Become a Patron!

Underage Vaping!

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hey guys, so i own a small vape shop in Texas and i just had a lady walk in with her son. Its not the first time this happens and as long as the parents are okay with their child being in the store, I have no problem with it either. They came in and the mom started asking me questions about the cheapest mechanical mod i had available, again this was something that happens often were people don't always want to spend to much for vape gear. The problem was when her 13-14 year old son started doing all the talking after i told her options. That's when i noticed that she was there to purchase a mod for her severely under aged son. Needless to say i didn't sell them anything and ask them to leave because i don't sell to minors or to people that might be purchasing for minors.

She ended up getting extremely pissed and treated to shut me down.

What do you guys think. Should i have just sold them the mod and pretend like i didn't notice. Or was i right in what i did?

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's your shop, so you did the right thing. Even online stores have age verification, some more than clicking a box that says 18+. How is she going to get you shut down? Because you wouldn't serve a minor?

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have no clue. She was just a mad redneck mother and i guess she just wanted to have the last word.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey guys, so i own a small vape shop in Texas and i just had a lady walk in with her son. Its not the first time this happens and as long as the parents are okay with their child being in the store, I have no problem with it either. They came in and the mom started asking me questions about the cheapest mechanical mod i had available, again this was something that happens often were people don't always want to spend to much for vape gear. The problem was when her 13-14 year old son started doing all the talking after i told her options. That's when i noticed that she was there to purchase a mod for her severely under aged son. Needless to say i didn't sell them anything and ask them to leave because i don't sell to minors or to people that might be purchasing for minors.

What do you guys think. Should i have just sold them the mod and pretend like i didn't notice. Or was i right in what i did?

You have to be REALLY careful in situations like that, local authorities are just itching to shut down vape shops with underage plants/buyers. Kick her ass out of the store and tell her never to come back. Take her license plate # down and if you have a security camera, copy the footage of her and her son in the store and put it on a thumb drive just in case.

VapeMan12

Member For 4 Years
Sounded like you did the right thing. However If i was her I would have left son at home and just came and got what i wanted and left.
Kinda like when you see young teens with someone in the store buying beer or cigs and the cashier saying ur buying for them aren't you? and they say no this is for me and then they say sorry not selling to you, they have the right not to sell to anyone they don't want to... next thing you know if you did sell to the mom for the son you would be shut down for selling to a minor

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Our local laws state that any store that sells vaping gear must be restricted to no one under 18 allowed in store - so even smoke shops that now carry refillable ecigs have to disallow everyone under 18, regardless of whether accompanied by a parent or not. Though most place don't enforce it, many do. I applaud the ones upholding the law as its stands. Heck one area shop has a childrens "lounge" clearly against state policies. I'd rather be proofed every time I enter a shop if it means we keep our freedom to vape, than to have shops that don't care about the law or advocacy.

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Our local laws state that any store that sells vaping gear must be restricted to no one under 18 allowed in store - so even smoke shops that now carry refillable ecigs have to disallow everyone under 18, regardless of whether accompanied by a parent or not. Though most place don't enforce it, many do. I applaud the ones upholding the law as its stands. Heck one area shop has a childrens "lounge" clearly against state policies. I'd rather be proofed every time I enter a shop if it means we keep our freedom to vape, than to have shops that don't care about the law or advocacy.
Oh i completely agree. There have been one or two shops around my area that did sell to minors. But luckily we as a community have been able to self regulate and I know that at least one of the shop is closed now, not to sure about the other one. I know that their argument for doing it was that there is no law in the books yet and that they didn't sell liquid with nicotine to the minors.

And local law here has the same policy about head shops and tobacco shops. Not for vape shops though, and its not like people are showing up all the time with kids here.

VapeMan12

Member For 4 Years
Maybe All vape shops need a sign that says No one under 18 allowed.. I know parents have kids and sometimes kids are with parents, they don't have sitters and stuff but i mean It would make me kinda nervous for underage teens in my vape shop if i had one..

robtest

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Maybe All vape shops need a sign that says No one under 18 allowed.. I know parents have kids and sometimes kids are with parents, they don't have sitters and stuff but i mean It would make me kinda nervous for underage teens in my vape shop if i had one..

