Become a Patron!

Vaping in public.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So I got to thinking again about the bad rap we seem to get from all the cloud chasers and d bags that like to just seem to wanna vape to be cool & just are real visual and sometimes.arrogant with how they vape for lack of a better word. I'm not against cloud chasing, but don't be an ass about it. Went looking on YouTube randomly for some of rips reviews, just to see what he may have to say, I was bored. Anyway, this came up. Totally gotta give him a touch of class for this video, this is pretty much my practices as well. Something I think all vapers should watch just to see that even vapers can have a "reaction" to it and some people may actually react to certain chemicals in e liqud. Just gotta give Mr trippers props for this one.
Watch "Vaping E-Cigs In Public?" on YouTube
Vaping E-Cigs In Public?:

Any thoughts?

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm with him. I think as a community we all want non-vapers to understand that our hobby is a safe alternative to smoking and that there is little to no risk from second hand inhalation. BUT if the only impression of vaping someone has is some cloud chaser sitting in a coffee shop blowing vapor all over people they're probably not going to care and are going to have a negative opinion right off the bat.

I always try to be respectful of other people when I'm vaping in public myself. I don't vape in stores or restaurants (unless I have asked for permission/it's clearly vape friendly) and definitely never vape on public transportation. I'll vape while waiting for the bus though, I try to stand a little ways away from people and blow away from people and so far no one has given me any grief.

rjmara

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I totally agree with all the points Rip covered in the vid,and I try to be courteous to others when I'm out in public.
Even when I was smoking, if I was in the smoking section of a restaurant,I wouldn't smoke if other tables around me were eating their food.
Like Rip mentioned,I don't like to draw attention to myself, let alone negative attention.I like to chase clouds and fog a room,but I do it at home
or the local Shop.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
On the street there is a ton of breeze normally I try to not fog out the drone behind me when strolling along.
Mainly vape in car and home I get tired of the retards asking if it is daub.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I get the weird people occasionally after work if we're out just talking in the parking lot telling me how it's killing me. At least I don't get the damn dildo jokes anymore since I switched from spinners to an istick. All in good fun jokes tho, most of my coworkers are awesome, just crazy like me, but in our line of work u gotta be nucking futs so u don't kill our little inmate children.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I just am not able to blow wispy plumes on my rigs. So I generally do not vape indoors aside from my home and vape shops. I am considering getting a Nauti Mini for the Zero so I can be more "Vape Considerate" in other establishments.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahhh yeah those stupid teenagers blowing clouds irresponsibly???
Yup I've seen them boys!
/girls!

Last edited:

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've seen my share of douchebags blowing clouds in malls, Costco, etc.. but also an equal amount of idiots with ego batteries vaping in places such as restaurants, office hallways, and yes, in an airplane. Bottom line, please don't vape where you wouldn't have normally smoked in the first place, or where smoking was or is prohibited.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I would not patronise a restaurant that has staff vaping in the dining room.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I tried my best to be a considerate smoker. The cigarette is now a vaporizer, but nothing else has really changed regarding my behavior.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I think that being respectful to others is the key.

Keep the clouds in your home, car, vape shops and vape meets.

Turn it down in public.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Playing Devil's Advocate here...

I agree that vaping in public should utilize some common courtesy and discretion, but what would you say to someone who doesn't share the same view? A cloud chaser is perfectly within their rights to do as they please.

Let's say for instance that you were in a restaurant that did not prohibit vaping. A few tables over is a fellow vaper who is puffing away and offending patrons at another table. Some words are exchanged. Would you intervene? Would you side with the vaper?

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I agree that vaping in public should utilize some common courtesy and discretion, but what would you say to someone who doesn't share the same view? A cloud chaser is perfectly within their rights to do as they please.

Let's say for instance that you were in a restaurant that did not prohibit vaping. A few tables over is a fellow vaper who is puffing away and offending patrons at another table. Some words are exchanged. Would you intervene? Would you side with the vaper?
Playing lawyer ball huh? Ignoring common sense and courtesy usually results in either the restaraunt changing their policy or the law makers changing the policy for them. I'm not going any further down the 'what if' road than that.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Sorry if some asshole was clouding my chow with their vape from their sewer hole.. no I would have thanked them for being an asshole.. and sent them the bill for the food I am not going to eat.

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I look at my vaping just like smoking in a sense. I do build low ohm builds that put out some pretty good clouds not to try to be cool, but in my opinion it's just the most effective way for me to get the flavor and throat hit I'm looking for. While I might be putting out a good amount of vapor, I never blow clouds inside buildings or in a large group of people. I respect that some people may just not feel comfortable having all that in their personal space even though it's not cigarette smoke. I also respect t the fact that while my juice smells lovely and sweet to me, it may not be so pleasant to other people. (My girlfriend for example can't STAND the sweet smelling liquids, they make her nauseous, so I don't blow clouds around her either.) I even take public transportation to and from work everyday, and I still walk away from the people at the stop to take a vape. 100% with RiP on this. It's the lack of respect given that's giving vaping a bad name.

"E-Cigarette pessimists are stuck on the idea that anything that looks like smoking is bad. They're so blinded by this ideology that they are not able to see e-cigarettes objectively." -Dr. Michael Siegel

Last edited:

407Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I fully agree with Rip on this. He was one of the first vapers I found on the Internet.
I'm like most of you, I am young (almost 22) and I love you going down to the local watering hole or downtown or out to UCF for drinks with friends; so being young and was a smoker for 4 1/2 years I still crave nicotine and smoking when I drink. Thankfully Orlando is a very progressive city and most bars allow vaping after 10pm or if they don't serve food. Even when they do allow it I do my best not to blow huge clouds all over the place. I either blow them straight up or down depending on the place. If I'm downtown at a bar or club or outside I will just shoot clouds everywhere cause no one cares. If someone asked me to stop though I would gladly respect their request. He's right in saying we should treat it like that, we should be the bigger people and respect others wishes because that's how we get a good name out there for vaping.
Now on a more personal note, I have a lot of friends that vape and ones that smoke, we don't force our ways on the smokers, but we do what we can to try to push them in the right way. I work in a warehouse and most of the guys are smokers. A few of them tried vaping to quit but gave up. Once I started there and they saw what vaping has become and what it did for me with proper guidance, a lot of them want to try quiting again.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It seems in my experience non vapers and even smokers view it as taboo, I live in bfe & so many people are critical of vaping.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I approach the situation with common sense. I vape in public, but don't blow massive clouds in confined areas, nor in restaurants. When I used to smoke cigars, I wouldn't smoke up a small room, nor in places like malls and theaters.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

No. With rights comes responsibility and decorum. It is not against the law, or restaurant policy for me to blow loud ass in public....but should I just walk up and fart next to you? It IS my right after all.

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Respect.
If you give it, you get it.

I vape everywhere- at work, the doctor's office, in the lobby at church even in restaurants but I'm respectful.
The one thing I DO NOT DO, it's act like I'm doing something WRONG.
We will be perceived as we behave. If I am sneaking and furtive and try to hide what I'm doing, people will view it as something wrong.
My wife and I went out to eat Tuesday night and I sat my mod right on the table in plain sight. When I vaped, I held it in a few seconds longer and exhaled straight down. People saw me but I didn't get any disapproving stares. The waitress brought our food and asked what smelled so good (DIY Samoan cookie) so I picked up my mod and blew a small cloud. Her only comment was, 'Cool'.
A few minutes later, the manager came over and asked where I buy my gear because he wants to get his wife one for her birthday (she's developing COPD and he wants her to quit). I wrote down some websites and gave him my number so he could reach me if he had any questions.
Dinner was free- and this wasn't a mom-and-pop diner, but a national chain.
Point is- we are all ambassadors for the vaping community when we are in public. Vape openly. Vape respectfully and make a good impression.

Lil T Flex

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Respect.
If you give it, you get it.

I vape everywhere- at work, the doctor's office, in the lobby at church even in restaurants but I'm respectful.
The one thing I DO NOT DO, it's act like I'm doing something WRONG.
We will be perceived as we behave. If I am sneaking and furtive and try to hide what I'm doing, people will view it as something wrong.
My wife and I went out to eat Tuesday night and I sat my mod right on the table in plain sight. When I vaped, I held it in a few seconds longer and exhaled straight down. People saw me but I didn't get any disapproving stares. The waitress brought our food and asked what smelled so good (DIY Samoan cookie) so I picked up my mod and blew a small cloud. Her only comment was, 'Cool'.
A few minutes later, the manager came over and asked where I buy my gear because he wants to get his wife one for her birthday (she's developing COPD and he wants her to quit). I wrote down some websites and gave him my number so he could reach me if he had any questions.
Dinner was free- and this wasn't a mom-and-pop diner, but a national chain.
Point is- we are all ambassadors for the vaping community when we are in public. Vape openly. Vape respectfully and make a good impression.

See, I'm the same way. I vape everywhere. I guess except confined spaces like elevators or in hospitals, obviously. I don't think we should have to limit ourselves WHERE we vape. We should limit ourselves in HOW we vape. I crank my wattage down to 60 when I'm in a public establishment. And I exhale down. If it starts to get a little foggy, I'll take a break for a bit. And if someone politely asks me to stop, I do. Granted, I am young and I do catch myself showing off every once in a while, but I have yet to be confronted about my public vaping

creeperfan5236

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
While I do vape only at home, at a friends house, or at a vape shop. I don't necessarily vape in Walmart for example. I don't think it's polite. Plus like the video said, what if a customer has an allergic reaction to the vapor? Then I'm fucked.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
No. With rights comes responsibility and decorum. It is not against the law, or restaurant policy for me to blow loud ass in public....but should I just walk up and fart next to you? It IS my right after all.
So if I bust a big one in your face I'm outta line? I'm confused, that's how my wife and I talk in bed lol. Unfortunately I get really uncontrollable gas at times, busted some loud ones in public a few times when I just couldn't help it, felt awful. Now if I'm walking through the store and feel em coming on I try to find an empty aisle and do what I gotta do. In the car with my wife however is game on, we're just like that.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have recently fucked with someone play little fairy choo choo in a grocery store.. dick was walking around just blowing his version of clouds in people's faces.
Challenge accepted!
Lets say he was scered, got fogged out and put his puny little pen away.

VU Sponsors