Become a Patron!

Vaping may be destroying your home!

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had another thread about droplets on things. I am not sure if what I am about to state is also due to Max VG or even 50/50 or more PG. I have a state of the art whole home hepa filtration system on ultra high efficiency forced air systems. I just removed the filter media for it's regular change. It was dripping with oil! Very bad news. I am not sure if switching to 50/50 or more PG will solve this problem or not I cannot imagine this is all VG's fault. Plus what can this be doing to my lungs? This filter will trap absolutely any contaminant and it certainly caught this. This amount of moisture is very bad for a home and will ruin HVAC equipment with ordinary filters. This is very bad news because I plan to continue to vape. Do you guys really feel going to much less VG will really solve this problem? Of course if it is collecting on walls, furniture Etc. this type of filter got soaked with it. I am just not sure this is safe for my home or me. If just higher PG is really the answer than so be it. I am kind of doubting that wil make a difference as for the HVAC but I really don't know.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Couldn't say for sure if more pg would rid you of the problem but I would think it would reduce it.

Vape outside is a surefire solution.

For your lungs, it would seem to be better than smoking but for sure not putting anything in your lungs besides air is best.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No surprise here.
You have PG and VG particles in the air that your filtration system grabs and turns back into liquid.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The company I work for is one of the largest home improvement companies in the north east so I talk to a lot of HVAC guys. When I first started vaping my wife was concerned about the air quality in our home with all the vapor. When my wife talked to one of our hvac managers at a work function she asked if our filtration system (we have a similar system) would get rid of the all the vapor and any residuals. She was concerned because she was not seeing any signs of the vapor in the filters and was afraid it was all going into my daughters lungs.

According to the tech, I would have to vape a metric fuck ton (his words) before we would see any signs of it in filters and that most of it dissipates before it makes it through the system. He said some of his customers are heavy indoor smokers and not even cig smoke would be noticeable on filters. I'm not doubting you, just passing on the info as there could be an issue with your system.

Did it have a smell to it?

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I should also add I'm not a technician of any kind, in fact I'm the furthest thing from it. I can't even assemble a night stand from IKEA.

Whitesoxfan2579

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't think I'm really buying into that theory, but it doesn't really matter to me as I vape outdoors anyway.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
The company I work for is one of the largest home improvement companies in the north east so I talk to a lot of HVAC guys. When I first started vaping my wife was concerned about the air quality in our home with all the vapor. When my wife talked to one of our hvac managers at a work function she asked if our filtration system (we have a similar system) would get rid of the all the vapor and any residuals. She was concerned because she was not seeing any signs of the vapor in the filters and was afraid it was all going into my daughters lungs.

According to the tech, I would have to vape a metric fuck ton (his words) before we would see any signs of it in filters and that most of it dissipates before it makes it through the system. He said some of his customers are heavy indoor smokers and not even cig smoke would be noticeable on filters. I'm not doubting you, just passing on the info as there could be an issue with your system.

I have to agree. I have had our A/C unit replaced over three months ago. Just recently had the filter replaced, which didn't show any signs of vape residue at all, although vaping 80-90 VG.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Either you are dramatizing the filter actually dripping with VG or you have not changed your filter in a forever.

Yes, VG does leave deposits in your home. It's not like VG breaks down and goes away. However, normal house keeping should keep up with this. Annual wall washing, window cleaning, etc. are good enough to keep things clean.

You should be having your furnace serviced annually anyway. In this service, it should include a basic cleaning. As well as having your duct work cleaned every few years, in the least.

I don't mean to sound like a giant dick, but house keeping is important, and one thing in today's world, a lot of people don't do enough of. I know, I am in and out of a lot of homes.

People in general today are not as clean conscious as they were a generation or two, ago.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I vape 25 - 45 ml per day.
I vape 25 - 45 ml per day.
Yes I intentionally repeated that.
My end mix is 30PG/70VG. (only because I use 30% flavoring otherwise I'd add ZERO PG.
I have intentionally searched throughout the house looking for signs of things you've reported.
Other than on my patio doors and a few windows, I am yet to find any such residue.

By no means am I saying that what you have stated is in any way incorrect.
I have not been to your house so I can't tell you what you found.
I'm just saying that with as much as I vape (plus wife and daughter vape but combined they use about 8ml per day) I'd suspect that if your findings were common that I'd find much more than a bit of glass that needed some Windex.
Sure, humidity levels will play a large part into this but I just can't imaging there'd be near as much difference between what you are finding and what I find.
Unless you have 400 chain vapers in your house 24/7.
I've been in local vape shops that you can NEVER see 2 feet in front of your face the entire time they are open unless you walk outside and even they don't have the type of findings you mention.
Just glad I don't have the kind of luck you do.
Sorry for your findings, hope you get it figured out.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had another thread about droplets on things. I am not sure if what I am about to state is also due to Max VG or even 50/50 or more PG. I have a state of the art whole home hepa filtration system on ultra high efficiency forced air systems. I just removed the filter media for it's regular change. It was dripping with oil! Very bad news. I am not sure if switching to 50/50 or more PG will solve this problem or not I cannot imagine this is all VG's fault. Plus what can this be doing to my lungs? This filter will trap absolutely any contaminant and it certainly caught this. This amount of moisture is very bad for a home and will ruin HVAC equipment with ordinary filters. This is very bad news because I plan to continue to vape. Do you guys really feel going to much less VG will really solve this problem? Of course if it is collecting on walls, furniture Etc. this type of filter got soaked with it. I am just not sure this is safe for my home or me. If just higher PG is really the answer than so be it. I am kind of doubting that wil make a difference as for the HVAC but I really don't know.
I would be willing to bet your evaporator coil is causing the moisture, not vaping.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I would be willing to bet your evaporator coil is causing the moisture, not vaping.
Not necessarily. It may be, but only if it is frozen and thawing back out, dripping off onto the filter.

Most are not desgned (A-coils) to run moisture everywhere. When they drip usually, it drips down to a small catch pan, that leads to a drain. Sometimes the drain gets plugged with bugs and dust. Filters generally don't catch that water either, but I don't know what he has for a set up either.

Who knows really. In order for the filter to be "dripping" like was stated, someone who have to pour something over the damn thing, IMO.

VG does leave a film on things close to where you vape. I have seen that first hand. But I live in a small house and my filters look like ones from a non smoking/vaping house. Nothing different about them.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The A-coil is not oily film. I can only guess what it was. I am a clean freak. Even though I have multiple pets. That is why therfe is a positive presure ULPA system I know i said HEPA before. This is not for everyone. It is what is used in Semiconductor clean rooms. You Honestly replace the filter every Five years. So it had worked on this steam plenty. It is not at all something like a furnace filter. The thing is it is obviously going there in my home which is actually good. Where does it go in a home with a 1" furnace filter? Yes, have your ducts cleaned! I am very worried about this. The sheer amount of it was ludicrous. What this is, is 6 4" hospital grade filters in series with a fan that can pull enough cfm to give the proper delivery to the furnaces. It was designed by a top HVAC company here. Widely in use in commercial applications. I just couldn't believe it. At least it is going in the filter and not everywhere else I guess. I vape about 30ML a day. I did not mean to alarm anyone but I was amazed. I have to bypass the fire alarms when I vape. They come back on after a maximum of an hour. They are photo-electric so very sensitive. Most homes have ionizing and will not go off.Probably my fault for putting commercial products in residential.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Make sure your condensate drain is not plugged.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The A-coil is not oily film. I can only guess what it was. I am a clean freak. Even though I have multiple pets. That is why therfe is a positive presure ULPA system I know i said HEPA before. This is not for everyone. It is what is used in Semiconductor clean rooms. You Honestly replace the filter every Five years. So it had worked on this steam plenty. It is not at all something like a furnace filter. The thing is it is obviously going there in my home which is actually good. Where does it go in a home with a 1" furnace filter? Yes, have your ducts cleaned! I am very worried about this. The sheer amount of it was ludicrous. What this is, is 6 4" hospital grade filters in series with a fan that can pull enough cfm to give the proper delivery to the furnaces. It was designed by a top HVAC company here. Widely in use in commercial applications. I just couldn't believe it. At least it is going in the filter and not everywhere else I guess. I vape about 30ML a day. I did not mean to alarm anyone but I was amazed. I have to bypass the fire alarms when I vape. They come back on after a maximum of an hour. They are photo-electric so very sensitive. Most homes have ionizing and will not go off.Probably my fault for putting commercial products in residential.

What very well could be happening, is that this system pulls way TOO much air. Not bad for clean air, but sucks so much air, the cloud doesn't have time to dissipate, and gets sucked into the filter.

Likely, those filters are really expensive. You would be better off vaping outside only.

