KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hi Folks,

It’s going to be a mission to describe what’s going on with this RDA, but I’ll do my very best! Actually let’s give it a go now shall we ….how do you go about getting airflow to exit against both sides of the same coil, in particular dual coils with a central post clamp system?

Drill a hole through the centre of the post! By taking a shortcut you connect point A and B simultaneously.

26ABE929-746A-4ACD-ABF3-B5CA9102EBE3.jpeg 3B8B6F07-ADFA-4E03-8189-673CBD960AE3.jpeg

This is exactly what wormholes are about! well sort of ….there be math ‘n’ stuff, also descriptions like “transcendental bijection of the space-time continuum”

Physics eh, it’s difficult to deny it’s not filled with self-indulgence!…..but then the same could be said about reviewing…. Whoa there; hold your horses! …..well come on, they get to theorise and critique, reviewers get to critique and make stuff up …..Same difference …..Maybe I missed my calling!

I therefore theorise what lies beyond our known universe is......a snow globe ….That’s right folks! …I know I’m right by the way (Earthworm Jim taught me that in “The Secret of the Universe!”) But enough with the self-indulgence! I do need to start reviewing this bloody thing at some point ….so let’s get on with it shall we.

As always I don’t like to make recommendations in my reviews. Instead I’ll present you with my findings to help bolster your research should you be interested in the product.

My Measurements
  • Height: 35.8mm
  • Diameter: 24.2mm
  • Drip Tip: Height: 12mm (visible 7mm), Diameter: 17mm, Bore: Tapered 14mm down to 10mm
  • Thread Length: 4.7mm
  • Juice well Depth: 11.3mm (usable 4mm)
  • Deck inside Diameter: 19.7mm
  • Top Chamber Dimensions: 16.4mm x 3.5mm
  • Post Build Space: 12.5mm
  • Top Airflow: Nine 1.2mm holes for single coil, Two lots of 1.8 x 2.8mm holes for dual coil
  • Lower Airflow: Three for single coil or Six for dual coil inlets (top and bottom 1.8 x 2.8mm and centre 1.8 x 4.5mm)
  • Materials used: SS304, PMMA (drip tip and top cap), Gold Plating
Extras Included: 510 drip tip adaptor, post airflow cover (for single coil), bottom feeding pin, O-rings, tool, cleaning cloth, cotton, posts screws and spare screw for airflow cover, two braided Clapton’s NI80

Available Colours: Silver, Black, Gold

Product Info: http://www.vapefly.net/vapefly-wormhole-rda/

Build Quality & Impressions

Ever heard of the Thuglyfe RDA?. I tell you what these two RDA’s were released around the same time (Vapefly launched the Wormhole slightly after). I can’t see how they weren’t in development at the same time, yet they share so many similarities …spooky eh?

Sadly I haven’t got the Thuglyfe RDA to compare, I nearly snagged it, but one of the things I was concerned about, looking at the pics and talking to friends, was the metal top cap getting hot. Thankfully that’s something the Wormhole RDA keeps to a minimum with the PMMA design, “except” for the metal beauty ring/810 drip tip holder. It can be removed (I forgot to take it out in the pic below), however you’ll be chuffing on this tail pipe style because it’s holding the drip tip in place which is a real shame.

7B782D8B-D95D-4F95-B384-B8C847377386.jpeg

This leads me to focus on the drip tip itself. Personally its bore is a bit too wide for my liking, and it’s a little short at just 7mm because that metal ring gets hot with the coils being close to the top.

AA367407-959E-42E2-9633-5881EDF85222.jpeg

Running a 510 drip tip is a perfectly viable option, in fact I’d go as far as saying you can get some serious flavour doing so!

D55670C3-9963-4BBA-9D43-C14DD6F2EA4A.jpeg

This is the part of the review I really need to start talking about the airflow because it plays a massive role as to how you vape it…..ok here we go, please bear with me.