Most of the ones around me have this sign... A couple of the bigger stores actually card me, which kinda makes me laugh as I am 53 now... But policies are policies, so I understand... Last thing I want is some snot nosed kid ruining my access to local mods, ejuice and supplies...

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The one shop I help out at has a NO ONE UNDER 18 sign on the door, not even if its a toddler, on mom's hip. No means NO. There's another shop I help out at that has a No one under 18 without a parent, and we won't sell to anyone who appears to be getting it for their teenager, and most of the kids brought in are in the 18 month - 5 years old age range, the usual common thread in those cases where the kid is mobile is that the parental figure sets the kid down to pick something up or use the flavor bar and there's no control for the kid they're no longer paying attention to. But we have one lady who comes in who has a kid in tow, who knows we have a tv/lounge area at the one store, and she brings the kid in, sits the kid down in front of the tv and the kid stays put for the 5 minutes she's there getting her juice or whatever. But she is clearly the exception.

The other shop has staff that know almost nothing about mods, or advanced vaping gear, everything is ego-style and the few VV/VW stuff they sell, no clue where their juice is made or any of the ingredients as I've asked that in the past, and I got "huh what?" Just frightening - and looking now they're 'sponsored' by the city's chamber of commerce - but its been a couple months since I've gone in. I wonder if they've improved things.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have 3 kids. 24, 21, and 8. The 21yo smokes stinkies the 24 pleads the 5th. I started at 16. I don't want any of us to smoke. I have mixed feelings about this, only in that IF a minor IS going to do SOMETHING vapor is the best option. I'd rather they blew clouds of fruit flavor than begin a habit that does so much damage.
Should there be age restrictions? Yes. Should a parent be able to provide an alternative to cigarettes? I'm not sure.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I agree that you did the right thing, I do find it a bit prejudice to vapers that in some states a minor accompanied by an adult can't enter a vape shop but can a liquor store.

aussie

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
WTG of course it was the right thing to do she would have been much more likely to shut you down by buying it js

RichS

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You did the right thing, if she wanted to buy for her kid that is under age then she should have left him at home and given it to him at the house, besides you may have just saved yourself from being set-up, here in Arizona the police will higher under age kids to go into places to try and buy cigarettes and alcohol and bust the store if they sell to them.

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You did the right thing, if she wanted to buy for her kid that is under age then she should have left him at home and given it to him at the house, besides you may have just saved yourself from being set-up, here in Arizona the police will higher under age kids to go into places to try and buy cigarettes and alcohol and bust the store if they sell to them.
The police have done things like that here as well. Although that wasn't the reason why i asked them to leave it was just a moral issue.

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Im kinda torn with underage vapers for one reason.. Many are underage smokers. Do we turn them away and let them continue to smoke or try to get them to vape - at least its a healthier alternative. Its a very touchy situation.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Im kinda torn with underage vapers for one reason.. Many are underage smokers. Do we turn them away and let them continue to smoke or try to get them to vape - at least its a healthier alternative. Its a very touchy situation.

exactly what i was going to say bc i started when i was young 14-15 and that led to me smoking for 8 years.. sticky situation

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Very touchy situation.

But in the end you did the right thing.

Put a sign up where a blind person with a cane can't miss it with the statment that you have the right to refuse anyone service for any reason.

That should cover your Ars'e!

PT Rampy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I started on cancer sticks at 13, but those were different times. If a minor is going to smoke, wouldn't vaping be less harmful?

Needless to say it is a moral issue I am glad I do not have to make. That being said I firmly believe you made the right decision and should be commended for taking a stand for a moral code and not the almighty buck.

Good job, you should never regret doing the right thing!

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I understand that. But vaping being under the microscope that is in right now doing any thing to show we want minors to vape would be a HUGE downfall if you ask me.

bigmooseindiana

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

What you did was the RIGHT thing, I believe that if you're underage you do not need to bevapin g ..This but this i s my opinion and selling tosome on e that buying for a minor has just as bad ainpac t on thevapin g community, you have the right to sell to who you want,now if the authorties come in and say something you have a leg to stand on showing how your company do not sell to minors ,proud of the way youstayed your ground .

