Become a Patron!

What do I need to make it work?

C4ppucino

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hiya all, new guy here, both in this forum, and in vaping world.

So I got my shipment package of vaping equipment today. I got the Kanger Sub-tank, Kbox, and a USB passthrough, something like this:

New_E_Cig_Mini_VV_Mod_USB_Passthrough_3_0_3_6_4_2_4_8V__06903.1405340425.220.200.jpg

Well, I found out the hard way that it won't work with the sub-tank, and after some googling, it's because the sub-tank is sub-ohm (0.5 ohms). The LED in the passthrough just kept blinking around without doing anything. I plugged it to my Ipad's wall charger (5V 2A).

My question is, is there a way to make the passthrough work with the sub-tank? Perhaps a 4 or 5A USB wall charger? I'm thinking of getting one, but just wanna make sure if they'll work, or if I need higher ampere rating or something. I'm a heavy smoker (think 3 packs/day), so rotating batteries won't be fast enough for me.

Thank you in advance.

Tim Vatic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No, that passthrough will not fire anything below 1.2Ω, which until the recent sub ohm craze hit was considered to be "low resistance" You need a device that is made to fire a "Sub ohm" coil if you want to use your tank. I suggest the CF sub ohm or the ego one.

C4ppucino

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No, that passthrough will not fire anything below 1.2Ω, which until the recent sub ohm craze hit was considered to be "low resistance" You need a device that is made to fire a "Sub ohm" coil if you want to use your tank. I suggest the CF sub ohm or the ego one.

Ah ok then. I can use the tank now, as I already got the VV Kbox. It's just that with my smoking habit (nonstop puffing), and my job that's mostly stationary, in front of my PC, I'd really love a power line electric solution, instead of 1850 battery of the Kbox.

What ego do you suggest? I don't need anything fancy, I just need the passthrough feature and able to work with the sub-tank.

Will this thing work, or is it just the same thing?

1368704-4-thumb.jpg

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You could always use the 1.2 ohm coil with it and use it on the pass-thru.

C4ppucino

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You could always use the 1.2 ohm coil with it and use it on the pass-thru.

Damn, stupid me....

All this hours scrounging google to find an answer (and ended up in this forum), I took another look at the packaging box. Turned out the subtank included 2 OCCs, the pre-installed 0.5ohms, and another one 1.2ohms. I could see the other OCC when I unboxed it, but I thought it was just a spare of the exact same specification. Guess I'll just puff all the liquid out of the current tank, and change the OCC then.

What different does the 1.2ohms do? Is it slower heating? Less/more battery consuming?

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Les heat, and lower battery consumption because you run it at a lower wattage usually.I'm running a Fogger with a single coil configuration (about 1. 3 ohms), and it works well at 8.5-10 watts, if I change over to dual coils and sub-ohm, will need to run it around 20-30 watts.

ConcreteBob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you are willing to shell.out for a different mod, perhaps sell the kbox and get it, try an istick. Or if you want to go high end, try a Jellyfish.

C4ppucino

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Les heat, and lower battery consumption because you run it at a lower wattage usually.I'm running a Fogger with a single coil configuration (about 1. 3 ohms), and it works well at 8.5-10 watts, if I change over to dual coils and sub-ohm, will need to run it around 20-30 watts.

Yes, finally changed the OCC to 1.2 ohms. The passthrough now works, but slow as a turtle to heat up, at its highest voltage (4.8V). 1.2 ohms with the kbox requires me to step up the wattage 1 step (8W to 13W), but no problems whatsoever with the kbox.

Now what can I do with the passthrough to make it faster? Get a bigger ampere USB wall charger? I'm thinking of using a higher voltage input, something like 9V. If the passthrough's inner is just some voltage-dropping resistors, then 9V input should be no problem. But of course if it got some kind of 5V chip, it will fry. Any ideas?

If you are willing to shell.out for a different mod, perhaps sell the kbox and get it, try an istick. Or if you want to go high end, try a Jellyfish.

Uhm well, I do love the Kbox for both its looks and functionality. The option is to just get an additional mod, one with passthrough. I'm looking around for something like that, but all I could find was the ego V3. At $25-$30 (about the same price as the kbox), I'm still considering if I'd get one or no....

VU Sponsors