Become a Patron!

Upgrading Smok Stick V8 Baby (AKA Smok coils don't like me)

brittlebone_echoes

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've had my Stick V8 Baby for a couple of months. It showed me that I can enjoy vaping (credit where it's due, etc) but I'm going through their coils in 2-3 days. Some (too many) are hotspotting within a few hours, the rest are just all-over knackered after a couple of days.

I realised not to chain-vape (though more on that below) or to let my liquid drop too low in the tank (those bad habits probably killed some of the early coils), but I still can't get the coils to last long enough to make this financially viable. I've come to the conclusion (though feel free to suggest others) that my vaping style just doesn't work with these coils. Back to chain vaping, I see multiple definitions of this. I want a mod that I can puff away on throughout the day while I'm working, though taking time between hits to let the coil cool, not slamming hit-after-hit with no break between. Some definitions still count that as chain vaping. I tend to feel my tank - if it's hot, I leave it, if it's cool (or coolish, I don't wait until it's stone cold), I vape.

I'm certainly vaping enough to drain the battery in a day, often get into late evening and run out of charge. Another issue with the kit.

As for juices, I'm using fruity stuff. 70%+ VG. The last juice tasted really sweet so I suspected that was contributing to coil death, but the newer stuff is a lot less sweet and the coils are still dying young. Can give more info on the juices if necessary (but tbh, my flavour preferences won't change so the new kit needs to cope, y'know?).

I spoke to my local shop and they recommended the following:

+ Asmodus Minikin (I think v2, not sure)
+ batteries??? (they didn't tell me what, as they want me to buy it from them and pay their set-up fee)
+ Vandy Vape Kyrin v2
+ coils??? (again, didn't specify brand, said they'd set it up for me)
+ cotton??? (same again)

Recommended on the basis that the coils are robust enough to handle my preferred vaping style, and threading my own cotton will keep the system fresher/happier for longer. The person I spoke to reckons I can get a couple of weeks out of a pair of coils, and 1.5-2 days out of the batteries. I nearly bit his hand off for it (such is my frustration with my current kit) but thought some more reading, advice and price-comparison was in order.

My desires for a replacement are fairly simple (ha, famous last words).

+ Batteries get me through a day (I charge overnight on a timer)
+ Coils last at least a week of heavy vaping
+ A mod that will last me, I'm not looking to get a budget one that I want to upgrade in 6 months
+ Some clouds are nice, but I'm not chasing them
+ Enough flavour to keep me interested (more than the Stick ideally, but I'm not gonna go all 'hmm, notes of cherry with a woody finish')

So, thoughts? On any/all of it. Am I a coil killer and fundamentally need to change my habits? Is this a good replacement for my Stick? If so, what batteries and coils should I be getting? If not, what do you recommend? Have I been mislead by the shop?

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to VU :wave:

Two things kind of jump out at me here -

First - If you vape a lot (or even just a little) you really should have at least two setups - first off, you can vape as much as you want (need) without worry, and two, if something happens to one of the vapes you have a second to back you up

Second, while I can't comment on the setup your B&M is recommending, I can say you would be way better off learning how to coil and wick yourself, so you are not dependent on the B&M

While the B&M might (some are better than others) be able to help you get off on the right foot, with practice and patience you can be self suffiicient and save yourself an amazing amount of money - and be able to vape any kind of juice no matter how gunky

Coils you make yourself only cost a few cents and if you take care of them (dry burn and rewick weekly, in general) the coils will last you for several months

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Two things kind of jump out at me here -

First - If you vape a lot (or even just a little) you really should have at least two setups - first off, you can vape as much as you want (need) without worry, and two, if something happens to one of the vapes you have a second to back you up

Second, while I can't comment on the setup your B&M is recommending, I can say you would be way better off learning how to coil and wick yourself, so you are not dependent on the B&M

While the B&M might (some are better than others) be able to help you get off on the right foot, with practice and patience you can be self suffiicient and save yourself an amazing amount of money - and be able to vape any kind of juice no matter how gunky

Coils you make yourself only cost a few cents and if you take care of them (dry burn and rewick weekly, in general) the coils will last you for several months

THIS!

Much better than my snide comment.
Apologies.

brittlebone_echoes

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Smok coils do not seem to like anyone.

Ha! So I've heard. 2 days per coil does seem to be, uh, 'extracting the urine' more than usual, though.

Hullo!

That was my other thought, though unspoken here. Getting two mid-range kits, rather than blowing it all on a relatively expensive one. Still, I'd prefer one new kit and the current Stick as backup (I do enough driving/pottering around/gardening to appreciate a smaller, pocket friendly kit about the place anyway, and that would give the main mod a break).

