Become a Patron!

Vaping 1.8ohm coil at higher wattage

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So I accidently turned the watts up on my Releaux mini with a zephrus v2 tank with a 1.8ohm coil on it. Well the flavor was very good and I liked it. But I noticed the mod capped it self off at 40 watts and 7.9 volts. Is this okay? The mod will not allow to be turned up higher with the 1.8 on it. Not that I want it to just checking things out. This I imagine is a safety pre setting. I do not know. Nothing about it in the owners guide. So is it safe for mecto vape this coil higher than my previous 10 watts? Say 20 watts? Will this hurt my mod? Main concern. Please comment or make recomendations. I like the higher wattage.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Can't say why the mod stopped at 40w. Maybe it IS the 1.8 coil? Someone will probably show up and clue us in on that, but ...
mainly...if you like the flavor at higher wattage, move to a different flavor chasing tank/coil that can handle more wattage. 1.8Ω @ 40w is too many watts and not built to take it.
I used to vape 1.8 @ 12w and knew more would burn out the coil.

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The mod capped itself for one reason.

The mod I am going to guess is a dual 18650?

also it's stacked (one cell goes in posi up the other cell posi down)

I am assuming this because at a 100% full charge an 18650 is at 4.2 volts.

2 cells = 8.4 volts fully charged

Your batteries are only allowing 7.9 volts to come out of the mod because it's all they have.

Am I close or am I totally nuts?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Well, Releaux Mini is 2100Mah built in w/ 80W max.

Zephyrus V1 and V2 OEM coils are interchangable if you can find them. The .5Ω 20-40w dual coil might be the way to go for flavor and cloud production with your limited 2100Mah run time. But I don't think it would be MTL like 1.8Ω
https://www.elementvape.com/ud-zephyrus-v2-sub-ohm-tc-tank

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, Releaux Mini is 2100Mah built in w/ 80W max.

Zephyrus V1 and V2 OEM coils are interchangable if you can find them. The .5Ω 20-40w dual coil might be the way to go for flavor and cloud production with your limited 2100Mah run time. But I don't think it would be MTL like 1.8Ω
https://www.elementvape.com/ud-zephyrus-v2-sub-ohm-tc-tank
Yeah the .3 coil is nice @ my perfered 60 watts for that coil. Rarely do I vape past 75 watts. Just using the 1.8 because I am out of coils for all my tanks and the 1.8 was still left in the factory box. Necessity you know. Now when my finances improve I will buy new coils for them all. Baby beast, Big Baby Beast, Prince, and the Zephrus ( like you mentioned if I can find them ) . Also rebuildable decks for all as well. I like all these tanks for different reasons. Also want to add a good RDTA to the family. But for now I am making due. Expecting pif blessings in the form of a couple coils and a Smok tank with rebuildable, but not arrived yet. I am a very blessed dude. Some members of VU have extended a loving hand in time of need. I have one RDA a Bambino. Tiny tiny deck. A difficult build at least for me but when I do get it right it is a flavor beast however my eyez suck and my hands shake. No matter. So can I crank it up on the 1.8 without damaging my mod? Below 20 wattz has very little flavor.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The mod capped itself for one reason.

The mod I am going to guess is a dual 18650?

also it's stacked (one cell goes in posi up the other cell posi down)

I am assuming this because at a 100% full charge an 18650 is at 4.2 volts.

2 cells = 8.4 volts fully charged

Your batteries are only allowing 7.9 volts to come out of the mod because it's all they have.

Am I close or am I totally nuts?
No, sorry good guess though. It is a 2100 mah on board battery. It just happen to cap itself off at those settings.

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All regulated mods will have two limitations: one is the amp limit, the other is the voltage limit.

When you turn up the wattage to a coil, what you are doing is turning up the voltage. At the point the mod will reach its maximum output voltage, it will probably stop increasing the wattage display. Some mods may show higher, but when fired they only deliver up to the maximum output regardless of how they are set. Find out the maximum output voltage of your mod.

Not your problem, but in the other direction. As you decrease coil resistance, you may reach the output amp limit before you reach your maximum power level. In this case you are being limited because your wattage setting will require more than the amp limit of your mod.

As far as what power a coil can take, it really depends on the mass/size your coil. Check steamengine.org to play with wire and coil sizes and their effect on heat in a coil.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
All regulated mods will have two limitations: one is the amp limit, the other is the voltage limit.

When you turn up the wattage to a coil, what you are doing is turning up the voltage. At the point the mod will reach its maximum output voltage, it will probably stop increasing the wattage display. Some mods may show higher, but when fired they only deliver up to the maximum output regardless of how they are set. Find out the maximum output voltage of your mod.

Not your problem, but in the other direction. As you decrease coil resistance, you may reach the output amp limit before you reach your maximum power level. In this case you are being limited because your wattage setting will require more than the amp limit of your mod.

As far as what power a coil can take, it really depends on the mass/size your coil. Check steamengine.org to play with wire and coil sizes and their effect on heat in a coil.
I am not worried about the coil I worry about the mod. This is the first time I have used it this way so the differences make me leary. Will it hurt the mod or will it just regulate it self? Please and thank you.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
It shouldn't hurt the mod, if the mod is letting you do it. It will however burn out your coil very quickly if you are vaping it at higher wattages than what is recommended for that coil.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It shouldn't hurt the mod, if the mod is letting you do it. It will however burn out your coil very quickly if you are vaping it at higher wattages than what is recommended for that coil.
Really no recomendations on the coil itself about wattage. No info online either for that specific coil. Other simular coil manufacturer say 13 watts. I figure 20 watts will not be too bad.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Really no recomendations on the coil itself about wattage. No info online either for that specific coil. Other simular coil manufacturer say 13 watts. I figure 20 watts will not be too bad.
The ones I have say 3.3-6 volts.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The ones I have say 3.3-6 volts.
So at 20 watts the Rx mini reads 6.63 voltz. Not too bad and a much better vape than 10 or even 15 watts. Sacrifice coil life for the better, more falimilar type of vape. What do you think? I should at least have a rebuildable deck for one of my Smok tanks here soon. If I can get by untill then I will be able to keep vaping. No dough for coils for at least a few weeks. Paying bills are propriety. Vape is a luxury, a habbit but... still a luxury.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Also this:

TLG5O1i.png

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
So at 20 watts the Rx mini reads 6.63 voltz. Not too bad and a much better vape than 10 or even 15 watts. Sacrifice coil life for the better, more falimilar type of vape. What do you think? I should at least have a rebuildable deck for one of my Smok tanks here soon. If I can get by untill then I will be able to keep vaping. No dough for coils for at least a few weeks. Paying bills are propriety. Vape is a luxury, a habbit but... still a luxury.
6.63 is still above the coils limits. But if the mod is letting you, and it tastes okay to you that is all that matters.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
6.63 is still above the coils limits. But if the mod is letting you, and it tastes okay to you that is all that matters.
Ding ding ding ding... We have a winner!!! That is the answer I was looking (hoping) for. Seriously though It will not hurt the mod, right? Right now it is the only one I have. I had to sell my Able to consolidate a debt. Thank you Country for your time and expertise.
Rick

VU Sponsors