Become a Patron!

Volts vs Watts??

Avanthus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok everyone, Ive been doing some reading about regulated vs unregulated mods and I'm starting to get confused.

It seems to me like an unregulated mod (mech mod correct) has inconsistent voltage due to the straight connection between battery and coil, basically. So you build your coils to a certain ohm range to keep you in a good watt range? am I correct?

In regulated mods, What I understand is that you can adjust the voltage or watts, or both depending on the brand. So you use higher ohm coils to be able to pump either more voltage or watts through them? Regulated mods is where I get fuzzy...

Now as you can see I don't fully understand regulated stuff, but wouldn't it be the best of both worlds if you used a fixed voltage and built your coils for the proper ohm range you wanted to get the desired watts? as long as you select the proper voltage to start out with your good correct??

Where do box mods fall in this scale? are they semi-regulated like what I am thinking of above? It's so confusing right now!

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When you build for a mech mod you build assuming max voltage from the start which should be 4.2 volts...This means you dont go beyond the ohms your battery can handle for the voltage...You ARE creating a wattag3 based on ohms and voltage...the ohms and voltage determine this.

On a mech mod however your "WATTAGE" is at its max performance with a fresh battery and will start to fall as voltage falls...So you can start off with an equivalent of 80 watts and drop to 50 watts at some point...(just an example.)

A good regulated does the math for you in a sense and will maintain your desired wattage the life of the battery charge...The vape is more consistant...Not all have this feature but most do..This is a "step up or step down" feature.

Hope this helps.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im gonna simplify this for you dude..
UNREGULATED DEVICES!
you will built ur coil according to the capacity of ur batteries,that's why they always tell u get an ohm meter, and use the ohms law calculator...
4.2 volts is THE MAX VOLTS and the wattage will depend on ur batteries... , batteries in parallel mode (2 18650 in the same direction) like the ones you see on hybrid boxes itwill still give you the sameVOLTS/WATTAGE, BUT You get more juice or MAH/LIFE when its in parallel mode..
REGULATED DEVICE..
I own a sig 150, it has 2 18650 batteries in series, meaning positive/negative (2 18650 in opposite direction,it gives me double voltage capacity 8.4 volts,/150 WATTS,MAH/JUICE/LIFE remains the same..
I built my coils according to the requirement of the CHIP inside the regulated box. For example a sig 150 can fire down to 0.1 ohm.. (OHM METER)
With regulated devices the chip regulates the battery for you so that you will always have a consistent vape.
I can VAPE on a .15 ohm @80 watts for 2 days without changing batteries, something an unregulated box can't do... the higher the ohms the more volts you get, the Lower the ohms the more watts you get..for example with my current built .15ohms 80 watts 3.2 volts, again don't confuse ur self, this the chip regulating the batteries!!!And this is the sig 150 ok...
When it comes to HYBRID BOXES, this boxes don't have any chips in them but some have safety circuit to protect the circuitry inside the box,you still have to know what ur doing with HYBRIDS...
Unregulated devices/boxes you can pretty much do whatever you want BUT u need to know what ur doing, battery knowledge,ohms law,amps,volts etc..
REGULATED DEVICES
just slap the battery,know what the box is capable of firing then ur good to go,its a safer alternative...
I hope this helps you...
So don't confuse ur self and VAPE SAFELY!
BIGBOYVAPER

Last edited:

VU Sponsors