Become a Patron!

wattage to temp conversion?

Jason267

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi, I have a Smok Alien 220w w/ baby beast tank...I usually use the .15ohm or .4ohm coils.
I'm trying to figure out what wattage I should vape at to reach approx. 250F temperature.

I have been adding liquid Terpenes (an extract from various plant sources) and they usually have a boiling point varying from 200F to 300F, so I need to be around that range.

From what I heard, you need a special coil wire type to use Temp Mode with the Alien, and I only have the Baby Beast tank and use the pre-made Smok coils. So wattage mode it is, correct?

Is there any way to figure out or even just an approximate way to figure out what amount of wattage I would need to vape at to reach around 250F???

Thank you very much!

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally I'd go by voltage, around 3.8v so with a 0.15 coil that works out to around 95w.

Check out Steam-engine.org to do the math

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

Jason267

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Personally I'd go by voltage, around 3.8v so with a 0.15 coil that works out to around 95w.

Check out Steam-engine.org to do the math

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
Thanks!
I'm fairly new to vaping in general...so with my Alien, I should be looking at the voltage AFTER I take a puff? And I can adjust the wattage so it wil be at 3.8v? Thanks again!

Jason267

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Another thing is, if I vape at 95w, the coils will be burnt up! I usually don't go much higher than 45w with regular 70/30 ejuice...But 95w using the .15ohm coil will give me a 250F vape?

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
You'll need to get a tank that supports or has available coil heads that use either Nickel Ni200, Titanium T1, or Stainless Steel SS316L wire to go into TC mode on most mods. Trying to guess the temp on coil based on the watts set is a crap shoot unless you have a degree in electrical engineering. Use that tank with a TC coil specifically for that extract only, and use the tank that came with the Alien220w for others then.

Jason267

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You'll need to get a tank that supports or has available coil heads that use either Nickel Ni200, Titanium T1, or Stainless Steel SS316L wire to go into TC mode on most mods. Trying to guess the temp on coil based on the watts set is a crap shoot unless you have a degree in electrical engineering. Use that tank with a TC coil specifically for that extract only, and use the tank that came with the Alien220w for others then.
Yeah ill have to do that. Can you buy a SS or Ti coil for the baby beast tank or would I need to get a different tank completely? Thanks!

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Yeah ill have to do that. Can you buy a SS or Ti coil for the baby beast tank or would I need to get a different tank completely? Thanks!

I don't think Smok makes any TC style coils, to go TC with the BB Tank you'd have to use the rebuildable head and get yourself some Ni, Ti, or SS wire to do it. Rebuilding isn't that hard, its the finer details of learning the math behind it, Ohm's Law, Watts Law, and such to determine your amps you are drawing from the batteries. Other than that to go TC you need another tank, like the Kanger Subtank/TopTank, think the UWell crown has TC coils, Joyetech Ego One Mega Tank, etc.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Terps in a subohm tanks coil will gum up in no time at all. Like less than a tank full and will probably taste burnt.

I would get a cheap single coil atomizer from Fasttech (or take your pick of other china sites) for under $10, a 2.5mm coil tool for $2 and some 26 gauge 316L SS wire. Use that for your terps, and your subohm tank for normal juice.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
First.. every coil is different. Maybe not by much, but different just the same. There is no way to tell if 2 coils in a package came from exactly the same batch of metal or same spool of wire. This said..
You best way to calculate temperature isn't with math, but by taste. Always start at low power and work your way up until you hit the sweet spot you desire.
Oh there is a calculation where volts squared / resistance = watts but wire gauge and density (type of metal used) vary, so your watts per degree also changes. Like I said, best calculation is what you like, every time you pick up your vape (at least daily)

There is no accurate direct correlation between watts and coil temperature.
Too many variables.
How hard you suck being one of them.

Someone needs to invent a suckometer?

The smok XCUBE II Tl360 V1080 has a seconds counter for how long you suck on it for
My personal best is 5.3 seconds and to get that I gently suck it ;)

VU Sponsors