Become a Patron!

Weird Taste From Squonk Bottle

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am seriously indebted to @The Cromwell for suggesting the isopropyl. I was loosing my mind trying to get the nasty taste from my bottles. Thank you again kind sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
glad to help.
some worry about Isopropyl alc residue, but virtually none is left if rinsed and allowed to air dry for a day or two.
Usually a 2 day dry for me.
I have been using isopropyl cleaning methods for 3 years now. Used to clean clearomizers and such with it.
some of them had a plastic flavor when I got them. Solved with the isopropyl.

Orings seem to survive well too but must be allowed to air dry for the 2 day period.
Some may swell a bit after the cleaning but seem to shrink back down fine.
NO guarantees on Orings though as they are made from several different compounds.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
glad to help.
some worry about Isopropyl alc residue, but virtually none is left if rinsed and allowed to air dry for a day or two.
Usually a 2 day dry for me.
I have been using isopropyl cleaning methods for 3 years now. Used to clean clearomizers and such with it.
some of them had a plastic flavor when I got them. Solved with the isopropyl.

Orings seem to survive well too but must be allowed to air dry for the 2 day period.
Some may swell a bit after the cleaning but seem to shrink back down fine.
NO guarantees on Orings though as they are made from several different compounds.

Do you use same on the feeding tubes as well cromwell?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you use same on the feeding tubes as well cromwell?
On the soft tubes yes soak, etc.
On the metal tubes/510 I just squirt isopropyl thru it with a blunt tipped syringe if needed to clean out a particularly persistent flavor.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you guys tried making your own flavored juice? I don’t like commercial ejuice for the most part either... only time I vape it is when someone hires me to clone something

I did before when I vaped a lot, but some of the commercial juices like Blacknote or the Vaponaute line were so spot on for me later on that I didnt mind purchasing them, even though they are some of the most expensive juices out there. However, it would take me close to a month before I could finish one 30ml bottle, so the price was not really a factor anymore ;)

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I did before when I vaped a lot, but some of the commercial juices like Blacknote or the Vaponaute line were so spot on for me later on that I didnt mind purchasing them, even though they are some of the most expensive juices out there. However, it would take me close to a month before I could finish one 30ml bottle, so the price was not really a factor anymore ;)

0_o I vape almost 30ml a day

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to vape 20-30+ ml a day too, but after I got into using genisis tanks, that completely changed my vape habit and been vaping less and less ever since.

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Wouldn’t the soap leave a scent/taste in the silicone?

Sure does, made that mistake. Like RSZ1 said use vinegar afterwards to try and fix but you could be hosed if using strong soap. Also I always do final rinse with distilled water as tap or city water is funko!

I just got lazy and bought a ton of spares and if hot water and rinse doesn't fix, it goes in the bin.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Sure does, made that mistake. Like RSZ1 said use vinegar afterwards to try and fix but you could be hosed if using strong soap. Also I always do final rinse with distilled water as tap or city water is funko!

I just got lazy and bought a ton of spares and if hot water and rinse doesn't fix, it goes in the bin.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I been using the Isopropyl method and it’s been amazing... what bottles do you use if u don’t mind me asking? I just got some Varitube bottles and they are pretty amazing... only bad thing is they use a 2x5mm hose rather then the standard 2x4mm so I had to buy some more. Also they are about 1mm too big in diameter for my new boxer Dna250c.... they fit and they work fine but they kinda stick out the squonk window a bit... nothing crazy, just a little!
c1b18f6366b1ca9b35e865ed6aedfa35.jpg

Idk if you can tell from this pic but it does bulge out a bit lol

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I been using the Isopropyl method and it’s been amazing... what bottles do you use if u don’t mind me asking? I just got some Varitube bottles and they are pretty amazing... only bad thing is they use a 2x5mm hose rather then the standard 2x4mm so I had to buy some more. Also they are about 1mm too big in diameter for my new boxer Dna250c.... they fit and they work fine but they kinda stick out the squonk window a bit... nothing crazy, just a little!

I just use bottles from Armageddon MFG for my Ultem mod. I bought like 5 of them and they are great! Yes they are silicone but I rinse them like every other day. I prefer a little softer bottle personally.

I heard Cappy bottles are pretty good.

@JuicyLucy is the squonk queen, she would probably be able to point you in a better direction than I would.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

I'd just go for the Boxer replacement bottles - I have only one that came with a shitty mod I don't like - the Boxer bottles are a little pricey but it is a nice bottle and is meant to fit that mod

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So I did a single bottle test run using the isopropyl soak method... so far I’m impressed! Day 2 of it airing out and I can smell absolutely NOTHING from the bottle!! Going to let it dry out another day and use it Monday morning... I’ll post my results here, hopefully the turn out is as good as I think it’s going to be so I can do the rest of them while I’m waiting for varitube to ship my order... really not the speediest shipping I’ve seen from a company, placed an order a couple days ago and it hasn’t even shipped out yet :(

I have to try this tonight - I've taken apart my 510 to clean gunk off, yet this terrible aftertaste keeps coming back. Glad I searched and found this thread...I want to love my baby again :oops:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Could also be the tubing rather than the bottles?

Yea, you've got to wonder about the grade they use.

