Become a Patron!

Uwell Valyrian coil problem??

cheezesizzle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey all,

Got my Uwell Valyrian in the mail last Monday (was so stoked to try it). But Its now 10 days later, and I'm on my 4th, yes FOURTH coil. I'm really confused as to what may be causing this. Every single coil so far has lasted a few days, then either completely lost all flavor (not vapor's tongue) or I've gotten burnt tasting. Whenever I installed a new coil, I babied it wattage wise breaking it in, and havent chain vaped at all.. Im just wondering why a tank with such amazing flavor and vapor production (when it's on point) is going through coils like nothing. Anyone else experiencing this?

I've seen a few reviews on YouTube were in around 2 weeks they changed the coils four times because of the same reasons. I hope this is not normal for it as I just got mine yesterday.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

I'm having the same problem, 4 days in and the first coil went. Did you look at your coil? I checked mine and it looks like the top quarter of the coils were burnt and the bottom 3 quarters were perfect. I was able to clean the coil up pretty good and its drying now. I think it might have to do with how fast the tank drinks e juice. I th8nk you have to keeo the e juice completely covering the coils and not let the tank even c9me close to 40% left. Im going to try this out once the coil drys. Im almost certain it has to due with the level of e juice in the tank, since only the too quarter of the tank was burned and the rest of the tank was perfect, at less in my situation. This coil is a pig on ejuice. I'm on my 2nd 60ml bottle since getting this tank, I'm almost regretting it but I switch out. It's worst than the big baby beast. This tank performs excellent overall, it doesnt get too hot and I haven't had 1 leak period. I just wish the coils were a tad smaller overall and the ohms a little higher because it drinks so much juice. I'm diffently going to diy my own juice to use this tank. A little more reading and I'll be ordering my supplies by the end of the week.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For being the hottest tank of 2017 I sure am seeing alot of problems with them.

For being the hottest tank of 2017 I sure am seeing alot of problems with them.
The coil needs time to break in. I wouldn't recommend cranking it to above 45 watts at first. The coil is massive and needs time to soak. Also there's a minimum fill line and if you pass it, can give you a dry hit. I pretty much never let the juice go below the coil. I also wouldn't recommend chain vaping it. Let it sit between vapes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Youtube reviews say the coils last weeks but reports online are to the contrary. I think its safe to say uwell still have not figured out how to make consistent coils.

Hey guys, when I got my Uwell Valyrian tank 2 months ago I was really impressed, until I bought replacement coils. Now the 2 coils that came with the tank lasted 2 weeks each coil, flavour, vapour was brilliant and overall performance was good. I stressed tested the first coil by using the flavours/juices that I could not use in my Vaporesso NRG and VECO tanks and still got the best flavour production. Since I purchased a pack of coils, both coils lasted me 6 days, flavour was poor and my Ohm resistance was jumping from 0.15 ohms to 0.17 and then back down to 0.13. Burnt hits after letting the coil wick for the recommended 8 minutes. My theory is that Uwell send out the best grade coils with their Valyrian Tanks or use a higher grade cotton. The coils you buy separately seem to a lower grade to the ones that come with the tank. Its like the SMOK coils are mass produced and quality drops. Its not that we can rule out that the coils are not original because of the counterfeit seal and codes.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys, when I got my Uwell Valyrian tank 2 months ago I was really impressed, until I bought replacement coils. Now the 2 coils that came with the tank lasted 2 weeks each coil, flavour, vapour was brilliant and overall performance was good. I stressed tested the first coil by using the flavours/juices that I could not use in my Vaporesso NRG and VECO tanks and still got the best flavour production. Since I purchased a pack of coils, both coils lasted me 6 days, flavour was poor and my Ohm resistance was jumping from 0.15 ohms to 0.17 and then back down to 0.13. Burnt hits after letting the coil wick for the recommended 8 minutes. My theory is that Uwell send out the best grade coils with their Valyrian Tanks or use a higher grade cotton. The coils you buy separately seem to a lower grade to the ones that come with the tank. Its like the SMOK coils are mass produced and quality drops. Its not that we can rule out that the coils are not original because of the counterfeit seal and codes.
I don't think there is different levels of quality when it comes to the coils. It's always a crapshoot with disposable coils.

muzz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm using a extra/packaged coil on my Valyrian right now, and so far it's been mint, just like the 2 that came with it, only 2 days, but I've been pounding it at 95-130W constantly, and I haven't seen a difference at this point.
Edit: I've also been careful to not go below the Line they advocate.

