wall charger?

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
hiya, guys.
my purse vape has an internal battery.
my lap top doesn't like charging it.
the comp acts funny after charging.

i see walmart has internal battery chargers you plug into a wall socket, for $8.
is that ok?
i don't wanna wreck the mod.
my nitecore doesn't have a plug in for that.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
my Innokin cool fire 4 has an internal batt. I use a "wall wort" all the time. I keep it at work. I charge on my desktop's usb here at home.
mine is actually from an old phone.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm still using a little wallwart came with my Nokia over a decade ago, as well as another little wallwart that came with my original cigalikes around ..2010? 12? Yes, they work fine for cellphones and my yihi or dna mods.

Obviously, YMMV due to the usual chinee-crap-boards.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
my lap top doesn't like charging it.
the comp acts funny after charging.

What do you men it acts funny? I charge using PC's all the time and only time I ever experienced something odd was when I switched the eNook charger to 2A and the PC showed a message for too much load on the USB ports.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can actually damage your computer by charging stuff off of it if they want too much current.

Any wall Wart type of USB charger with at least 1 amp should work, but a 2 amp one will not hurt anything.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
USB ports on PC are made to power devices and built in protections prevent damage. Like when you install a USB 2.0 device in a USB 1.0 port you will see a message the device with perform faster if you use a different port. Point of FACT the message I received when I tried the 2A charging on a USB 2.0 Port.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep and I use a 4 yr old Trustfire 2 cell charger daily for my 18650 cells.

Most would go OMG! over that.

Never hurts to have more current from the wall wart than the mod requires. will not hurt anything.

In the same 4 years I have had maybe 6 wall wart chargers go bad.
Some over 4 yrs old are still working fine.

imho the thing that gives longest life to wall warts and other chargers and electronics is good surge suppression.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In over 10 years of powering devices using USB Ports I never had to replace a PC so far. Even when a 50 Port USB Micro SD Card reader flamed out the PC was fine. 6 wall warts went bad but none of my 8 workstations or servers huh? I have a Flatbed Canon Scanner that runs off USB power ONLY. Maybe some Bargain Basement POS PC might fry the USB but not a decent Dell or HP and I have one I added an 8 port internal USB card~!

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
that was an HP lap top that didn't like charging.
no permanent damage tho.
it was ok after i rebooted.

i gotta say, i don't like internal battery mods much.
i have only this one, but it fits exactly in this little pouch in my purse,
very convenient.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In the USB 1.0 and 2.0 specs, a standard downstream port is capable of delivering up to 500mA (0.5A); with USB 3.0, it moves up to 900mA (0.9A). The charging downstream and dedicated charging ports provide up to 1,500mA (1.5A).

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i gotta say, i don't like internal battery mods much.

I have a few Internal Battery MOD's and all have Pass Thru Charging which is great for when out on a call or whatever. Never have a depleted MOD's batteries and I can vape using a cigarette lighter cable. I have a 4 Port USB adapter for my auxiliary power ports. That was from when I was using Cig-A-Likes and needed to charge more than one~!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
that means, what?
It is the USB current capacity specs for computers.
Most modern mods want around 1 amp charging current. USB 1.0 and USB 2.0 specs will provide only 1/2 of that.
And USB 3.0 only provides .9 amp.
And that current maximum may be shared across all the USB ports on a computer so if you have any other USB devices plugged into the PC...

Why risk damaging your PC by charging a mod with it? The circuitry that MAY be damaged is on the mother board and will be not a cheap fix.
Some PC's do have dedicated charging ports now but that is NOT a regular USB port.

A $1,000 computer or a $10 max Wall wart...

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
that means, what?

That means he is posting specs for USB Ports trying to back up his BS about not using a PC's USB Ports for power. I have been arguing this point since I started vaping because I work in IT and install devices on a daily basis that get power from USB Ports.

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
you know, when mooch said not to charge in the device, he said it was because the ports are poor n break down
from normal use.
is this different in internal battery mods?

well, the thing is, i can get a charger for $8.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Most modern mods want around 1 amp. USB 1.0 and USB 2.0 specs will provide only 1/2 of that.

More BS because most MOD's can handle up to 2A doesn't mean it required. I have an eNook Charger plugged in which can charge at 2A but not using the PC it is plugged into.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
you know, when mooch said not to charge in the device, he said it was because the ports are poor n break down
from normal use.

