Become a Patron!

Vape device for my Mum (USA=Mom :P)

Sage013

Member For 1 Year
Hi everyone, I come seeking knowledge again from the collective hive known as VapingUnderground!

Theatrics aside, I'm trying to get my 83 year old Mum to take up vaping. She's been smoking all her life (god knows how she's made it to 83!. :) ) and I need to find the simplest, easiest and techno-phobic friendly of vaping devices for her. :D

It needs to be MTL, very easy to replace coils and fill tank, replaceable batteries if possible and not to big in size (she's shrunk over the years so some quad box would be like trying to drink out of a 5 gallon barrel to her. :) )

I'm in the UK so it would be preferable if I can buy it here rather than USA or China, but not essential.

So, what recommendations / suggestion does the collective hive have?

Many, many thanks for any help you can give. :cheers:

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It can't be anymore complicated than a TV remote - and I mean batteries, not programming - for an elder, and that's a good choice - you just replace/recharge batteries and refill.

My only concern is the coilheads: I always suspect they find those too complicated - might want to get a 2nd tank and set it up so you visit regular to check and cycle coilheads.

Sage013

Member For 1 Year
Thank you.

Not sure about the battery cover. Might be a bit fiddly for her to open and not sure it looks that secure, but I'll put it on the short list. :)

Anyone else have any suggestions?

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you.

Not sure about the battery cover. Might be a bit fiddly for her to open and not sure it looks that secure, but I'll put it on the short list. :)

Anyone else have any suggestions?
The magnets keep it on pretty securely. A piece of tape stuck to the door with the tail out the side would make it easier to open.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I’d say something that will only fire when inhaled ...a pod system of some sort with an internal battery that can be charged via USB and refillable pod

can’t get much easier than that no accidentally leaving it unlocked with button pressed on the sofa, no menus or how hard you need to press the button, more importantly simulates how she probably draws now

...smoking for that long is going to be a tough nut to crack

There’s a few auto inhale pods on the market now id say look into how easy it is to get the top off to refill, what plug you’ll need to use the usb with ....then draw and flavour

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I’d say something that will only fire when inhaled ...a pod system of some sort with an internal battery that can be charged via USB and refillable pod

can’t get much easier than that no accidentally leaving it unlocked with button pressed on the sofa, no menus or how hard you need to press the button, more importantly simulates how she probably draws now

...smoking for that long is going to be a tough nut to crack

There’s a few auto inhale pods on the market now id say look into how easy it is to get the top off to refill, what plug you’ll need to use the usb with ....then draw and flavour
I was about to suggest the same thing. I have the aspire breeze 2 and it's rather simple to operate. Refillable, easy to replace coil heads ( comes with a .6 and a 1.0 ohm coils), charges via USB and has two lights that indicate the battery life left on the internal battery. Also gives a nice MTL draw. Pods aren't my thing but I really do like the breeze 2.

Sage013

Member For 1 Year
Many thanks for the further suggestions. :)

I've been through all your suggestions with my Mum and ... pod systems are out. She plain doesn't like the look of them and thinks some of them would be like sucking on a credit card. Doesn't like rectangular drip tips / mouth pieces either.

She also thinks having an integrated battery is a waste as you just throw the device away after 6-12 months and buy a new one. She was brought up in WWII and you never buy something to throw it away in a few months time! :rolleyes: (sometimes I think she never throws anything away. lol )

All excuses to try to avoid taking up vaping? ..... maybe :teehee:

She has told me in no uncertain terms she is quite capable of changing batteries and charging them up (referring to AA & AAA NiMH batteries), has no problem in pressing a button at the same time as inhaling, filling up a tank with juice, unscrewing a coil and screwing a new one in and cleaning the device when required (which she assured me she would obviously do a better job of it than me. lol).

I did mention about needing to prime coils and break them in.... the reponse .... "I'm not a child, if you show me what to do I'll be quite capable of doing it myself!"

So, having now been firmly put in my place, I think we're now looking for a refillable MTL pen device (not cartridges) with a replaceable battery or, a simple mod box with VW and a MTL tank (doesn't have to come with a tank). (some people are just so demanding! :facepalm: )

I have an Innoking Zenith tank being delivered in a few days so I'll see if I can get her to try that. I got it because it looks a super easy tank to use and maintain. The coil is plug n play and you can even change the coil without emptying the tank (allegedly).

So .... more help please. :D

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like this lady already.

Unfortunately, I know zip about the 'pen devices' post ego/twist. You could order a few twists and small BC/BCV clearomizers and let her try those, but if she likes it they end up a waste, (thankfully the prices are just dead low). I somehow think that something the size of a Nunchuk is likely not going to thrill her with it's mass.

I''ve a friend that loves her Pockex mod, and switched up to the SMOK Osub Baby - which meant she had to exchange it a few times with the B&M because of usual SMOK QC issues. I can recommend Eleaf as being better quality all around, so https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/shop-by-brand/eleaf.html is maybe a place to start. The Pico Baby looks small enough - we all know the Pico has proven-out to be a nice little mod as well. My Istick 100w & tc100w are now in my PIF bag - still working like the day I got them, if a bit battle-scarred.

I'm just not a sub-ohm-tank person, so I can't advise on those tanks - I threw my Pico-included Melo out way back. I do know that the small bc clearomizers were very tasty, and they are much cheaper today then when I first used them.

I think the consensus is also that Pioneer4YOU mods are also OK. Fasttech lists some good reviews.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My GF was against a MOD like I use and this is what she has been using for a while now. Only drawback is shipping from the UK but a very reputable company and when she got hers they had Hot Pink~!

series-s17-colours_1.jpg

https://www.jacvapour.com/s17-tf-kit

On another note. I told my buddies Dad a little older than your Mum, he should stop smoking and vape. He told me after 75 years smoking if he quits he will get sick~! A short time after he had some respiratory problems and was Hospitalized. He quit smoking Cold Freaking Turkey right then! I wasn't able to do that.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cold-turkey blows goats - had that when I had to get hip-replaced, (goddamned Mormon surgeons!).

Yeah, vaping can sub and plenty of folks did it - gradually, from ego and pucks forward.

This lady sounds so damned tough she'd FORCE the damned mod to work for her - and I applaud her.

Edit: Note - once you find a decent starter set, you really need to ask ALSO about these freaky Nic-Salts.. Someone here will know more, but you do NOT want her doing what I did and ween-off with cigs here and there, and a vape here and there.. Now, it doesn't matter to me - but had we the option before I'd have tapered between salts and base.

Sage013

Member For 1 Year
Wow, thank you for all your comments and kind words. :)

I'll run your suggestions past her and see what she thinks, then come back with an update.

As for the Nunchaku, I might just buy it for her and if she doesn't like it then I'll use it myself as a back up. ;)

Been meaning to find out more about nic salts, might just be worth a try. :)

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Wow, thank you for all your comments and kind words. :)

I'll run your suggestions past her and see what she thinks, then come back with an update.

As for the Nunchaku, I might just buy it for her and if she doesn't like it then I'll use it myself as a back up. ;)

Been meaning to find out more about nic salts, might just be worth a try. :)

Since she wants to change batteries, that's a good choice for a mod, but the tank will be a bit on the direct lung side. A compact single 18650 box like the Battlestar Mini would be good.

I'd get a Zenith tank to go with whichever mod, a couple batteries, a charger, coils, and nic salt juice in one of the lower strengths.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I couldn’t find nic salts in uk anyone seen somewhere selling them?

Sage013

Member For 1 Year
Update: I'm down to a short-list of 14! :eek:

I'm putting a spreadsheet together of pros & cons for each and then we'll see where I get. :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That is a really good pen device...with 50mg nic salts I cut my vaping by 3/4-ers.....:vino:

I would not want to cut my vaping for any reason but at 3MG when I can't I don't Jones but I have thought about mixing some High Test for just such an occasion. Just my opinion you must remember.

Ellamarie

Member For 1 Year
Joyetech Batpack. It's a tight MTL, uses largish, cheap coils, runs on AA cells, top fill.

