Become a Patron!

uwell crown coils

JuiceFreak

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Has anyone had a problem with theres? I bought tank new on tuesday, primed the coils up like usual till they were good and saturated and after 2 days the .25 dual has burnt out..threw the .5 dual in thursday an now im back to burnt taste again on the .5..70watts was on the .25 and have been runnin the .5 at 65..anything longer then maybe 2 seconds puffing an im being gagged like a donkey..laat coil i have left is the ni one so need to know if its me or a bad batch n tough luck for the coils i got or others having similar problems as most reviews ive read usually end up almost a month per coil

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How do you know its burnt out?
I mean like I have two Crown tanks on two mods with the .25 in both..running them at 75w last few days and still hitting as good as the day I installed them...
Can't say about the .5.. I like the .25 so much I haven't tried them..

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Nope. I've tried all 3. Still using nickle and .5. And definitely nothing close to burnt. I can't imagine a dry wick on these.

JuiceFreak

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thats what i dont get..nice an saturated before filling tank..after 1.5/2days on both and after maybe 2/3 seconds vaping i get the dry hit burn/taste..tears ur throat out and makes u gag..soon as coils were installed tho best vape/flavor ive ever experienced vaping which is why im at a tiss up to these coils

JuiceFreak

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is on full tanks as well, im puzzled..will also add i leave airflow wide open as well..but completely baffled as to how or why im getting this..no doubt i love the tank but i gotta get this problem figured out..have checked to make sure coils arent to tight/loose..its almost as if theyre not getting enough juice flow to them

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A month on a coil would be a vast amount if you vaped 30mls a day, and not much if you vaped 1 ml a day LOL How much juice did you put through them before they burned out?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thats what i dont get..nice an saturated before filling tank..after 1.5/2days on both and after maybe 2/3 seconds vaping i get the dry hit burn/taste..tears ur throat out and makes u gag..soon as coils were installed tho best vape/flavor ive ever experienced vaping which is why im at a tiss up to these coils
Maybe it's your juice...I take 4-5 second deep, cloud blowin,' lung hits at 70w all day long...good flavor and not even close to a harsh or dry hit...so I don't get why your having these issues when everybody else isn't..including me...I do vape VG max with a extra flavor shot...5mgs of nic does the trick too..awesome tank

Last edited:

StanM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know if you primed and broke in your coils like this. But, it's how I did and haven't had any issues. Especially with the low wattage ramp up.

Last edited:

JuiceFreak

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Vape about 30mls within the 2 days with max vg 3mg nic...had atlantis v2 prior to the crown,same amount vaped with same juice and no problems at all..this is why im so befuddled about the coils..as to the video thanks for posting stanM thats exactly how i primed coils..dripped it until i could see the saturation on the cotton threw the juice vents and like i say its the most rediculous badass vape/flavor you could ever ask for but now after 48hours ish with full its just a dry hit taste with full tank..also looking at the coil there is brown burnt spots on the insides of coils as if they were running dry but this is still with full tank of juice,if i vaoe for maybe a second no burnt just full flavor..anything longer then maybe 2 seconds its a gagger

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape about 30mls within the 2 days with max vg 3mg nic...had atlantis v2 prior to the crown,same amount vaped with same juice and no problems at all..this is why im so befuddled about the coils..as to the video thanks for posting stanM thats exactly how i primed coils..dripped it until i could see the saturation on the cotton threw the juice vents and like i say its the most rediculous badass vape/flavor you could ever ask for but now after 48hours ish with full its just a dry hit taste with full tank..also looking at the coil there is brown burnt spots on the insides of coils as if they were running dry but this is still with full tank of juice,if i vaoe for maybe a second no burnt just full flavor..anything longer then maybe 2 seconds its a gagger
Again it could be your juice..its the only thing I can think of at this point..

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

If you can't vape longer than 2 seconds and you primed like the video it sounds like a batch of bad coils. I read on another forum someone solved his problem by taking a safety pin and punching (gently) through the holes

I currently have two coils running - an Ni200 coil and a 0.25 - both with 80% VG, both the best flavor I've ever found in a tank without even a hint of a dry hit when the tank appears empty.

JuiceFreak

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the replys, could very well be the juice..i live in a small town in canada and only have one local shop..so i take what i can get my hands on..ill throw the ni in and run it on temp and cross my fingers..wouldnt b such a problem if it was a bad batch of coils but as i say im in a small town and resupplying the goods would likely make some of your guys heads turn on the cost appose to ordering haha

rotax

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I got my crown last week and have been vaping it steady 20-30 mil. a day .25 coil 60 watts cuz thats all i got. No dry hits yet, WANT MORE POWER! This thing rocks . i mix my own juice 70% VG. You must have a bad batch of coils, or your juice is the problem. thats all i can think of, try poking a needle in the cotton to open it up a little like some one else said.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
OK, I figured it happened. But all I have to say is... HOLY SHIT! 20-30 MLS a day. Wow. I thought I was really increasing with my Crown. A 30 ml is only lasting me 4 days. ☺

Anyway, it's definitely an anomaly. Not saying crown coils can't be bad, but there just isn't any problems I've seen yet. It's perfect. Now, here and there, someone says it doesn't work. They get new coils... Perfect. So what ever the problem is, seems real, but isolated.

I even bought a couple boxes of coils. I have not used them yet. Still on the original ones. But I have two different tanks from 2 different places and a couple boxes of coils. Curious if I'm going to run into a bad one.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You only dropped 5w going from a 0.25 to a 0.5 coil? Maybe your just running too much power?
When I vaped a 0.5 arctic coil I would run about 35w from memory.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You only dropped 5w going from a 0.25 to a 0.5 coil? Maybe your just running too much power?
When I vaped a 0.5 arctic coil I would run about 35w from memory.

Even the 0.5 coils are best run at high wattage. These are quite different from any other coils I've used!

rotax

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Dude this thing eats juice or maybe its me . :cool: Any way i filled about an hour ago and its almost empty and i also have a subtank that i switch off to while i charge and vape .it just taste so good. I just wish they held more juice like the subtank plus i have 7mils , i want to get a smoke tvf4 but i wish they would offer a bigger tank instead of a mini like they did . Why on earth would you put a smaller tank on a juice guzzling tank like this is beyond me . I also Need more power before i even consider buying the smoke .

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's normal to burn thru the juice with this tank..those big fluffy clouds we blow is why! Lol

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

JuiceFreak

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was just running based off recomendations from reviews,and they nailed it with the wattage and flavor at those perticular settings..im on the ni200 coil now but its so blah compared to .25(best i found)and .5 for flavor..will try peircing the .25/.5 tomorrow and see if i can bring them back to life like others mentioned trying because im the same boat as everyone else..hands down absolute beast of a tank(minus it being a juice guzzling pig)

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just for the hell of it I pushed a .25 to 120W, using 20pg/80vg, no dry or burnt taste, just hot, hot, hot.
I would try another juice and see if you get rid of the burnt taste.
Love the Crown a winner.

JuiceFreak

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I set coils aside once i started getting these problems..upon looking inside the coil itself they are black and charred/scorched the entire length of the coil..cotton is completely saturated still but the coil itself is black as night and almost looks as if you could scrape the burnt residue off of them

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It seems these coils do take a lot more watts than most per uwells recommendation and like amanda said but if its black and burt, it soulds like the watts are simply too high.

On your next fresh 0.5 coil, start low like 30w. Vape it for a bit and keep moving higher untill you get decent clouds and stay there for 1/2 tank while the cotton breaks in. Then start moving up into crazy high wattage for a 0.5 coil. You may find great vape and flavor without hot burnt taste at much less than 65w.
Can't hurt anything doing it that way.

Edit: thinking about it, if you are vaping a store bought dessert flavor like a caramel or custard or whatever... those crud stuff up faster than anything and can leave a black build up no matter what you do. Well, other than DIY juice. Not sure what those vendors put in there but my DIY desserts are much nicer to coils

Last edited:

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I set coils aside once i started getting these problems..upon looking inside the coil itself they are black and charred/scorched the entire length of the coil..cotton is completely saturated still but the coil itself is black as night and almost looks as if you could scrape the burnt residue off of them
23874626b6195685b935f74d4ca029fa.jpg

Are your coils looking like this?
This is a .5 ohm Arctic coil that got burnt at 40w...funny thing that it was still tasting good..noticed it when refilling the tank..

JuiceFreak

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Coil part is that black, cotton still looks like its fresh of the shelf..just cleaned the .25 and tried again and same thing after maybe a second feels like im smoking a burnt tshirt..ill grab some more coils and have a go and do things in slow mo like you suggest fq...in the meantime, i get to break the velocity out :p...id post pics of the uwell coils but im on mobile and cant get the pictures resized to be able to post them

JuiceFreak

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
On a side note aimed towards juice flavor ive only smoked fruity/sour mixes..havnt tried anything in the line of custards etc..grape gum and blackberry sour premium blends..grape gum max vg/3mg...blackberry sour is a 70/30 3mg but only about half a tank of that on the crown as i didnt wanna chance wasting a tank full

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For the pics to load... crop them, I usually have to take about half the boarder off top & bottom and sides.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Coil part is that black, cotton still looks like its fresh of the shelf..just cleaned the .25 and tried again and same thing after maybe a second feels like im smoking a burnt tshirt..ill grab some more coils and have a go and do things in slow mo like you suggest fq...in the meantime, i get to break the velocity out ...id post pics of the uwell coils but im on mobile and cant get the pictures resized to be able to post them
I use the Tapatalk app to post pics... From this tablet and from my droid (black Arctic coil pic earlier)... also the Tapatalk app makes everything a lot easier, including navigation. Just thought I'd share this

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wonder if your mod could possibly putting out more power than it's displaying. I have a few different mods and even though 50 watts should be 50 watts, it's not always the case.

