Become a Patron!

Vapefly Galaxies MTL RDA Review by KingPin!

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hi Folks,

I received the Galaxies RDA directly from VapeFly for the once over. I will state for the record right up front, ordinarily I’m not a Mouth To Lung (MTL) vaper, in fact this is very much a trial run for me to see how I get on with it all. Whilst reviewing the Galaxies I’m also reviewing the VandyVape Berserker MTL RDA in parallel so will drop its review at the same time.

I don’t like to make recommendations in my reviews instead I’ll share my findings to bolster your research should you be interested in the product.

Manufacturer Specifications
  • Diameter: 22mm
  • Height 32mm
  • Airflow: 6 side holes (0.8mm, 1.2mm & 1.5mm)
  • Materials: SS304, PMMA,
  • Drip Tip: Delrin
  • Bottom Feeding or Dripping
Available Colours: Black, Stainless Steel, Gold, Rainbow,

Additional aftermarket cap colours: Clear Orange, Clear Yellow, Clear Blue

Product Information: http://www.vapefly.net/vapefly-galaxy-mtl-rda/

E0C99E40-8C01-48AC-832A-A089761A7C3E.jpeg

Build Quality and Impressions

You get everything needed to start you off including coils. They didn’t include any cotton, instead you get a cleaning cloth…Erm ok? It had quite the funky smell to it so that’ll be staying in the packet. Otherwise you get some spare O-rings, a 3 in one tool, an Allen key, spare grub screws (hex instead of flat top) but most importantly a bottom feeding pin which I’ll come onto later.

So let’s start at the top with the drip tip. If you pick up the black version you get a Delrin variant, it has a 4mm bore which leaves it wider than the Berserker MTL RDA. Whilst it’s very comfortable to use I feel they could have left the channel just a tad thinner which would help with the eventual throat hit.

Unfortunately my drip tip was pretty messed up underneath. I had to sand it back using 5000 grit before I felt comfortable to use it. Additionally the O-rings in place made it really difficult to remove, I ended up having to use a knife to pry it off, even when lubed it was tight.

C9F86971-F5EC-452A-88B0-7446366441C0.jpeg
4CE0BC8A-FB52-4028-BCAB-BB8EBAE05C8A.jpeg

The airflow ring (top chamber) is a single stainless steel piece which sits comfortably over the 2 O-Rings on the deck. Thankfully these O-rings offer really nice resistance and popping the chamber on and off is a breeze.

On top of the chamber sits a polished PMMA ring adding to the aesthetics. Its primary function however is for heat dampening which works very effectively (much like the ring found on the Geekvape Peerless RDA). Whilst it never needs to be removed I wanted to strip the RDA down for an initial cleaning and again the thick O-rings were stopping me from getting this piece off easily.

2189EA76-47AE-4C46-A354-B30FCEEA60D3.jpeg

Looking inside the top chamber; the finish was pretty good although I had two scorch marks where they placed the airflow holes. These marks should have been lost in the final machining process.

4C06F70E-23E8-4691-88DC-86FE9C415E80.jpeg

There is a shallow dome inside, I feel this whole top area could have been left with thicker walls and a smaller bell shape so it really focuses the vapour to the centre of the drip tip. As it stands this is what I’d expect to see on a dual coil set up.

There are two stop points inside the chamber which are used in conjunction will the milled out portions on the deck. You can start with the airflow closed, moving it to one, two or finally three holes open. Whilst the decks’ air intake hole is situated at the far right of the milled section the cap sits snugly against it, so I wasn’t losing any air pressure whilst inhaling on any setting.

Moving the to outside of the chamber; the smallest bottom hole is 0.8mm, middle 1.2 and finally the top is 1.5mm. I reckon they should have added at least one more in this range as there is room on the deck to do so.

03FC818A-A65D-4FDD-9200-C5A7A872CFA6.jpeg

I found when adjusting the airflow it would sometimes unscrew the RDA from the deck, I had a similar experience on the Berserker as well except on this one I can’t twist the housing right around because of the stop in place. I had to tighten it down pretty hard on the mod to stop it happening.

The machining quality was much the same on the deck as well, in that it was just ok. Lots of swirls stopping abruptly when you catch the light right.

F33DBB1B-FB72-4547-A563-EFBAA3378B75.jpeg

Each airflow channel is angled upwards at roughly a 30 degrees and as you can see below the two points meet just above where they have the cut out for the coil jig. I position my coil slightly higher than where VapeFly suggest with the deck cut outs. Considering the atomiser is a 22mm there is a rather wide gap in the middle of the posts at 6mm and I feel to make the most of this space and the shallow dome I’ll be running 3.5mm coils.

23D392F5-059F-4E66-95E5-5B1393386657.jpeg

In addition to the side airflow holes on the housing you can also further restrict the draw by adjusting a screw in each post. To be honest it’s all a bit of a faff because they are a little too lose to stay put. I just left them wide open and re-adjusted when I noticed they had slipped down.

1111EAB2-6E14-4D8F-BCFB-00007ACA5B34.jpeg

I put the galaxies next to the Berserker RDA, despite the size differences one thing I noticed is the threading length is short so watch out for mods with deep threading as the pin can only be adjusted marginally. Whilst I’m covering the positive pin, both standard and bottom feeding pins sit proud inside and outside the deck.

86B9E88F-0DCF-428A-94C5-F7FFA0159F01.jpeg

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Build Flexibility and Ease of Use

I mentioned earlier that the gap between the posts is 6mm, you also have 8mm length to play with for your coil build as well. This seems very large for a MTL to me, I have some single coil RDAs that are quite the cloud chuckers sharing these sorts of measurements. But it does mean you can build large coils, add wraps and get the resistance up.

I’ve been aiming for around the 0.7ohm mark using 3.5mm ID coils and I really like how the a single core Clapton performs on here, it’s a nice warm vape just how I like it.

CFBD368B-BDCB-41BC-95D8-6E9F9780338B.jpeg

Using a simple coil its does ok too, I just feel I was able to squeeze out a little extra flavour from a Clapton.

12599265-A90F-419B-AA5B-CC592EDAE804.jpeg 7E204F5C-DA93-4A85-AC03-D4615A0674BD.jpeg

They have machined little lips into the post clamp which helps keep your coil legs in place, although the lip on the negative post looks like it was added in haste and wasn’t well finished. Overall I didn’t have any issues wrenching down on my leads. The screws seem very similar to those found on the Oumier Wasp Nano. When mounting; I leave the coil jig in the centre of the coil using the deck cut out which frees up my hand to pull the lead tight before fastening.

CB745D60-CCD6-4338-B000-7422C6D736C6.jpeg B0A6077B-0100-47B5-BE8B-CE990D72BCF5.jpeg

The well is 6mm deep measuring from the lowest point. Whilst on paper this sounds less than the Berserker RDA the inside deck measures 16mm in diameter so I can squeeze more juice in between refills. Wicking is very easy, I just used a straight cut and then tuck the cotton into the corners

How’s it vape

If you notice so far in my review everything I’ve been pointing to is the noticeable lack of the RDA’s ability to condense vapour; shallow dome, wide posts, lose airflow adjustment screws, drip tip bore size. When you put all of these things together you really notice it feels a little gutless when vaping true MTL, so I stopped trying to make it work like that.

I preferred using this RDA with two air holes open aiming for a restricted DL draw around the 20W mark. Using a 3.5mm Clapton Coil the RDA suddenly woke up with a nice hit combined with suitable vapour production and flavour. To be honest I actually preferred vaping on it over the Berserker RDA even if the flavour lagged behind a little because it was just a little less restricted but had a smoother draw at similar settings.

Dripping is a chore because there is no easy access to the deck without removing the top and I end up having to re-set everything afterwards, so squonking really is the way to go with the Galaxies RDA.

5BFD337E-6480-4C55-AEE5-7B23B22C2184.jpeg

F6475283-A77E-4915-8C46-763A4D473039.jpeg

Pro’s
  • If you prefer a lose mouth to lung or tight direct lung it has decent flavour
  • Novel airflow system
  • Smooth draw
  • Decent juice well
  • Forgiving with larger diameter coils
  • Easy to mount coils and wick
  • When squonking juice is evenly distributed
  • Atomiser stays cool even with a 3.5mm clapton
Con’s
  • What’s with the cleaning cloth? Cotton would have been more useful
  • Machining could have been better
  • My drip tip was all messed up
  • The adjustable airflow screws are too lose
  • Will sometimes unscrew from the mod if I need to change airflow down a level
  • Not suited to dripping
Final Conclusion

As a restricted mouth to lung RDA I think the Galaxies RDA misses the mark, however when I stopped trying to use it like that and accepted it was more suited to a restricted direct lung draw using a larger coil I began to really enjoy vaping on it, probably more so than the Berserker in fact.

Don’t forget here as I stated in my intro I’m primarily a direct lung vaper and this was very much a trial run for me. Perhaps this is the way to transition over to the other side in terms of using something that’s a half-way house? I’m torn though because the Berserker provided the better MTL draw simulation of the two. At the end of the day I can only describe my experiences and how I like to vape and as it turns out there’s only so much restriction I enjoy and the Galaxies offered the draw I was happier with.

I will close out by saying considering this was a final retail product I feel they should have stepped up their quality control though perhaps this is the most important aspect to take into consideration

66A40175-AF89-4CFF-9696-1CE85F1A0458.jpeg E22A5DFF-9194-489D-83B7-1F862033BBED.jpeg

Thank you for taking the time to read my review, I hope the information in here serves you well….until next time KingPin!

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
So did you use the rave lights while reviewing the galaxies MTL? :p

No sadly I misplaced the strobes mate ...

However all was not lost ....it’s a tootle puffer and obviously I felt it necessary to get into the spirit in other ways :D

Toot Toot ....

ngYKYjT.gif

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
LMAO! Nice gif, that's great.

I seriously busted out laughing when I noticed that mod in one of the pics. Please tell me you're going to do a review on it. I'm giddy with anticipation! :bliss:

Thanks for the review of the Galaxies and we'll done. :cheers:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
LoL ....i do have one in with lights at the moment but not that one :cry:

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Then the vape god's have smiled upon you. Be sure to give thanks! :p

I've done such a good job of erasing that mod from mind I cannot remember the name or the company. And I just watched Grimm's review of it earlier this week. Thank gawd for short term memory!

Vapefly Official

VU Challenge Sponsor
Unlisted Vendor
Hi, KingPin! Thank you very much for your review and your suggestion! I have feedback your suggestion in our production department, we will strictly inspect during the formal production process to produce better products。

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hiya Flora Miller... many thanks l really appreciate your response. It’s rare to see a company post openly on my review itself, and even rarer to acknowledge any critisism in public..... says a lot about a company and I very much welcome your comments and feedback.
:vino:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
You do good reviews!

This looks like a terrible clone

Thanks Meg much appreciated :vino:

As with anything like this, I would always advise people to gather info from multiple sources and use my review as one of many references undertaking research....It could just be a single unit and I can only review what’s in front of me.

VU Sponsors