1. THE VAPORJOES NETWORK IS GIVING AWAY A PLAYSTATION 4 PRO
    CLICK HERE FOR INFO

Vaping Outdoors (Canadian Winter)

Discussion in 'Vaping Related But Doesn't Fit In a Category' started by Matty Vapes, Oct 12, 2017 at 12:30 PM.

1. Matty Vapes

Matty Vapes Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys. I'm from a place in Canada where it gets to -30 -40 Celsius during the winter. I was just wondering if it's safe to vape in those conditions? Is it hard on the batteries & electronics? Winters coming and I'm not sure if it's safe or possible to bring my vape around with me..I know my vape would literally be freezing cold even in my pocket..

Just Frank likes this.
  2. JuicyLucy

JuicyLucy My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I live in Alaska and travel all over the state in winter - and been vaping over four years

Generally not an issue - though I avoid leaving electronics where they will be exposed to prolonged exposure

Juice itself will not freeze - though it gets a lot thicker with extreme cold

A couple of years ago I forgot an Eleaf 50W overnight in the car - can't remember the topper used - but it was a little slow to heat up, but worked fine

I have forgotten numerous mechs in the car overnight in all temperature extremes and never had one fail because of that

3. TasteMyToast

TasteMyToast Bronze Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I'm glad I live in Tennessee. I think that I'd just vape inside if it was that cold outside.

ceecee, Letitia9 and Teresa P like this.
  4. Teresa P

Teresa P Flavah 'Ho Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    No worries, I don't think we'll ever see winter in my part of Tennessee ever again. :(

ceecee and Letitia9 like this.
  5. Matty Vapes

Matty Vapes Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I think I'd just suffer or smoke while outside last year..wait for my setup to reach room temperature when I got in and vape then..I was just hoping I could bust it out in minus 40 and vape lol I can picture my lips getting stuck to the drip tip now lol

ceecee, JuicyLucy and Letitia9 like this.
  6. TasteMyToast

TasteMyToast Bronze Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I grew up in Indiana, winter is overrated. It's October and I still have the top off my Jeep.

ceecee, Teresa P and Letitia9 like this.
  7. Letitia9

Letitia9 Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    We didn't have a real winter here in southern Illinois last year. I'm good with that, but don't think it is a good thing in the long run. Spring comes wat too early and wildlife are having multiple litters. Noticed this year some of the stray cats are having more litters as well.

ceecee likes this.
  8. Teresa P

Teresa P Flavah 'Ho Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Upper 80s here and the AC chucking like it's mid-July. :mad:
    And oh...the...BUGS...:gaah:

9. bobnat

bobnat VU Donator Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Here in the UAE I took off my t-tops for the first time today. I should get the whole roof off next month.

10. SteveS45

SteveS45 Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    While we do not have below zero weather here in New York very often I have been outside for extended periods of time where it was close to Zero Degrees. I have noticed with the colder air a little more wattage is required to get a decent vape.

11. Letitia9

Blog Posts:
    Temps are cooling off here and finally got some rain. Hopefully we'll have a fall. Leaves have been dropping off instead of turning. Miss the show.:(

ceecee and skt239 like this.
  12. Just Frank

Just Frank Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Im from Minnesota and vape all winter. Even while skiing, ice fishing, sledding, I got something with me. I try to keep my mod close to my body. -30, -40 though...thats bad. It gets that low here but we try stay inside as much as possible when its that dang cold.

I dropped my setup in the middle of a busy street during a snowstorm. It was found a day later and I got it back. It still works fine (tank was destroyed lol). I assume it was ran over multiple times.

bobnat, ceecee, JuicyLucy and 2 others like this.
  13. Canadian Vaper

Canadian Vaper Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Keep your vape in the inside pocket of your jacket when it's cold, can be a little annoying but meh..

If you know it's going to be extreme weather warning cold -30 or lower what I do is use a RDA with massive kanthal coils built very close to the deck posts (something I've dubbed it the Heater Core Build) so when you fire it it warms up the 510/mod a bit. Last winter I kept a RDA with dual twisted 24g @3.5mm in it which worked perfectly. I don't recommend using this type of builds in warmer areas though because it can cause overheating.

If you use max VG you may want to consider cutting the tip off of your bottle a bit as well to make the hole a bit bigger/easier to dispense.

This winter I'm going to be trying out an inception build as a heater core which I've perfected pretty decently.. anyways hope this helps >.<

Edit* for the drip tip get a POM one off of FT...

[​IMG]

14. Drake m

Drake m New Member

Blog Posts:
    Northern Minnesota to and its used all year. Its kept inside my jacket till its needed. Works fine with rda. Only thing i have a problem with is the vapor freezing on my mustache and beard but that happens none the less just from breathing in the cold like that

15. Letitia9

Blog Posts:
    Reading these posts I am so grateful to be living in southern IL. Was raised in northern IL and thought winter was bad there.

UnholiestSpork and ceecee like this.
  16. Chokeslam

Chokeslam Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Not that it's any of my business, but where in southern IL? I'm originally from Norris City, living in Kentucky now though. You might be the first person from around there that I've ever seen on the internet, haha.

Letitia9 likes this.
  17. Letitia9

Blog Posts:
    West Frankfort. Paducah is just over a hours drive. White Co., not great reception over there.

18. Chokeslam

Blog Posts:
    Ah. I use to work for a company that mowed a few cemetaries in and around there, and the gigantic one in Benton. Small world. :cheers:

Letitia9 likes this.
  19. Letitia9

Blog Posts:
    Did you work for Wilbert?

20. Letitia9

Blog Posts:
    Just caught the word mowed. Little distracted. I work for Wilbert and we service White Co.

Chokeslam likes this.
  21. Chokeslam

Blog Posts:
    No, a little outfit out of Norris City called Russell's Mowing and Landscaping. Not sure if they still do business around there or not, 2014 was the last season I was with them.

Letitia9 likes this.
  22. Drake m

Drake m New Member

Blog Posts:
    Northern Minnesota to and its used all year. Its kept inside my jacket till its needed. Works fine with rda. Only thing i have a problem with is the vapor freezing on my mustache and beard but that happens none the less just from breathing in the cold like that

Letitia9 likes this.
  23. UnholiestSpork

UnholiestSpork New Member

Blog Posts:
    I live in Central California, and we get temps up to 120 at times and only down to freezing barely in winter. Wish we had a real fall/winter here. Fall is about a week in November then it is winter for a month then spring for a couple weeks before summer hits again. Always wondered if Vapor froze. Interesting.....

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Letitia9 likes this.
  24. f1r3b1rd

f1r3b1rd Phantom Pilot Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I'm from New Orleans La, but moved just south of lake earie in Ohio last year.
    I had similar concerns, knowing winter here brings -15 to -20°.
    I know it's not as cold as you get, but I still made a few adaptions.
    I stick with Teflon coated, resin or delrin driptip (which I prefer anyway) I also don't use above 60vg juice since anything higher will be extra thick in the cold when put in a tank or hard to drip out of a bottle.
    I've left mods in the truck overnight without issue although I would recommend avoiding that if possible.

JuicyLucy and Letitia9 like this.
  25. Canadian Vaper

Canadian Vaper Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately I developed an allergy to PG, apparently I most likely had it but its just gotten worse since I started vaping, anything over 15% PG really bothers me :/ I definitely do miss some TH which is why I sub-ohm 6mg instead of 3mg which I prefer.

When it gets really really cold like -30C and you fire your coil with max vg the wick doesn't thaw out fast enough to properly feed the coil juice so you can get dry hits which is why I came up with the heater core although I don't actually use it often just when it went down below -30C (-22F) without the windchill which doesn't happen too too often here.

Letitia9 likes this.