Become a Patron!

UTA2 buid suggestions.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got my clone from FT a few weeks ago and have been playing around with it since. It has not been anything like exceptional, but I'm learning :)

First build: 1.2 ohms, 28 gauge Kanthal, 2.8 mm I.D. , 7/6 wrap. I put the KGD cotton above/below the 2 slots each side and turned the outer sleeve so there was a bit of pressure on the wicking. Worked OK, but flavor and TH were muted. I was not impressed at all.

Did my second build tonight. 28 gauge Kanthal, 4/3 wrap, 4mm I.D. (it was tight, but it fit), 1 ohm. Better flavor and TH, and overall I'm liking it a lot more, but it's not exceptional. Getting better performance from a Rose V3 and a Merlin so far, at least for me.

So, have any of you got this puppy to excel? If so, please share if you can :)

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Update. I didn't mention in my current build I used the vertical wick slots instead of the dual horizontals the first time. I had to reduce some pressure on the wicks after a while to get juice flow to keep up with my vaping. My juice is 90-95% PG. Coil is also as high as I could get it to try for a bit more TH. I do that with most of my atties.

It's been pretty good since I built it last night, but may do a bit better still with less wick pressure. It doesn't leak at all now so there's some window left for experimentation. This build is definitely better than my first one. Very vapeable with flavor & TH approaching the other good atties I have.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, it's been about 5 weeks and I've been plugging away slowly at this thing. I just couldn't get a good vape out of it until I tried spacing my coils wide enough. I rate the flavor and TH now as just slightly less, or maybe it's just a bit different, than my Rose V3 and Aqua V2 and that makes it good enough to have been in my regular rotation for the last week because I wanted it there. It has not leaked during that week and I typically get the wicking right the first time now.

Max air flow is a bit looser than the Aqua V2, a bit tighter than the Rose V3 and the Merlin is slightly more open than the Rose. It will do a fairly restricted MTL with the air slot almost fully closed, but at that point it's hard to control and I think there are better atties for tight MTL vaping out there. The Aqua is the only one of these three I feel is good for this. I vape DL all the time.

I took some pics the last time I re-wicked. Here goes ...

Coil and wick - 27 gauge SS316 at 0.65 ohms, 2.5mm ID (vapes at 16-20 watts):
2z6uxow.jpg

210g64l.jpg

Wicks get an initial trim:
opraf6.jpg

Wicks get fluffed and spread out to cover the opening top to bottom after outer ring is on:
11c9r12.jpg

Install outer ring and make sure I've got the wick openings covered:
vopthl.jpg

Wet the wick, screw on the top plate, rotate the outer ring clockwise so the wick openings are the right size for the cotton in them, snug down the top plate to clamp the outer ring and do a final positioning and cut of the wicks:
xfntkl.jpg

2mlg76.jpg

2enm99t.jpg

Split the wicks and 'smush' them onto the outer ring. Since I first tried this I have not had any leaks except for about one drop after filling:
2wghoic.jpg

14mawie.jpg

On a Pico 75 and a RX200:
11tpgs9.jpg

15f0wld.jpg

Side by side with a Merlin and a Rose V3:
10r6b7m.jpg

I haven't measured it yet, but I think it holds about 4 ml of juice. There are parts included to make a short version of the tank that's rated at 2.5 ml, but I haven't tried that yet. I would think flavor would improve a bit due to the shorter chimney tube.

This atty has a lot of options for wicking and general tinkering. I tried using the horizontal wick openings first as some reviewers did better with them than the vertical to avoid flooding. My juice is all PG so it's about as thin as it gets and I'm liking the vertical slots now, though it did take until I started splitting and smushing the wick tails over until I was able to get that under control. IMO with VG in the juice it would only get easier to get the wicking right.

One last thought. Since the beginning of this journey I've been struggling to get more TH out of this tank. I suspect if I had wanted a smooth vape with a lot of flavor I would have had an easier time of it. I haven't tried to make it do that so I can't be sure, but it wouldn't surprise me.

And that's all I've got for now :)

Last edited:

VU Sponsors