Become a Patron!

Vapor flavors in nature ? (help, there's a bear following me)

dcarpentier

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Is it wise to vape, for example, Blueberry flavor while out hiking in bear country ?
Do some scents attract other animals - I dunno cougars , or even wasps etc ?
Most animals have incredibly powerful sniffers, and can track down scents for a long ways.

If you vaped fish flavor, would you attract cats ?
(was just a funny thought, I hope no one actually makes a fish flavor juice..)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh they do. They certainly make some odd flavors, these are food flavorings :). I stay out of bear country, so can't rightfully say. Makes sense, but just don't know.

Tuluum

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Living right in the middle of bear country (I see at least one weekly), it can definitely be an attractant of sorts.

That said, they are more likely to be interested in actual food smells. It seems they are able to tell that the scents from vaping do not originate from a known food source, so they are driven more by curiosity.

Personally, I've never been concerned about them. Proper precautions are wise, but they aren't some mindless killing machine that some make them out to be.

Mountain lions are a bit different (they ARE cats..) but if you see one, they aren't stalking you and you should be a-ok.

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Is it wise to vape, for example, Blueberry flavor while out hiking in bear country ?
Do some scents attract other animals - I dunno cougars , or even wasps etc ?
Most animals have incredibly powerful sniffers, and can track down scents for a long ways.

If you vaped fish flavor, would you attract cats ?
(was just a funny thought, I hope no one actually makes a fish flavor juice..)
I'm fatally allergic to wasps (specially those evil red ones) and so far none of my sweet juices have attracted them. Now my drinks and cotton candy body spray on the other hand.... :eek:. Of course to be fair... I live on a tiny ridge where the wind is constantly blowing, so no vapor linger in the same spot.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
We might be fooled by, or accept, artificial flavors, but most animals are far more sensitive to the chemicals in the foods they pursue. For instance, ants will completely ignore aspartame, even though it's sweeter than sugar.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd be much more concerned that a bear would smell ME and take it as a dinner bell. :eek:

dcarpentier

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Im in somewhat of a bear country (rural and in the north), had a bear in the yard once, but none since we got a dog again (we were dogless when the bear came around). We do take care ( no garbage sitting around, no apple trees, no birdfeeders), but Id hate to think my vaping some flav would bring in a bear (2 kids to watch for). Im gonna make a simple box and nail it to a tree down the road, with a small cup of blueberry vape juice.. see if it gets ripped apart. not the best test, as its not actually being vaporized.. but Im curious

VU Sponsors