Become a Patron!

Watching the windows

Soupy1957

Member For 1 Year
I’ve heard a lot of discussion about the condition of the coils.

My question is, the slots on the size of the coils that show the cotton inside. Can they be used as a good judge of the condition of the coil? In other words can I just watch those, to see when they go brown, and then change the coil?

I realize of course that there is discussion about the bitter taste of the liquid, as an indicator, but beyond that I’m wondering if those side slots are a good source for information about the condition of the coils?

Lotus Insane

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well sometimes they can be, but after a while you will notice the taste difference. If you have a clear-ish liquid, and you start to see a darker tint emanating from your juice flow slots, the cotton is more or less getting toasty. Once you start to identify the taste difference around that time, you won't need to look to tell. Hope this helps answer your question.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Performance is generally (IMO) the best indicator. Make a mental note of how well it works new and when you perceive a significant drop in performance, address it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Lotus Insane

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Question @Soupy1957 , are we talking about pre-built coils you buy for a tank, or are we talking about hand built coils?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is no correct time to change a wick. Some do it when wicks darken... some like me when there is so much gunk on the coil it looks like a lump of COAL with a wick that looks like it was drug through DIRTY wheel grease.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
That's easier. When the coil starts to degrade in performance or starts tasting like burnt hair. Replace.

Soupy1957

Member For 1 Year
Yes thanks. That’s the advice I’ve gotten before. What I’m asking about however, is the condition of those little side slits. I changed out my coil this morning, and I noticed that the sides were still white, but the tips of the coils were dark. So that tells me that I cannot necessarily use the side slit color as a gauge, along with performance and taste.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Yes thanks. That’s the advice I’ve gotten before. What I’m asking about however, is the condition of those little side slits. I changed out my coil this morning, and I noticed that the sides were still white, but the tips of the coils were dark. So that tells me that I cannot necessarily use the side slit color as a gauge, along with performance and taste.

There is no hard and fast way to say this is when it needs to happen. Its like any other part of vaping, purely subjective. When I was still on the nautilus tanks I would sometimes wait to change the coil until I started sucking juice into my mouth or it tasted like charcoal. A lot of it depended on how many coils I had left and when I might have more.

If you use the performance as a baseline, you will just know when to replace it. Trying to use visual indicators may cheat you out of life of some of those coils. Certain juices may darken quicker, higher heat may darken quicker but the coil may very well be usable for sometime longer.

Soupy1957

Member For 1 Year
I’ve seen a few videos about people who build their own coils or clean their store-bought coil’s. If I thought that I could do a decent job cleaning the coils I wouldn’t mind submersing them in vinegar or something or whatever the processes is, but I haven’t seen a really great way to clean factory made coil’s yet; or if it’s even worth doing.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Probably want to steer clear of vinegar. It will make your coils taste horrible. If you cannot clean them with water, or something tasteless. Then you should just replace them. If you have one on its death bed experiment with it. See what happens.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
It absolutely degrades. These are disposable items. They are designed to be used and discarded. Some people have had luck by rinsing and drying thoroughly.

Soupy1957

Member For 1 Year
So the translation would be that I may not get more than two cycles out of the filters or rather the coils as a result of rinsing them my cell. Is that a fair statement?

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
So the translation would be that I may not get more than two cycles out of the filters or rather the coils as a result of rinsing them my cell. Is that a fair statement?

You have a very reasonable and realistic understanding sir.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That’s it?? Wow!! Does the cotton (if that’s what it is) degrade? The coils burn out like a lightbulb filement?
In 99% of cases the cotton or wick gets degraded or burnt long before a coil....

That's the advantage of building your own. . While ypu might have to change a wick as often as you now replace a coil head.... the coil itself CAN last months even years.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors