Become a Patron!

Vaping and Exercising

johnhdz21

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys I just wanted to see from other peoples opinion. I vape on a daily basis and when I go to the gym or go run, I feel like it affects me conditioning wise. Does it affect anyone else when you workout?

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If any non-smokers answer, I'll only guess and say that it won't help. When your body is working to get oxygen for the workout anything other than air will only get in the way.

For the smokers/ex-smokers that respond, I'll go out on a limb and say that every one of them will say it's a vast improvement over their old smoking habits.

2 or 3 years ago a story was going around about a guy that was to run one of the east coast marathons while vaping. Don't know how that all played out, but he apparently felt enough improvement over smoking to give it a shot.

Maybe either PG or VG causes a slight sensitivity in your respiratory system? Or a flavor you're using?

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do a lot of cycling and hiking... ...so pretty much exclusively cardio. I don't feel like it's holding me back, but I've been vaping for several years, so it's hard to say if it is and that's just normal for me. I was going heavy when I was smoking and that was really holding me back. I improved drastically over that first month before proceeding gradually to a comfortable plateau.

There is of course a point where ramping-up the effort just cuts into stamina with no real benefit, but that point is far beyond where I want to be. It might be that I'm plateauing because I don't want to go further. I'm at a point where I just maintain. If I start declining, then I'll have to change some things.

If I wanted to go past that point, I might try vaping significantly less and see if anything changes. Only one way to find out, yanno?

It's generally good practice to do a bunch of little things that may improve your performance if that's your goal - as long as the change isn't potentially harmful, then it's a good change to make. Sometimes it really IS just a combination of little things that make the difference. I call it lifestyle micro-management. Of course it takes more than few tweaks to hit goals, but it can't hurt to cut back on anything that doesn't benefit you. I think it's safe to say that vaping isn't doing you any good. Whether or not it's holding you back is harder to say, but still...

Honestly though, I think I'd be assessing my diet and workout routines/habits first. Maybe there's something you need to attack at a different angle. What makes you think it is vaping? Did you smoke before you vaped? Has vaping had a direct impact on your performance before? Or is this a more recent observation?

I will say that I DO feel it if I vape immediately before a ride. Sort of an immediate wall with my breathing and vigor. It passes after a few minutes. I don't experience this when I wait a half-hour after vaping to hop on my bike. When I'm hiking I tend not to vape at all because it is literally almost 100F outside and I don't need any help losing water lol. 2-3 puffs here and there doesn't seem to cause me any problems, though.

Last edited:
Hey guys I just wanted to see from other peoples opinion. I vape on a daily basis and when I go to the gym or go run, I feel like it affects me conditioning wise. Does it affect anyone else when you workout?

A couple of former college athletes here at Vapewear and can honestly say vaping does not have any monumental effect on your conditioning. You may want to examine other areas of your lifestyle such as sleep, nutrition, workout regimen. Maybe you feel that your conditioning is being effected because of overtraining? lack of recovery? Just like @robot zombie said, it truly is lifestyle micro-management.

VU Sponsors