Weak Mech Mod

Discussion in 'Ask An Expert' started by WrightRide125, Sep 13, 2018.

1. WrightRide125

WrightRide125 New Member

Blog Posts:
    So I just got this used Czar mfg. Userper 18650 tube mech mod off of ebay. I'm pretty disappointed with its performance however. I've got a 0.41 ohm a1 twisted kanthal build on my drop solo rda right now, and running a Samsung 25r. But whenever I hit the mod, its just super weak. I do notice that the button has a bit of side to side play in it, and if i just push up on a corner it hits better. The mod is very clean, doesn't appear to be warped in any spots, good threads, button looks solid and doesn't stick. So i'm not sure if it's a connection issue or just me expecting way more than I should have. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas as to whats going on I would really appreciate it. Thanks much, Hunter.

5150sick likes this.
  2. 5150sick

5150sick Under Ground Hustler Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee Mod Team Leader

Blog Posts:
    I would drop the ohms of the build to 0.25 ohms.
    That is plenty safe for a single 18650 mech.

It will add around 1/3 more power (wattage) to the coils.

kross8 likes this.
  3. 5150sick

5150sick Under Ground Hustler Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee Mod Team Leader

Blog Posts:
    You are drawing around 10 amps and putting out only 35 watts with the 0.41 ohm build.

You could do either of these:

Build at 0.25 ohms:
    You will be drawing around 15 amps and be putting out close to 60 watts at 0.25 ohms.

Build at 0.2 ohms:
    You will be drawing around 19 amps and be putting out close to 75 watts at 0.2 ohms.

The samsung 25r is a solid 22 amp cell so you are in the clear safety wise with both options.

CactusFanaticus likes this.
  4. WrightRide125

WrightRide125 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Okay, so I should just lower the resistance of the build and that pushes more amps and watts. Thanks for the info man! I'll throw a dual coil in there and try to get around 0.2-0.25 and see how she rips.

5. Kitsune

Kitsune New Member

Blog Posts:
    0.25 might not be low enough for a dual coil build and I wouldn't go lower than 0.2 with a 25R.

If I were you I'd go for a single coil build at around 0.21-0.23 ohms.

Something along the lines of a tri-core fused clapton 26ga.

6. jwill

jwill The Great King of Nothing VU Donator Gold Contributor VU Challenge Team Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    Aside from the already mentioned drop in ohms. You might also consider a simpler wire coil with NI80. It will dramatically reduce the ramp time and improve the hit.

7. WrightRide125

WrightRide125 New Member

Blog Posts:
    haha, I'll give it a shot. Thanks man!

8. WrightRide125

WrightRide125 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Really? I'm not a complete noob but I thought you couldn't build ni80 on a mech mod. If you can then I'll definitely have to try, that sounds like a winner!

9. jwill

jwill The Great King of Nothing VU Donator Gold Contributor VU Challenge Team Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    Sure can. Its my preference. You cant use NI80 for TC mode, works awesome on a mech.

10. 5150sick

Blog Posts:
    I have to be really careful dry burning with NI80 because coil legs pop so easy compared to other wires.
    It's worth it though.:)

jwill likes this.
  11. jwill

Blog Posts:
    22g is about perfect (IMO) and you really have to be trying to pop coils at that gauge or running super high and hot. 24+ is super easy to do it on.

12. Kitsune

Kitsune New Member

Blog Posts:
    Forgot to mention that I mean Ni80 tri-cores :D

Ni80 is my alltime-favorite, except for TC or if I need to reach a specific resistance on a specific build, I use nothing else.

A word of warning when it comes to materials as you seem to be fairly new with mech mods.
    Never use stainless steel (SS316L and the like) or Ni200 on a mech.

Those are TC compatible, which means they will change their resistance when heating up, which will of course mess with your vape. :)