Become a Patron!

What causes a random burnt hit?

Hey gals/guys, still new here. I was vaping today with my Smoant Ranker at 66 watts. All of a sudden I got a burnt hit, even though the coil is only 2 days old. I checked the liquid level and it was almost full. I checked the wattage and it hadn't changed. I thought maybe it was my imagination but the next 2 hits definitely tasted burnt. I dialed it back to 56 watts and it was OK but a couple hours later I tried going back to the high 60s and had the burnt taste again. I'm now back at 66W and it tastes OK but I'm wondering what happened. Is this is hardware issue with my mod? I usually vape between 66 and 80W.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Hey gals/guys, still new here. I was vaping today with my Smoant Ranker at 66 watts. All of a sudden I got a burnt hit, even though the coil is only 2 days old. I checked the liquid level and it was almost full. I checked the wattage and it hadn't changed. I thought maybe it was my imagination but the next 2 hits definitely tasted burnt. I dialed it back to 56 watts and it was OK but a couple hours later I tried going back to the high 60s and had the burnt taste again. I'm now back at 66W and it tastes OK but I'm wondering what happened. Is this is hardware issue with my mod? I usually vape between 66 and 80W.
What tank and coil?

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It sounds like improper wicking.... Rip it apart and start again.....

There are too many variables to find a quick response .......

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry, should have mentioned...it's a voopoo uforce coil, not building my own yet.
It's usually a faulty coil or a not accurate mod.....

Some coils do come faulty from the manufacturer, but not often (1) out of 15 maybe..... Or (1) out of (20)...... I also have seen some that out of a (5) pack all are defective.....

Second the mod..... If the mod is constantly pegged on an ohm reading of .20 for example it might give you constant hits (ie. A DNA chip).....

But if at one point it reads a different reading like budget mods are able to do, it could burn the cotton or flood because of the incorrect wattage it might be putting out according to the ohms it's reading.

Hopefully is a defective coil.... Or that you're e-juice can be too tick *high VG* most manufactured coils do not wick correctly if the ratio is higher than 70/30...... Some coils(Sub ohm) coils even leak if the mixture is below 80/20.....

That's my opinion......

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

You may want to try vaping at the lowest wattage that gives you a satisfactory vape - if 56 can give you the vape you like, don't worry about going higher

Random dry hits from factory-type coils is often from the wicking not being able to keep up with higher heat

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
What Lucy said... can also be your juice is to thick for the coil.
You can try taking a straight pin and poking a hole or two in the juice ports of the coil.

Laurent

Member For 4 Years
If your in a cold or hot weather climate it will affect the viscosity of the juice no matter what VG/PG you are using. Cold will thicken and hot weather will thin ejuice. In warmer weather I've never had any issues wicking or burnt hits. However, I'm very careful if the juice gets cold in winter as it will take much longer for wicking and can cause dry hits.

I've also noticed wicking is much faster when I don't fill my tanks all the way to the top and leave room for some air.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
next time it happens = open the top to vent the tank. and watch for bubbles out of the wick ports. then hit it.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you get perfect hit, perfect hit, perfect hit, burnt (not slightly dry) hit and you’re using variable wattage mode then you’re likely having an inconsistent connection somewhere. When the resistance jumps up, the mod sends much more voltage to the coil and you get an immediate burnt hit. Using variable voltage if available will not fix the shit connection, but will stop the burnt hits when the resistance moves around.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
One Burnt hit flames the cotton in any coil and doesn't matter if it is a custom or factory coils.

Last edited:
If you get perfect hit, perfect hit, perfect hit, burnt (not slightly dry) hit and you’re using variable wattage mode then you’re likely having an inconsistent connection somewhere. When the resistance jumps up, the mod sends much more voltage to the coil and you get an immediate burnt hit. Using variable voltage if available will not fix the shit connection, but will stop the burnt hits when the resistance moves around.

That's kinda what I was thinking happened. The coil never really seemed to recover from it so I changed it and things have been OK since.

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I used to have problems like this but they stopped after I switched to making 65/35 VG/PG juices. That extra 5% of PG really makes a difference.

tejas240

Member For 2 Years
Another thing to try is change the uforce coils for some fireluke mesh coils. They fit voopoo tanks and are better according to what I've seen. The kind that go in the twister kit, not the big freemax mesh pro.

VU Sponsors