So far my coil usage hasn't been that extreme or not to me at least. I guess looking at it written down, it does seem like I've been through quite a few coils. I received my UWELL Valyrian tank on February 22nd (&yes it came with 2 coils), I also went ahead & ordered 2 more on February 24th then again ordered more on March 16th (just yesterday, March 27th, I ordered 2 more but that's only bc I like to have stock & not panic when I need one & no I don't have them yet) anyways I just installed my 1st coil (this was on March 24th) from my most recent purchase on March 16th so I still have 1 more left. I do feel as though I burnt through the first 3 pretty quickly & I think that's all bc I had also brought a new mod when I purchased my UWELL Valyrian tank so I wasn't familiar with neither one of them & especially together. I was trying to vape at a wattage of 100 - 120. &on the valyrian coil it says 95 - 120 (yes I know you don't have to vape that wattage) but coming from Smok cloud beast with my Fuchai 213 plus, I was used to vaping at a higher wattage. Since turning my wattage down on my VooPoo to 80 I've noticed a huge difference in how long my coils have been lasting. Btw I use sweet premium juice. Right now I'm stuck on Suicide Bunny Mother's Milk so my coils go through a beating. So my personal opinion is, you need to keep playing around with it. Also lastly I only use the spiral pin, I have tried the others but I'm still a little confused on how one helps with clouds & the other with flavor. Idk that right there is a headache for me. Sorry so long, hope it helps somehow!

RobN1

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I also find the coils to be inconsistent. But like other brands coils, I think Uwell over rates them. I find they tend to last a little longer if I keep at max 90w. I use the spiral pin, with the airflow slots at a little under half open.

You can all thank me for this later...I'm a seasoned vaper used to building my own coils - thought I'd give this tank and coils a try for convenience and had the same issues as everybody else - poor wicking, dry hits, coils not even getting through a day! The shop which I purchased it from blamed the poor performance on me and were less than helpful (thanks Vape store in Rothwell). I tried poking holes in the 'cotton' with a pin and my first thought was "that's not cotton" - it's way too resistant to puncture with a needle... so I decided to take the knackered coil apart starting with removing the 'cotton'. Read on...

Grab yourself a pair of vape tweesers (angled) - these will cost you next to nothing - and pull the old crap out of there through the outside of the juice holes. What I removed is what I'd normally throw away! It was like the outer layer of Muji pad cotton - not absorbent AT ALL - utter garbage and not suitable for the task in hand.

Once you've removed said crap - grab some trusty cotton bacon from your local vape shop - this will also cost you sod all and last for months if not a year!

Rip a strip of cotton bacon off - a sensible about that will pack out where the old 'cotton' was.

Twist the end in your fingers so you can thread it through the holes you pulled the old stuff out of and feed it through with your tweezers. Go in one hole, out of the next, then back in the same hole you've pulled it out of - this will make the job easy rather than trying to feed it all the way around the coil in one go. Repeat until you've reached the start again.

Your coil should now be surrounded with fresh, absorbent cotton bacon.

Tuck it in where you started and fluff up the cotton where it comes out of the juice holes ensuring that the holes are covered from the inside by the cotton bacon.

Juice that bad boy up BEFORE putting the coil back into the tank - just apply plenty of juice to the INSIDE of the coil until the juice can be seen on the outside of the cotton visible through the juice holes. Reassemble, fill up and enjoy.

Start around 50w and work your way up to 95 in 5W increments slowly so as not to burn the new cotton. Congratulations - you now have non-leak, rewickable tank that will put many RDAs to shame. The flavour WILL be amazing, the juice WILL wick and you WILL have a 'moist' and dense vaping experience rather than the harsh, dry one which UWELL have inflicted upon you.

Obviously eventually the coil will get manky and then it's time to buy a new one but it should last a while. You could try dry burning it without cotton and rinsing to get the crap off. Other people use vodka or isopropyl alcohol to clean the coil itself (without the cotton in place - you don't want to be inhaling that stuff)... Sounds like a lot of work but literally - 5 minutes start to finish. You'll get the materials to do this for less that the cost of a new coil and you can do it time after time...enjoy!

Rob.

You can all thank me for this later...I'm a seasoned vaper used to building my own coils - thought I'd give this tank and coils a try for convenie
You can all thank me for this later...I'm a seasoned vaper used to building my own coils - thought I'd give this tank and coils a try for convenience and had the same issues as everybody else - poor wicking, dry hits, coils not even getting through a day! The shop which I purchased it from blamed the poor performance on me and were less than helpful (thanks Vape store in Rothwell). I tried poking holes in the 'cotton' with a pin and my first thought was "that's not cotton" - it's way too resistant to puncture with a needle... so I decided to take the knackered coil apart starting with removing the 'cotton'. Read on...

Grab yourself a pair of vape tweesers (angled) - these will cost you next to nothing - and pull the old crap out of there through the outside of the juice holes. What I removed is what I'd normally throw away! It was like the outer layer of Muji pad cotton - not absorbent AT ALL - utter garbage and not suitable for the task in hand.

Once you've removed said crap - grab some trusty cotton bacon from your local vape shop - this will also cost you sod all and last for months if not a year!

Rip a strip of cotton bacon off - a sensible about that will pack out where the old 'cotton' was.

Twist the end in your fingers so you can thread it through the holes you pulled the old stuff out of and feed it through with your tweezers. Go in one hole, out of the next, then back in the same hole you've pulled it out of - this will make the job easy rather than trying to feed it all the way around the coil in one go. Repeat until you've reached the start again.

Tuck it in where you started and fluff up the cotton where it comes out of the juice holes ensuring that the holes are covered from the inside by the cotton bacon.

Juice that bad boy up BEFORE putting the coil back into the tank - just apply plenty of juice to the INSIDE of the coil until the juice can be seen on the outside of the cotton visible through the juice holes. Reassemble, fill up and enjoy.

Start around 50w and work your way up to 95 in 5W increments slowly so as not to burn the new cotton. Congratulations - you now have non-leak, rewickable tank that will put many RDAs to shame. The flavour WILL be amazing, the juice WILL wick and you WILL have a 'moist' and dense vaping experience rather than the harsh, dry one which UWELL have inflicted upon you.

Obviously eventually the coil will get manky and then it's time to buy a new one but it should last a while. You could try dry burning it without cotton and rinsing to get the crap off. Other people use vodka or isopropyl alcohol to clean the coil itself (without the cotton in place - you don't want to be inhaling that stuff)... Sounds like a lot of work but literally - 5 minutes start to finish. You'll get the materials to do this for less that the cost of a new coil and you can do it time after time...enjoy!

Rob.

Rob.

nce and had the same issues as everybody else - poor wicking, dry hits, coils not even getting through a day! The shop which I purchased it from blamed the poor performance on me and were less than helpful (thanks Vape store in Rothwell). I tried poking holes in the 'cotton' with a pin and my first thought was "that's not cotton" - it's way too resistant to puncture with a needle... so I decided to take the knackered coil apart starting with removing the 'cotton'. Read on...

Rob.
Could you make a video?

I've had my take for about a month and have probably went through 10 coils. There is a problem with these coils theres more bad ones the good ones. Pretty pissed that I got this tank will be looking for another tank.

I have had my valyrian for 5 months now and I have changed out my coils maybe 6 times I have had no issues with the coils losing flavor or burning out unless I didnt prime it well enough. I prime it with juice before I even try to vape on a new coil, otherwise it will just burn the cotton and have a hard time soaking up the juice in the tank. If you are running the valyrian you should use a higher wattage. The resistance is lower which means it needs to be a higher wattage. They are best from 95W to 120W. Even at 75-85W they are great. The higher the resistance the lower the wattage, the lower the resistance the higher the wattage.

They are probably fake coils I got some from eBay and the box looks completely legit even with the counterfeit sticker If you go to the website and you go to verify you can type in the code to see if they are fake or not I did in mind we're definitely fake it said the code had already been entered 522 * first entered back in 2017

Matt_417

Member For 4 Years
I wonder if the Geekvape Alpha coils will fit in the Valyrian. I have both and the coils look very similar. I don't think the Alpha coils are available yet but I'll check for compatibility when I need to change the coil in the Alpha.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wonder if the Geekvape Alpha coils will fit in the Valyrian. I have both and the coils look very similar. I don't think the Alpha coils are available yet but I'll check for compatibility when I need to change the coil in the Alpha.
Nice find. They do look to be about the same. The Alpha coils might breathe new life into this tank for all who have given up.

Matt_417

Member For 4 Years
I've got bad news. The threads are so slightly different that it doesn't work. I even tried installing the Alpha coil and base into the Valyrian tank section and vice versa. I had high hopes for the Valyrian and it didn't do anything for me.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Anytime I had a problem like this it was due to not firing at a low enough wattage to break in or not properly priming the coil. Some you must flood to start. JMO you must keep in mind.

