Become a Patron!

Vapor Storm Puma 200W TC Kit with Hawk Tank

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Puma 200W TC Kit with Hawk Tank from Vapor Storm. The Puma 200W TC Kit with Hawk Tank was sent for the purpose of this review by Alice from Vapor Storm.

https://www.vstormecig.com/Puma-kit.html

Introduction

Vapor Storm in my opinion produce very decent devices at very reasonable prices, here we have the PUMA 200W also marketed as the PUMA 230W (more about that later). It's a plastic, featherweight device that punches more like a heavyweight and comes in various designs, some of the designs won't be for everyone but some are quite cool, with 16 designs in total there should be a design to suit most people. With the Puma Kit we see the Puma matched up with the Hawk Sub Ohm tank which comes with a tinted translucent glass, let's give the kit a look.

In the Box

Contents

1 x Vapor Storm Puma TC MOD( Without Batteries)
1 x Vapor Storm Hawk Tank( 2ml)
1 x Extra Coil( Same to SMOK TFV8 Baby) 0.2ohm mesh 40w - 60w
1 x Extra Glass Tube (6ml)
1 x USB Cable
1 x User Manual
1 x Box Package

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The PUMA comes in a presentation box and once opened i was met by a little stumpy device that weighs practically nothing. The device is made from ABS plastic with a really nice feeling rubberised finish that seems very durable. The PUMA comes in some groovy designs which won't be for everyone but others will love, i received the Rock version which i was very happy with but it's also available in Black Red, Blue Yellow, Blue, Camo Gray, Forever Love, Cartoon, Copper Mine, Iron Mine, Clothing, Punk, Rock, Freedom, Football, Vape on White and Vape on Black. The device is just wide enough at the back to accommodate duel 18650 batteries and then the sides taper inwards making the device much narrower at the front. One side of the device has "VAPES" in large etched deeply into the surface but it gets hidden amongst the design, there is also a venting slit where the battery door fits to the device, the opposite side also has a venting slit but no other features apart from the design. The front of the device has a round, curved fire button which again is hidden within the design but very easy to feel, at the bottom we have the - and + on a rocker and under this the micro USB port, finally on the front we have a OLED screen housed centrally. The base of the device has no features just the design then moving to the top we have towards the front a 510 plate with spring loaded 510. When it comes to build quality it's a plastic device yet it has been made very well and the rubberised finish feels high quality and durable, ergonomically i'm finding the PUMA excellent.

Hawk Sub Ohm Tank Specs and Features:

Material: 304 stainless steel
Diameter: 24mm
Height: 44.5mm
E-liquid capacity: 2ml
Thread type: 510 thread
Colour: Black

Hawk Overview

The first thing i want to mention is that on vendors sites selling the kit and even looking at the information on Vapor Storms site it say's the kit comes with 2 standard 0.5 Sub Ohm coils and a spare 2ml tinted spare glass identical to the pre-installed tank. The kit i received actually came with 2 0.2ohm mesh coils which make much more sense in the current market and the spare glass is a 6ml clear bulge glass.
The Hawk separates into the usual parts, drip tip (it's an 810 with o-rings so your own 810's will fit has long as they have o-rings on them), top-cap (has very heavy texturing for grip, unscrews which reveals 2 generous fill ports and a silicone seal on the underside of the cap), The juice port ring with attached chimney, glass section (tinted Black but very translucent so you can clearly see the juice level), base section (coils screw into the base section and the Hawk is compatible with SMOK TFV8 Baby coils which is a big pro). The tank is an all Black affair with Black tinted glass unless you install the 6ml bulge glass, at the top of the base section we have a Gold ring which breaks up the Black nicely and looks aesthetically pleasing. The Hawk has dual narrow cyclop slots with stopper and finally we have a Gold plated non-adjustable 510 pin which barely protrudes.