And yes, you should not have spent so much money on this system, unless you have really bad allergies. It's too big for a home, from the sounds of it all.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Yeah, we don't have a fancy system like that; just a normal gas furnace/Trane air conditioner, and we use normal HVAC filters, and we really haven't seen anything on the filters; they're as clean as they were before I vaped (I smoked outdoors, now vape indoors). But, I also use 85% PG, which dissipates in less than 10 seconds.

Andria

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And yes, you should not have spent so much money on this system, unless you have really bad allergies. It's too big for a home, from the sounds of it all.

I agree; HEPA filtration is like for clean rooms, where hard disk drives are assembled. Totally unnecessary in a home.

Andria

dcarpentier

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would think condensate off of the A-coil would be too heavy and would just fall to the tray in drips.
Its possible your refrigerant is leaking via a pinhole.. eventually the low pressure switch will shut it down and you'll know that one (if it is).

For people that are comparing air filters.. there's a huge diff between even a quality 1" regular furnace filter and high-MERV commercial filters.

When the wife and I still smoked here in this computer room, we kept a window fan going (yes, all year, even at -35), plus a big-ass Honeywell filter to try and keep the rest of the house clean. The door is shut and the in/out hvac grills blocked.
To add to the stupidity, we would run a 1500w electric heater and dress warmly to make up for that open window.
So.. I researched what was needed to filter cig smoke and this turned out to need a MERV14/15 4" thick filter. I bought the cabinet for it, and a pressure differential meter (so you dont fry the furnace motor due to lack of flow) and stopped just shy of buying the air filters themselves ($45 each if you buy a case at a time). Just after that, I switched to vaping !

All I could find for vaping particulate size is a wiki which stated some test results of 600nm to 300nm (or 0.6u to 0.3u).
A MERV 13-16 class filter would trap this, but they would just fly right through regular home filters.

For the OP.. look into mounting a low pressure magnehelic gauge (one side goes pre-filter bank, the other goes post) and only change out your filters when the pressure drop equates to your minimal flow rate .. or at least set some relative service point. Changing out expensive filters if not required is just money lost. I got my Dwyer gauge on ebay for about $40.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It electronically monsters the filters. Not just a timer either. It is MERV 28. It has it's own pressure,motor before it goes into the furnaces as not to starve them of air. I really don't know what is wrong. i am calling the HVAC guy Monday. I am certainly into overkill. These fire alarms were the worst idea for vaping too. Let's just wait for the HVAC guy....... thank you everyone that participated thus far.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wait. It cannot be the A/C. This is going into the A/C not out and it is about 14 feet from the furnaces. I just checked the meter on the Freon and it is in the green arrow. it is draining I can hear it. I just have to wait for the guy. The thing is though iall the glass in here is covered with an oil slick. so that must be it. For starters I have to try to way up the PG. I am on 100% VG.

dcarpentier

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
With a MERV28 filter system, evidence of precipitable airborne VG would be caught in that filter and noted long before us 'regular' users would notice. There are other threads where ppl mention buildups inside computers and on walls/fans, so something is depositing.. its likely not going to "destroy" a home though.
How is the humidity in that house ? If I recall, some other posters with issues were in FL etc.

Try a 50/50 pg/vg ..

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, in retrospect I am sorry I used such a outrageous title. I do apologize for that. I was personally shocked so I jumped to conclusions, ran and posted. Without thinking. Of course MERV28 is going to catch that. Especially with positive pressure applied. I just panicked. I am sorry.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, in retrospect I am sorry I used such a outrageous title. I do apologize for that. I was personally shocked so I jumped to conclusions, ran and posted. Without thinking. Of course MERV28 is going to catch that. Especially with positive pressure applied. I just panicked. I am sorry.
Did you find out what is causing this today?

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
HVAC company owner is my neighbor. I asked him. He said any moisture in the air will be picked up by that system. Especially if it is heavier than air. I was just very surprised how much there is but you replace those filters every 5 years. So it built up.

aholloway1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My problem is my truck windshield. It has to be windexed damn near every day or I can't see when the sun hits the hazy film that has built up on the inside of my glass and blinds me. Could go loads longer in between windshield cleanings when I smoked.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My problem is my truck windshield. It has to be windexed damn near every day or I can't see when the sun hits the hazy film that has built up on the inside of my glass and blinds me. Could go loads longer in between windshield cleanings when I smoked.

Simple solution to this.. Same as for a smoker.. OPEN the window, a crack, and your windshield stays cleaner longer.

I don't believe that is vaping residue in the filter.. My bet is you have a humidity issue in your home. Not caused by exhaling glycerin. But you say the mess is oily which leads me to a AC compressor issue of some kind. Again still not vaping. Oh don't have the neighbor how owns the AC Co. diagnose the issue. get a neutral party for that.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Simple solution to this.. Same as for a smoker.. OPEN the window, a crack, and your windshield stays cleaner longer.

I don't believe that is vaping residue in the filter.. My bet is you have a humidity issue in your home. Not caused by exhaling glycerin. But you say the mess is oily which leads me to a AC compressor issue of some kind. Again still not vaping. Oh don't have the neighbor how owns the AC Co. diagnose the issue. get a neutral party for that.
Lol. When did they start putting the compressors on the A/C units inside? Your Freon line and A-coil are inside, but that's usually it.

Were it me, I would call an expert. Be it the company that installed it, or a competent tech.

I don't think I would have a guy on the internet diagnose the issue, when they don't know where a compressor is located. :D

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Windshields are a beast to keep clean. I crack a window open in our truck and the windshield still gets that fog film when it gets cold outside. How I clean my windshield and house windows, I bought a commercial degreaser and do it in a 2 step process. first with a wet with degreaser with a fabric cloth you get 1 swipe then fold over and swipe again on a clean part of the cloth, once all the clean parts of the cloth are used you rinse the cloth and do it again, this is to cut the VG and pick it up, its a tedious process but works. You can't just wipe the window cause it just moves the VG film around and actually makes it worse. I then after that spray the same degreaser and wipe with paper towels and same procedure as the cloth, only clean small area before replacing the paper towel, IMO the VG clogs the paper towel or cloth then just moves the VG around rather than pick it up. My first winter after vaping all summer in the vehicle was quite the shitshow and all I had to look out of the fogged windshield was a small opening right ontop the defroster, brought back the early 70's datsuns and toyotas that had real poor heaters and fan systems for some of the Canadian prairie winters and took eons to defrost the windshield.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Windshields are a beast to keep clean. I crack a window open in our truck and the windshield still gets that fog film when it gets cold outside. How I clean my windshield and house windows, I bought a commercial degreaser and do it in a 2 step process. first with a wet with degreaser with a fabric cloth you get 1 swipe then fold over and swipe again on a clean part of the cloth, once all the clean parts of the cloth are used you rinse the cloth and do it again, this is to cut the VG and pick it up, its a tedious process but works. You can't just wipe the window cause it just moves the VG film around and actually makes it worse. I then after that spray the same degreaser and wipe with paper towels and same procedure as the cloth, only clean small area before replacing the paper towel, IMO the VG clogs the paper towel or cloth then just moves the VG around rather than pick it up. My first winter after vaping all summer in the vehicle was quite the shitshow and all I had to look out of the fogged windshield was a small opening right ontop the defroster, brought back the early 70's datsuns and toyotas that had real poor heaters and fan systems for some of the Canadian prairie winters and took eons to defrost the windshield.
Rain-X is a Wonderful thing, give it a try.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

aholloway1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I do crack my windows, I sub ohm and wouldn't be able to see through the cloud to drive if I didn't lol. It still hazes my windows up

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol. When did they start putting the compressors on the A/C units inside? Your Freon line and A-coil are inside, but that's usually it.

Were it me, I would call an expert. Be it the company that installed it, or a competent tech.

I don't think I would have a guy on the internet diagnose the issue, when they don't know where a compressor is located. :D

I'm NO ac tech.... Too me, a freon leak or oil in the filter or ducts, IS a compressor issue. Because the compressor is the only source of oil, I can think of.

I agree with calling an expert. Just not always calling the original installer/seller, first. Unless it's a for sure warranty type situation.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm so behind the times... I still use Windex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aholloway1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm so behind the times... I still use Windex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My truck windows are tinted, no windex for me. Before vaping I used vingar & water 50/50. Now I need something better than the vinegar :(

Debbiej

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had a problem with oil on car windows too. I changed the VG I was using. It helped........a lot. The vape isn't as heavy, wet either. It's more expensive but worth it. I wanna say it's a derivative of coconut not palm, but can't remember if that was the mic or VG or both. I'll have to look up if anyone interested.

WOW, I was under the impression that vaping was harmless in your cars. I have been secretly vaping in my fathers car for about a month now. I never noticed anything. Does it take a long time to build up?

aholloway1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In
WOW, I was under the impression that vaping was harmless in your cars. I have been secretly vaping in my fathers car for about a month now. I never noticed anything. Does it take a long time to build up?
my case, no, I start noticing after a few days.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm NO ac tech.... Too me, a freon leak or oil in the filter or ducts, IS a compressor issue. Because the compressor is the only source of oil, I can think of.

I agree with calling an expert. Just not always calling the original installer/seller, first. Unless it's a for sure warranty type situation.
Actually, the Freon has oil mixed in it. The compressor doesn't have a "crankcase" like a car has.

If it were a Freon leak, it's just a leak. Though the A/C won't work long if it IS leaking. Home units don't hold that much Freon anyway. Typically just a few pounds.

The installer will be the expert in this case. This system is a special system. Techs tend to specialize in something. The likelihood of just any tech knowing this system is slim.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
if anything that is not air will get trapped. then I'm blame wet Farts on the oily build up. have the system and duct work fully inspected I would be willing to bet you have a roof leak that is making it's way into the system some how.

aholloway1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had a problem with oil on car windows too. I changed the VG I was using. It helped........a lot. The vape isn't as heavy, wet either. It's more expensive but worth it. I wanna say it's a derivative of coconut not palm, but can't remember if that was the mic or VG or both. I'll have to look up if anyone interested.
Yes, I'd like to know. I often find high vg makes my lungs feel a little "heavy", and I wonder if this would also help with that.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I found a complete solution to this. Not everyone will be able to do this. I have whole house ULPA filtration. That is clean room level filtration. However the system only cycles about 15 minutes per hour. I found if i juts turn the system on maximum and set it to continuous run while I am vaping there is nothing at all. Not even on this filter. It is strange the filter got all wet when on a 15 minute cycle but not when run the entire time I am vaping. I also had replaced the filter media after it was damaged which is very expensive. I have zero residue now. Plus I have much less dust and animal hair running it more often. It is simply to expensive to operate 24/7 though. I have no issue whatsoever now. It even removed deposits that were already present on stuff. This is some serious filtration though and not for most homes. I do not know if ordinary filters or even a honeywell whole home filter would be able to remove this. at least I found a solution to this issue but others may not unfortunately.

Oh, actually these compressors do have crankcases as this is all commercial equipment in a very large home. They even have crankcase heaters that will warm them up if you turn on the a/c when it is too cold outside to avoid damage to them.

I can set a higher run interval as I have access to the installer menu but it is simply too expensive to operate that way.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Oh, actually these compressors do have crankcases as this is all commercial equipment in a very large home. They even have crankcase heaters that will warm them up if you turn on the a/c when it is too cold outside to avoid damage to them.

Yes, I know that. But like I said it's NOT a crankcase like a car has. You can't "drain" it like a car. It is all internal in the housing. Freon and oil are pooled underneath the piston and are slung onto the cylinder and piston, more in the fashion of old small engines. No "oil pump", no changing the oil without draining and vacuuming down the system.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes indeed you are correct about that. One thing though the compressor,Capacitors Etc. are much easier to swap out on commercial chillers. Since they are likely to see much harder usage and may require constant uptime depending on the models. That has nothing to do with what you said. I was just pointing out that they swap out much faster in the event of a failure. It is correct that the crankcases are a sealed unit with the compressors though. You must vacuum it. Here in the boondocks many jerks will dump the Freon right into the air. There is no building code here but that is a Federal law. I don't like to see it either as destroying the planet is not cool. Mine are all 113a or whatever the new stuff is anyways plus part is Geothermal and wind driven. I obtain electricity that way too. There is no infrastructure here. Other than that it is Propane generators.

Now I spoke too soon Dammit! I realized upon turning off the system and relieving the positive pressure it leaks right out of the huge returns! Who knows what this is doing to sealed ductwork. I just cannot run this 24/7 the cost is prohibitive. For one thing if I use up the filter media it is $5,500. The Hvac guy was able to clean it though and found nothing leaking anywhere. He concurred it is my vaping and said why don't you just smoke lol. That media should last 20 years though under ordinary usage.

Vaping is not without it's problems but it is my choice to use 100% VG too. Furthermore fuck my nice home my life is more important. Him saying to smoke he has no clue of course. I really don't even give a shit about damage as long as I am healthy. You know what? After just 2 years of vaping and going on 9 i was able to cut way back on heart,bp meds Etc. My EKG looks very good now. So that is all I really care about. This was just to let people know they can be causing damage. Me, I don't really care.

VU Sponsors