Become a Patron!

What affects battery drain the most?

larsopa

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First off let me say that I am not an electrical expert, but do have enough vaping knowledge to not blow my face off. I have always wondered but can't seem to find a definitive answer online about what is the single most thing that determines battery drain rate on a regulated device (dual 18650). Resistance? Volts? Watts? Amps? In my experience, it seems that the lower the amp draw the better my battery life mo matter what resistance I build. Also, voltage doesn't seem to matter for batt drain so long as the amp draw is relatively low. I usually run my tfrta g4 (quad deck) with 20 wraps of 30 gauge kanthal, 1.25 ohms, 9v (max on the cuboid), and 7.5 amps. If I run a dual setup on a different tank at the same wattage, lower resistance, bigger wire or claptons, lower volts, and significantly higher amperage (12-17+amps), the battery drain is obviously considerably faster. Both types of builds yeild VERY similar cloud and flavor. For me, I can usually get any of my tanks to produce similar clouds and flavor by getting creative with smaller wire as opposed to throwing some big claptons or fused claptons. The trade off for better battery life by using smaller wire is well worth it in most cases. This is all assuming that AMPS is the main factor when talking battery drain. Idk, just trying to see what everybody's thoughts are......

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The amps drawn are what drain the battery. In a regulated mod this is represented to us as the wattage/voltage and temperature, because the meters are giving us COIL output based cues rather than BATTERY output based cues. You don't feed a coil wattage, you feed it volts at an amp rate to generate those watts.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Think of a bowl of cereal....
The bowl is the battery, the cereal is the volts, the spoon Amps.. The bigger the spoon the faster you can empty the bowl. Battery amp draw limits tell use how big that spoon can be.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Mass. There more mass a coil has, the more current it uses to heat up to a temperature hot enough to vaporize your juice.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
It's amps drawn as @HondaDavidson said. The lower resistance and higher the wattage/voltage the more amps you draw. If you want better battery life, build higher resistance and use less wattage.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Directly it's amps, indirectly it's everything else mentioned above.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The resistance load and the wattage you are using directly affect the amperage draw on the battery (Ohms Law). A low resistance load fired at high watts will drain your batteries faster than a high resistance load at lower watts (but more voltage).

VU Sponsors