If you try decreasing the power, does the burnt taste go away? I see tons of posts where people say at x watts I'm getting burnt hits. I always wonder, why not just turn it down. I run a Billow V2 dual coil at about 30 watts, if I turn it up, it tastes burnt to me, so I don't. Like the story of the guy goes to doc and says, "Doc when I do x it hurts and the Doc replies, then don't do x lol.

Not saying you don't have a bad batch, anything is possible. I remember reading the Vaping Devil had a couple of bad Ni200 coils out of the package. He said the third one is working great, so it can happen. Good luck!

Cheers,
Steve

JuiceFreak

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe ill give it a go at lower and see if it helps..using new lpv3 li(only 4 days newer then the tank lol)

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm using a 3 Li too. I think it's a great mod. Mine has been a workhorse. Good luck! I'm sure in time, you will get it all sorted.

Cheers,
Steve

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Bottom line is the tank and the coil can handle lots of power. Lots of air, lots of juice. So either your mod is putting out too much, or the coil isn't right and has a hot spot.

There is a lot of cotton. So I just made sure it was fully saturated. Kept applying till it wouldn't accept any more and let it rip. You should not need a drawn out process. Do turn you box down. But put in a new one and move on.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Coil part is that black, cotton still looks like its fresh of the shelf..just cleaned the .25 and tried again and same thing after maybe a second feels like im smoking a burnt tshirt..ill grab some more coils and have a go and do things in slow mo like you suggest fq...in the meantime, i get to break the velocity out :p...id post pics of the uwell coils but im on mobile and cant get the pictures resized to be able to post them

My first suspicion is the juice. Everybody who is having great results with the Crown in this thread, myself included, is vaping 70-80 VG juice. You're using max VG. It really might be the juice throwing off the tank.

I also noticed that my Crown 0.5 ohm coil was looking pretty dark after the first few of days. I decided to run a Q-tip through the coil to see if I could clean the metal. Worked like a charm. Now I run a Q-tip through the coil about once every day or two and it ends up shiny every single time. I don't know if that will work for you, but it's worth a shot.

That aside, the first thing I recommend is switching to 70-80 VG juice. Lower VG juice will absolutely wick better. Guaranteed. Remember, not all max VG juices have the same VG ratio. Some are actually 80% VG simply based on the amount and type of flavoring while others are closer to 95% VG. You might be dealing with a seriously high VG juice or just a bad juice with a poor quality ingredient (junk VG, iffy flavorings or even a sketchy DIY sweetener). If you can get your hands on one bottle of a known good brand of juice at 70-80% VG, clean your coils with a Q-tip, and see if they behave better, things should start to look up. If you were only having trouble with one coil I would think it was just a bad coil, but both the 0.5 & 0.25 ohm coils are giving you the same problem with the same juice.

Tumbleweed

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you can't vape longer than 2 seconds and you primed like the video it sounds like a batch of bad coils. I read on another forum someone solved his problem by taking a safety pin and punching (gently) through the holes

I currently have two coils running - an Ni200 coil and a 0.25 - both with 80% VG, both the best flavor I've ever found in a tank without even a hint of a dry hit when the tank appears empty.

I always have to poke a couple of holes through my cotton after the first few tanks on a coil to keep them going, especially with the high VG juices I run. It seems like the Crown coils have the cotton packed VERY tight.

I originally perceived the slow wicking to be a burnt hit, but really it was just the cotton (dry).

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The cotton is very tight in these coils, part of the reason the flavor is sooooo good and can hold enough to fight off dry hits under high power.

I do wish the juice holes were a little bigger like triton/atlantis coils size. It does somehow avoid dry hits for me even with those small holes though, I can't complain but would think it would be a little better with more of the cotton exposed.

Gotta say though that the crown is just about the best flavor I've had even including rda's. I held off for a long time reading post after post about how good the flavor is but I hate tall toppers. I finally got one and wish I didn't wait... and now that I did buy we should see a slick crown mini hitting the shelves any day now lol.

VU Sponsors