I am having the same dilemma for my 87-year-old mom. The Batpack sounds PERFECT for her, but I do have one question I'm hoping you or someone else can answer --

Do you know if I can I get a different tank for the Batpack? My tank is hinged and slides open as opposed to having to unscrew it, and I think my mom needs something like that. I don't care if it's not matchy-matchy to the unit, I'm looking for easy. It doesn't have to be MTL, she's already used to the Sourin Drop she currently has, but she's broken two of them already (clumsy hands trying to put in the micro USB cord which is why I want a AA battery device for her). I'm not experienced enough with vaping, so I don't know anything about whether or not I can switch tanks.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am having the same dilemma for my 87-year-old mom. The Batpack sounds PERFECT for her, but I do have one question I'm hoping you or someone else can answer --

Do you know if I can I get a different tank for the Batpack? My tank is hinged and slides open as opposed to having to unscrew it, and I think my mom needs something like that. I don't care if it's not matchy-matchy to the unit, I'm looking for easy. It doesn't have to be MTL, she's already used to the Sourin Drop she currently has, but she's broken two of them already (clumsy hands trying to put in the micro USB cord which is why I want a AA battery device for her). I'm not experienced enough with vaping, so I don't know anything about whether or not I can switch tanks.
Although the mod uses a 510 connector, the magic with the Batpack is the coil... It's designed to operate at very low voltage. That would mean no other tank will work quite right.

If you can find one, I might suggest either the Esige Eiffel or Aspire Pegasus. Both of those charge with a dock. The Pegasus is a bit more reliable (physical contact in the dock and a heavy dock), while the Eiffel is more powerful and versatile (uses a Qi charger). A very new entry on the market is the Ovanty Vega. It also uses a dock with physical contacts, but the dock feels flimsy, AND it's a dual 18650... I never recommend charging dual cells internally.

If something smaller and simpler is desired, the Boulder Rock plugs directly into a USB port with no need for a cable. It's a Juul-like pod system with refillable pods.

Ellamarie

Member For 1 Year
Although the mod uses a 510 connector, the magic with the Batpack is the coil... It's designed to operate at very low voltage. That would mean no other tank will work quite right.

If you can find one, I might suggest either the Esige Eiffel or Aspire Pegasus. Both of those charge with a dock. The Pegasus is a bit more reliable (physical contact in the dock and a heavy dock), while the Eiffel is more powerful and versatile (uses a Qi charger). A very new entry on the market is the Ovanty Vega. It also uses a dock with physical contacts, but the dock feels flimsy, AND it's a dual 18650... I never recommend charging dual cells internally.

If something smaller and simpler is desired, the Boulder Rock plugs directly into a USB port with no need for a cable. It's a Juul-like pod system with refillable pods.

Again, thank you so much for your help - very valuable to me. So I'm liking the Aspire Pegasus (the charging dock is fantastic!), but now I have more questions. Again, I want to get her a tank that she won't have to unscrew to fill. The tank I own has a hinge on it, and it slides open easily for top filling. In one of the videos about the Pegasus, the guy was switching tanks, one with a nickel coil and one with a kanthal coil. I've done a little reading and found that nickel coils need temp mode, kanthal needs wattage mode. Please understand that I'm buying this for an 87-year-old woman... she won't be experimenting or fiddling with it, she doesn't need vapor clouds like a steam engine, she just needs something that works. My questions:
Can you tell me your experience of the difference between the two?
Does one produce better flavor?
What does higher temps and higher wattages actually do?
Lastly, can she keep her unit on the charging dock all night while she sleeps so that it will be ready to go during the day? Do the batteries over-charge if this is done?

With gratitude, Ella.

Grandpa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does this elderly lady want to vape? And/or is she reluctant to give up smoking after so many years? My personal thoughts and experiences on this are causing me to call into question what it is she wants. BTW, I quit smoking in favor of vaping at age 61. Only time will tell whether or not it extends my life or not. I may have smoked one too many but at least I enjoy vaping and I don't miss the cowboy killers at all at this point. At 83, a switch to vaping instead of cigarettes is not likely to improve her chances of living a great deal longer. Theoretically, it might, but I seriously doubt it. If she gets the hang of it, I believe it WILL improve the quality of her life, but that is also subjective.

