Become a Patron!

Vaping right after charging?

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is there any danger in vaping on my 18650s right after they come off the charger? I usually wait 10 mins or so before slapping em back into my RX200s and vaping, is this dangerous?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Go for it dude!

I have been doing this for YEARS now:confetti:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's better to let them "rest" a while after charging, as charging is the time when the battery is at its most volatiile. How long that "while" should be, I've never seen or heard addressed anywhere, but my own practice is at least 24 hrs. If you don't have sufficient batteries to do that, you'll have to take your chances... and try to acquire more batteries so you can rest them appropriately after charging.

Andria

can_inv

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've never heard of cells resting after charging - 24 hrs? By then they are back on the charger as I've already drained them - running minimal 3 mods and vaping at 100+ a set doesn't last long! :(

Extra sets? I leave home in the morning with 3 mods with fresh cells and minimal 3 sets of fully charged back-ups! :) Yup, I know I have a problem! :) and I LOVE IT!

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've never heard of cells resting after charging - 24 hrs? By then they are back on the charger as I've already drained them - running minimal 3 mods and vaping at 100+ a set doesn't last long! :(

Extra sets? I leave home in the morning with 3 mods with fresh cells and minimal 3 sets of fully charged back-ups! :) Yup, I know I have a problem! :) and I LOVE IT!

You, sir, sound a lot like me! :cheers:

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's better to let them "rest" a while after charging, as charging is the time when the battery is at its most volatiile. How long that "while" should be, I've never seen or heard addressed anywhere, but my own practice is at least 24 hrs. If you don't have sufficient batteries to do that, you'll have to take your chances... and try to acquire more batteries so you can rest them appropriately after charging.

Andria
While I am like most everyone else and if I am closer to my charger I just grab those, I think @AndriaD is probably most accurate.
I have 50+ sets so it isn't an issue other than laziness for me.
Every since I moved my charger 8 feet away from my batteries, I use whatever I am closer to.
My batteries charge overnight so they have normally rested at least a few hours however I'd still use them if they hadn't if I were closer to the freshly charged one v/s the shelved ones.
I try to practice the idea of charging then shelving and only using ones that are already on the shelf, doesn't always happen.
However if they are warm in any way I'll definitely grab from the shelf instead of the charger.
Like @can_inv I never leave home with only a single setup.
While at home I normally have at least 8 going.
Every setup provides something just a little bit different.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just figure that with batteries this powerful, it's much easier and safer to be cautious; better safe than sorry, when that sorry might entail burning down your home/office or severely injured body parts, or, at the VERY least, a destroyed mod.

Of course, I'm a conservative vaper; a 25R or HE2 lasts a full day or even 2 days, and I have 8 batteries in regular use; 4 25Rs and 4 HE2s. If I'm leaving the house for most of the day, I also take along a "just in case" mod with battery in it, and another spare battery too... and some spare driptips, as I have a lamentable tendency to drop my mod and break my acrylic driptips. :facepalm: I've started using my aluminum ones when I leave the house!

For those who run thru a set of 3 batteries in a few hours... may I suggest a man-purse? ;) And perhaps a car charger, even one that allows pass-thru vaping while you're in your vehicle. If you opt for the pass-thru route, choose Innokin; they're the only mod maker I know that explicitly support pass-thru vaping while charging.

Andria

ETA: As for how long that "rest a while" should last... somebody go ask Mooch; he'd know. I don't go to ECF anymore.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'd carry everything in a container that weighed 45 pounds and was the size of a spare tire before I'd ever consider a man purse.
But that's just me.
lol

Well.. whatever it takes. :giggle:

Andria

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seems like everyone has a different take on this, but the safest route is always the smartest. I've always just used em right after charging lol I vape at 50 watts on my RX200S and the batteries take 3 or sometimes 4 days to even reach 3.7v! Would there be any sense in having another trio of cells? I currently only have one!

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seems like everyone has a different take on this, but the safest route is always the smartest. I've always just used em right after charging lol I vape at 50 watts on my RX200S and the batteries take 3 or sometimes 4 days to even reach 3.7v! Would there be any sense in having another trio of cells? I currently only have one!
Guess that'd depend on if the down time while you are charging prevents you from vaping.
If you only charge while sleeping or when not vaping, it'll only be a problem when you get caught with your pants down due to a damaged battery or wrap.
THEN you'll wish you had a spare set waiting on you.
unless your neighbor has a set you can borrow while you wait on the new set t arrive.

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Guess that'd depend on if the down time while you are charging prevents you from vaping.
If you only charge while sleeping or when not vaping, it'll only be a problem when you get caught with your pants down due to a damaged battery or wrap.
THEN you'll wish you had a spare set waiting on you.
unless your neighbor has a set you can borrow while you wait on the new set t arrive.

Man and ya know? I was thinking about that the other day! Haha I have an old Tesla Two that I retired when I got my RX200S and the button is wearing out on it, it would probably have to be my backup. Is it cool to leave a set of fully charged 18650s sitting for about 3 or 4 days? I thought about just keeping a charged pair, but I've heard letting a battery sit at 4.2v for a while is bad for it. I probably wouldn't trust my Tesla Two anymore because of it's iffy button.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Man and ya know? I was thinking about that the other day! Haha I have an old Tesla Two that I retired when I got my RX200S and the button is wearing out on it, it would probably have to be my backup. Is it cool to leave a set of fully charged 18650s sitting for about 3 or 4 days? I thought about just keeping a charged pair, but I've heard letting a battery sit at 4.2v for a while is bad for it. I probably wouldn't trust my Tesla Two anymore because of it's iffy button.

I regularly keep one pair of my batteries out of the rotation, and change which pair that is about once a month -- just because I get a day or 2 out of one battery, so having 8 in constant rotation is really overkill. I see no problems with it.

Andria

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Charging gets the cell to a warm temp, a warm temp gives lower internal resistance and is easier on the cell than pulling power from a cool battery. There is no need to wait after the charge, the cell is at it's prime fresh off the charger.

Where you need to give it a break is after running it and it is much warmer than when charging. That's where you give it ~5 minutes to get to room temp before throwing it on the charger so you don't shorten the life of the cell.

If you are going to put a cell in storage for more than a week you should put it away at storage voltage which is about 3.8v. Much lower or higher reduces the life of a cell if left for too long.

Last edited:

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
There could be an argument made that waiting 10 minutes or something is beneficial to overall cell longevity. But, usually a battery on a high quality charger isn't charging for at least 10 minutes when you grab it. When it gets to full charge the charger should completely shut off charging. So if they've been charged for 10 minutes you are waiting 10 minutes anyway.

I personally don't think even the 10 minutes is necessary. It's for sure not a safety thing.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Letting batteries rest for 10-15 min between charging and discharging will extend battery life.

It also depends if you pull the batteries out of the charger the second they finish charging or they were sitting idle in the charger after being fully charged for a while.

In any case I leave the batteries to sit a while after pulling them from the mod, before placing them in the charger.

can_inv

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You, sir, sound a lot like me! :cheers:

hahahaha yup, it is nice to know that I'm not the only one with this problem - a vaping problem! :)

Since I generally carry a TFV8, an AVOCADO 24 and a CLEITO 120 daily, I also carry spare coils....I usually carry 2-4 30 ml bottles - depending on the atty I'm using - I may carry additional juice and supplies...after all it would be uncivilized to carry only one flavour of juice for all applications... :)

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The best thing to come out of this post is finding out I'm not the only one with a problem. Besides my purse, I have my vape bag with 6 mods, charged batteries for each, 6 tanks, 8 RDA's, juice, coils, drip tips, spare parts... the list goes on. I used to just carry part of the stuff but then I'd always be looking for the "thing" I left at home, so I said screw it and carry a ton of stuff for whatever mood strikes me.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I regularly keep one pair of my batteries out of the rotation, and change which pair that is about once a month -- just because I get a day or 2 out of one battery, so having 8 in constant rotation is really overkill. I see no problems with it.

Andria

Hey Andria! Nice seeing you again.
Hubby is a flashlight junkie. Wait after charging. Charger heats the battery, although cool to the touch, internals need rest. I too also keep 2 sets for everything. So Dude, let'em chill for a bit. So yeah, what @nightshard said....battery guru.

