Become a Patron!

Unethical Vape Store?

dropin_biking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys just thought I'd post this quick experience with you guys. Was at my local vape shop (The only one in my town) They opened up a little over a year ago, and have been having great business. It is mostly (and I mean 90%) Wealthy younger people.

I've noticed in just the few times I was there, checking out prices, and listening to the guys behind the counter, they are trying to SELL SELL SELL. A young guy I know, curious about trying to vape to quit smoking got sold a TFV12 and a 15 pack of coils, some $40 a bottle e-juice, and a reuleaux rx gen3. He got home and found out it was NOTHING like what he wanted. All sales are final at this store.

I'm sorry but it just seems like a money grab. The guys at the counter had NO interest in sourcing me replacement glass, or a drip tip, but were eager to sell me another TFV8, and said they would throw in a 30ml bottle of juice for half price (would have still cost me $22 for the juice and $55 for the atty) They also don't stock anything above 6mg because "Nobody buys that, it's too strong"

I'm not going to name names, and I'm really not even trying to throw them under the bus (as much as it sounds) But I can't help but feel they are booming with business just because of markup and taking advantage of the less educated.

Anyone else have an experience like this at their local vape shop? I live in a small town, and it's starting to change the opinion of vaping. It's slowly turning into "The cool thing for young kids to waste money on"

Last edited:

dropin_biking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
it's the main reason I shop online.
I can get the tank for $20 and the juice for $15;)

It's not just the prices, it's the midset, and the attitude. I felt like I was insulting them asking about replacement glass, and a drip tip. They never got back to me about the "order" they placed. I'm new, and had questions, and they had no interest in answering them.

I know not every store is going to be perfect, but I just can't help but feel this place is NOT what our small town needs.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
More unethical than immoral - but sadly, not that uncommon from what I see and read about a lot

B&Ms are usually more expensive than online stores, but that is often true of a lot of commercial things

No vape shops near me, so mainly shop online anyways - you might want to do that also

Sucks to have to wait, but so many vape stores have staff that don't know anything or are only interested in selling big ticket or overprice items

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys just thought I'd post this quick experience with you guys. Was at my local vape shop (The only one in my town) They opened up a little over a year ago, and have been having great business. It is mostly (and I mean 90%) Wealthy younger people.

I've noticed in just the few times I was there, checking out prices, and listening to the guys behind the counter, they are trying to SELL SELL SELL. A young guy I know, curious about trying to vape to quit smoking got sold a TFV12 and a 15 pack of coils, some $40 a bottle e-juice, and a reuleaux rx gen3. He got home and found out it was NOTHING like what he wanted. All sales are final at this store.

I'm sorry but it just seems like a money grab. The guys at the counter had NO interest in sourcing me replacement glass, or a drip tip, but were eager to sell me another TFV8, and said they would throw in a 30ml bottle of juice for half price (would have still cost me $22 for the juice and $55 for the atty) They also don't stock anything above 6mg because "Nobody buys that, it's too strong"

I'm not going to name names, and I'm really not even trying to throw them under the bus (as much as it sounds) But I can't help but feel they are booming with business just because of markup and taking advantage of the less educated.

Anyone else have an experience like this at their local vape shop? I live in a small town, and it's starting to change the opinion of vaping. It's slowly turning into "The cool thing for young kids to waste money on"
Portland Oregon is full of hipster vaping boutiques that cater to those kind of customers so you don't necessarily need to be in a small town to be stuck with that.

dropin_biking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
More unethical than immoral - but sadly, not that uncommon from what I see and read about a lot

B&Ms are usually more expensive than online stores, but that is often true of a lot of commercial things

No vape shops near me, so mainly shop online anyways - you might want to do that also

Sucks to have to wait, but so many vape stores have staff that don't know anything or are only interested in selling big ticket or overprice items
Like I said, it's not so much the prices that bother me. I understand local retailers have to charge more, it's the nature of the game. I've gotten my vape gear online, because I'm cheap, and need to save a buck haha.

I suppose I was just expecting some customer support and honest help. I would have paid more and been a repeat customer if I felt the place wanted my business. I just didn't feel that way, at all.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I suppose I was just expecting some customer support and honest help.

At least you are wise to their lack of service, price and knowledge

It makes it sad for new people though. It's hard to sit back and watch people get ripped

dropin_biking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's what I'm afraid of. Our small town is very impressionable. I just feel like the rest of the town is getting the wrong impression of vapers, or the vaping community.

I know the business is making money, which is good for the economy. But it seems like 90% of the money is being made from well-off teenagers (most likely) on their parents dollar. I don't know what the legal age of vaping is in my area, but there's a massive wave of teenagers getting into it. Groups of teens hanging out infront of the coffee shops vaping, clustered at the town docks and pizza place vaping up a storm. It all seems a bit obnoxious. I know it certainly steered me away from it at first.

Since I quit smoking 4 weeks ago, the only feedback I'm getting from friends who don't vape is that I'm doing it to be cool, or that I must have lots of money to waste. It's seen as hobby for those with disposable income, and this store seems to cater to that. Good on them for making $$$ and capitalizing on the market, but I wonder what it will do to our fragile vaping community.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's not just vape shops, that's pretty much true of any type of business. You'll find shops that have decent prices, those that are outrageous, shops with helpful knowledgeable employees and those that don't have the first clue. If they have a ton of wealthy people paying their prices and not expecting much from them they're likely to stay in business and keep operating that way. Some places are great about helping all comers and others are snobbish and can't be bothered beyond 'gravy' sales (easy with fat markup).

I've seen it in auto repair, some shops look out for their customers and take the time to give their car a once over making sure after a simple oil change it doesn't break down shortly after. Some simply do the oil change and can't be bothered or see an issue but keep their mouth shut because the job is difficult and doesn't profit much. Others will find every little thing wrong and show a customer a $3,000 estimate. Depending on the type of customer depends on how long any of those type places stay in business. Some customers know their car has issues and just want the oil change they asked for. Others simply hand over their credit card and dismiss the estimate saying 'whatever it takes, don't bore me with details'.

Hopefully another shop opens with a better mindset and finds there's a need to have helpful staff that caters to the customer rather than just pushing the latest truckload of gear.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
@dropin_biking
Wait, $22 for a 30ml bottle of juice is half price? I guess they'll charge what the traffic will bear, but their customers are idiots. I can make most of a liter of juice for $22, enough for me to vape for half a year. Once you get settled with gear you like and start to DIY you juice, vaping is practically free.

dropin_biking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I know, their prices are out to lunch. I am Canadian also, so factor that. But yeah They wanted almost $60 for a TFV8 tank.

The "order" they placed for me (this was 3 weeks ago, I doubt they did, haven't heard back) said would run be about $25. That was for one 510 drip tip with adapter for melo 300, and one melo 300 clear glass.

dropin_biking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And just so you guys know, I didn't give them any of my money. A buddy sold me all his old vape stuff for $60. That included an istick QC 200, a melo 300 with broken glass and missing drip tip (Hence why I went there in the first place) a Brit Mini tank (was shit, but lasted until I got a tip and glass) and 6 random 30ml bottles of juice, all over half full. I thought it was a hell of a deal, and he just wanted to get rid of it.

CactusCutie

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm with Lucy. She picked the right word when she said 'unethical' as opposed to immoral.

Sure it is nice to snatch and grab some money and turn a fast profit but if your customers aren't happy with the product, or aren't getting the best bang for their buck they'll go elsewhere and you'll go belly up and broke. Retail is retail and wholesale is wholesale. We expect to get screwed when we pay retail but nobody likes getting raped! Big difference!

Also there's the service factor. I don't mind paying a little more if someone is giving me individualized attention and personalized service. They are taking the time to talk to me; to educate me about something I'm interested in and to instruct me on a product I'm unfamiliar with and its usage. When I go in a retail vape shop I assume (operative word) part of what I'm paying for is these people's time and for them to educate me.

If they can't do this then I promise you, you will not have long to wait before they go out of business-----especially at their over inflated prices! You were a prime example of just how quick they lost a customer. I'm sure you're not the first and I know you won't be the last.

Same here. There are 3 shops in my area. One is a smoke shop with a that also sells a small amount of vaping equipment. Smoking and tobacco products comprises 75% or more of their business. The other two are full fledged 100% vape shops.

Out of the two shops one is as you described and the other is not. I will never step foot in the one vape shop again. Once was enough. They sold me something that made me sick literally! Threw it out and wasted $18.00!