Finsup

ECF Refugee
There is a company called Medusa that makes mesh coils for the Valyrian. I got better life ( about a month out of the Medusa 4-6 days out of the Uwell ) The flavor is not quite as good but close. Worth a look IMO

Hey all,

Got my Uwell Valyrian in the mail last Monday (was so stoked to try it). But Its now 10 days later, and I'm on my 4th, yes FOURTH coil. I'm really confused as to what may be causing this. Every single coil so far has lasted a few days, then either completely lost all flavor (not vapor's tongue) or I've gotten burnt tasting. Whenever I installed a new coil, I babied it wattage wise breaking it in, and havent chain vaped at all.. Im just wondering why a tank with such amazing flavor and vapor production (when it's on point) is going through coils like nothing. Anyone else experiencing this?

Telling you... Best thing I ever did was see a post about poking holes into factory manufactured coils!!! I poke three holes to every cotton chamber on the outside and mine last week's.... The problem with these coils is that the cotton isn't like regular cotton, it's more like absorbable paper, I'm convinced that the companies make them this way to make more profit off of consumers. You'll see when your poking the holes just how dense it is. It also created better flavor.. The only thing is Don't poke too many holes, you can end up getting too much saturation and flood your tank. Best thing I've ever found out, I've been through about 6 different brands of tanks and different mods just to figure out shitty coils are the problem. If you don't want to do that or aren't comfortable with it get a buildable coil system, for the nay Sayers, it doesn't hurt to try and it 100 percent worked for me.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Telling you... Best thing I ever did was see a post about poking holes into factory manufactured coils!!! I poke three holes to every cotton chamber on the outside and mine last week's.... The problem with these coils is that the cotton isn't like regular cotton, it's more like absorbable paper, I'm convinced that the companies make them this way to make more profit off of consumers. You'll see when your poking the holes just how dense it is. It also created better flavor.. The only thing is Don't poke too many holes, you can end up getting too much saturation and flood your tank. Best thing I've ever found out, I've been through about 6 different brands of tanks and different mods just to figure out shitty coils are the problem. If you don't want to do that or aren't comfortable with it get a buildable coil system, for the nay Sayers, it doesn't hurt to try and it 100 percent worked for me.

Soaking also works if you didn't know, it softens up the fibers.

In the e-Liquid you are about to be vaping out of it. Priming coils and working you way up in wattage is key to coil longevity..........
It's kinda funny... That's what any vape head says when you say you have a problem with a coil... Let's not assume I'm a dumbass for a second, it would be cool if the same response isn't given for any burnt or not burnt coil problem. It's vaping 101 what you just responded with. That is why I was so frustrated for so long, all the repeated generic responses.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's kinda funny... That's what any vape head says when you say you have a problem with a coil... Let's not assume I'm a dumbass for a second, it would be cool if the same response isn't given for any burnt or not burnt coil problem. It's vaping 101 what you just responded with. That is why I was so frustrated for so long, all the repeated generic responses.

Let's see you have 4 posts and you now want to claim you know it all.............. Smart people learn something new everyday and you say you know it all. Congratulations and you will never again receive any advice from me since you will be ignored. I did not assume you are a dumbass but you did confirm it for me.

Let's see you have 4 posts and you now want to claim you know it all.............. Smart people learn something new everyday and you say you know it all. Congratulations and you will never again receive any advice from me since you will be ignored. I did not assume you are a dumbass but you did confirm it for me.

Didn't mean to insult you, I only joined to give people who seem to have the same problems with the same coil some solid advice! I have 4 posts because i remembere an old post I found when I was trying to figure this specific coil out myself. Been vaping for 4 years and wanted to help someone out cause everyone seems to always give the same response, no Shame in vaping 101 responses, I really was just letting you know that just because I'm new to this site don't automatically think I don't know how to prime a coil...lol.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Didn't mean to insult you, I only joined to give people who seem to have the same problems with the same coil some solid advice! I have 4 posts because i remembere an old post I found when I was trying to figure this specific coil out myself. Been vaping for 4 years and wanted to help someone out cause everyone seems to always give the same response, no Shame in vaping 101 responses, I really was just letting you know that just because I'm new to this site don't automatically think I don't know how to prime a coil...lol.

You immediately went on the defensive after asking what to soak it in. That to me is someone who needs Vaping 101 but that wasn't what my intended suggestion was. But do me a favor and never quote me again or I will ignore you. I don't give 2 fucks how long you are vaping I was trying to be civilized and offer help but got an attitude so we are done.

You immediately went on the defensive after asking what to soak it in. That to me is someone who needs Vaping 101 but that wasn't what my intended suggestion was. But do me a favor and never quote me again or I will ignore you. I don't give 2 fucks how long you are vaping I was trying to be civilized and offer help but got an attitude so we are done.
Your an angry person

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Your an angry person

No, I am not, just a person who is sick of know it all's who come into forums expecting people to believe you know what you are talking about to only be proven to not know what time of day it it is. So Really now GFY................

