Become a Patron!

Vaping is Making Me Gag | (I don't know if this is the right forum)

JustYourAverageVapeGuy

Member For 3 Years
I've been vaping for about a year and a half, and only recently have I had this happen. I'm using the Kanger Nebox, 0.5 Ohm SSOCC coils, max VG, 25-35W.
Whenever I take a hit longer than a few seconds, I find myself gagging when I exhale. This happens regardless of flavor, wattage, nicotine content, and other factors. My mod is clean, and nobody else seems to experience this when using my mod (although they don't take hits nearly as long as the ones that make me gag.)
Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's happen to me when the cloud is too thick and flavorful....... Just the thickness makes me gag and start coughing......

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Kanger Nebox
This may be your problem in itself. I'm a huge Kanger fan, but this device is absolutely terrible. It leaks like a sieve over time and the draw is so completely lacking in resistance that any vape feels like air. So, you wind up turning it up higher and/or drawing deeper, and getting comparatively little vape in return.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Like Manny says. My lungs can't handle max vg as well. I need 30% pg to thin it out some. Tastes better too :)

JustYourAverageVapeGuy

Member For 3 Years
This may be your problem in itself. I'm a huge Kanger fan, but this device is absolutely terrible. It leaks like a sieve over time and the draw is so completely lacking in resistance that any vape feels like air. So, you wind up turning it up higher and/or drawing deeper, and getting comparatively little vape in return.
I've actually been using my finger to control the resistance, and I don't feel any difference.
As for the leaking, I don't have too much of a problem, and neither does my friend who also has one I think it may just be an manufacturing issue that was fixed?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I found that water makes it pop too much, hate that. I just stick to 85% PG. :)

Another factor might be flavorings -- maybe decrease the flavoring percentage; if it's bought ejuice, add some PG, to both thin it, and make it less flavored. I've always preferred very heavy flavoring and sweetener, but lately I'm coming down on both rather drastically, and it's better.

Andria

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The Nautilus is a great tank with decent flavor.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you switch to mouth to lung. You'll start noticing the lower nic in lung juice won't satisfy.

Good point; I advised a lady of the same who wanted less vapor and more TH, that she would probably want more nic if there was less vapor, which would also help the TH.

Andria

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've actually been using my finger to control the resistance, and I don't feel any difference.
As for the leaking, I don't have too much of a problem, and neither does my friend who also has one I think it may just be an manufacturing issue that was fixed?

If you have another device, stand the Nebox up with its tank full for a day or two. I've yet to see one that doesn't leave puddles behind.

I know exactly what you're talking about with the Nebox, because it does exactly the same thing to me. I take deep, long draws with strong pulls. On this device, no matter the coils or settings, I can not take more than a 3 second pull. I actually bought it for my wife, but she refuses to use it for all of the problems mentioned.

JustYourAverageVapeGuy

Member For 3 Years
Switch to a mouth to lung topper and that will help. An Aspire Nautilus will work well.
An atty with a tight draw, so you can get good resistance to the draw (not the ohms, but the physical air resistance). Kayfun is good, if you like tanks.

Andria

An atty with a tight draw, so you can get good resistance to the draw (not the ohms, but the physical air resistance). Kayfun is good, if you like tanks.

Andria

I'm getting good air resistance; I've been controlling it using my finger (usually my little or ring finger). Any other ideas?
I'm inclined to believe that it's because I'm using very strong flavors, as Zamazam suggested.

JustYourAverageVapeGuy

Member For 3 Years
If you have another device, stand the Nebox up with its tank full for a day or two. I've yet to see one that doesn't leave puddles behind.

I know exactly what you're talking about with the Nebox, because it does exactly the same thing to me. I take deep, long draws with strong pulls. On this device, no matter the coils or settings, I can not take more than a 3 second pull. I actually bought it for my wife, but she refuses to use it for all of the problems mentioned.

I always lay it on its side because the air comes through the bottom.Basically the same reasoning that you don't lay a normal mod on its side
Do you have any suggestions for a cheap mod that I can use until I'm able to save up for something better?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You should not need to use your finger to adjust the draw. I'd look for flavors that are not as strong or sweet.

JustYourAverageVapeGuy

Member For 3 Years
You should not need to use your finger to adjust the draw. I'd look for flavors that are not as strong or sweet.
I mean you're right. I shouldn't *need* to, but I just assumed it was a compromise you had to make when getting a Nebox, and it's almost become a habit to do so.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
too much pg gives me mud butt.
as for the gagging, it happens to me sometimes. not so much the gagging but the cough. its almost as if i sent the plumes down the wrong pipe and my guts rebelled on me.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

JustYourAverageVapeGuy

Member For 3 Years
Thanks for the information and the suggestions, everyone. I'll try to use some less strong or sweet flavors, and if that doesn't work, I will look at getting a new mod. :)

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
How cheap do you want to go? Is all-in-one something you're adamant about having?

Eleaf iStick Pico Kit is < $40. The eVic AIO is < $50. The Plato is also an all-in-one, like the eVic AIO and Nebox, < $50. It gets good reports from what I've seen, but have never used one. There are also a lot of kits like the eGo AIO D22 that are < $20, but don't have the battery power to last all day.

