Become a Patron!

Vapes leaking/ultimately break

I was using the Smok Alien 220w with baby beast tank a while back and the display started turning off, blinking etc to the point where the display would not show at all and i could only turn it on/off/use it through remembering how many clicks the fire bar needed. Eventually it was displaying battery % as incorrect, full charged batteries were showing as 0% on the display and the vape would not fire at all because of it.

I purchased the Innokin Proton as replacement and i woke up one morning to find that the display was very dimmed and it looked like liquid had actually leaked into the display overnight.I got a replacement and now I'm having the same problem with battery display. Battery A shows fully dead whereas B shows full charge.

Samsung 30Q 15 A 3000 mAh 18650 Battery

I have four of these batteries and charge them with the Nitecore NEW I2 charger, swapping them between low batteries. I changed the coil in my Proton last week and have had no problems but it has randomly started to give me issues tonight and upon removing the tank I see it has leaked a little underneath.

Battery A fluctuates between (I'd say) 30/80% while the coil is attached, without using it at all. I've removed the batteries and tried to clean out/see if there was any liquid interfering with the battery placement and there was minimal liquid, only enough to somewhat dampen the tissue I was using.

Am I doing something wrong with my tanks? I was using two liquids exclusively up until today and used a new one today which coincides with my issues.

Any Advice?

Last edited:

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Am I doing something wrong with my tanks?
It sounds like it. Do you make sure everything is put together tight before you use the tank? There are orings at places that are supposed to seal. I always check to see if they're in place before tightening everything.

I just had a thought. I had an old Cleito tank that would leak from tightening the coil too much. I'd always back it off a little bit to prevent that. I hope you get it figured out. I haven't had much tank leaking becuse I've been using RDAs a lot. But the ones I do use haven't leaked at all.

Maybe you should take the tank off every night before bed.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe the 510 pin is loose. May also be time to change the orings. I assume you're taking about the baby beast tank. But was thinking on the battery difference. What coils and what power are you running on the tank. Just thinking that even though it's a regulated mod if you were running high power low ohm with (2) 15amp batteries they may not be able to support that vape style. And one draining faster than the other. I'm not honestly sure though so don't quote me. But I've never bought less than a 20 amp battery. But I stay at lower ohms most times. @f1r3b1rd do you have any input in my theory? Hell anyone for that matter?

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Maybe the 510 pin is loose. May also be time to change the orings. I assume you're taking about the baby beast tank. But was thinking on the battery difference. What coils and what power are you running on the tank. Just thinking that even though it's a regulated mod if you were running high power low ohm with (2) 15amp batteries they may not be able to support that vape style. And one draining faster than the other. I'm not honestly sure though so don't quote me. But I've never bought less than a 20 amp battery. But I stay at lower ohms most times. @f1r3b1rd do you have any input in my theory? Hell anyone for that matter?
Those 30qs are tested to be between 18-20a by moooch but rated at 15a by samsung
8181DFA9-20FF-4D5B-B6A8-8E2589BF3EA8.jpeg 87556D17-A1BE-4495-B636-83984FCBA28B.jpeg

I prefer them in my regulated mods, but I don’t push them hard either.

Honestly it sounds to me like the op is having a menagre of possible points of failure.
It could be a dead cell (IE bad battery). - try new ones. If you’re pushing them hard, try the vtc5as or 25Rs
Could be a battery not making good contact- check your contacts are tight
Check your battery wraps and positive post of the cell
Could be the 510 of the coil not making good contact in the tank... try fulling the 510 of the coil out a few mm and reseating it.
Tank could be all manner of bad o rings. Check the rings on the coil, the glass, the chimney and the top cap.
- any bad o-ring can turn it into a titanic level of leakage.
Close the afc when you fill

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those 30qs are tested to be between 18-20a by moooch but rated at 15a by samsung
View attachment 134955

I prefer them in my regulated mods, but I don’t push them hard either.

Honestly it sounds to me like the op is having a menagre of possible points of failure.
It could be a dead cell (IE bad battery). - try new ones. If you’re pushing them hard, try the vtc5as or 25Rs
Could be a battery not making good contact- check your contacts are tight
Check your battery wraps and positive post of the cell
Could be the 510 of the coil not making good contact in the tank... try fulling the 510 of the coil out a few mm and reseating it.
Tank could be all manner of bad o rings. Check the rings on the coil, the glass, the chimney and the top cap.
- any bad o-ring can turn it into a titanic level of leakage.
Close the afc when you fill
You're the man

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Personally I would buy a new tank before investing in any more devices. Getting liquid in the board could be the cause of all your issues. You don't mention how old your batteries are, where you purchased them, or if you keep them married.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Little update; I swapped the tank from the Proton (Scion 2) to my Smok and the batteries are reading fine, there is no leakage and it fires without any problems.

Innokin Proton Scion 2 TC Vapour Kit, 235W Proton MOD e Cig and New 2ml Scion II Tank Vape Atomizer

This is what I bought from Amazon about 2 months ago. The batteries were also from Amazon and I bought them in October 2018.

Been using it between 50-70w depending on the liquid and I've only used coils that came with that kit.

I'm thinking liquid in the board actually may be the problem since the batteries weren't actually draining in slot A the display just said they were. Scion has been sat on the Smok all day and used here and there but no signs of anything going wrong.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You don't mention how old your batteries are, where you purchased them, or if you keep them married.

<joking> I would think it is a bit private, this issue of marriage. I know in some cultures it is frowned on to be so public with wedded bliss or troubles. </joking> (I know you get me, know others might not)

The last "tank" type I've used, let me see, ... well I cannot find it listed. It was a Smok T4D or TD4. They had a series of Evod styles that morphed into something like an RTA, they had the TDux 2, TDux 3, then the RTA like TDux 4 ... ah ha. I knew writing about it, I could find it again. :) Been a minute.

None of those Smok tanks ever leaked on me. I had to purposely be doing something wacky to get them to spill juice, even then, it sometimes "took all day" for them to empty their reservoirs. At one point I could re-build the coils for those. Meanwhile, a friend is coaxing me over from that other vaping forum. This friend is also whispering about Goons, mechanical mods, squonking. All things he knew I was taking a little interest into, because he took the time to see who was into what. :)

So he fills this pea brain with sugar plums of mech mods, rdas, squonking. He shows a video by someone I call Mr. Todd. I'm hooked. I go find the cheapest el cheapo "squonk mod kit". It was a mess. He chuckles at me, points out a few other choices. eventually, I'm dropping about $15 to $25 (yes for me at times that's expensive) and getting a Goon rda, then another ~ $40 for a Copper Vape kit, then another, a mod only, a mod only. Next I know I've been squonking a year or so on mechs, my friend went to the next level.

People keep on enjoying tanks. I left them from being fed up with no flavor, no real clouds, it was barely keeping me off cigarettes. Tanks keep improving, sub ohming becomes the new suggestion for newbies, sea churns, sky wanders, world turns. I keep on where I am. No clue any more about tanks other than I don't use them, or regulated mods. I might use one with a mosfet for short circuit/explosion protection but I rather full mech. If it's my time to blow up, no matter what precautions are there, I'll blow up.

Doesn't scare me too much. Kind of annoys me that I might not be around to plague the wife, but well I'd go fishing with my Pap. :)

VU Sponsors