When my father was dying of liver cancer, he used to sneak a smoke, because all the family wanted him to quit. The damage was already done and at that point it made no difference whether he was smoking or not. The last time he got out of bed in the hospital he had me take him out in the hall and had me light one up for him (back when a person could still smoke in a public building). My sisters threw a fit when they found out but it wasn't that last cigarette that killed him, it was the first 9,999,999 ones that did.

So, I would ask you who it is who wants her to make the switch? If it is her, I'm sure you will find an appropriate product and/or system. If it is you trying to get her to do something she doesn't really want to do, don't be surprised if everything you come up with does not meet with her approval. Giving up cigarettes at any age is an admirable endeavor, but don't try to force this on her unless it is what she wants.

Good luck.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Again, thank you so much for your help - very valuable to me. So I'm liking the Aspire Pegasus (the charging dock is fantastic!), but now I have more questions. Again, I want to get her a tank that she won't have to unscrew to fill. The tank I own has a hinge on it, and it slides open easily for top filling. In one of the videos about the Pegasus, the guy was switching tanks, one with a nickel coil and one with a kanthal coil. I've done a little reading and found that nickel coils need temp mode, kanthal needs wattage mode. Please understand that I'm buying this for an 87-year-old woman... she won't be experimenting or fiddling with it, she doesn't need vapor clouds like a steam engine, she just needs something that works. My questions:
Can you tell me your experience of the difference between the two?
Does one produce better flavor?
What does higher temps and higher wattages actually do?
Lastly, can she keep her unit on the charging dock all night while she sleeps so that it will be ready to go during the day? Do the batteries over-charge if this is done?

With gratitude, Ella.
Unfortunately, most tanks featuring the flip to fill method are subohm tanks. One exception is the Zenith from Innokin. Another is the Melo 2 from eLeaf. Technically, the Melo 2 is a subohm tank, but higher resistance/tighter airflow coils can be purchased.

As for the mod and dock... The mod's circuitry is supposed to prevent overcharging, so sure, leaving it on the charger for a while is not an issue. It's also a single battery mod, so balanced charging is not an issue. I never recommend leaving a device on charge and unattended.

Ellamarie

Member For 1 Year
Does this elderly lady want to vape? And/or is she reluctant to give up smoking after so many years? My personal thoughts and experiences on this are causing me to call into question what it is she wants. BTW, I quit smoking in favor of vaping at age 61. Only time will tell whether or not it extends my life or not. I may have smoked one too many but at least I enjoy vaping and I don't miss the cowboy killers at all at this point. At 83, a switch to vaping instead of cigarettes is not likely to improve her chances of living a great deal longer. Theoretically, it might, but I seriously doubt it. If she gets the hang of it, I believe it WILL improve the quality of her life, but that is also subjective.

When my father was dying of liver cancer, he used to sneak a smoke, because all the family wanted him to quit. The damage was already done and at that point it made no difference whether he was smoking or not. The last time he got out of bed in the hospital he had me take him out in the hall and had me light one up for him (back when a person could still smoke in a public building). My sisters threw a fit when they found out but it wasn't that last cigarette that killed him, it was the first 9,999,999 ones that did.

So, I would ask you who it is who wants her to make the switch? If it is her, I'm sure you will find an appropriate product and/or system. If it is you trying to get her to do something she doesn't really want to do, don't be surprised if everything you come up with does not meet with her approval. Giving up cigarettes at any age is an admirable endeavor, but don't try to force this on her unless it is what she wants.

Good luck.

Hi Grampa (feels funny calling a man Grampa who is only 3 years older than me and a year younger than my sis!) -- If my mom had a choice, she would likely rather smoke than vape, but she moved to an assisted living facility that doesn't allow smoking. So she's not giving up cigs for health reasons... she simply has no choice. She actually smoked very little anyway (like 3 cigs a day at most). She likes vaping. She likes it so much, she's ready for a step up from what she has been using (Sourin Drop).

There's no forcing this strong German woman in any case, nor would I ever attempt it. She has lost so much lately.... her husband, her home, her independence.... I wouldn't force or even suggest she give up a single thing more. I am doing my level best to make her remaining years as happy as possible. :)

Ellamarie

Member For 1 Year
Unfortunately, most tanks featuring the flip to fill method are subohm tanks. One exception is the Zenith from Innokin. Another is the Melo 2 from eLeaf. Technically, the Melo 2 is a subohm tank, but higher resistance/tighter airflow coils can be purchased.

