Become a Patron!

What did you do today that is vape related?

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got that email saying my order is out for delivery :D LOL Pics in vape mail later..nothing crazy, some juice and coils. (the way I intended my vapelife to go) I've made the decision to stop obsessing about tanks,mods,rda's,etc and just VAPE..Maybe DIY ejuice next month :)

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I got that email saying my order is out for delivery :D LOL Pics in vape mail later..nothing crazy, some juice and coils. (the way I intended my vapelife to go) I've made the decision to stop obsessing about tanks,mods,rda's,etc and just VAPE..Maybe DIY ejuice next month :)

Yeah.. I've been watching my son trying out stainless for coils, he really likes it... but it sure causes a lot more drama than plain ol kanthal -- I've had maybe 1-2 hot legs on coils in 3.5 yrs vaping, using kanthal. Using SS, he's had 2 in the last 3 wks. Kanthal may not be very exciting, but it WORKS. That's all it needs to do.

I suppose a case could be made for the fact that he's a new vaper, new builder... but hellfire, it ain't exactly rocket science. If you can wrap wire around a drillbit and operate a screwdriver, it's really not that challenging. He may need to tweak a few settings, maybe get some 27ga wire, to get the kind of vape he wants, using kanthal, but the up-side is, no hot legs when you need to be at school in 30 minutes. :facepalm:

Andria

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Discovered that my Charon mod & big baby are pretty durable when my daughter was playing around & thought it'd be funny to threaten to drop them off I did not give her the TV remote. She held it over her head & made the that, when she saw that I was getting upset she got nervous & accidentally dropped it for real. Thank goodness it still works perfectly & didn't even get a scratch from the 3 & 1/2 foot drop! She felt pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Went around to all the vape shops in town to find top caps for my Tobecco Supertank RTA and Mini's. Was lucky to find some but got raped compared to what I could have paid for them online. I also picked up a Kylin RTA while I was at one shop. I am very pleased with the Kylin, great flavor and clouds. I installed dual alien coils and it chucks some vapor. I am running the Kylin on my VT133 for now. I may end up with it on my Cartel Revenant but got a RMA today to send it back for the battery door issue. Had a good day overall and attaching a picture of the Kylin on the VT133 VT133 with Kylin resized.jpg

geoffd

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Went around to all the vape shops in town to find top caps for my Tobecco Supertank RTA and Mini's. Was lucky to find some but got raped compared to what I could have paid for them online. I also picked up a Kylin RTA while I was at one shop. I am very pleased with the Kylin, great flavor and clouds. I installed dual alien coils and it chucks some vapor. I am running the Kylin on my VT133 for now. I may end up with it on my Cartel Revenant but got a RMA today to send it back for the battery door issue. Had a good day overall and attaching a picture of the Kylin on the VT133 View attachment 90751
Nice setup

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah.. I've been watching my son trying out stainless for coils, he really likes it... but it sure causes a lot more drama than plain ol kanthal -- I've had maybe 1-2 hot legs on coils in 3.5 yrs vaping, using kanthal. Using SS, he's had 2 in the last 3 wks. Kanthal may not be very exciting, but it WORKS. That's all it needs to do.

I suppose a case could be made for the fact that he's a new vaper, new builder... but hellfire, it ain't exactly rocket science. If you can wrap wire around a drillbit and operate a screwdriver, it's really not that challenging. He may need to tweak a few settings, maybe get some 27ga wire, to get the kind of vape he wants, using kanthal, but the up-side is, no hot legs when you need to be at school in 30 minutes. :facepalm:

Andria

FWIW Andria, I've been using SS, mostly 28 gauge, for about a year now and have never had any issues with hot legs. I mostly do non-contact coils now, but I have also tried a bunch with contact. Heck, sometimes I've gone back and forth with the same coil :)

My bet is the same thing would happen to him with Kanthal. He'll get better as he gets more experience
yes3.gif

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
FWIW Andria, I've been using SS, mostly 28 gauge, for about a year now and have never had any issues with hot legs. I mostly do non-contact coils now, but I have also tried a bunch with contact. Heck, sometimes I've gone back and forth with the same coil :)

My bet is the same thing would happen to him with Kanthal. He'll get better as he gets more experience
yes3.gif

Maybe so. I don't really know how to advise him, since I've never had a real problem with it -- my issues at first were about wicking, the coils always behaved themselves. What causes the hot-leg problem? I know it when I see it, I just don't have a clue how to avoid it, to tell him.

I'm considering ordering some 27ga kanthal for him, but I'm not sure how well it would work in Kayfuns, which he's using. He tried to use the 26ga SS that I have, but the wire is too fat to stay under those tiny screws, and I'm afraid the 27ga kanthal would be the same; the 28ga kanthal works fine, but maybe the 27ga would be too fat, like the 26ga SS.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Only hot leg problems I have had are from loose connections at a coil end.

Ok, I'll remember that! Maybe I'll get him to rebuild his kayfun today with SS again, and to make double-damn sure the screws are tight on the wires. I always loop the wire *around* the screw when mounting that type (my achilles has the same type mounting, just slightly larger screws), but maybe he's not getting enough of the wire around the screw for it to stay tight.

I haven't had any issues with those screws staying tight, vaping at <10w; does TC vaping cause more of an issue with the screws loosening from use?

Andria

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Tried out some juices that are steeping. Good news is that at least 75% of then will make it into a tank in a few weeks, bad news, some I don't think will even make it into a dump bottle. Tmaxx & V3 all may turn out to be very good. Fingers crossed. Oh, and of course vdw and rewicking. Also ordered 60ml of Respect from ejuices.com 25% off code HELP25.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe so. I don't really know how to advise him, since I've never had a real problem with it -- my issues at first were about wicking, the coils always behaved themselves. What causes the hot-leg problem? I know it when I see it, I just don't have a clue how to avoid it, to tell him.

As Mr Cromwell said, loose connections are always a bad idea, and even more so if you're trying to run in TC mode. Any change in build resistance is going to give you a problem with TC.

New contact coils typically get some hot spots until the wire surfaces that touch become oxidized enough to stop shorts from happening. With them I almost always get a hot spot between wraps or on a leg until I've fired the coil a few times and/or strummed the coil a few times with something. This hardly ever happens to me with spaced coils.

Before I put wicking into a coil I fire it and make sure there are no hot spots between wraps or with a leg. If there is a hot spot you can get rid of it then before the wicking is in.

Might also be a good idea for your son to fire the coil after wicking and juicing it to make sure no part of the coil glows then. It can change after wicking, two coils can be moved by the wicking so they touch, and this is real quick to do to make sure. If this check is good, he should be good to go :)

I'm considering ordering some 27ga kanthal for him, but I'm not sure how well it would work in Kayfuns, which he's using. He tried to use the 26ga SS that I have, but the wire is too fat to stay under those tiny screws, and I'm afraid the 27ga kanthal would be the same; the 28ga kanthal works fine, but maybe the 27ga would be too fat, like the 26ga SS.

Andria

Ya, there's not much size difference between 27 and 28 gauge wire but I don't have any Kayfuns so I'm no help here. Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post, but why won't 28 gauge work for him?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As Mr Cromwell said, loose connections are always a bad idea, and even more so if you're trying to run in TC mode. Any change in build resistance is going to give you a problem with TC.

New contact coils typically get some hot spots until the wire surfaces that touch become oxidized enough to stop shorts from happening. With them I almost always get a hot spot between wraps or on a leg until I've fired the coil a few times and/or strummed the coil a few times with something. This hardly ever happens to me with spaced coils.

Before I put wicking into a coil I fire it and make sure there are no hot spots between wraps or with a leg. If there is a hot spot you can get rid of it then before the wicking is in.

Might also be a good idea for your son to fire the coil after wicking and juicing it to make sure no part of the coil glows then. It can change after wicking, two coils can be moved by the wicking so they touch, and this is real quick to do to make sure. If this check is good, he should be good to go :)

Ya, there's not much size difference between 27 and 28 gauge wire but I don't have any Kayfuns so I'm no help here. Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post, but why won't 28 gauge work for him?

28ga works ok for him; he prefers the TC vape, he can get the kind of warm vape he wants without worrying about it burning the wick. Since he doesn't have a lot of experience, non-TC seems more difficult to him, all the different factors involved -- wicking, wire, air flow, wattage, etc. I'm doing my best to help him out, lots of coil-building and wicking experience here, but he likes it warmer than I do, and more vapor/higher wattage. He knows he doesn't want to huff, so all the modern attys are really out of the question; he's pretty much stuck with what I have -- 3 Kayfuns (no way in hell will I share my 2 Achilles, which he wouldn't like anyway, he likes a slightly more airy MtL draw). I keep trying to tell him that he can take those hex-screws completely out of the Kayfuns, and I think eventually he will; he got a 50/50 juice today and really had to loosen the draw, it's so much thicker than the 75/25 I've been making for him -- I'm just waiting for the whistly-cough to start, because he knows already that 75/25 is the best PG/VG ratio for him.

I've already trained him to give the coils a few pulses right after building, and no hot spots then, no hot legs; the hot legs present themselves after a day or two of use. That's what I don't understand, what causes them, just all of a sudden after vaping fine for a while.

Andria

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've already trained him to give the coils a few pulses right after building, and no hot spots then, no hot legs; the hot legs present themselves after a day or two of use. That's what I don't understand, what causes them, just all of a sudden after vaping fine for a while.

Andria

I don't know Andria, it doesn't happen to me so I have no experience with it. Obviously something in the setup is changing, but it beats me.

Maybe try setting it up for him yourself and see if it still happens. One variable is the wire size compared to your setups.

I've got nothing else right now :(

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@AndriaD What will you do if your son goes over to the dark side and comes in one day with a TFV12 tank?

Well, I don't really care, as long as he doesn't come in reeking of cigarette smoke, that's fine. :D But I don't think he will; like me, he can't see any earthly reason to huff when you're trying to avoid smoking, there is no similarity in the act at all... and though it's not quite as severe as me (he doesn't have asthma, just periodic bouts of asthmatic bronchitis), he can't tolerate too much VG; as I said, I expect any time now to hear him coughing as if he's inhaled a whistle; just using 70/30 gave him that a little, so he went to 75/25, and even 78/22, so i don't think the 50/50 will suit him for all day/all the time vaping. I told him if it starts bothering him, I've got some banana flavor, some custard flavors, and even some banana nut flavor, and lots of PG, so I can probably doctor up the 50/50 and keep it tasting good (it's a banana pudding flavor).

I also don't think he'll be interested in anything that uses replaceable coils rather than rebuildable; he's not quite the tightwad I am, but he's a good deal broker than I am. :giggle: He's delighted not to be paying thru the nose for cigarettes anymore, yet not feeling any lack or any suffering from not-smoking. :D

Andria

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Reorganized all my batteries and which atty goes on which mod. Oh yeah got in trouble for ordering another mod. But honey it's a Labor Day sale and a great deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get in trouble for new mods all the time. :p At this time, though, I have to agree -- I have enough mods right now and don't need any more. ;)

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
G'day ladies and gents. Went to the local vape shop and got a spool of 26g kanthal and a bottle of alien piss. Almost bought a mason 30mm dump tank but I think I remember iffy reviews on it so I passed it up. Also downloaded vape tool for my brand new phone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, I rebuilt one of my son's Kayfuns, using 28ga SS, and made sure that puppy was tight. Also, some of the Kayfuns, the block is wiggling a bit, and that might also cause some problems, so I made sure the 510 screw was nice and tight. Hopefully it's just a case of an inexperienced builder who needs a bit more seasoning to really be expert. ;)

Andria

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Ordered MTV mandarin pineapple juice so it can be steeping. Need to dyi that stuff, have to order every month to stay ahead of steep time. Put some stuff in VaporDNA cart, waiting to see if they have better coupon next couple of days.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got a good 2'nd start on organizing and cataloguing my vapocalypse boxes. Came to the conclusion there is really too much stuff in there I'm very likely never gonna use. Then again, what do you do with something like an old non-TC Sigelei 150 except toss it ... and I can't quite get myself to do that yet :wait:

And I'm still working on getting fit enough to go for vaping dog walks
dance3.gif

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
VDW, chilly this morning; was good walk. Resident hawk must have been hunting elsewhere, birds were singing. Ordered mod, tank, coils, and juice from VaporDNA. Happily vaping away at work to stay awake.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pulled out some old rda's I'm not using anymore to VIF to my ex wife who started vaping.Got her the Patriot and a mad hatter. Too bad she wasn't this smart when we were married. Then again maybe she was.ha ha ha

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Edit, I'll be building everything for her for a while. She's got a couple tanks but wants to try dripping.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Ryedan You and Sadie cross my mind every morning while enjoying vdw. Hopefully you'll be joining us soon!:)

Thank you Letitia9! I'm walking around 4 miles every other day now, but still need the cane. It's mostly the abduction muscles, it's amazing how much we depend on them for walking. Unfortunately they get dissected and then take some time to strengthen after healing.

It's coming along though, I actually need the cane a bit less almost every day now. And it gives me a solid goal to work for which is good motivation. I'm hoping we'll be back to it by the beginning of October :bliss:

VU Sponsors