As for that store giving vaping a bad name in the community. Mmmmm..... I dunno'. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Like all things deemed controversial, vaping is no exception. People have already picked sides and made up their minds about it long before that store opened their doors. People in your area will use the store's success or failure to support their argument one way or the other. Hopefully another vape shop that operates with more class will have opened in the meantime before these guys shut down or get shut down.

I think the best name you can give vaping is the example you set personally and by telling others your own story and personal experiences with it. Word of mouth is always the best advertising. :)

And that was super nice of your friend to sell you all his old stuff for $60.00!

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
If they can't do this then I promise you, you will not have long to wait before they go out of business-----especially at their over inflated prices! You were a prime example of just how quick they lost a customer. I'm sure you're not the first and I know you won't be the last.
This is not always true. The young have disposable income and cloud chasing does hold appeal for the "wanna be cool crowd". Hopefully a a shop will open that is owned by a knowledgeable vaper who knows how to service many type of vaper's.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
it's the main reason I shop online.
I can get the tank for $20 and the juice for $15;)
When I first started vaping there were 4 vape shops around my area. Actually 30 miles away but...
I visited all 4 and was not impressed with any of them. Left 2 of them very pissed.
Since then I am 100% online shopping for vape stuff.

dropin_biking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just ordered a few things online to keep me going with the vaping, but juice is one thing you almost need to buy in person. How common is it for vape shops to have samples? Or let you try a few drops before purchasing? That's one down-side, I'd hate to order a juice online, just to find out I don't like it. It sort of already happened with a strawberry kiwi flavour I got.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I 100% DIY my juice.
Have since a bit over 1 month after starting vaping.
Was a necessity for me as I have bad reactions to some ingredients in much of the commercial ejuice.
Inflamed throat, mouth and lungs. Combined with total loss of taste. This after just one day or less of vaping the juice that does not work for me.
Takes days to go away.
I can only use less than 1/2 of the flavorings I have bought and tried for the same reasons.
I learned the early warning signs though, so no more full blown impact.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I go to one shop in town, the other one I like just never has inventory except for juice. I buy more of the smaller items. As in wire, maybe a drip tip and see what deals they had. Yes I know I can get these same things cheaper on line but I try and support local as much as possible and they give me good deals. However I have seen them over sell to people.
There is a new one that just opened up. I am going in and checking it out when I have a chance. My question is how do you go into a new shop you haven't been in before? I tend to not say to much and see where they lead the conversation or what they push. I feel I get a pretty good idea how that shop conducts business.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I just ordered a few things online to keep me going with the vaping, but juice is one thing you almost need to buy in person. How common is it for vape shops to have samples? Or let you try a few drops before purchasing? That's one down-side, I'd hate to order a juice online, just to find out I don't like it. It sort of already happened with a strawberry kiwi flavour I got.
This is why I've invested in diy. Figure in less than 3 months my initial investment will have paid for itself and I'll be vaping perfect juice for my gear and taste.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reduced cost is also a factor of DIY.
For less than what I used to spend on cigs for one month ~$150 I can buy all of my vaping consumables for a year.
Wire, wicking, batteries and juice ingredients.
I currently vape around 20-30 ml/day. Figure out the cost if I bought my juice...

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
"ve never been in one. It'd be hard to bite the tongue when encountering some of the morons working there. No offense to morons working elsewhere, of course.
I have walked out of a few feeling good and the guy behind the counter looking real stupid. One of the times I should of kept my mouth shut but he was clearly taking advantage of a young lady. From what I could tell she really wanted to try and stop smoking. That was it. Not have 200 + watts and blow big clouds.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have walked out of a few feeling good and the guy behind the counter looking real stupid. One of the times I should of kept my mouth shut but he was clearly taking advantage of a young lady. From what I could tell she really wanted to try and stop smoking. That was it. Not have 200 + watts and blow big clouds.

No doubt. I believe we all have an obligation to step up when we see anyone being taken advantage of by anyone.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I"ve never been in one. It'd be hard to bite the tongue when encountering some of the morons working there. No offense to morons working elsewhere, of course.
LMAO

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Bit of a shitshow there, yeah? I've been to a few shops like that, but also had a few that were pretty decent. The only B&M I go to anymore is one my buddy works at, he hooks me up, and he's not a total piece of garbage, so it works out. But only for some in-house juice, it's responsible for my third favorite juice(I have since cloned) Online is best for vaping in my opinion. Hate seeing people getting fucked like that without so much as a drink first, but it's not gonna change anytime soon as long as money can be made off the manipulated and the inexperienced. Hope ya find a new shop or something dude :vino:

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm very fortunate. I live near Houston, TX and there's no shortage of vape shops with prices that range from not too bad to feeling like you just spent the night in a jail cell with a very large and horny convict. There's two that I frequent. Both have decent prices and good customer service. Both try to steer the new vaper to what they NEED and not what they may think they want. Sure if the customer is adamant about having the newest Smok device because it's way cool then they will sell it to them. Both shops will go out of their way to help customers even if the customer didn't buy from them. On the flip side, I've walked out of some places feeling like I needed a shower.

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
and this is why I shop online.. Mail goes just about everywhere in the world..

Fasttech (using epacket for shipping method) for just about everything hardware related and there's a few sites I like for juice, I just stock up when they go on sale...

dropin_biking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not thrilled with Fasttech at the moment, but I'm sure it will all work out. Just been waiting for an epacket for 5 weeks now almost.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I'm not thrilled with Fasttech at the moment, but I'm sure it will all work out. Just been waiting for an epacket for 5 weeks now almost.
Fasttech is ok as long as you're not in a hurry. I ordered some blue Crown 3 tanks and coils, 4 Smoant Charon's and 4 IJoy Captains.
Saved some money but had to wait a month to get them. The money saved was worth the wait though.

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Fasttech is ok as long as you're not in a hurry. I ordered some blue Crown 3 tanks and coils, 4 Smoant Charon's and 4 IJoy Captains.
Saved some money but had to wait a month to get them. The money saved was worth the wait though.

Authentic HCigar VT250 250W TC VW APV Box Mod $97.96
https://m.fasttech.com/p/amp/6422500#details

So yeah, not bad prices. I wish I could trust that pricy of a mod to them.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Saved some money but had to wait a month to get them. The money saved was worth the wait though
Another thing vaping has helped me with, patience. Before and at the beginning of vaping I wanted everything NOW and paid for it. After 3 months of that I learned I was just stupid and started to order most of everything from US vendors. I still wanted them fast. Now I order from wherever and have learned to wait.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
All sales final is bad policy...my vape shop eventually started telling me I didn't even need a receipt if I had any problems cause "they new me" and they were nice. Their prices weren't as ridiculous as your store, either. I have seen emarassing vape shops though, selling clone rda's for $40 etc...sorry your shop is crappy. Keep in mind there are all kinds of stores who just push stuff towards wealthy younguns

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I order wire, wick, and most of my tanks came from fasttech :p.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I wasted so much money at my local store. One worse than the other, I mostly order online now, also I mostly stick with US sellers/manufacturers or at least somebody shipping from US. Got real bad experience with Chinese sellers/stores as well. I also try not to jump on the fist deal I see anymore, specially if its my local store. If you think your prices are bad, ask me, I nearly spend $1500-$1800 in first months before discovering online stores for vaping supplies. Would think I have just like the reviewers hundreds of mods, tanks and enjoying vaping nirvana, right?

Nope, while I'm more satisfied now, still not happy and I also got barely any hardware for the price I paid. My problem was, getting my husband as well as myself off cigarettes, which we successfully did, but it defiantly made my local store very happy. Only go there if I need "emergency" things and can't find a online store with express shipping under $22 lol

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Buying $1,800 worth of vaping products within a couple months has nothing to do with bad pricing, and everything to do with a spending habit.

Oh I agree with you, but if you're new to vaping, with the goal of getting off cigarettes and the store owners tell you, that this mod is needed, or this tank etc, its still my fault for not researching but doesn't take away the fact of being overpriced. I'll give you the example what my local charges:

30-50w devices @ around $79 ( we not talking high end DNA chips here)
70-100w devices @ $80-$100
150-200w @ $120-180
220-240w @ $150-250

And this are not kits. Tanks are sold extra and mostly just the "newer" ones stocked, yet it ain't the brand new ones. So a uwell3, would run around $60, fireluke around 75/80 depending if they got a "sale"

Ejuices 30ml @ 15.99, 60ml @ 25.99, 120ml @ 39.99 or 45.99 and again this isn't high end brands, in fact its mostly their store brand or shit like naked etc.

Batteries are sold at $25.99 each and again these are not lg, Samsung, Panasonic etc. Its some weird brand.

List goes on but just to give you an idea.

I spend for 2 beginner mods (under 100w), 2 juices, 2 tanks and 2 batteries a total of nearly 300 bucks, just to get my husband and me started. I did get an discount so i paid something around 255, regardless in comparison I could have gotten all of that for less than $100 online, if I would have known about. I then ran in so many issues, that in the end it was either spending the outrages prices at my local or back to smoking. I picked path 1.

Last edited:

dropin_biking

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So you must have 6 or more mods, 10 tanks, and a lot of e-juice? That's quite the collection for just a couple months in. I wish I had that much money to blow.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
So you must have 6 or more mods, 10 tanks, and a lot of e-juice? That's quite the collection for just a couple months in. I wish I had that much money to blow.

I'm not listing all that for the reason of bragging or to make you feel bad. In fact I was agreeing with you and your store prices, in general it doesn't seem to be abnormal anymore, but becoming the new trend.

And yes I own 3 mods, so does my husband. We got different tanks and these coil packs, different ohm etc. We also got plenty of juice but again I would have gotten that cheaper online, or if the store owner weren't just out for money, might have had less problems, easier time to get off cigarettes and would actually spared myself from the unsatisfying experiences I were going through. I had to do my own research, thanks to this forum I at least did have one spot, I could ask for help. I'm just seeing lots of new vapers, getting screwed over by their locals, and might quit faster then they would if better service and prices were offered. I do give back to the community and help around the forums, as well as giving items I don't need to others, so my spending habit is at least good for that :)

CactusCutie

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
eStorm congrats to you and your hubby for making the switch and in giving up smoking. :)
I'm doing it too. Sorry your initial investment cost you a bundle! Ouch.

Yeah. A pack of smokes is a pack of smokes. Depending on where you live that's a range from $5.00 to $13.00 a day. When it comes to vaping you are making an 'investment' in equipment. The only comparison I can make is to think of vaping akin to having to plunk down money for a whole carton or two of smokes at once.

It doesn't matter if you buy inexpensive start up equipment or pricier stuff you plan on keeping for a long time. By the time you buy it and all the accessories and then the juice it can----and does add up very quickly. More so in your situation since there are two of you quitting smoking and now vaping.

And yeah.....some businesses are just greedy and really need to get their acts together and stop ripping people off. I understand 'retail' and the need to make a profit and to charge people a little more so you can cover expenses and pay your help BUT the operative words are 'a little more'. That's fair and equitable in exchange for personalized help and service or convenience.
When you double or triple the price of something then you're just money grubbing and greedy and I say, :finger:.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
It doesn't matter if you buy inexpensive start up equipment or pricier stuff you plan on keeping for a long time. By the time you buy it and all the accessories and then the juice it can----and does add up very quickly. More so in your situation since there are two of you quitting smoking and now vaping.
Many people do spend a considerable amount at the beginning. But once you get settled with gear you like and learn to make your own juice, you can vape forever for next to nothing. The gear I use was expensive, but it will last a lifetime. The DIY juice I vape costs me less than $50 a year.

CactusCutie

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
:treadmill: Working hard. More money is good money! Already noticed a tremendous uptick since I've cut my analog cig smoking habit in one half to two thirds of what it was!

I don't vape incessantly so the juice really goes far and I'm not running out or having to buy it constantly. I also don't need 90 flavors to keep me happy. I can do one flavor at a time. I just started vaping a few days ago and it looks like a bottle will last me almost a month. I refill my vape pen about 2 times a week. With tax I paid $19.00 and some change for 30 ounces. That doesn't even come out to a dollar a day when you break it down!

Let's see my smoking cost me about $6.50 a day. That's $45.50 a week and $182.00 a month. That's a lot of money!!! Yeah. And I was pissing it away on tobacco cigarettes. What a dumb ass! :crazy:

I'm sure at some point I'll learn the DIY stuff. It is admirable to be able to save so much more money. Lots of things I could be doing with it that's for sure.

Right now though, I'm just still trying to learn vocabulary and vaporizer models and figure out how to post pics on the site and just find out what works for me. :rolleyes: One thing at a time right? Definitely will be asking you lots of questions though when I get ready to take the challenge. I get the feeling it won't be too long as the thought crossed my mind. I like having money. :p

VU Sponsors