Become a Patron!

What am I doing wrong

Niter

Member For 2 Years
As the title say, what the heck I am doing wrong with my recipes?

I followed recipes, tutorials, hints and tips, guide and what not from pretty much everywhere I could find it. Result? Nasty tasteless e-juice.

Tried shake-n-vape, no go. Tried steeping up to 2 months, no go. Tried FlavourArt, Capella, TFA and more (I have stocked up about 60 different flavors), no go. Tried with additives, no go. Tried with rebuildable, no go.

Only thing I haven't tried yet is to change my base ingredients, that is the last resort before I get rid of the lot of it.

Honestly I cannot understand what is that I am not doing properly. Seems like pretty basic stuff, have the ingredients, a recipe, mix it and off you go either vaping it or steeping waiting patiently to try it.

I do really think that either my PG, VG or Nic are bad, or a combination of them is making the juice taste absolutely horrible. Chemical taste, close to no flavor even with 20% concentrates.

Today I ordered a premix base 70/30 VG/PG from Nude Nicotine, if it fails I surrender to the evidence that I am never going to be able to do anything. I can understand getting a couple duds as far as the flavors go (purchased half from Nicotine River and other one from Wizard labs i believe) but all of them being duds I find it out hard to believe. When vaping store bought juice no issues at all, with any tank or mod I am using.

If anyone has any suggestion or trick I can use I will be extremity grateful.

Cheers.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pg has a chemical taste. Can try a higher vg mix.

Some flavorings have alcohol in them and need to be steeped out.

Too much flavoring can mute flavors and/or bring a chemical floral taste. 20% total flavoring in general is pretty high. Not always, but usually really high.

Have you tried simple fruity recipes? And are you making tried and true recipes or winging it? Try a variety of recipies by a variety of mixers. Flavor is very subjective.

Try an unflavored mix to test your bases.

If you are using 30/70 premixed base and adding 20% flavoring, that is adding a lot of pg. probably ending up around 40-50% pg in your final mix. And I find pg repulsive, personally.

Niter

Member For 2 Years
Pg has a chemical taste. Can try a higher vg mix.

Some flavorings have alcohol in them and need to be steeped out.

Too much flavoring can mute flavors and/or bring a chemical floral taste. 20% total flavoring in general is pretty high. Not always, but usually really high.

Have you tried simple fruity recipes? And are you making tried and true recipes or winging it? Try a variety of recipies by a variety of mixers. Flavor is very subjective.

Try an unflavored mix to test your bases.

If you are using 30/70 premixed base and adding 20% flavoring, that is adding a lot of pg. probably ending up around 40-50% pg in your final mix. And I find pg repulsive, personally.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes I tried a few of HIC recipes this past Friday and still no success. All of the other recipes I tried had multiple positive reviews either from here or other eliquid recipes. The majority of the ones I tried at a max of 10% flavoring total. I did try to wing it by boosting it out of sheer desperation :cry:

For the base I am planning to use a 4/5% tops, which if I understand it correctly will put me in the 35/65 ratio. I bought the smallest possible bottle I could find, enough to get me a handful of different test bottles and see if I can gain any success out of it. In the case I will move to a higher VG mix.

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Yeah I'd do what @BKTOAD said, mix an unflavored batch to test your bases. If they are not the problem, you may be adding too much flavoring, I personally try not to let my flavors pass 10% If the bases aren't the problem, maybe you got some bad flavor batches, some vendors don't store them properly and cause them to go bad. When everything is all good, start with simple recipes like fruits and creams. Course one of the reasons you hate the taste, is because you miss the sweetener of commercial e juice, just a possibility. Hope you get everything sorted out and begin enjoying DIY :vino:

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I never add PG to my juice because to me it just has a chemical taste. The only PG in my DIY juice is from the flavorings. I had the same problem as you until I eliminated the PG from my recipes. I add the flavorings and nicotine then fill the bottle with VG and DONE !!

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had the same problem as you when I started. I learned that sometimes you need to find the ingredient that suites you best. Flavorah has stronger flavors. Real Flavors has stronger flavors. Capella and the rest has decent flavors. But they just don't have what Im looking for most of the time. I will give you a very strong and the only strawberry I can taste. Try Strawberry Biscuit on Nicotine river. Buy allot. I got 30 ml's and am almost all done with it. Not all flavors are equal..
Sometimes you need to fish around for what you like best. That's why you should only buy 10 ml's at a time. Most people like myself get better flavor with DIY If you do it correctly.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I’m not sure where it is, except that it’s in the DIY section.....HIC did a thread about this very thing. It’s a sticky, if I’m not mistaken.....it helped me out a lot when I first started mixing.

Badfrog

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I feel your pain. I've tried over 12 diy recipes, many were highly rated and all of them were flat. I threw in the towel and bought concentrates from adore eliquid and have finally gotten some decent juices. Its not as cheap as true diy but at 7 bucks per 60ml its cheaper than 20+ bucks for regular ejuice.

I also found some other concentrate offeri,gs that I can use for an even cheaper price. Hopefully some of these concentrates will be good and I'll be able to mix up a 60ml bottle for 3 to 4 bucks altogether. I can live with that price.

Don't be afraid to buy concentrates.

zeeter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I was having the hardest time creating liquids, and truth be told, I still am. The best recipe I've found so far is a banana nut bread that rocks! I'm not one for fruity flavors; tried a grape once and it was so overpowering that I had to change out the cartridge in my tank. Other recipes taste like chemicals.

Many of the flavors are very subtle and I've found it takes a unique flavor to really bring out a taste, as was the case with the banana nut bread. These vanilla custard, chocolate clear, or whatever simply give off a mild flavor that can be easily missed. I just made a cheesecake recipe last night and I have no doubts that it will be bland. Finding that killer flavoring is the key. And steeping, of course.

Niter

Member For 2 Years
Can you post up an example or two of the recipes you've tried?
Last one I tried last Saturday was HIC Strawberry Cotton Candy, pretty straight forward, FA Strawberry and FA Joy. Well tastes awful.

All recipes I've tried taste the same, regardless of what flavors I use. So to give it another shot I am waiting (GRRR) for NudeNicotine to send me a 6gm mix and a 5 piece sample flavors and work it from there.

516_vaper_li

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I feel your pain. I've tried over 12 diy recipes, many were highly rated and all of them were flat. I threw in the towel and bought concentrates from adore eliquid and have finally gotten some decent juices. Its not as cheap as true diy but at 7 bucks per 60ml its cheaper than 20+ bucks for regular ejuice.

I also found some other concentrate offeri,gs that I can use for an even cheaper price. Hopefully some of these concentrates will be good and I'll be able to mix up a 60ml bottle for 3 to 4 bucks altogether. I can live with that price.

Don't be afraid to buy concentrates.

I think Adore is very well made. Been vaping on Blueberry Something for the past 2 months. Flavor is phenomenal! Might go with the sample pack next.

VU Sponsors