VapingCuban

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You did the right thing. It's your business and your in an industry that has all eyes on us now. I agree with Zamazam. Get yourself some good quality security cameras cause you'll never know when you'll need it. Whether it be a case like this or some asshole trying to steal your shit which I've seen a lot lately.

bigmooseindiana

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Joe i agree it safer, but I feel it's a way to show that a light business , will not sell to a minor, now if there was a consent form for them to sign , stating that they approve of sale only with e Liquid at 0 mg nic then i may not have a problem and that any time they come in there parent has to come in and buy it .

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think underage vaping should be allowed (within reason) with parents consent. The question is what is within reason? It is easy enough to say 16-18 ok to keep them off cigarettes but where do you draw the line? We all know some people should not even be parents just watch the news on any given day. So how young is too young?

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
where i live, we have less than 40, maybe 50 vape shops in the entire state..
most of the vendors here i visit with, have game rooms for the kids..
i do take my son with me, everywhere, (age 14) and he understands about vaping and has been my best supporter..
will he vape later? i doubt it.

do you sell to minors? that is a tough call. zero nic, there is no stopping them. if they dont buy it direct, they will send someone else in to buy..

ClaireW

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wtg! To the OP

vaping one day at a time

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Would it be better for under 18 to Vape than smoke? Yes. Should we allow it? No. This new industry is saving lives and creating jobs. The people who are against vaping only have " But what about the children" argument. I don't want to lose what we all have gained over the years. Safe devices to choose from, DIY e-liquid with any flavor I can think of....The shop owner did the right thing not only for the moral issue but what if it was a set up and he did the wrong thing? That story would make the news and his businesses would suffer as well as OUR goals to keep our freedom to Vape as we are now. I have always told people this industry industry doesn't and will never market or sell to minors. I hope my statement remains true.

VapeMan12

Member For 4 Years
Kids smoke, I grew up with friends who smoked and there parents were fine with it and let them, 15-17 yr olds, there parents got there ciggs for them at the store and brought them home, there is no reason to be letting the cashier at the store know your giving them to underage teens. But most people today do not care, when i worked at DG I seen adults coming in and the other cashiers selling cigs to the adults with the teens right next to them telling them what cigs they wanted. I never would sell to them I am sure if they wanted me to and i said no i would lost my job but oh well I would rather loose my job over it then sell to underage. just stay int he car and don't let everyone know what your doing, stores now all have camera, there not really there watching the customers there more there to watch the workers to see what there doing and not doing.
I do not have kids but if i ever did and I found out they were smoking i would say No your not doing that, stay here till I get back, and I would drive to a vape shop and buy everything to last them for a while and say here do this instead, cause guess what teens are going to do what they like.

Of course I am a vaper, never a smoker i enjoy the flavors and vape 0 nic, so i could just set them up with something I had already, but would hope since i do vape they would ask me about vaping rather then smoking. I sure wish my parents vaped rather then smoked when i was growing up. hated smelling there smoke growing up and older i got the worse it bothered me.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here I am telling folks this industry doesn't market towards minors and then I see a Transformer mod. In my opinion something like this will add fuel to the fire. I'm sure its a great device but I can imagine kids recognizing to transformer logo on it with out realizing what it is and trying to play with it. I don't know, just sayin

bigmooseindiana

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Here I am telling folks this industry doesn't market towards minors and then I see a Transformer mod. In my opinion something like this will add fuel to the fire. I'm sure its a great device but I can imagine kids recognizing to transformer logo on it with out realizing what it is and trying to play with it. I don't know, just sayin

i know when i seen thisthought the same thing.

Merrick92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always find this type of discussion kind of funny. You have so many left wing antz screaming about trying to get kids hooked on tobacco with ecigs, yet these are the same assholes who scream give your kids condoms; they're gonna screw each others brains out anyway, let's make it safer for them. Seems quite hypocritical IMO.
That being said, I applaud your decision to toss her out of the store, if only to protect your own ass. Let her threaten you all she wants,I'm sure the local authorities would side with you on that decision.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always find this type of discussion kind of funny. You have so many left wing antz screaming about trying to get kids hooked on tobacco with ecigs, yet these are the same assholes who scream give your kids condoms; they're gonna screw each others brains out anyway, let's make it safer for them. Seems quite hypocritical IMO.
That being said, I applaud your decision to toss her out of the store, if only to protect your own ass. Let her threaten you all she wants,I'm sure the local authorities would side with you on that decision.
What about ANTZ makes them left-wing? There is nothing intrinsically progressive about that stance. In fact it seems hyper-conservative to me.

Merrick92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I may have put to much an emphasis on that, but from what I have seen in the news and internet, most of the political opponents of ecigs seem to be democrats. Again, just my opinion only. But I do apologize to my fellow vapors who also happen to be Liberals as well.

Kang

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like some covert sting operation haha. You did the right thing for sure. Good on you bud!

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In the early nineties i worked at a liquor store in Florida. The ATF used to regularly send in 17 year old dudes with real, big bushy mountain-man beards to try to trap us into selling alcohol and/or tobacco to them. They got a newbie in my store who had just started, and she lost her job and had to pay a hefty fine herself. That kind of shit happens. So far, i think only local government has been passing laws, so i'm sure it's still a legal gray area in many places. You can't be too careful.

Having said that, i'm definitely with VaporJoes in that it is sad that teens who smoke can't switch to vaping easily. Hopefully their older siblings or somebody can help them out - but without being super obvious about it and stupidly bringing them into B&M shoppes. (I still can't believe that idiot mother!)

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Maybe you should have a sign that states No one under the age of ## (your state laws) allowed in this store PERIOD, just like bars do regardless if your with a adult or not.

Hookah bars prominently displayed signs banning anyone under 18 from entering.
25081368-vector-illustration-of-web-buttons-for-age-restriction.jpg

First off, I work part time at a shop and everyone gets carded. If a group of people come in and one doesn't have an id, they all get the boot. Parents with kids is a bit different. If they are young I see no problem, beats leaving them in the car...

And, I want that transformers mod!!! I grew up with the show so it's not just marketing for kids! Old nerds want nerdy stuff too

Dj Xy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You made the right call, I don't think some parents understand that vaping is not some fad and if they wouldn't supply there kids with stinkies then they shouldn't supply the with vape gear.
I was in a shop once where they said nothing to a parent that was letting there kid try the samples (not a teenager even) and that and the owner being uneducated on the products he was selling made me never go back there again.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was in a shop once where they said nothing to a parent that was letting there kid try the samples (not a teenager even) and that and the owner being uneducated on the products he was selling made me never go back there again.
Whoa, that is cray! Wtf is wrong with people?!

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
[E="AlmityPunx, post: 21616, member: 3214"]First off, I work part time at a shop and everyone gets carded. If a group of people come in and one doesn't have an id, they all get the boot. Parents with kids is a bit different. If they are young I see no problem, beats leaving them in the car...

And, I want that transformers mod!!! I grew up with the show so it's not just marketing for kids! Old nerds want nerdy stuff too[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong ,I'm a 46 nerd myself. My point is , with vaping getting more popular and government getting ready to implement laws "To Save The Children" ,I just think at this point in the fight to protect our freedom to Vape we always have to consider what the other side thinks and how they will react.

TygerTyger

Official Lurker
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I totally agree, Joe. I'd much rather see a teen vaping than smoking. However, that in no way means that I think the strict 18+ rules that responsible vendors adhere to should be relaxed. This *is* a touchy subject and I believe the decision belongs solely in the home. The trouble is that if a parent sees fit to outfit their kid, and that kid is seen vaping in public, it is unlikely that regulators or dissenters will pause to ask how or why that underage vaper was supplied. It's more likely that they will simply raise the battle cry to restrict and regulate. My personal stance is that what a parent chooses to allow for the good of their children should be up to them, however, they need to make those decisions in a way that protects all of us. After all, if we end up restricted, so do they... everyone loses.

As to brick and mortars with no minors policies, I applaud you. Better safe than sorry. On the other hand however, I'm the mom of a toddler and I can walk into any liquor store and purchase a bottle of wine with my boy in tow. Do I send him in to get it for me? No. Do I share with him? No. Do I even do that often? Emphatically, no. But I have no option but to take him with me wherever I go at this time, so where he isn't allowed, you won't find me either. It's a tough thing single parents without support have to face. Do I cry foul because I basically can't visit a brick and mortar? No. Again, better safe than sorry, and I would sooner see responsible stores thrive and grow, even if it means I can't go in.

I recently did a YouTube search on the GWAR juice from MVP and I found a very disturbing video. It was a channel by to kids maybe 12 to 14 and they were reviewing juice and mods and it just sickened me. They were trying to get MBV and other companies to send them free vaping gear to review. I alerted youtube and luckily they removed all 10 videos, I get the getting them off analogs but that is too much with all the FDA problems we are having right now.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Like others have posted, you did the right thing. You have to protect your business and also the industry. Should the parent have the right to allow the kid to vape instead of smoking? I'd have to say yes. But, that doesn't mean that you, the business owner, should condone it or allow the sale. Plus, there's many people out there that don't understand that ecigs (normally) contain nicotine. That parent could very well have been one of those people and her kid was playing her. Even if she did know, though, ecigs aren't toys, aren't for kids, and if she wanted her kid to be using them, she should have come in alone.

On a similar subject, I was in a local B&M the other day because they had a sign up saying they had 32mg eliquid (most in my town 24mg max and one shop only goes up to 18mg) and was shocked to find that they did not package their liquid in bottles with child-resistant caps, did not have any sort of warning label on the bottles, and they were using popcorn sacks to put the customer purchases in. Let's see, how can we make these bottles of high strength nicotine in easy open bottles even more enticing to toddlers? I know, let's use popcorn sacks! *shaking head* Between that shop, another local shop that has tons of trademark violations, and another one that has no warning labels and is openly marketing ecigs as a way to stop smoking... *sigh*

Cessnapix

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sounds like some covert sting operation haha. You did the right thing for sure. Good on you bud!

Same thing that came across my mind

If you would have sold them something your name and the whole industry could have been plasted across the front page of your local newspaper the next day. You don't know who these people really were.

You have to obey the law that is it. There are no feelings and grey areas.

That being said;
I would also rather see them vaping. But the law is the law, and the industry is under a magnifying glass, and i dont want my rights being infringed.

Celcius666

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
for you, great to hear that you did the right thing. I will never ever sell anything to a person under 18, not even to the parents. I'm glad to hear that there are some owners and employees that are following the law and not make it harder for us vapers then all ready is.

I have 3 kids. 24, 21, and 8. The 21yo smokes stinkies the 24 pleads the 5th. I started at 16. I don't want any of us to smoke. I have mixed feelings about this, only in that IF a minor IS going to do SOMETHING vapor is the best option. I'd rather they blew clouds of fruit flavor than begin a habit that does so much damage.
Should there be age restrictions? Yes. Should a parent be able to provide an alternative to cigarettes? I'm not sure.
Here is how I look at it. I see all these restrictions put on things for minor. What I see is kids smoking getting them from friends or off the ground. What I see is that NOTHING is really being done to help a kid stop smoking. They encourage adults to stop they come out with patches, gums, ecigs, vapors, etc. So what about the kids???? A parent can talk about how bad it is. How hard it is to quit. Put restrictions on the kids and so forth. What I am hearing is people saying its ok for minors to smoke the real thing. That until they are 18 they can not be helped to stop smoking. I being a parent who found out that her 11 yr old was smoking and tried everything under the blue moon to help him stop. He is now 14 yrs and obviously nothing worked because he is still smoking!! One of the moms found out about him smoking and she bought one of these vap cigs for him (0mg) told him to please smoke that around her. Well he got started on it and I am happy to say that Since he start vaps he hasnt pick up one real smoke. So I am totally for the vapors. I for one think its great to be able to buy them with 0 nicotine in them. I hear talk about how they what to pass a law to get rid of the flavored vaps because they don't want to encourage the kids to smoke. UM HELLO have you gone into stores in the last 30 years or have certain political people had their heads buried? Lets see they have bubblegum cigars, they have candy cigs, they have shredded gum in a package like that of red man chew. I mean candy forms were around before flavored vaps. Just don't see their point on that at all. Here is a safe way for kids who smoke to quit. As adults who smoke we know how hard it is to overcome addictions but for kids they dont know. And the goverment wants to take away something that can help smoking kids stop. So I think that they should be able to have these 0mg vaps to help them. Yes I for one would go into any vapor store and provide something to my kid since I know it is keeping him away from tobacco. I know alot will probly frown on this providing for a child but you tell me what other ways there is if nothing else works.

VU Sponsors