Become a Patron!

Weird cotton taste?

creeperfan5236

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey guys, I recently had to change my cotton. It was overused. So I was out of organic Japanese cotton which I normally use. Either that, or European. Anyways, I seen some Walmart brand cotton balls that said 100% cotton. I figured "What the hell?" I put it in my dipper, put lots of juice so it can soak, and it tasted funny. I tasted the juice, it just had a weird after taste. Is this normal with every kind of cotton? I haven't changed my cotton in so long I don't remember.

victoryred

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I personally wouldn't use anything but organic cotton.. You never know what the walmart brand might have in it or if they bleach or use chemicals to process it. If you have a whole foods in your area i'd suggest picking up some organic, they sell a brand called maxim hygiene, i used to use that but recently switched to japanese organic.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Shiseido Japanese cotton has no nasty cotton taste when you first wick or there after. 165 pads/sheets is 8 or 9 bucks.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Most store bought cotton is bleached with hydrogen peroxide and that's what it tastes like. Even the CVS "organic" cotton has hydrogen peroxide in it, figure that one out. The key is, whatever cotton you get, make sure it's unbleached.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've actually never used organic cotton, just the regular stuff you got in stores. I always found it tasted a bit like what I imagine cotton tastes like. I tried first aid gauze a few times to see what it was like and is tasted/smelled like hydrogen peroxide. Either way, I always found that off flavors went away after a dozen or so hits.

These days I use Graham Cellucotton, which is rayon. No funky flavors and it wicks fast.

90quattrocoupe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use shizen cotton sheets, no start taste, clean from the get go and easy to use. Same stuff Villain Vapor sells, bundled with there wire.

dork

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
+1 for KOGA. I have used many different cottons, and Koga outperforms them all, hands down. I could make a pillow out of the stuff I have tried and not finished because I prefer Koga. Clean, almost no break-in, accurate flavor, and lasts a long time.

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey guys, I recently had to change my cotton. It was overused. So I was out of organic Japanese cotton which I normally use. Either that, or European. Anyways, I seen some Walmart brand cotton balls that said 100% cotton. I figured "What the hell?" I put it in my dipper, put lots of juice so it can soak, and it tasted funny. I tasted the juice, it just had a weird after taste. Is this normal with every kind of cotton? I haven't changed my cotton in so long I don't remember.
Quit using weird cotton, man...

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've tried Koga, but the flavor didn't last long enough for me. From the start, it was super clean tasting, nothing but full on flavor. It just didn't last very long, IME. I pif'd it to a pal.

I've used cotton balls, cotton yarn and silica. Now, I'm using the rayon/cellucotton and loving it. No boiling, full flavor, lasts quite a bit in comparison.

creeperfan5236

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If there is dye in it, IMO boiling it would not remove all of it. At least, I wouldn't count on it enough to risk vaping it.
Yeah, if it was my last choice I MAY do it. On a good note, I got some European cotton from my friend and it's great!

vape.queen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Medical/pharmaceutical cotton all the way! Just got some Cotton Bacon...love it!

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Where do you guys buy your Organic Cotton from (Koga or whatever else is your favorite). I have some BM bought organic cotton and don't really care for it. It's wrapped up like a cotton ball and is hard to work with. Also @Huckleberried, where do you get your rayon/cellucotton?

I'm using the OC to rewick my Subtank coils.

Also, while we are on the topic, is there any solution that I can use to clean the coils before I rewick them? I tried soaking them in vodka overnight, rinsing and then dry burning them, and rinsing them once more. I thought about rebuilding them, but would have to order the wire and tools. Sorry for going off topic.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I actually got my Rayon from one of the PIF boxes that I participated in. It's sold at Sally's or whatever beauty supply chains you might have around. There are 2 kinds, apparently, so you have to find the right one exactly. One of them is BAD news. Paging @AmandaD, what's the number on the Rayon box, please?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@AmandaD, @Huckleberried

Holy crap!! I just went to Sally and picked up a BOX of the Rayon Cellucotton that you two suggested. I was expecting a small box that I could hold in my hand, not a GINORMOUS BOX!!! I picked up the large box since it was only $4 more.

I don't think that I'll EVER run out of this stuff. Thanks for the letting me know about this product. I'll report back with results.

Have a nice weekend,

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@AmandaD, @Huckleberried

Holy crap!! I just went to Sally and picked up a BOX of the Rayon Cellucotton that you two suggested. I was expecting a small box that I could hold in my hand, not a GINORMOUS BOX!!! I picked up the large box since it was only $4 more.

I don't think that I'll EVER run out of this stuff. Thanks for the letting me know about this product. I'll report back with results.

Have a nice weekend,

LOL forgot to warn you about that! Yup, lifetime supply there:D

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yikes. Yeah, I have a 5 foot sample that I got from PIF, so I kind of forgot about that, myself. I've had this sample for quite a while, too.

vape.queen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Where do you guys buy your Organic Cotton from (Koga or whatever else is your favorite). I have some BM bought organic cotton and don't really care for it. It's wrapped up like a cotton ball and is hard to work with. Also @Huckleberried, where do you get your rayon/cellucotton?

I'm using the OC to rewick my Subtank coils.

Also, while we are on the topic, is there any solution that I can use to clean the coils before I rewick them? I tried soaking them in vodka overnight, rinsing and then dry burning them, and rinsing them once more. I thought about rebuilding them, but would have to order the wire and tools. Sorry for going off topic.
I just remove the used wick and press the button to burn all the crap off. Then I use a tiny brush...the kind they give you to clean the pen vapes used for..uhhh...herbs (lol ;) ) and it brushes off anything that didn't burn off. If i find a link to the little brush i will post it here for ya. Hope that helps!

VU Sponsors