As for the mod and dock... The mod's circuitry is supposed to prevent overcharging, so sure, leaving it on the charger for a while is not an issue. It's also a single battery mod, so balanced charging is not an issue. I never recommend leaving a device on charge and unattended.

Are you saying that a subohm tank can't be used with the Aspire Pegasus?

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you saying that a subohm tank can't be used with the Aspire Pegasus?
Of course they can. I'm afraid I foolishly assumed that a lower power MTL device was in order. It initially shipped with the Triton tank (which used Aspire Atlantis coils). The Melo 2 I suggested also uses Atlantis coils.

Ellamarie

Member For 1 Year
Of course they can. I'm afraid I foolishly assumed that a lower power MTL device was in order. It initially shipped with the Triton tank (which used Aspire Atlantis coils). The Melo 2 I suggested also uses Atlantis coils.

Wonderful, then. You have helped me make my decision -- the Aspire Pegasus, the charging dock, and a tank that has a flip (or slide) lid! The Pegasus can be purchased all by itself without the tank, so nothing will be wasted.

Many thanks!

Sage013

Member For 1 Year
Sorry for the delay in the update, been dealing with a mini personal crisis, nothing life threatening. :)

My mum decided on the Uwell Nunchaku. Yep, surprised the hell out of me as well. lol

However, she did choose it on the proviso that she could use my Innokin Zenith tank with it, at least to begin with.

I'm please to say she has now been using it for 6 weeks. OK, she's still sneaking an odd cig occasionally, but not every day. I'm hoping that in another few weeks, maybe a month, she'll quit the cigs 100%. Not perfect I know, but I think it's a damn good start.and better than 10 cigs a day. :)

The Zenith tank is working a charm on the Nunchaku and she is even fine changing the coil. She's had a few goes with the sub-ohm tank that comes with it but, she's still struggling a bit. I think it's more the action of directly inhaling than anything else. But hey, if she wants to stick to MTL then no probs with me. The sub-ohm tank is there as a back-up for both of us if needed.

The only real problem she's had is refilling the tank. Some of these juice bottles are so stiff she finds it difficult to squeeze the bottle to get the juice out. She can't get the tops off the bottles to use a dripper (pipette?), so I'm hoping to come across some juice in a more squeezable bottle sometime as I'm not always going to be around to help out.

If you have any suggestion on the refilling problem I'd be welcome to hear them. :)

Massive thank you to everyone that's helped. xD

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
OK, she's still sneaking an odd cig occasionally,

So if Vaping is 95% safer than smoking she is at 94%~!

They make plastic bottles that are very easy to squeeze and some of the "Gorilla" Bottles are very soft. I use glass bottles with droppers but that is 3-4 squeezes for a fill of a 3ML tank. Glad to hear the progress~! Cheers Man~! :vino:

Sage013

Member For 1 Year
But how would you get the juice in to a "Gorilla" bottle in the first place. Everything in the UK seems to be in these unicorn bottles so you can't get the top off to get a dropper in them to use or pour the juice in to something else.

I'm still relatively new to vaping myself and sometimes don't even know what to look for online to find an answer. :confused:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have Unicorn Bottles but you can pop the tops off them. Just use a knife to slip it in there or cut the top off if it is one piece which I highly doubt.

Sage013

Member For 1 Year
I have no probs getting the tops off, but my Mum just doesn't have the dexterity to do something like that any more.

I'm looking in to mixing my own e-liquid so, in the short term, if I can get it right, it would solve the problem hopefully. :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have no probs getting the tops off, but my Mum just doesn't have the dexterity to do something like that any more.
I'm looking in to mixing my own e-liquid so, in the short term, if I can get it right, it would solve the problem hopefully. :)

Well many vendors sell in the types of bottles you are looking for or you could fill them for Mom. The least you can do is fill her bottles and if she isn't using a ton of different flavors like me it should be a piece of cake for you~! Good Luck

VU Sponsors