Puma Specs and Features:

Size: 80.7 x 43 x 40mm
Material: ABS (lightest Mod)
Battery Type: Dual 18650 batteries(Not included)
Power Range: 5W-200W
Voltage Range: 6.4-8.4V
Resistance Range: 0.06-3ohm
Working Mode: Bypass/VW/TC(NI/TI/SS316)/TCR
Temperature Range: 212-600°F (TC modes)
Display: 0.96-inch OLED display
Unique graffiti body with comfortable hand feeling
Come with the fall-proof and scratch-proof design
Stable and advanced chip for faster fire and better coil flavor
Thread 510
Designs: Black Red, Blue Yellow, Blue, Camo Gray, Forever Love, Cartoon, Copper Mine, Iron Mine, Clothing, Punk, Old Story, Rock, Freedom, Football, Vape on White, Vape on Black

Also known as the PUMA 230W

The Puma is a 200W device when using in variable wattage mode but when in bypass mode and used with the right ohm resistant coil does have the capabilities to hit the 230W mark. Despite it being only capable of 230W in Bypass it has been mistakenly advertised as a 230W variable wattage device but i haven't noticed this being the case for a while.

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Using the Puma

To fit dual 18650 batteries you need to remove the back that can be easily done by using the side venting slots for grip, the door itself has no magnets but relies simply on the precise size of the door and device and i must say the door fits very nicely and i've had no issues whatsoever. Despite having no issues with the battery door yet again we have Black on Black battery orientation (please use white). The device is the standard 5 clicks on and 5 clicks off, once on we have a large bright screen with a wealth of information. The font used for the wattage (temp when in temp control) is very large but as we go down the display the font becomes smaller to cram all the information on the screen, i have good eyesight so have no issues but the info really needs to be slightly larger (they could of reduced the font at the top of the screen to achieve this). The display has the mode at the top, under this is the wattage (temp when in temp control), next we have to the left the last temp you used (last wattage you used when in temp control), no idea why, to the right we have "W" if the main display is displaying wattage or your temperature unit if the main display is temperature. At the bottom of the screen to the left we have 2 battery status bars, to the right of this is the cramped information i referred to which is voltage, amps, resistance and time vaped. To lock the resistance on the device you need to press the + and fire together which makes the resistance flash then pressing fire locks it. On the Puma the device has been made as simple as possible to operate, instead of the usual 3 clicks to enter the menu system you just hold the - and + keys together which causes the mode to flash, now using the + and - buttons you can navigate through the modes which are VW, NI, SS, TI, M1, M2, Bypass and CCW. When choosing a temp control wire it first allows you to set wattage (maximum of 75W in temp control), next you can adjust your TCR if needed, then you can adjust the temperature in the usual way. I can't find a way to lock the device but not sure if i'm just being thick, if the device can be locked and someone knows how a comment would be much appreciated.

My Experience Using the Puma Kit

First thing as usual i want to point out i do not vape using temp control and i do not have the equipment to get data so my reviews are simply based on how i found the device as a personal experience using it. Firing and ramp up times are getting better and better on devices and the Puma fires instantly and hit's set wattage with no noticeable delay. The fire button hidden in the design is easily found and has a nice clicky feel to it. The curve feature works well and the device remains quiet at low wattage, I only took the wattage as high as 110w only because i don't enjoy vaping at high wattage's and i noticed how cool the device kept it really seemed the chip was not having to break a sweat so if the Puma doesn't do the full 200W i believe it will be very close. The Hawk is a good Sub ohm tank with good threading and resistances, the supplied 0.2ohm mesh coil as expected with being mesh gave great flavour, it was noticeable how thirsty the tank was with the 2ml glass, it needed refilling often but installing the 6ml glass would sort that out. The only thing that really needs mentioning is those narrow slots don't give masses of air so very much a restricted lung hit which is probably why i was enjoying great flavour at only 45w so efficient on your batteries. You can fit up to 26mm tanks without overhang and the PUMA supports Fast balanced charging.

Looks good (My opinion)
Well made
Lightweight
High quality rubberised finish
Not underpowered (certainly doesn't seem to be)
High Wattage
Temp control (not tested)
Custom Curve
Very easy to use
Fires instantly
Ergonomically friendly
Bright display
Hawk good Sub ohm tank
Compatible with SMOK TFV8 Baby coils
6ml capacity with bulge glass
Mesh coils give really good flavour
Fast balanced charging
Very well priced

Dislikes

Information at the bottom of screen, font too small.
Black on Black battery orientation
Can't find a way to lock the device
Hawk doesn't give loads of air (not an issue for me but will for those that like loads of air)

I would once again like to thank Alice from Vapor Storm for supplying the Puma 200W TC Kit with Hawk Tank for the purpose of this review.

https://www.vstormecig.com/Puma-kit.html

VU Sponsors