nothing telescopic to adjust (I prefer topcapless mods, or hybrid adapters at least)
- available in 1 single piece 18650 tube, and as short as possible (less than 80mm)
- as much sleek and flush as possible: no logo, no slant, no bevel, no engravings, no serials

When a mod has passed this test, I'm ready to try it and consider minor details such as availability, finish, material, conductivity, venting, price, etc.
Of course that's just personal preference coming other time after using a lot of mods.

If this is your first mech, the classic Nemesis is a good place to start.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 5843 View attachment 5841
I have my cousin building me my first mech mod out of copper this week, i asked for 26650 for battery duration, and asked him to make it look as industrial as possible with forced patina. As for fire switch, I left it up to him, as it does not matter as much to me if its a bottom fire or a switch. But more than anything, it had to be copper. I want to get one of the kayfuns so that I can trick it out with all of the add ons you can get now, look at the confun!!! 12 ml of juice, now were talking! even cooler, Long M tank! (for when i put in on my smaller box mod)

Got a link for the long Kayfun tank and chimney, @Celtic Fog?

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
here is the link to the chimney
http://shop.vaperev.com/kayfun-long-chimney.html
here is the long m tank
http://shop.vaperev.com/kayfun-m-tank-long-mode-55mm-x-23mm.html
the tank works with the V3.1/ Lite/Lite "Plus" models and ive read the russian 91 also
h
ere is the link to the confun ss upgrage
http://www.fasttech.com/product/1808007-the-confun-tank-accessory-kit-for-30mm-kayfun-lite
you need the 26650 upgrade system for the confun
Here is a link to a cloned 26650 version, but you can buy an upgrade kit for your original as well.
http://www.vaportekusa.com/26650-kayfun-lite-plus-by-tobeco/
here are a couple other parts, these guys have some cool stuff.
http://science-of-vaping.myshopify.com/collections/v1-glass-kit

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Last edited:

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm in love with my Infinite Copper Cartel clones

Recessed switch
No locking ring
Smooth threads
Silver plated contacts
Single tube, so less voltage drop
Copper copper copper, I like copper lol
Upgraded authentic spring from cartel mods, it's smooth and easy, but it could hold the weight of the mod. Important with no locking ring.

I never touch my akuma or stingray anymore. I really hate having to constantly lock and unlock. And copper for me is great. I love patinas, so I like it dirty, and I just maintain my threads and contact points. Since it's a soft metal, I use noalox, and it does the trick.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
here is the link to the chimney
http://shop.vaperev.com/kayfun-long-chimney.html
here is the long m tank
http://shop.vaperev.com/kayfun-m-tank-long-mode-55mm-x-23mm.html
the tank works with the V3.1/ Lite/Lite "Plus" models and ive read the russian 91 also
h
ere is the link to the confun ss upgrage
http://www.fasttech.com/product/1808007-the-confun-tank-accessory-kit-for-30mm-kayfun-lite
you need the 26650 upgrade system for the confun
Here is a link to a cloned 26650 version, but you can buy an upgrade kit for your original as well.
http://www.vaportekusa.com/26650-kayfun-lite-plus-by-tobeco/
here are a couple other parts, these guys have some cool stuff.
http://science-of-vaping.myshopify.com/collections/v1-glass-kit

Thanks @Celtic Fog and @deftones.

VU Sponsors