Become a Patron!

What different mosfets can I use

RonaldStark

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There isn't much info about gate voltage or anything in the description so it's hard to tell, for me anyways.

It is n-channel, and can handle a huge amp load but without knowing the gate threshold it's hard to say.
Seems like a super crazy good deal if it is workable for this purpose, which leads me to sort of doubt that it is.

Digikey is where I've got my m-fets and p-fets, and the shipping always arrives the next day so that's always an option.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using

DIY FancyLights

Member For 4 Years
The IRFZ44N won't work in a mod. The Gate voltage needed is too high for most boxes and even then the RDSon resistance will be high. When selection MOSFET's, one of the biggest tools to use from the spec sheet is any graph RDSon vs Gate Voltage. The IRLB3034PBF is a recommended part, but most people will tell you to avoid buying them from eBay or Amazon because most of those are fakes.

I'm one of those people selling on eBay, but my MOSFET's are genuine bough in bulk from the normal distributors such as DigiKey or Mouser

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251784662270

We also have a good SMD MOSFET available alread mounted on a PCB with the 15K pulldown:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261960164740

yes you can i used 2 irfz44n on my box mod and its not heating. use 2 mosfet instead of one for your mod to function

DIY FancyLights

Member For 4 Years
yes you can i used 2 irfz44n on my box mod and its not heating. use 2 mosfet instead of one for your mod to function
With no information about his build like what voltages & currents he's using or the space available, I had to give the conservative answer to help make sure he gets the proper results. Most people don't understand what Vgs(th) & RDSon really mean or how much the voltages & currents involved will affect everything.

With no information about his build like what voltages & currents he's using or the space available, I had to give the conservative answer to help make sure he gets the proper results. Most people don't understand what Vgs(th) & RDSon really mean or how much the voltages & currents involved will affect everything.

series connection about 8.4v

DIY FancyLights

Member For 4 Years
Yes, I could see in a 2S build using two of those MOSFET's could work as long as you don't go too low on your coil.

Even with two being used you are still at 7x the resistance of a single IRLB3034PBF, but the higher voltage also means you'll be drawing 1/2 the current and then the MOSFET's have a chance to be turned on more. If you approach or go over 20A you'll start generating 3W - 8W of heat at the MOSFET's instead of 1W or less. Which in a case with restricted cooling can start to affect their performance.

My point though was that the original poster hadn't specified any details at all, and there are a lot of people that will go for a 1S2P build instead of a 2S. Since there was no information about the actual build, for safety reasons using such 'weak' MOSFET's couldn't be recommended. Plus, there are other real world factors which discourage this part where it may work better for some people then others even in a 2S box.

Hey there. I have a question. Can I use 2 irfz44n in a dual parallel 18650 box mod with an atomizer resistance of around 0.08 to 0.1 ohms?

DIY FancyLights

Member For 4 Years
Hey there. I have a question. Can I use 2 irfz44n in a dual parallel 18650 box mod with an atomizer resistance of around 0.08 to 0.1 ohms?
With a Vgs(th) of 2-4V which is where is starts to turn on, I wouldn't even consider one or more irfz44n for anything less then a 2S setup. At 2P you risk turning on the MOSFET's only partially, causing them to heat up.

For 2P setups, you must check carefully what the specs ar for as low as 3.6V, and rules out a large number of MOSFET's.

VU Sponsors