Ultimately, you're going to have to find your own personal path, what works for you personally. Unfortunately, that means bit of experimenting because what works for me, him, her, them, may not work for you. And that does take some investment (still cheaper than cigs, usually). I'm almost 4 years in and still trying things like the Nebox. It's hit or miss with new variations with all-in-ones whereas the same tank or rda or rdta should perform simlarly on similarly functioning devices. Meaning you can expect similar performance with a Topbox on a KBox Mini, VT75 Nano, RX200S, etc. I like all-in-ones too, for the compact convenience, but when I invest in one I plan on the potential for it being something I could wind up not using.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
too much pg gives me mud butt.
as for the gagging, it happens to me sometimes. not so much the gagging but the cough. its almost as if i sent the plumes down the wrong pipe and my guts rebelled on me.

You must have been the one who said that, over at Butthole Central, when I was talking about how much PG I use -- for which I thank you, as it helped me figure out what was going on, after I'd been using 87% Pg for a week and started having that problem -- backed off to 84%, and it finally quit, so I can keep it at my usual 85%.

Andria

JustYourAverageVapeGuy

Member For 3 Years
How cheap do you want to go? Is all-in-one something you're adamant about having?

Eleaf iStick Pico Kit is < $40. The eVic AIO is < $50. The Plato is also an all-in-one, like the eVic AIO and Nebox, < $50. It gets good reports from what I've seen, but have never used one. There are also a lot of kits like the eGo AIO D22 that are < $20, but don't have the battery power to last all day.

Ultimately, you're going to have to find your own personal path, what works for you personally. Unfortunately, that means bit of experimenting because what works for me, him, her, them, may not work for you. And that does take some investment (still cheaper than cigs, usually). I'm almost 4 years in and still trying things like the Nebox. It's hit or miss with new variations with all-in-ones whereas the same tank or rda or rdta should perform simlarly on similarly functioning devices. Meaning you can expect similar performance with a Topbox on a KBox Mini, VT75 Nano, RX200S, etc. I like all-in-ones too, for the compact convenience, but when I invest in one I plan on the potential for it being something I could wind up not using.

All-in-one isn't at all a deal breaker. I'd like to stay away from building atomizers, though (I tried it and I'm REALLY bad at it :p) so anything in which I can use a pre-built atomizer is a must. Also, battery life isn't too important; my college just put in a rule banning them from being used in non-smoking areas, so I'll mainly be using it in my apartment.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I just saw the eVic AIO at vapenw.com for $40 and the iStick Pico for $30.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
lol yes i share my bowel movement situations everywhere i go in hopes of aiding others in pooping well.

The sad thing is that that particular biological function is involved in ANY smoking cessation adventure. :D

Andria

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Another thing you may want to have... totally unrelated to types of liquid and such, is to have something with a smaller driptip. Like something vase shaped. My fiance can't handle my wide bore DTs because they make him gag... just something to think about. :)

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
My Nebox doesn't leak either- I fill half way and leave on its side overnight, no leaking! I use the SSOCC .5Ω coils too! I don't have any gagging issues and use a 60vg/40pg blend at 3nic at 25w- 30watts. Like others suggested, maybe a tighter,smaller bore drip tip, not the wide bore tip that is on there now might help? I like the air flow on mine- everybody has different likes and dislikes, just keep trying different things, maybe not using max vg and changing the drip tip will help.
P.s. I love my Nebox so glad I made the purchase, works great for me, I did not have a good experience with the Joyetech eGrip OLED, mine died after 4 months and would have on and off leaking issues, no matter what I did, lay on its side or upside down- the Nebox has been so much better for me.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ecig.com has the ipv d3, nice little single battery mod, 80 watts, for $28.

For a cheap basic all in one, the Joyetech AIO is not bad, and can do mouth to lung with the 0.6 coils. If you get a Nautilus, i would suggest the Mini not full size. Fewer reports of issues like tank not wanting to come apart. Others like the Eleaf GS.

I had issues with Kanger making me cough. Not sure if tank or flavor.

Have you tried coils with temp control? I am not well versed in it, but the idea is to control the heat, adjusting for a more comfortable experience.

marco67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With all the 'adjustments' on todays mods, i can't see a mod being at fault.
Over flavored juice, vg/pg, & drip tip bores are fertile areas of investigation.
One mans vape nirvana is anothers Gag..

If your looking for something cheap but really good I'd say go for the boulder pens it's a pod system I started with it and it was amazing!! I now have the tarot mini mod with an aspire cleito tank and it's AMAZING!! The boulder pens are $15 and the pods are 2 for $8 and I paid $60 for my tarot mini and $30 for my cleito tank

Also I have the target mini and I used my cleito tank on it and it was amazing my problem was the wattage only goes to 40 but on the tarot mini the wattage goes to 80.

randallpiz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Because of the cloud chuckers, you learned vaping "backwards", IMO.
Research mouth to lung vaping, everyone goes to or back to, MTL vaping.

VU Sponsors