E0D84AE5-C9FE-4AEC-9E54-95231FB31B7F.jpeg

The components I’ll be talking about are:

The Airflow Cap (Top Cap to me) – twisting this top cap controls the side airflow onto the coil. Depending on whether you are in a single or dual coil configuration (using the housing piece below) gets you access to either the 9 small holes for single coil, or two sets of 5 larger holes for dual coil (see my measurements further up). At first sight you think to yourself; “why is it I can only access some of the holes at any one time?” …..Take it from me; this is an airy tank with everything wide open, so you won’t need all of them. More importantly, and this is the genius part of it…As you adjust the housing underneath these airflow holes naturally move away from centre of the coil …so no matter which direction you adjust the section below you can keep the side airflow centre on the coil by adjusting the top cap…love attention to detail like this, top marks…Vapefly!

97F4384E-EE4F-4062-BEAE-312A811084EB.jpeg 930C9313-D225-4DB3-B474-77B013300CBB.jpeg

Airflow System (Housing) – Twisting this section moves the side airflow holes as described above, however its main function is twofold: Firstly it controls the amount of airflow through the centre of the post, secondly it rotates to allow you the select between single and dual coil configuration. Again at first you think to yourself “why have I got two airflow cut outs for single coil and only one for dual coil, especially as the airflow only travels through the post from one side?”…..they have thought about this as well: it’s so it doesn’t matter which side of the deck you plonk the single coil.

Airflow Set (C Clamp)

A9E7C9C7-DFD4-47F1-895C-32FE31757E41.jpeg

This is the last piece in the jigsaw puzzle…you can either completely remove it leaving just the screw in place (although doing so exposes you to easier leaking), Put on the dual coil clamp, or just the single coil clamp. This airflow section is set at an upward angle of 45”ish” degrees. I’ll be positioning my coils on this RDA as if the airflow is going through the coil diagonally.

235D239F-39B3-405D-A86E-D996E9770585.jpeg

While “through post airflow” isn’t a new concept, the way Vapefly have executed this lot is pretty good, you can tell they have put some thought into it. They could have just taken the easy route by stamp pressing a deck into an already existing base (like some out there do) but nope we got some fresh ideas going on here….in fact, so far between the Vapefly Horus and Galaxies I’ve reviewed recently they applied this same attention to airflow detail in all three of their products. I’m also happy how their QC is improving as we move along …they are definitely on the right path at the moment in my book, keep it up!

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Build Quality & Impressions continued ..

At this juncture I realise my review is a little arse about face….but these are the key are areas I wanted to cover first, now for the rest of it…

Packaging wise you get plenty of spares but notably a metal 510 drip tip adaptor matching the beauty ring nicely, a nice set of braided fused clapton coils to get you started (they are Nichrome though, for those out there allergic to Nickel). Quite why they always provide a cleaning cloth in the box with all their products I’m not sure? I’d rather have an extra piece of Muji cotton or something.

19FC50F1-FED5-4BD0-99A8-BFBCBAE1D6E9.jpeg
B0EF5AD5-7E88-40B4-8018-150A990B7D57.jpeg

Fit and finish is very good all around, except for the two bottom O-rings, which are way too tight for my liking. Thankfully you rarely have to remove the housing because dripping or squonking makes little difference with the huge juice well.

FB5E10CB-2BDA-4C50-A9D5-EE397046AC91.jpeg 88A3E225-5647-4993-9FCE-6EE4E7091679.jpeg

I thought at first centre dripping was going to be problematic but I’ve just been dumping juice in! Even in a single coil configuration as long as you don’t fill past the point below in the picture; you are golden! …in fact to me this is the ideal dripper tank, I’m vaping this like a small capacity RTA between re-dripping. It’s one of the few RDA’s I own that I can properly just dump juice in (the Oumier VLS and Aeronaut V2 spring to mind as well).

A23F8CC9-F482-488C-9409-10919CCC7B61.jpeg

I’m quite the fan of frosted PMMA top caps...I know some out there don’t like plastic, you do need to be careful not to place coils too close to the plastic, but it just works on this RDA…The top cap sits on a single O-ring creating a seamless dome over the housing. I thought at first I was going to have similar issue as the Templar RDA (with its cracking plastic cap and what not) especially with the coils being so close to the top, but I’ve not seen problems so far, even with big chunky coils on board (of course ill report back if anything develops)

367EB024-6814-4D82-8DCA-68F332B4093A.jpeg
788CAD8C-335E-4681-8699-A97FF8C7D6D8.jpeg

The paint job is a blasted finish, this is the one area I’m not 100% sold on, only because you might have trouble getting a matching set up (especially the stainless steel variant)….it looks alright on the Aspire Speeder though …..<High Five!>. I personally like how Vapefly approaches their designs, in that they don’t tend to feature huge gaudy branding, it’s all very much in keeping with the name of the product.

424D923C-5463-4C5B-8D85-32F01F5478EA.jpeg

The chamber assembly sits entirely over the deck; flush with the base. I have noticed some juice/condensation/overspill working its way underneath especially when I’m chain vaping, so keep an eye on that.

The gold plated positive pin sits proud of the threads making this hybrid safe. Whist I’m on about the base I want to just cover off heat generated from this RDA. You don’t really notice it up top (other than the beauty ring thingy), but the bottom half of this RDA gets hot! I don’t mean just a little bit hot, it’s too hot to touch hot! Seriously Icarus himself would need to be careful standing near this thing!

I definitely feel they should have provided a thermal disc and made thread length slightly longer because it heats my mod up as well. Now this could well be because of how I like to vape (with a fairly restricted draw with framed staple coils on board) obviously the more you open it up the more airflow is getting around all the gubbins to cool it down, but they could definitely have done something in this area.

It’s not possible to completely strip down the deck since the negative post is actually a single integrated piece. You can remove the positive post if you want by pushing out the peek insulator separating the two posts, but what’s the point?

F038E9E8-298C-408E-9A22-2C5A3BE38A35.jpeg

The only thing I’ve been scratching my head over is the positive pin …take a look at my picture below; It’s sitting proud …actually it looks like it almost touching the negative post!…I’ve tried both the normal and squonk pin and neither seem to have an issue with shorting, but that’s got to be sitting really damn close, so be careful buying aftermarket spares if you lose anything.

DF309371-22E5-4359-A440-2DE23EEC79F0.jpeg

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Build Flexibility and Ease of Use

You have a large build space to utilise here (12.5mm) allowing you to get some really wide coils in there. I personally like using 3mm Coils for this RDA as I feel it makes the most of the airflow coming from the side and below.

A987C46E-06AE-4D76-A024-C01632542C42.jpeg

Whilst you can run a single coil perfectly well, I find it really suits dual coils the most and is what I’ve stuck with.

49E7B11B-87C2-4C37-879E-6E9CB93D71DB.jpeg

Clamp systems aren’t the easiest type of deck to learn on, but the wormhole is very forgiving. Once you pre-cut the coil leads you have enough room to get “ten” 28g cores flat in each post slot. This means you don’t have to mess about stacking the leads on top of each other, in addition the clamps move up and down as you twist the post screws; one less thing to worry about especially whilst trying to hold two coils in place and secure everything down.

Coil position wise: it’s important not to pull them out too far as the housing starts to taper inward slightly, I keep them inside of the juice well like so:

057743D3-C651-4A52-81EF-299A3EC6BFEA.jpeg
45ADEB8D-06F2-4E26-90AE-CA3EC5C0ECB8.jpeg

Looking front on I try to place my coil so the bottom sits at the top of those two post holes you can see in the picture below:

9BB66E80-A494-4878-B045-40CEEB089A2A.jpeg

Wicking wise: once fed through the coil; I cut the cotton down to around the bottom black O-ring and then fold it under the coil. Using my tweezers. I poke is down as far as I can without disturbing the coil. This bit can be a little tricky as the coil is sitting fairly low by this point.