I'm happy changing coils myself, and wicking. Not wanting to get into making my own coils yet, I've got enough on my plate that it feels really daunting, especially as I'm planning to start DIYing liquids as well. I do appreciate the advice though, it's definitely something I want to do in the future.

Thanks for the help :)

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Ha! So I've heard. 2 days per coil does seem to be, uh, 'extracting the urine' more than usual, though.

Hullo!

That was my other thought, though unspoken here. Getting two mid-range kits, rather than blowing it all on a relatively expensive one. Still, I'd prefer one new kit and the current Stick as backup (I do enough driving/pottering around/gardening to appreciate a smaller, pocket friendly kit about the place anyway, and that would give the main mod a break).

I'm happy changing coils myself, and wicking. Not wanting to get into making my own coils yet, I've got enough on my plate that it feels really daunting, especially as I'm planning to start DIYing liquids as well. I do appreciate the advice though, it's definitely something I want to do in the future.

Thanks for the help :)

I will say this, I don't have a Minikin - but they are supposed to be a very fine mod

And you can buy pre-wrapped coils and wick them yourself

You almost sound like a good candidate for squonking - much easier to learn how to coil and wick than an RTA, which does take a good deal of practice

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I like Segelei Kaos Spectrum better than any other mod I have tried. Suggest getting 4 batteries and a charger. LGHG2 are good.. 20A and 3000mah (long lasting)
Ijoy makes a nice RDTA combo. Like a drip atomizer with a tank, so you dont have to drip. (tank is on bottom). Down side, you have to at least be able to mount coils. You can buy them pre-wound. Advantage very good flavor, coils should last 4 to 7 day before you need to re-wick. Dry burn the coils after removing old wick, then install new wick. You should get 3 to 4 week or more on a set of coils.
This solves the burning through coils issue and the running out of battery charge issue.. you always have 2 fresh ones on the charger.
This is quite a step up from what you have but addresses all the issues you mentioned. I believe there is a rebuildable deck for the baby beast, so you could use that if you got the RBA deck.
There are other, cheaper mods you can get, but you get what you pay for.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have the Minikin V2, best mod I've bought in awhile, the chip in the mod makes for fantastic battery life. Compared to other mods, using the same power level and same coils, the batteries last MUCH much longer in the Minikin.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So, I’m no expert....I have a v8. (It was purple and cute and I couldn’t help myself) It has served me well....I have a coil on right now that’s been there for weeks. BUT.....it is not my daily driver. I don’t bring it to work(not quite enough battery life), I do use it every day....along with the 20 other mods I have. That said, I just may be a lucky person with Smok products.

The Asmodus Minikin v2 is a fabulous mod, if that’s the direction you wanna go. I have two of them, they last the day(for me) battery-wise, feel good in your hand and have a bunch of colors to choose from. And they’re under $100(online).

When you start DIY, there’s an amazingly helpful group over in the diy section. I’ve learned a lot from them! Good luck and welcome!

brittlebone_echoes

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So, I’m no expert....I have a v8. (It was purple and cute and I couldn’t help myself) It has served me well....I have a coil on right now that’s been there for weeks. BUT.....it is not my daily driver. I don’t bring it to work(not quite enough battery life), I do use it every day....along with the 20 other mods I have. That said, I just may be a lucky person with Smok products.

The Asmodus Minikin v2 is a fabulous mod, if that’s the direction you wanna go. I have two of them, they last the day(for me) battery-wise, feel good in your hand and have a bunch of colors to choose from. And they’re under $100(online).

When you start DIY, there’s an amazingly helpful group over in the diy section. I’ve learned a lot from them! Good luck and welcome!

I've bought the Minikin v2 and the Kylin tank. Found a good deal so decided to stop pissing about and just go for it. I've not heard a bad word about the Minikin or the Kylin, so I feel pretty safe. Coils are nearly sorted, going for some 0.4ohm 'staggered fused claptons' from a small business a friend recommended. Tbh, I'm a bit lost as to what resistance I want so I'm going with what's suggested and I'll tweek from there.

Just the batteries now. I've no ideas what wattage I'll be vaping at, this is my first variable device. Probably best to start a new thread now I have a more specific question.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've bought the Minikin v2 and the Kylin tank. Found a good deal so decided to stop pissing about and just go for it. I've not heard a bad word about the Minikin or the Kylin, so I feel pretty safe. Coils are nearly sorted, going for some 0.4ohm 'staggered fused claptons' from a small business a friend recommended. Tbh, I'm a bit lost as to what resistance I want so I'm going with what's suggested and I'll tweek from there.

Just the batteries now. I've no ideas what wattage I'll be vaping at, this is my first variable device. Probably best to start a new thread now I have a more specific question.
Nice! Have fun with it!

VU Sponsors