Become a Patron!

Voopoo Drag Baby Trio Kit - AIO - Pleasantly Surprised

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Drag Baby Trio Kit from Voopoo. The Drag Baby Trio Kit was sent for the purpose of this review by Thea from Voopoo.

https://www.voopoo.com/drag-baby/

Introduction

Voopoo have been prolific of late releasing loads of products, high powered devices, vape pens, pod systems and here we have an AIO device the Drag Baby Trio. The Drag Baby Trio is a tiny simple AIO mod device rather than a vape pen and offers both a true MTL vape or restrictive DL vape depending on the coil used. Powered by the Proprietary Gene Trio Chip is said to output power intelligently but i'm somewhat sceptical but that doesn't take away the fact this is a neat little bit of kit well worth a look!

In The Box

Contents:

1.8ml Standard Edition

1 x DRAG Baby Kit
1 x PnP-M2(0.6ohm)
1 x PnP-C1(1.2ohm)
1 x Glass Tube(1.8ml)
1 x USB Cable
1 x GENE Chip Card
1 x Warranty Card
1 x User Manual

1.8ml TPD Edition

1 x DRAG Baby Kit
1 x PnP-R1(0.8ohm)
1 x PnP-C1(1.2ohm)
1 x Glass Tube(1.8ml)
1 x USB Cable
1 x GENE Chip Card
1 x User Manual
1 x Warranty Card

1.8ml Fans Edition

1 x DRAG Baby Kit
1 x PnP-R1(0.8ohm)
1 x PnP-C1(1.2ohm)
1 x Glass Tube(1.8ml)
1 x Chain Necklace
1 x USB Cable
1 x GENE Chip Card
1 x User Manual
1 x Warranty Card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Drag Baby Trio Kit came in standard cardboard packaging and i received the standard edition Fans version which includes a necklace so the device can be worn around the neck. The device is Zinc Alloy construction with the signature Resin front panel and "DRAG" in large lettering on the reverse. Rather than Resin panel and "DRAG" reverse covering the entire surface making it a Drag lookalike the Baby Trio has side accents in Silver. The Colour option of the device refers to the Resin panel and i received the Ceylon Yellow version but with each Resin panel being unique mine has very little Yellow on it. The colour options are Teal Blue, Aurora, Fiesta, Rhodonite, Ceylon Yellow, Ultra Violet and Ink.
The device is tiny just getting swallowed up in the hand making it very ergonomic and pocket friendly. The base section of the tank is also part of the device and moving to the base we have some venting holes. The spine has "VOOPOO" printed on the vertical and the face has a round fire button with protruding outer ring at the top and micro USB port at the bottom, just above the USB port is a little LED indicator. The central chassis of the device is a sought of Gunmetal colour and at the top of the side where we have the Resin there is a protruding rail to fit either a necklace or lanyard. I just can't fault the build quality or aesthetic look of the device, very impressed!

Drag Baby Trio Specs and Features:

DRAG Baby Trio MOD

Dimensions: 58.5 x 35 x 21.5mm
Battery: Built-in 1500mAh
Power Range: 5-25W
Resistance range: 0.5-3.0ohm
Charge Voltage: 5V/1A
7 Optional Resin Colours
Gene Trio chipset with speedy power output
Tricolour LED indicator light
Quickly Charged in 1.5 hours
Colours: Teal Blue, Aurora, Fiesta, Rhodonite, Ceylon Yellow, Ultra Violet, Ink

Tank

Dimensions: 18.5 x 43mm
Capacity: 1.8ml
Coil: PnP-M2(0.6ohm)/ PnP-C1(1.2ohm)/ PnP-R1(0.8ohm)
Unique dual-hole airflow system
Patented top fill structure
Creative PnP Coils Optimized for DL and MTL Vaping
Colour: Silver

The Tank Section

The base section of the tank is built into the top of the device making it an AIO and both the device and tank can't be used independently. I have a few AIO devices that are vape pens where like on this device the base of the tank section is built into the top of the battery tube but on them the airflow is also on the battery section. The Drag Baby Trio has middle airflow like the Maat tank by simply having the airflow on the bottom of the tank section rather than the base so not really middle airflow but just higher than the standard which does make it more leak resistant, the airflow is dual small cyclops and the air gets directed down once entering the tank to then enter underneath your coil in the usual manner with the tightness of draw being very much determined by the bore of the coil head.
The delrin drip tip is proprietary fixed to the top-cap and MTL in style with a wider bore than you would expect for a MTL vape while being much narrower than you would use for DL vaping and my initial thoughts were this is going to be a jack of all trades but master of none. The tank section is 18.5mm in diameter and with having a straight glass section is just 1.8ml capacity, you receive a spare. The top-cap unscrews from the tank via central threading which reveals two circular ports with silicone pieces inserted with a small hole in the bottom, you need to push your nozzle into one of the ports to fill and air will be able to escape from the other, best results are with smaller nozzles and i think a bottle like the one pictured should of been included. The tank has housing for the coil just to be press fitted into place and the the tank gets screwed onto the base on top of the device.

The Coils

The Drag Baby Trio gives both a MTL and restrictive DL option dependant on which coil you use and there are 3 coils available. I received the standard version which comes with the PnP-C1(1.2ohm) Ceramic MTL coil head and the PnP-M2(0.6ohm) mesh DL coil head. The TPD version excludes the DL coil head in favour of the PnP-R1(0.8ohm) regular MTL coil head that although strictly MTL vapers will be happy with this it baffles me a bit why you would exclude the DL coil when the purpose of the kit is suppose to offer both styles of vaping.

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Using The Drag Baby Trio

The Drag Baby Trio is a simple device which to me (see later section of review) seems to be just a direct output device with the wattage output being dependant on the voltage outputted and resistance of the coil. The device is the usual 5 clicks to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off and both actions are confirmed by 5 white flashes of the LED indicator positioned above the micro USB port. Just press the fire button and vape and the Gene Trio chip takes care of the rest intelligently giving the correct power dependant for the resistance of the coil (isn't that just Direct Output which is why i'm trying to avoid using "smartly"). The device while in use gives battery status indication which is shown by what colour the LED lights when the fire button is pressed.

>60% battery-Green
20-60% battery-Blue
<20% battery-Red

The Drag Baby Trio of course has all the usual safety protections that are indicated by various flashes of the LED if they kick in.

Protections

Overtime Protection
Short Circuit Protection
Overcharge Protection
Low Battery Protection
Output Over Current Protection

My Experience Using The Drag Baby Trio

My review of the Drag Nano Pod Kit was very mixed so i wasn't expecting a lot from the Baby Trio other than it's aesthetically pleasing look and pocket friendly appeal but i am seriously impressed with the Baby Trio. Yes i am sceptical about just how smartly the device outputs power as especially with the 0.6ohm coil head as the battery weakened the power output did drop (not so noticeable with the 1.2ohm coil) so behaved as a direct output device in that regard and nothing "smart".
Coco pops, a popular cereal in the UK (not sure of it's availability elsewhere) caused the manufacturer a big problem as whatever they tried they couldn't stop the chocolate coating coming off and turning the milk brown so turned a negative into a positive by coming up with the slogan "Coco Pops are so chocolatey, they even turn the milk brown". A con that is often given is that a device is direct output but doesn't "intelligently control the power output" sound so much better!
It also says it has intelligent cold boot mode (that would just be how quick the chip fires then), all marketing put aside the Baby Trio really does perform fantastically firing instantly and giving a cracking vape throughout even with the drop off i experienced with the 0.6ohm coil. Both coils gave very good flavour with the MTL being slightly better in this regard but i preferred the restrictive DL vape the 0.6ohm coil gave. Looking at the airflow and drip tip before using i really thought it would just give an adequate vape in both styles and no more but the MTL coil gave a genuine MTL vape, not super tight but similar to a cigarette pull which would suit most new vapers. The DL coil really surprised me just how good of a DL vape it gave, it is restricted but nowhere near as restrictive as i expected giving the kind of vape i like, the airflow with both coils is very smooth.
No idea how they managed to get a 1500mAh battery in the tiny device but with the MTL 1.2ohm coil battery life lasted all day, those that get the TPD version should also get good life using the 0.8ohm coil. The battery life i got using the 0.6ohm coil was fair and considering the size of the device lasted well but a vaper who vapes moderately will struggle to get a full day using this one and as i vape a lot i only got half a day before the battery needed charging. The device only takes 1.5 hours to charge and supports pass-through so happy days!
The capacity of the tank was fair when using the MTL coil although with the smaller wicking holes i stuck to 50/50 nic salts and left the full tank standing a good 10 minutes before vaping. I used high VG (20/80) with the 0.6ohm coil again leaving to stand before vaping and it kept up perfectly well with having much bigger wicking holes. i did find the tank needed filling quite often with this coil in use but if you use a bottle like the one pictured in the review it was a mess free experience when filling.

Very well made
Aesthetically pleasing
Tiny AIO Kit
Pocket friendly
Simple to use
Battery status indication
1500mAh battery
MTL and DL coil (standard version)
Both MTL and DL was very good experience
Fires instantly
Very good flavour (both coils)
Coils still giving cracking flavour after fair use
Smooth airflow
Press fitted coils
Airflow on bottom of tank section rather than base
Leak resistant (don't confuse with leakproof)
Good battery life with 1.2ohm coil
Fair battery life (especially considering size of device) 0.6ohm coil
Spare glass
Charged in 1.5 hours
Supports pass through

Cons

Fixed drip-tip (can't use your own)
Capacity not great for 0.6ohm coil
Using 0.6ohm coil will need charging during the day (unless you are a light vaper)
Drop off as battery runs low with 0.6ohm coil
Not all nozzles will be suitable for filling
A suitable filling bottle in my opinion should of been supplied
TPD version doesn't come with DL coil
Marketing i found slightly misleading (but common with vaping)

I would once again like to thank Thea for supplying the Drag Baby Trio Kit for the purpose of this review.

https://www.voopoo.com/drag-baby/

VU Sponsors