Well.... That was awkward, sorry..... For anyone who sees my original post, it worked for me it may work for you. If your soaking your coils and breaking them in with slowly increasing your wattage, but it's still not working, try something else, poking holes has worked on any coil I've had a problem with. Get creative

muzz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had a Valayrian for a year, I never had a problem that I can recall with a coil, I can tell ya my Nautilus was hit it miss for sure.
I gave my V to my brother (Kinda poor), when I got the Freemax Mesh Pro, cuz there is no comparison IMHO, and he needed a new tank.
He never said a bad word about it, but I sent him a Mesh Pro after I got mine.
He uses the Freemax Mesh Pro now, the Valaryian is his spare.

Valayrian was/is a great tank, I'll take the Freemax Mesh Pro all Day every day over it though.

OOMV of course, IMO, the Mesh Pro is instantaneous, and hits like a freight train.

I had a Valayrian for a year, I never had a problem that I can recall with a coil, I can tell ya my Nautilus was hit it miss for sure.
I gave my V to my brother (Kinda poor), when I got the Freemax Mesh Pro, cuz there is no comparison IMHO, and he needed a new tank.
He never said a bad word about it, but I sent him a Mesh Pro after I got mine.
He uses the Freemax Mesh Pro now, the Valaryian is his spare.

Valayrian was/is a great tank, I'll take the Freemax Mesh Pro all Day every day over it though.

OOMV of course, IMO, the Mesh Pro is instantaneous, and hits like a freight train.
I'll have to try the freemax, Ive tried everything with coils, some tanks better than others, I hated anything smok, what's your coil life with the freemax? At what wattage?

muzz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It depends on the coils, I'm running the Dual Mesh .20 at 60-70W, obviously the wattage is dictated by the resistance of the coil.
What are you running those Valayrian coils at? Pretty sure I ran those around 70 - 80W IIRC, possibly lower for certain.

muzz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thinking back, I stretched the Val coil legs to 110w just to check, and I felt too much heat for me.
Pretty sure I settled on 80W for those...
You have ONE Coil to choose from, and everyone is different.
I tried to call my brother, but he didn't answer.

muzz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I rotate between the Freemax and my Reload RTA (Different flavors), and I run lower wattage than cloud chasers, it's not my bag.
I've run my Freemax since I got it ~3 weeks ago, and the resistance hasn't changed according to my Innokin Proton(Still .20 since day 1) and flavor is still good...so at LEAST 1.5 weeks so far on the 1st coil.

I rotate between the Freemax and my Reload RTA (Different flavors), and I run lower wattage than cloud chasers, it's not my bag.
I've run my Freemax since I got it ~3 weeks ago, and the resistance hasn't changed according to my Innokin Proton(Still .20 since day 1) and flavor is still good...so at LEAST 1.5 weeks so far on the 1st coil.
Right now.. With poking holes in the coils.. Lol (sounds dumb) I'm running the Val coils at 90, which only worked for me longer term with the holes. Before I tried the recommended wattage then I tried around 80 then 70 and even 60. I would run those watts until the coil burned out. My tank never went below the line and I primed them well. I tried the Medusa mesh coils and those lasted longer, maybe 3 to 4 days, but the flavor wasnt there for me. I like really sweet rich flavors so I thought that was the problem but even low flavored higher pg juices didn't do great. I really want to try an rta, I don't know much to anything about them , but these videos of people testing juice out they just cheif away and no way can I do that with the pre built coils. I still think it's something I haven't figured out yet with these pre made coils cause people act like I'm crazy when I tell them they only last a couple days. The juice I have now I think it's 80 vg/ 20 pg, I've read that gunk's your coils...but I also read that these high watt, low ohm tanks need the higher vg... So lost.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The problem with these coils is that the cotton isn't like regular cotton, it's more like absorbable paper
I know what you mean. I've been taking coils apart ever since I started using subohm tanks. They use these little pads and kind of stack them around the coil. The pads are like dryer sheet material.

I've never had to poke a hole in a factory coil though. I've always just used 70/30 liquid and have been fine. I've used tons of tanks too. Another thing I don't do is squirt liquid on a coil before the tank is put together. It always just seemed like (and is for me) an unnecessary step. The coil will be in direct contact with liquid when it's in the tank.

But I think people should do what works for them. Whatever makes things better for you, go ahead and do it I say.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Rob.
I don't know you could have possibly pulled this off.

I just destroyed a Valaryian coil, including pulling the wire all the way out and there's still cotton I can't out.

VU Sponsors