Become a Patron!

Vaping and nerve pain.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sooo... Nerve damage/pain. Oh well. Smoked off and on. Like smoking... HATE tobacco. Started up again, said I was going to quit, switched to vaping. I like vaping, and it's not tobacco. I figure if nic vapor is it, I see no point in quitting.

So, the point? Smoking didn't do anything to my pain. Switch to vape didn't do anything. Last few months my shit has been on fire. Worried my "stuff" is getting worse. Nagging feeling it's the vape.

So... Circumstance has had me vaping less than normal lately. My stuff has calmed down. I got the new Boreas. Been hitting it hard today. Nic headache... My shit is on fire.

I really like vaping. But if that's what is aggravating my pain... Man, it's really been bothering me. I saw no reason to quit, but this is one.

What has your experience been?

CalBlackSheep

Member For 4 Years
Nic headache? Maybe your problem is vaping is too effective of a nicotine delivery system. What mg. Nic strength are you using? Try cutting down your nix levels in half (I.e. 12 to 6 or 6 to 3). For me, vaping is about slowly lowering my nic levels until I'm down to 0 and can then faze out the habit all together.

Nic IS bad for you! That's why these "tools"are used to help you get off of it. Yes it's waaayyyy better for you than smoking, but just like anything, it can still be abused.

Be safe. Hope you figure it out and stay away from the cigs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have peripheral neuropathy. Excruciating when not treated. I've not noticed it any worse at all since I quit smoking. No better, either. Nerve damage is nerve damage, but I'm not a Doc. I would get one's opinion, though.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Powerman just how many ML's and how much nicotine is in you e-Liquid? :anyone:

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm down to 3mg. And on the whole, I only average 6ml a day. The better the RTAs have got, I've had to lower. 5he new one I just hit too much today.

Ya, nerve pain is different for everyone. Some things make me think vaping doesn't matter, but some do. Like a light day is no different... Morning... But I've had several light days and now, bam.

Not that I think nic is good for you, or vaping artifical flavors... But I can accept it for what it is. But nerve pain is one reason stop. Only one real way to know for sure...

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have peripheral neuropathy. Excruciating when not treated. I've not noticed it any worse at all since I quit smoking. No better, either. Nerve damage is nerve datime I'm not a Doc. I would get one's opinion, though.
Yep, just had my yearly MRI. Doc next month. Last year they wanted to keep an eye on it. So puts suspicion in my head. But probably is what my gut is telling me. I like vaping. Kinda sucks. But I've given stuff up many times.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well you got a headache which you think was from nicotine which it could be was the fast absorption you could be getting. :fyi:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
But then a again maybe seek medical attention or...........

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sooo... Nerve damage/pain. Oh well. Smoked off and on. Like smoking... HATE tobacco. Started up again, said I was going to quit, switched to vaping. I like vaping, and it's not tobacco. I figure if nic vapor is it, I see no point in quitting.

So, the point? Smoking didn't do anything to my pain. Switch to vape didn't do anything. Last few months my shit has been on fire. Worried my "stuff" is getting worse. Nagging feeling it's the vape.

So... Circumstance has had me vaping less than normal lately. My stuff has calmed down. I got the new Boreas. Been hitting it hard today. Nic headache... My shit is on fire.

I really like vaping. But if that's what is aggravating my pain... Man, it's really been bothering me. I saw no reason to quit, but this is one.

I noticed using the Boreas I had to lower my nic in half...from 6 mg to 3....that RTA really puts out the vapor. May try lowering your nic to just about nothing and see how that works.

I do wish you the best of luck..!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yep, just had my yearly MRI. Doc next month. Last year they wanted to keep an eye on it. So puts suspicion in my head. But probably is what my gut is telling me. I like vaping. Kinda sucks. But I've given stuff up many times.
Well hopefully they can put your mind at ease. Nerve pain ain't no joke, for sure. Diabetic nerve pain, neuropathic pain, fibromyalgia.... just to name a few, and they are treatable. It can be eased and I don't have to take narcotics, thanfully. Nooooo go.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I vaped some Zero Nicotine today and surprised the shit out me when I realized it was Zero Nicotine. I got it from my Vape Shop guy who gave me some empty bottles. One had about 5 ML of Liquid State Sweet Leaf. I hardly could tell the difference.

Like I said shocked to find out it was NO Nicotine. :gaah::idea:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

I'm a t12/l1 complete spinal cord injury patient. I was hit by a car 5 years ago and as a result am a paraplegic. I live with chronic nerve pain in my left leg as a result of the severed spine.

The vape has had zero effect on nerve pain. What does is the weather. When the barametric pressure is changing, it is agonizing pain. I don't take the meds, because of the side effects. But, there are medications available. Dehydration can also cause an inflammation of neurological pain, and vaping can cause dehydration. Therefore, you may want to start increasing your liquid intake.
in either case, neurological pain caused from depletion of the myelin sheet that encases the nerve can be treated with medication as well.
I would suggest discussing this with a neurologist, to help ease the pain.

Last edited:

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks guys. I'm not sure it's the nic. As far as headaches... I don't get them, and looking into it, ya.. Nic headache is a thing. Lowering it stopped that.

It could be the vape, or what ever. Cause none of this bothered me when I picked up cigars again. Could be dehydration. I usually drink a lot of water. But in general, don't anymore. I also have excema this winter which I have never had.

I just have this feeling it's vaping. Although, I've dropped my nic. And after playing with new gear, I generally go back to usual amounts. Last batch I bought, averaged out is 6mls/day. Could be 4,could be 8 on any given day. But over a month it is 6. Which has been fairly consistent the whole time I've vapes.

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I remember a few years back I was watching a show and learned a neat fact that later I researched myself to verify it to be true. Our nerves actually need a small amount of nictoids to function. Granted I believe we can get the amount we need from the foods we eat but it does promote the nerves function. With that being said I had a carpal tunnel surgery back on 12/26/2007. The surgeon stitched the nerve in my hand (not sure but think he might have done it on purpose). 3 Surgeries later and I have nerve damage and was told there is nothing left to do but lump it. Has vaping made it hurt worse. Not that I have noticed but one of the things I have noticed is a mod in my right hand will feel like its super hot but put it in my left and its cool as a cucumber.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Nerve pain is different for everyone. Some have said nicotine helps theirs. I can't say it's nic or not or better or worse for that. Could be a compound in the juice. Who knows.

Meds don't help me. One makes it worse. One does nothing except turning me into a zombie. Blocks, RFA... Nothing. Is what it is. It's as good as it's going to get. Except lately it's been worse.

Nerve pain IS different from case to case. I have diabetie neuropathy and was suffering greatly until my doctor put me on neurontin, which by the way has no narcotic side effects on me. As far as smoking and nerve pain goes there have been multiple studies that showed people that smoked complained about more severe pain. I have been vaping for over a year and have noticed decreases in the severity of my diabetic complications.
I am now down to 0 mg and I have discovered my biggest addiction like a lot of vapers I know is the hand to mouth fixation along with cloud production.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I can relate to nerve pain. I have some neurological damage to my right side starting from the base of head down the whole left side to my left arm to left hand. ITs a problem from before switching to vaping.

Its something that seems to have no rhyme or reason for when it gets worse to the normal constant pain.

What you are describing could also be your body going thru the usual pains that most people go through when quitting cigarettes. Quitting cigarettes is much much more than nicotine withdrawals. There are so many ingredients in there including antihistamines and tons of others. This causes your body and nerves to go into shock... From insomnia, gastro problems, depression, headaches, your body's chemistry is in shock.

This of course affects everyone differently from light to very severe for some. Some last a few weeks to months. SInce you are going back and forth its most likely compounded.

Id definitely see a doctor. Since nicotine is a vaso constrictor it can affect the bodies ability to send blood to all the veins and arteries and capillaries that supply blood to the nervous system. Going back and forth smoking and not smoking is putting your body in added stress from healing over and over again. Just a thought.

Quitting caused me a lot of pain. It took a few months to settle down. Im kinda a mess so your experience may be different.

I hope you feel better and again, see a doctor

Vaping has caused me pain in 2 ways. First is muscle pain. Solution to that for me was mostly cutting out PG and going with Max VG as PG breaks down into lactic acid. I like the vapor from VG based liquids much better anyways. Other way came courtousy of me being a cloud chaser. I obtained a 40 Watt Italian squonker that forced me to build efficiently at lower power. As nostalgia, I built on my eleaf istick TC40W, which was my first mod ever and got it chucking. Decided to use as a daily driver. I was having severe wrist pain for weeks which suddenly got better. Turned out my heavy high power mods we're causing me repetitive stress pain, which this sure felt like but I never connected the dots. Now I use my small light mods with efficient builds for daily use and the pain stays away. I use the high powered beasts for the occasional showing off ;)

I started vaping 8 months ago. I was a pack a day smoker prior. I never had issues with vaping until about a month ago. Now I have Ankylosis Spondylitis and herniated discs and many operations for knees and hip. I all of a sudden lost a lot of weight which I felt was due to taking Methotrexate but have been off that for long enough now that that is not it. I get the feeling of a tremor in my sacrum area that drives me nuts I feel weak in my abdomen and have palpitations sometimes as well as cold feet and hands numbness in feet and hot flashes. Being a man the hot flashes are not my period lol. Anyway I tried not vaping this morning and didn't have issues. Then later I did and I am having my usual crappy day. Tomorrow I will go half the day without vaping and increase not using it to see. I want to try 100% VG but did I read that VG is more likely to be toxic than PG?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Too much nic.
Boreas runs thru a lot of juice.
the more juice vaped the more nic you get.

also some ingredients in most commercial ejuice causes me issues.
oral, throat and lung irritation. Quite severe and why I DIY and can only use a small percentage of the flavorings that I try.

In any case my point is that mainstream vaping is not for everyone.
If I can have these reactions from most commercial ejuice then why cannot others have different reactions to some ingredients in ejuice.

I started DIY within 1 month of starting vaping due to my issues with virtually all the ejuice I tried at the time. Had I not worked with DIY to solve my issues I would have gone back to smoking.
Nearly 3 years smoke free after a 40 yr 1.5 PAD smoking habit.

Last edited:

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I think your issues are more likely pg sensitivity. If it were me I'd lower nic to 1.5mg and go with max vg juice. Ideally max vg unflavored.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Neither PG nor VG is "toxic"... but individuals may have sensitivity issues with either one, so you have to figure out what PG/VG ratio best suits your own body.

Too much PG usually seems to cause irritation of the throat, mouth, sinuses, and might also cause tinnitus in some people (ringing in the ears). Too much VG typically causes excess mucus in the throat/chest, coughing that doesn't seem to produce anything or relieve the sensation of "something needs to be coughed up"..

Both of them can cause or worsen dehydration issues, in about equal measure; you might not notice it as much with VG due to its emollient effects, so it might actually be worse in that regard; PG causes dryness in the throat and mouth that you can definitely feel, so you drink more in response to it, which is exactly what you need to do with either. (non-alcoholic and non-caffeinated).

Too much nicotine generally causes digestive issues (nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea, hiccups, heartburn, etc), tremors, dizziness, headache, sweating. Even if you use a low level of nic in your ejuice, if you're using a device that makes a lot of vapor, or if you vape a LOT, you may be getting too much nicotine. Sensitivity to nicotine in vaping doesn't seem to have the slightest thing to do with your history as a smoker, though those who smoked a lot of high-strength cigarettes generally need more nicotine in their vape to feel comfortable. It's just different from smoking, because smoking provides so many other chemicals besides nicotine.

Andria

VU Sponsors