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You don't want to vape hot batteries. Ever. Heat actually kills mah.. science bro. The hype is real.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I mentioned that I get a day or two out of my 25R's and HE2's.... The HE2 I just took out of my minibook and put in the charger was in use all day Sat and Sun... the Xtar says it still had 28% life. :)

If you want the longest possible battery life, vape at low wattage with high resistance. I vape at 9.5-10 watts; current coil is measuring 2.15Ω. :D

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hey Andria! Nice seeing you again.
Hubby is a flashlight junkie. Wait after charging. Charger heats the battery, although cool to the touch, internals need rest. I too also keep 2 sets for everything. So Dude, let'em chill for a bit. So yeah, what @nightshard said....battery guru.

Yeah I really can't see a single reason for anyone who's been vaping for a while to need to go straight from charger to mod; the batteries don't cost that much (illumn.com or liionwholesale.com, and even get a free battery box with every pair you buy, from either of them).

Those just starting who haven't yet accumulated so much vapeware, may need to live more dangerously, but anyone who's vaped for 6 months or more... no need for that kind of risk. Anyone who's never seen what a li-ion battery looks like in full thermal runaway... look it up on youtube. It's appalling.

Andria

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I really can't see a single reason for anyone who's been vaping for a while to need to go straight from charger to mod; the batteries don't cost that much (illumn.com or liionwholesale.com, and even get a free battery box with every pair you buy, from either of them).

Those just starting who haven't yet accumulated so much vapeware, may need to live more dangerously, but anyone who's vaped for 6 months or more... no need for that kind of risk. Anyone who's never seen what a li-ion battery looks like in full thermal runaway... look it up on youtube. It's appalling.

Andria
I've always wondered what an IMR or INR would do. They call em "safe chemistry batteries" but just how MUCH safer are they really? more of a rhetorical, but you get the gist.

Elites

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I mentioned that I get a day or two out of my 25R's and HE2's.... The HE2 I just took out of my minibook and put in the charger was in use all day Sat and Sun... the Xtar says it still had 28% life. :)

If you want the longest possible battery life, vape at low wattage with high resistance. I vape at 9.5-10 watts; current coil is measuring 2.15Ω. :D

Andria
That's great advice BUT what about cloud? Do you get big cloud on 2.15Ω or big cloud on low resistance only?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That's great advice BUT what about cloud? Do you get big cloud on 2.15Ω or big cloud on low resistance only?

To be honest, I couldn't give a rat's ass about a cloud -- I like that vaping is far LESS obnoxious than smoking, not MORE. So no, no big cloud -- thin mist which dissipates very rapidly. Big clouds come only from heat -- low resistance and/or high wattage -- and/or, high VG -- I use 86% PG. It's a trade-off -- you can have either terrific battery life, or you can have obnoxious thick clouds, but not both. Cigarette smoke is not very thick, just very odorous; what I exhale is quite similar in appearance to what I exhaled when I smoked, and dissipates even faster.

Andria

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To be honest, I couldn't give a rat's ass about a cloud -- I like that vaping is far LESS obnoxious than smoking, not MORE. So no, no big cloud -- thin mist which dissipates very rapidly. Big clouds come only from heat -- low resistance and/or high wattage -- and/or, high VG -- I use 86% PG. It's a trade-off -- you can have either terrific battery life, or you can have obnoxious thick clouds, but not both. Cigarette smoke is not very thick, just very odorous; what I exhale is quite similar in appearance to what I exhaled when I smoked, and dissipates even faster.

Andria
I find that 50w on a 0.5 ohm coil is perfect for me. Not a huge cloud, but gives a nice throat hit. 50/50 PG VG

Elites

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I find that 50w on a 0.5 ohm coil is perfect for me. Not a huge cloud, but gives a nice throat hit. 50/50 PG VG
I mostly build 0.5 to 0.6 and 35 - 40 watts 20/80 pg/vg 3mg nic but I got decent cloud not super duper big but enough for me :bingo:
I learn one more thing 0.9 with 15 watts will be good for the office ;) Thanks @AndriaD and @H4X0R46 for feedback.

VU Sponsors