When running a single coil it made little difference only having wicking one side, as long as you are titling it towards where the coil is placed.

How’s it Vape?

It’s a cross between the Templar and VLS RDA – which is to say it has a lovely smooth draw, perhaps a tad louder than either of these but a similar flavour potential depending on what you build and how restricted you like the draw.

What I mean is you can choose to tighten everything up and flavour chase, even going as far as MTL if you really want to; using just centre post airflow, or go with the other extreme; full throttle with everything open for massive plumage. There are so many options when it comes to dialling in this RDA that’s it’s almost overwhelming, especially to try and describe every which way in here. So suffice to say it caters for both ends of the spectrum and nearly everything in between well.

As much as I think this thing is capable of top notch flavour production, the area I’m struggling with is the heat radiated from the base and beauty ring when chain vaping; mainly because I don’t like an airy vape. So if you like a semi restricted draw know that this is prevalent feature.

Whilst Squonking is perfectly fine, Dripping was by far my preferred method of choice for this RDA, and I rarely say that about any RDA! So that’s going down as a big pro in my book because I love being able to paint the coils properly when I vape.

Pros
  • Very nice flavour and cloud production
  • Dripper and some! Good at both squonking and dripping
  • Loads of airflow refinement
  • Easy wicking
  • Can take big builds
  • Even distribution of liquid across the deck when squonking
  • Comp cap and drip tip Stays cool when chain vaping
  • Spitting wasn’t problematic
  • Top cap O-ring offers nice turning resistance
  • Can run single or dual coil
  • Mounting was easy for a clamp system
  • Decent post screws
  • Matching metal 510 drip tip adaptor
  • Decent amount of spares
Cons
  • Paint job on the stainless steel: might be tricky to find a matching mod
  • Gets hot on the base and beauty ring (810 drip tip holder) when chain vaping
  • Would like to have seen longer threads and thermal disc included
  • Would have preferred a taller 810 drip tip so my lips don’t touch the “beauty ring”
  • Bottom two O-rings make it difficult to remove the housing
  • Condensation under the base after chain vaping
  • Not a huge fan of the silver paint job
  • What’s with the cleaning cloth Vapefly?…stick something else useful in the pack
Final Conclusion

As I was writing the last section of my review (how’s it vape) I’ve had this niggly feeling in the back of my head the whole time:

Do I prefer the Oumier VLS or Vapefly Wormhole ….they are really close in the way they vape and their flavour potential is similar, in addition I remember having a similar uneven weighting on my pros and cons for the VLS as well which is good…hmmm tough call on this one I think they are both great RDA’s

I find the heat dampening to be better on the VLS especially with how I like to vape, but then the VLS doesn’t have the range of airflow options this one does so different strokes for different folks…I think it’s fair to say.

Either way pretty decent job overall on this one Vapefly….I like that you guys are producing different products from the rest of the crowd, keep it up!

63C62F6C-1CBF-4996-8AA7-8DD77C3BF9C9.jpeg

Thanks for taking the time to read my review, I hope the information serves you well…. until next time KingPin!

Last edited:

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Great job covering all the go inbetweens kingpin. This looks like a tinkerer's dream come true with how versatile it is.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Great job covering all the go inbetweens kingpin. This looks like a tinkerer's dream come true with how versatile it is.

Thanks matey ...it’s pretty versatile for builders whilst you have huge mounts and big post space to work with you are somewhat limited by positioning as you need to keep coils inside the deck area or you’ll suffer shorting issues

I managed to squeeze in those 6 wrap framed staples ok though whilst being able to leave both legs flat without overlapping in the posts

They consisted of 2x28g frames with 6x0.1x0.4mm ribbon cores and 38g wrap (my favourite staple build)

Airflow take s a little bit of sodding about to get it just right but once you are all set up you don’t really need to re-adjust again because you can centre drip/squonk no problem ...unless of course you use a 510 drip tip then top cap does need to be removed each time to drip

VU Sponsors