I have been using USB Ports to charge MOD's and never had one break from NORMAL USE. I did break the USB ports on a computer case once because I forgot I had stuff plugged in but that is ABUSE not use.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
from normal use.

There is no other way to charge an internal battery mod except thru the USB on the mod.
He is talking about removable external battery mods.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I use my cell phone charger in a pinch.

I use my Cell Phone charger in my vehicle because it is there and my NEW Phone is USB C so I have separate charger for that~! Oh come to think of it my Back Up Camera is powered by a Mini USB Port and also the Magellan GPS plus the Dual 1080P HD Dash camera.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
from normal use.

with internal battery mods you really have no choice.
With any mod that uses removable batteries I strongly recommend using an external charger.
Use the internal charger when you have no choice like out and about or something.
The little micro USB connectors are pretty fragile so if dropped with a cable plugged in....

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I have been using USB Ports to charge MOD's and never had one break from NORMAL USE. I did break the USB ports on a computer case once because I forgot I had stuff plugged in but that is ABUSE not use.

I have been charging my Nebox by using a cell phone charger for almost 4 years- the removable battery is a PITA to take out and put back in. No problems with my Nebox by using the mod's charge port.
The only mod I do this with.Otherwise I charge the batteries on my Luc4 charger.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I use my Cell Phone charger in my vehicle because it is there and mt NEW Phone is USB C so I have separate charger for that~! Oh come to think of it my Back Up Camera is powered by a Mini USB Port and also the Magellan GPS plus the Dual 1080P HD Dash camera.

Yes I use my cars cell phone charger too.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
that was an HP lap top that didn't like charging.
no permanent damage tho.
it was ok after i rebooted.
The Keyboard, mouse touchpad, etc are often routed thru the USB circuitry and if you pull the voltage down on the USB buss then strange things can happen. And maybe lasting bad things. Maybe. For me it is why take the risk?

And Mooch agrees with me.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The Keyboard, mouse touchpad, etc are often routed thru the USB circuitry and if you pull the voltage down on the USB buss then strange things can happen. And maybe lasting bad things. Maybe. For me it is why take the risk?

Maybe he should argue with his Bank because their receipt printers are powered by USB and also the Bank Card readers. Oh yeag complain at the Supermarket while your at it because all of those printers run on USB. Fucking people stuck in the world of DOS. New machines with today's technology are made to provide power to devices either it be charging or functionality.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@susieqz you might want to check on the state of your laptops battery because if charging causes strange shit, might be your battery has come to end of life and the power supply can't deliver enough power to feed the load. Just a thought now. Could also be the power supply is ready to kiss the ghost. Just a thought............

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
how does one check a lap top battery?
Get a new one if over 3 years or so old is the safest way.
The pinouts are not standard.
If the laptop works on the charger and not on the battery then get a new battery.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Get a new one if over 3 years or so old is the safest way.
The pinouts are not standard.
If the laptop works on the charger and not on the battery then get a new battery.

Right away he wants to spend your money with him admitting he is the cheapest Mother Fucker you ever want to meat~! Test it ! 3 years is nothing for a battery under normal usage.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Test the battery and then the Power Pack is the correct informed way by an actual Technician. Don't just throw parts at it expecting a fix~!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Laptoip batteries are generally justr a bunch of 18650 LI cells in there with protection and such.
LI cells have a 3 year working life for the most part if used much. Maybe 4 or 5 YRS but the capacity / run time per charge will drop a lot.
3-4 years is typical before they die.
Many even have a charge/discharge cycle counter built into the battery pack and will shut down after a certain number of charge/discharge cycles.

I have actually rebuilt a couple of laptop power packs, but do not recommend it and it usually costs just as much as buying a new battery pack on Amazon.

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
my comp rums on 18650s?
that's totally cool.
now i know where to go if i run out of batteries for my mods.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Laptoip batteries are generally justr a bunch of 18650 LI cells in there with protection and such.
LI cells have a 3 year working life for the most part if used much. Maybe 4 or 5 YRS but the capacity / run time per charge will drop a lot.
3-4 years is typical before they die.
Many even have a charge/discharge cycle counter built into the battery pack and will shut down after a certain number of charge/discharge cycles.

Total opinion and not based on Real World Facts since I have a Laptop battery in service right now for over 6-7 years and counting. If I need to I can check when I got it on Amazon.

VU Sponsors