Wake Mod Co. RTA

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
So my Wake Mod Co. RTA finally came in. I haven't built on it yet, but it's quite similar to the Dotmod RTA, only better. Here are a couple of pics. I have to take care of a few things, but I'll put a build in it later and see how she vapes and let you know the major differences between it and the Dotmod RTA.

2017-09-14 12.49.42.jpg
2017-09-14 12.47.34.jpg

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got a chance to try both the RTA and Subohm tank at the ECC and came away impressed. Love the fit and finish too.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
It's mainly a dual coil rta right?

Edit: took a better look at the deck, I think it's mainly a "dual coil"

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Yeah, dual coil postless deck. I liked it better than my dotmod petri with the limited time I used it. Looks real sharp too, I want the red but might need the blue too, all of them looked great though.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, dual coil postless deck. I liked it better than my dotmod petri with the limited time I used it. Looks real sharp too, I want the red but might need the blue too, all of them looked great though.

Thanks!

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon

Yeah, dual coil postless deck.
Actually, this can easily be used as a single coil deck. There's a "wick ring" that keeps your wick in place - no need for dual coils to keep it wicked correctly. It slips right over the build deck, and keeps your wicks right where they're supposed to be.

98QidB0.jpg

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Actually, this can easily be used as a single coil deck. There's a "wick ring" that keeps your wick in place - no need for dual coils to keep it wicked correctly. It slips right over the build deck, and keeps your wicks right where they're supposed to be.

98QidB0.jpg
Ooo that changes everything, but what about the airflow? The single coil won't align properly? Or would it?

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
It would be great if you could, I think I see how it could work, but does the coil have to be pretty big?
Doesn't have to be, but I'll probably go with 3.5mm just because it'll fit. You definitely don't want to go too big, though, or else you run the risk of shorting it out against the cap.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Okay, gonna get a little pic heavy in this post.

First off, I had to sacrifice these 2 perfectly new aliens for the single coil install. They didn't seem to mind...

CIWHjSY.jpg

Anyway, here's a pic of the deck. You can see the juice channels at the 2 and 8 o'clock positions:

ZOXih3f.jpg

Here's the wick ring (or whatever it's called). It has dimples, so you HAVE to slide it over the airflow holes. This is what keeps the wicks in place.

U81FLV3.jpg

I don't know what "ROHS" is, but it's on the wick ring

7kViDIt.jpg

Here's the single coil - 3.5mm inside diameter

sAWrTyc.jpg

Installed

qZOAaKb.jpg

Centered over the juice channels:

TkUZx7p.jpg

This pic is just to show the ring placement before I wicked the coil

ziJXs9U.jpg

Wicked coil

Z7wqm4N.jpg

Juiced and ready to go

qP9X5hH.jpg

I hope these pics helped a bit.

Last edited:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Damn, not a bad price either Chef...may pick one up from you this weekend. Need to check my coil stash first, believe I'm running low on da-chef alien coils.....:pizza:....:cloud::pizza::cloud::pizza:

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
By the way, how is the FLAVOR,

Yeah and does that single get muted or airy with that airflow arrangement? While workable looks sub-optimal for a single coil.

How does it vape in single coil?

The flavor is every bit as good as it was with the dual aliens I previously had in there - it just takes less wattage to run a single coil. Using a single coil also opens up additional options for using this RTA on a mech mod. I'm using it on the SΩI Shorty right now, but you can fit a pretty decent single coil series build in here, too.

2017-09-15 09.23.25.jpg

thanks for the beautiful pics @CrazyChef v2.0

Btw how was the Pizza!

Anytime, and the pizza was quite delicious - all the meats, plus mushrooms and extra cheese. :D

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The flavor is every bit as good as it was with the dual aliens I previously had in there - it just takes less wattage to run a single coil. Using a single coil also opens up additional options for using this RTA on a mech mod. I'm using it on the SΩI Shorty right now, but you can fit a pretty decent single coil series build in here, too.

View attachment 91689

Anytime, and the pizza was quite delicious - all the meats, plus mushrooms and extra cheese. :D
Looks nice on the Shorty! How is the airflow/draw is it airy or restricted lung hit?

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
It's not bad, but it won't get too airy, though. Wide open, it's about the same as the Goon with 2 holes open.

I guess you could close it down to a single hole for a MTL type draw, but you really need the right kind of coil to do that. Big coils and MTL vaping really don't go together very well.

2017-09-15 09.36.59.jpg

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
On a side note, I believe I'm starting to lean towards single coil builds in general. They usually have just as much flavor as a dual coil, and it opens up a whole new range of coils that can be used on various devices. The Govad RDA, for one, is an exceptional single coil only atty that gives a very flavorful vape.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
On a side note, I believe I'm starting to lean towards single coil builds in general. They usually have just as much flavor as a dual coil, and it opens up a whole new range of coils that can be used on various devices. The Govad RDA, for one, is an exceptional single coil only atty that gives a very flavorful vape.
My thoughts as well ;)

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Still wondering how this compares to the original Dotmod RTA - which I love to death and beyond

When i come to screw my tank back in place.. The juice flow hole seems to be covered half way and it seems the tank isn't screwing all way down... Any advice on this matter

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Damn I missed this thread! Tank looks great how is it for leaking? After Sept it went dark, is this a bad sign- so any updates now?

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I missed it too. I love the size of the build deck and that it's bottom air flow. Y'all still enjoying it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MichaelPhillips

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When i come to screw my tank back in place.. The juice flow hole seems to be covered half way and it seems the tank isn't screwing all way down... Any advice on this matter
My juice flow holes are same way...For screwing down. Just make sure that wall around the coils is all the way in place.

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Judging by the deck, this RTA looks like it would be a top notch performer. But I would never use it; all that gold is just waaay too much for me.

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm using a single fused at .75 at 45 watts and it is great. I also have the tank and pre made coil but I've yet to use it. Tank does not leak but you need to close the afc when filling and burp. Great flavour. Getting the wick ring on can be a bit frustrating at times but meh - well worth the effort.

MichaelPhillips

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Still wondering how this compares to the original Dotmod RTA - which I love to death and beyond
Never had a dotmod. But i do have this one. Flavor is great. Just like vape shops tell me. What you think is good someone else might not think it is. So buy it and try it for yourself..

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Never had a dotmod. But i do have this one. Flavor is great. Just like vape shops tell me. What you think is good someone else might not think it is. So buy it and try it for yourself..

While its true that tastes and experiences vary a great deal, the old collection does not need anything that does not go a notch up

Also, after being on VU awhile, you learn to trust the opinions and experiences of some members

Paul's opinion is highly regarded, but he is not offering a comparison between the Wake and Petri RTA

MichaelPhillips

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
While its true that tastes and experiences vary a great deal, the old collection does not need anything that does not go a notch up

Also, after being on VU awhile, you learn to trust the opinions and experiences of some members

Paul's opinion is highly regarded, but he is not offering a comparison between the Wake and Petri RTA
The one thing nice about the wake RTA is you can take the deck out and throw in .5 ohm coil heads as well. The dotmod you can't do you that.. I waiting on my coil heads to come. To give them a try.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The one thing nice about the wake RTA is you can take the deck out and throw in .5 ohm coil heads as well. The dotmod you can't do you that.. I waiting on my coil heads to come. To give them a try.

????

You can use whatever coils you want that will fit in the Petri

VU Sponsors