I think something like this is what I use. At any given, I try to look for Food Grade, usually ensures it's not got any nasty to seep out into juices. Suppose you can bring tubing up a boil in a pan of water to clean it.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think something like this is what I use. At any given, I try to look for Food Grade, usually ensures it's not got any nasty to seep out into juices. Suppose you can bring tubing up a boil in a pan of water to clean it.

That's what I bought as well when I got my Inboxes, about 3 feet of it. Just another thing that'll end up sitting in a drawer for years.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
To clean my bottles out I boil them for 10 mnutes. Dry them out with a paper towel. Then pack it full of baking soda for a few days. Dump the soda and boil again, then set them in a sunny window to dry. If I am doing a quick clean I just boil and soak in vodka for a few hours and then dry. I will boil my tubes, but they get changed when they get too discolored.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I constantly had this problem. The alcohol wash helped, but the bad taste/muted flavor always returned. Tried boiling, alcohol, boiling alcohol lol it always returned. I do believe the tube also has a lot to do with it. The only type that didn’t get the taste for me were mods with a plastic bottle and metal tube like the squeeze.

I just gave up squonking and use RTA’s, problem solved. If the small all in one box with good capacity is desired, there are billet boxes and side-by-sides.

mixsomniac

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
glad I found about this I won't buy a DNA squonk tomorrow then, it was going to come with silicone and too many people are complaining about this issue and the fact it keeps coming back for you is enough for me. sqonkless dna it is

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So I ran into this problem with a bottle provided for the Basium. I vaped it a few times and was like WTF? It's definitely plastic-ey taste. My guess was the tubing is messing up the flavor..

I have a Squeeze 2 , and two Feedlinks. These squonks have metal rods. Feedlink rod is attached to the cap, Squeeze 2 is fixed to the mod. Both had clean flavor from the get go.

I'll try some of the methods in this thread to see if I can fix the problem. The Basium comes with two bottles/sleds. I was going to treat just the tubing on the second one to see. I just rinced my first one in scolding hot water for a bit. That obviously didn't work.

This problem was surprising and unexpected. I did a google search and this thread was at the top.

Edit- this is an old post. I think it was the Basium mod itself messin up the flavor. I took it apart and the electronics board reeked of that platic flavor I was tasting. I aired it out for a few weeks and it went away for the most part. I think the bottles just being in the same package as the mod contaminated them. It didn't make sense but that same shitty flavor I was tasting was coming from inside of the mod.

Last edited:
Hi, I have a problem with all the silicone squonk bottles. the liquid has a plastic taste. this happens with all the silicone bottles, while it does not happen with hard plastic bottles. I tried isopropylic alcohol, but nothing, after I filled the bottle with the liquid the taste of horrible is, plastic or rubber. I no longer know how to remove this strange taste. tips? thank you from slovenia (google translate)

the Beauty of DIY is that one can make their juice for them with as much or as little flavoring and sweeteners as they like.
Me? I virtually never go over 7% total flavoring. And use NO artificial sweeteners, on Liquid Stevia sparingly.
So may recipes approach 20% total flavoring...

hello,
I use silicon bottle squonks, but after a while my eliquid tastes like plastic or silicone
even my liquids taste like plastic or silicone. have you solved with alcohol? you don't feel the plastic taste anymore ?? thx

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hello,
I use silicon bottle squonks, but after a while my eliquid tastes like plastic or silicone
even my liquids taste like plastic or silicone. have you solved with alcohol? you don't feel the plastic taste anymore ?? thx
Yes I have cleaned plastic squonk bottles with 90% isopropyl alcohol to remove strong odors/tastes.
Have NOT used it on silicone though as I do not have any silicone squonk bottles.

I will put alcohol in the bottle and let sit for an hour or so then empty, sling out any excess alcohol, then allow to air dry for at least 24 hours to get any alcohol out of the plastic.

Yes I have cleaned plastic squonk bottles with 90% isopropyl alcohol to remove strong odors/tastes.
Have NOT used it on silicone though as I do not have any silicone squonk bottles.

ok, but my problem is that the liquid has the taste of plastic or rubber, maybe it causes a chemical reaction inside the silicone bottle.?!?! if I use a new bottle, after about an hour the taste is plastic. this happens only with silicone bottles, those of dotmod, wismec, pulse, recurve box. it doesn't happen with the hard plastic bottles those of the pico sqeeze. I don't need to remove the smell of the old liquid, but only to remove the taste of rubber or plastic. Thanks

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I also use it on new pico squeeze bottles to remove the plastic taste which they have after sitting a year or so.
Silicone ones ? Can't be of any help there since I have never used one.
However the iso does seem to get taste out of silicone orings and such...

And yes Isopropyl alchol will kill you if you drink it and why I say let dry for at least 24 hours so it all evaporates.
Maybe longer if used on silicone since they are a bit more porous than HDPE and such.

and yes I suspect that some juices, high citrus, etc will cause plastic/silicone to leech more than other juices. The juices considered tank crackers for plastic tanks.

Last edited:

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Just a question .....if a person was allergic to silicon to touch ...would using squonker bottle and tubes made from them be an issue?

I mean just vaping here not refilling the bottle?

I’m not ...but don’t think I’ve ever seen this answered and not sure myself

VU Sponsors