Become a Patron!

VTC5A Help Please?

natebuchanan

Member For 4 Years
Hey Family,
Thanks for taking time out of your day to read this.
Been vaping for almost 3 years, got really into mech mods and building almost immediately, single tube mechs have always been my favorite way to vape.
I’ve never had a battery issue before, and I’m not sure if I’m being paranoid or should be legitimately concerned. I just put a freshly charged VTC5A that I’ve had for about 3 months into a black copper Heimdall with a Doge Tank using the RBA section, 0.168 ohm dual 24ga kA1 parallel 5 wrap 2.5 mm id build, I’ve already refilled this long-mode tank 4 or 5 times with this same build in it. I haven’t dropped or mishandled this setup. I’ve never particularly stressed this battery before, never go below 0.14 or so and don’t tend to chain vape, and I haven’t let this battery discharge below 3.3-ish V.
With this mech, I tend to put the negative end in first, with the positive against the switch, for whatever reason I decided to put it positive end in first this time, with the negative against the switch.
I put the battery in, closed it, and fired it for 2 seconds or so, and noticed that it fired, but barely, not even close to 25% of what I am used to from this setup. I unscrewed the switch, took the battery out, and it was fairly warm, plus the wrap seemed dark and almost bubbled about a mm from the bottom of the negative. I took the battery outside, just in case, and it seemed to cool back down to room temp within 3-5 minutes. Never got hot enough to even be uncomfortable to hold, but again, I only fired it for a total of 3 seconds or so, and it was definitely hot. I’m positive the wrap wasn’t damaged in any way before I put it in this mod.
I’ve attached a couple of pictures, I’m curious if someone smarter or more experienced can explain...what most likely happened? Do I need to just discard this battery? I always rewrap any damaged cells, should I wrap and try this battery again?
I’m sorry this is so loooong, just want to give all info I can up front.
I appreciate all of your help.

Attachments

• 3445B1BB-46AF-4944-B7B4-83592ABE72C8.jpeg
    3445B1BB-46AF-4944-B7B4-83592ABE72C8.jpeg
    488.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 7395958A-3705-43D4-BB23-87BF149D4355.jpeg
    7395958A-3705-43D4-BB23-87BF149D4355.jpeg
    533.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 40392622-56CE-43B9-8AC0-0CBFD9085515.jpeg
    40392622-56CE-43B9-8AC0-0CBFD9085515.jpeg
    419.8 KB · Views: 13

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well it looks bubbled in the last pic like the tube got hot and started melting the wrap. I've had a couple Vtc5a get a darker discoloration in the wrap like it looked almost wet. I did get rid of them as I found no solutions but a few others that had the same thing. I would triple check the contacts on the mod and in the general area where the wrap messed up. Maybe while you have it apart go ahead and clean the threads and the switch

natebuchanan

Member For 4 Years
Well it looks bubbled in the last pic like the tube got hot and started melting the wrap. I've had a couple Vtc5a get a darker discoloration in the wrap like it looked almost wet. I did get rid of them as I found no solutions but a few others that had the same thing. I would triple check the contacts on the mod and in the general area where the wrap messed up. Maybe while you have it apart go ahead and clean the threads and the switch
Yeah, that sounds like a plan. Hey, worse case scenario, I’m out an $8 or so battery, and I haven’t burned my house down. Thanks.

VU Sponsors