Become a Patron!

Vape and air return

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Not sure what you mean by "air return"... please explain. I assume the person who vapes does this in a bedroom. Maybe they could crack a window open a bit and use a small exhaust fan? Of course, with cooler weather, this will waste some heat. Is it just the smell (most vapes actually smell good) or are you concerned with the nicotine content?
Myself, I vape outside (even when I lived in the mountains with snow) Give us more info...

Not sure what you mean by "air return"... please explain. I assume the person who vapes does this in a bedroom. Maybe they could crack a window open a bit and use a small exhaust fan? Of course, with cooler weather, this will waste some heat. Is it just the smell (most vapes actually smell good) or are you concerned with the nicotine content?
Myself, I vape outside (even when I lived in the mountains with snow) Give us more info...
Thank you. By air return I mean as part of the hvac system. I was planning on installing air returns in each bedroom to balance the central air when doors are closed but in one bedroom I have a vaper. He closes his door to vape and outside his room I don't smell it around the house.
That was my question if I install air return in that room if the smoke or smell even nicotine and chemicals will travel around the house through the vents.

Last edited:

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have thought about doing that (vents so even if the door is closed... but for different reasons)
So just don't add the air-return vent to that room. Have him slightly open the window and the positive air pressure should make it go outside (by then it should be dispersed enough)
Or... (here comes the bad joke) just tell him he can vape all he wants... just don't exhale (someone told me that years ago when I asked if I could smoke in the house) LOL

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That was my question if I install air return in that room if the smoke or smell even nicotine and chemicals will travel around the house through the vents.

The nicotine left in 'second hand' vapor is very nominal, miniscule at best. I would think any other chemicals, flavors and such would be the same. You need electron microscopes to even measure any 'leftovers'.

Most of the vapor dissipates back into the air quickly. There isn't any serious health risk to anyone aside from the one vaping. My vapor clouds linger, but only long enough that the air around will absorb. Unlike smoking, where smoke can just hang around for a while.

That said, PG & VG can leave a film if not cleaned regularly. You might ask that vapor to wipe down walls, clean a window regularly. Which I'm sure for the privilege of the room they ought to not mind doing out of courtesy.

I think ultimately, it resolves down to people being respectful of one another. Everyone needs a little space to live, grow.

A simple 20/80 solution of distilled vinegar and water works a dandy to clean vapor film, by the by. Apologies, mixed up the vinegar solution with something else, corrected it.

The nicotine left in 'second hand' vapor is very nominal, miniscule at best. I would think any other chemicals, flavors and such would be the same. You need electron microscopes to even measure any 'leftovers'.

Most of the vapor dissipates back into the air quickly. There isn't any serious health risk to anyone aside from the one vaping. My vapor clouds linger, but only long enough that the air around will absorb. Unlike smoking, where smoke can just hang around for a while.

That said, PG & VG can leave a film if not cleaned regularly. You might ask that vapor to wipe down walls, clean a window regularly. Which I'm sure for the privilege of the room they ought to not mind doing out of courtesy.

I think ultimately, it resolves down to people being respectful of one another. Everyone needs a little space to live, grow.

A simple 20/80 solution of distilled vinegar and water works a dandy to clean vapor film, by the by. Apologies, mixed up the vinegar solution with something else, corrected it.
I sprayed cologne on the hallway return air and while the hvac was running I could smell the scent in other rooms. Likely the same for vape.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes... I was going to mention that (and most of what you may have heard about vaping is BS so don't trip... the lung issues were from vaping "the other stuff" and even then it was tainted black market crap) I understand if the smell bothers you but don't worry about health issues from second hand vapor.
P.S. I am very careful (even outdoors) if there are young children around. I will move if they are downwind of me.
MMM, I love your new sig

Yes... I was going to mention that (and most of what you may have heard about vaping is BS so don't trip... the lung issues were from vaping "the other stuff" and even then it was tainted black market crap) I understand if the smell bothers you but don't worry about health issues from second hand vapor.
P.S. I am very careful (even outdoors) if there are young children around. I will move if they are downwind of me.
MMM, I love your new sig
I have little kids at home. That's what I'm afraid that it will go through vents. I did spray cologne in the return air and it went through the house.
Will vape do the same with a return in his room?

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Heads up... we don't talk about that (on most of the forums... there are places to talk about some of those topics) I knew this might happen. I help someone who's first post starts with "I do not vape" and I honestly felt you had a valid question but now your are sidetracking into all kinds of other topics. I'm out.

Heads up... we don't talk about that (on most of the forums... there are places to talk about some of those topics) I knew this might happen. I help someone who's first post starts with "I do not vape" and I honestly felt you had a valid question but now your are sidetracking into all kinds of other topics. I'm out.
And I don't vape. Someone here does and does nicotine and has done thc before. We were on the subject of regular vape and chemicals. I thought I'd ask about thc traveling too. Can't talk about it here? Cool I get it.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And I don't vape. Someone here does and does nicotine and has done thc before. We were on the subject of regular vape and chemicals. I thought I'd ask about thc traveling too. Can't talk about it here? Cool I get it.

Yes, flavored vape's scent will likely travel. As far as thc, it likely could as well. I still wouldn't be overly concerned. Again back to the particulates in the vapor being miniscule enough to need very high-end lab equipment to detect, measure.

Ask that any thc use be done outdoors, well away from kids, if it seems a concern. Most folk generally follow the golden rule. You don't harm kids or the elderly, differently abled, nor argue with the elderly, but that's a different horse.

"Wow man! I can see techno-color. All I had to do was whack my thumb with a hammer. I gotta do that more!" ;) :) :D :p

Apologies for a belated response. It was 'one of those days' at work. Had a mixed drink to unwind a bit. Wound up passing out more due to exhaustion than the drink, watching some mind-numbing YouTube videos, in a recliner.

My hands are 'ringing' from the cleaning chemicals, despite wearing nitrate gloves. This is probably lessened though due to those same gloves. Aside from that, got a write-up, seems I'm not allowed to do half-assed cleaning while pressed for time. I'm not that 'special'. Some are, just not me, nope, I have to the 'better' person, always.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors