Become a Patron!

vv kensei no matter what no flavor/muted

hi everyone i got a vandy vape kensei rta and ive tried for days and almost a whole pack of cotton bacon and many different coils from the demon killer set ive tried more cotton less cotton ive tried the Scottish roll ive tried the bow ive watched countless vid on youtube i get great clouds but hardly any/no flavor and some times popping on ramp any ideals?

p.s. its not vapers tongue cause my baby tank still has good flavor

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
hi everyone i got a vandy vape kensei rta and ive tried for days and almost a whole pack of cotton bacon and many different coils from the demon killer set ive tried more cotton less cotton ive tried the Scottish roll ive tried the bow ive watched countless vid on youtube i get great clouds but hardly any/no flavor and some times popping on ramp any ideals?

p.s. its not vapers tongue cause my baby tank still has good flavor
Seems like that tank has a HUGE airflow from the get go. Try reducing the airflow as much as possible. If you can find a smaller drip tip, that would help too. Unfortunately, it seems one was not provided with the kit.
Large airflow, large tip = large clouds
Less airflow, small tip = better flavor
This of course applies when using the same coil.

To be honest, the airflow system seems a bit over done to me. 12 pipes per side, and yet... the air intake slots are pretty standard looking. Looks like it might be a great system for cloud builds, but kind of over kill for a tank where flavor is usually the main factor.

i forgot to mention ive tried that also still nothing every where i read talks about the amazing flavor

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
i forgot to mention ive tried that also still nothing every where i read talks about the amazing flavor
Well, ya got me then. Between what you tried, and the airflow which you also tried... the only other thing I can think of is the RTA chimney design, the part where the vapor goes from coil to your mouth. Not much you can do about that. Generally flavor atomizers have a smaller, more compressed area for vapor collection, cloud atomizers have larger areas to expand the vapor a bit more. Perhaps the baby beast has a smaller vapor collection area? Hard to say, since i don't have the actual atomizers to compare.

Seems to me you have tried everything there is to try, so your best flavor is as good as you will get from that tank. I have RDAs that are the same way. I like my twistedmesses and my tsunami, but fact is, tsunami just produces better flavor, where as the twistedmesses gives bigger clouds and a bit less flavor.

So, I would say if you are vaping for flavor, go with your baby beast, and if you want clouds... use the kensei. Depending one your mood.

everything ive read has said the kensei has great flavor i must be doing something wrong but i dont know what

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
everything ive read has said the kensei has great flavor i must be doing something wrong but i dont know what

Putting the coils super close to the air holes? Got the right wattage for the coils?

yep i tried that ive also gettin a lil closer i think i managed to get some flavor but not much more

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
great flavor
Define great flavor.

Fact is, its subjective. Just do what you can to improve flavor according to tips given. If the baby beast gives better flavor, use the baby beast. Not all tanks are created equal. And flavor varies from one person to another.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I have two of them and I enjoy the flavor very much. My build is staggered fused Clapton's (ss316l, 28gx2/32/32g), 3mm diameter, 6 wraps - reading @ 0.16 ohm wicked with kendo cotton gold edition. Vaping @ 50 watts in wattage/power mode, diy juices and/or 80/20 juices from sauce LA.

The other one is built with fused Clapton's (ss 316l, 28gx2/40g), 7 wraps, 3mm - reading 0.26 ohms, wicked with kendo as well. Vaping this in temperature mode @ 380F on my g2, again using either diy or sauce LA.

We always say wicking matters but with the kensei it really matters. You can build and wick it half drunk because its a big deck, sadly the wicking itself is unforgivable. That means if you put too much cotton in, muted flavor. Same if the tails are too long, or not proper primed. Too short or to less cotton, you'll have a extreme party of spit back in your mouth, as well as leakage from the airflow.

You have to make sure your coils are centered and as close as you can get above the honeycomb airflow. Too high and too low and you get muted flavor! Find the perfect spot for you. Post some pictures if you can, I'm more than happy too look at your coil positioning and wicks. Or maybe me just typing that helped, who knows lol.

Edit, make sure if you're using higher VG liquids that your juice flow is fully opened, I made that mistake once resulting in muted flavor as well.

I did use demon killers coils some month prior, hated the flavor output as well as ramp up time and wasn't a huge fan of it after all, till I switched to stainless steel. Same for cotton bacon, kendo is harder to wick but in my opinion worth the effort. No break in time if fluffed out correctly, longer lasting and I can switch juices on the fly. Now its my opinion and therefore subjective but all that I'll say, kensei together with the Aromamizer my all time favs. I do not own 200000 atties to know ifbits the best, the ones I tested and my personal style of vaping would say its excellent flavor.

Last edited:
Define great flavor.

Fact is, its subjective. Just do what you can to improve flavor according to tips given. If the baby beast gives better flavor, use the baby beast. Not all tanks are created equal. And flavor varies from one person to another.
as in has a taste and isnt just vapor

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
as in has a taste and isnt just vapor
My point was "great taste" is subjective. For example, that same tank and juice would taste different to a "just quit" smoker than it would to a "hasn't smoked for a year". I have 5 RDA and an RDTA on my desk right now.. and no 2 of them give the same flavor. It is odd, that as you are saying flavor is muted, there shouldn't be that much of a difference, given that we looked at everything else there was to look at.

i wonder if i get some wire and make bigger id coils if that would help me wick cause these dk coils are tiny

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
i wonder if i get some wire and make bigger id coils if that would help me wick cause these dk coils are tiny

I don't know the ID of your coils or the idea you're having/getting. But the kensei does support 3 mm ID max 6 wraps or the cap will hit it since its some what narrow. I tried 3.5 ID and depending on the wire you get around 3-4 wraps, a thin Clapton you could squeeze at 5 wraps and probably get away with it. I couldn't with my triple and quad fused lol. So keep that in mind.

Also while I personally think its one of my better rta's I own, and absolutely love the flavor and cloud production I want, I went in it without other peoples opinion. Bought it as it was new and no review out there. Reason I'm mentioning that, it looks to me you're taking a trip on the hype train. Having all these "amazing/best" reviews in your mind. This can cause chasing a ghost. I'm not saying you shouldn't try it with other coils and/or cotton or/and different juice, but you need to have a open mind and maybe accept at the end, that this RDA is maybe not designed for your own personal vaping style, if that makes sense.

Trying too hard to make something work with a complete idea in mind or outcome maybe, causes just the opposite and more frustration.

Im having the same issue, I've tried frailens and parallel 24g kA1.

I think its more of a wicking technique than coil positioning.

Only had it two days and the kylin beats it thus far

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors