Become a Patron!

What are the basic techniques for flavor chasing in an RDA?

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I see some great threads on builds/wicking for flavor in an RDA, but are there a few rules or commonly held techniques for flavor as opposed to clouds? I guess I should just sit down anbd read the threads in this forum but I was hoping for maybe a few tried and true ideas, like less air = more flavor or something.

I recently got the plume veil 1.5 and a mutation x v4. Both are great and ive successfully built on both. the mutation can be a true cloud machine, at least in my limited experience.

Also, is it doable to MTL a rda? My favorite way to vape is MTL doing a french inhale. To me that gives me the most intense flavor.

Rda's aren't exactly built for MTL hits, the airflow is much too loose in most cases. An RTA may be more what's up your alley (A Kayfun or the like for example); nice tight draw with a similar flavor to a dripper.
But, if an RDA is how you want to go (seriously, the flavor is unmatched), here's some of the things I do to bump it up a little.
1. Choose a smaller RDA. You got the idea right with the plume veil. A smaller chamber means more heat. More heat means more flavor (to an extent)
2. Decrease the airflow. Less airflow equals a hotter chamber (again to an extent).
3. Embrace the Clapton coil and all of its mutant children. These coils are all about holding juice and providing more surface area for the juice to bubble off of. I'm completely broken now and simply can't go back to a straight 24ga 6 wrap dual. It takes practice and a lot of wire to get it right, but in the long run you will love yourself for it.

Vaping is all preferential. What works for me, may not do for others. But the above mentioned items are what makes sense to me.

A quick caveat : though a small hot chamber equals more flavor, too small or too hot can lead to vaping a campfire.

Happy vaping dude, hope I helped somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
For flavor its hard to beat a Magma rda as it has the domed chamber and very tiny holes to select for a mouth to lung hit..this is a restrictive air flow atty and hard to beat for that style of vaping.

You really only need simple coils to make this atty work for you.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have the plume veil v2 and i personally consider it more of a restrictive lung hit atty...still great flavor but not really a mouth to lung hitter for me.

I wrap 8 wraps of 26g kanthal on a 3/32 drill bit to come up with .4ohm (according to my sigelei mini)

Center the air slots up to the coil and make sure the bottom of the coil is at the tops edge of the slots ...air will draw under the coil giving you great flavor.
1438056442906.jpg

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great info, and thank you Mike H for the great pic...I will remember the tip!

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sounds silly, but this technique works for me on any rda. Really fluff the cotton. Really fluffy cotton holds more juice and lets air pass thru easier. That equal good taste. Not a lot of cotton but fluffy cotton.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rda's aren't exactly built for MTL hits, the airflow is much too loose in most cases.[...]

Baloney. Many RDAs - too many in fact - sport tiny airholes that are very restrictive.

OP, if you want great flavor on the cheap, try the Smok Dripper RDA. I love that little thing when I don't use my full-size hardware. It's very easy to build, too.

Baloney. Many RDAs - too many in fact - sport tiny airholes that are very restrictive.

GP, if you want great flavor on the cheap, try the Smok Dripper RDA. I love that little thing when I don't use my full-size hardware. It's very easy to build, too.

When I first started vaping, I went through the same thing OP is going through. I did it to replicate pulling through the filter of a cigarette (which I found extremely hard to replicate with an RDA) as opposed to a French inhale. Just too easy to pull and the density of the vape itself was weak.

Just for giggles I played around with the airflow on my velocity clone last night. Replaced the chuff with a 510 adapter that somehow fit (too snug, in fact) and used the drip tip from an old Kanger Giant tank. Even with the direct and indirect airflow completely closed ( CLOSED, I SAY) an MTL was saddening. Granted this was kind of a Frankenstein attempt with a collection of items far from authentic.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

OP, if you want great flavor on the cheap, try the Smok Dripper RDA. I love that little thing when I don't use my full-size hardware. It's very easy to build, too.
+1
A typical RDA, would be the Imortalizer. Out of my head, I can't think of the IGO RDA, that had such restricted airflow, and no ability to adjust either. I remember people mentioned having drilled out the hole(s) in their RDA, due to lack of airflow.

I remember drilling out the air holes in my Brass Monkey AND my Tai Ji 28mm because of how tight it was for when I finally gave up on trying to get vaping to replicate my smoking habit. Perhaps when I think MTL, my tolerances are different than most being a smoker for so long.

VU Sponsors