Become a Patron!

Uhmm about making coil(s) and cleaning.

ItsHaiku

Member For 4 Years
Hey all, I only have few questions to ask.

When using TC or Wattage Mode, is it better to use spaced coils or unspaced coils?

When the coil(s) gunks up, how do u guys clean your SS coil(s)?

So my friend has an ultrasonic cleaner, if I borrow his USC, can I use that to clean gunk up coils and pre built coils?

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, for question #1:

With spaced coils it is easy to get them burning evenly, so I would personally say that for new builders, spaced coils are great to start with. I started with spaced coils myself.

Question #2:

Yes you can clean gunked up coils easily. No USC needed for this either. Just pull out your cotton and dry burn them. This is a proven and easy method.

Question #3:

As I started above, no USC needed for coil gunk removal. I do recommend getting one to clean your drippers and tanks though. It is well worth the money.

I hope this is helpful and I'm sure that others will chime in as well.

Lastly, welcome to VU. Glad to have you here.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Doesn't matter if you space them or not unless you're using ni200 which is a horrible choice.

Dry burn stainless but like everything else don't just nuke it. Burn through and scrape then repeat.

USC is great for color shots and cleaning up attys though.

A USC would make no improvement on a coil after it's been dry burned.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My coils are usually 26g or 28g ss316L with a simple twist. Preferably spaced, just seems to work better for me. Being twisted there's already a slight amount of space, the wraps don't wind super tight or close together like they would with a single strand. There's a bit of natural spacing from the twists bumping against one another, then I spread them apart just a little.

Agree with whiteowl84 and midknight420, no real special cleaning here. I usually just pulse/dry fire them (with the old wick removed) to burn off any gunk. Then I usually rinse under water or even use a little dish soap (just make sure to rinse really well). By rinsing/washing I mean while still mounted to the deck and rinsing out air holes and things. Sometimes just dry firing causes little flecks of burnt gunk/juice to collect on the deck and I'd rather not have it swirling in my juice. No usc though.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some people say TC works best on spaced. ... some say spaced is better for flavor and contact better for clouds. Some say the opposite.

Imo you need nothing more clean vaper stuff than dish soap some Hot water and Dull red glowing dry burns. There no gadgets beyond an atomizer and mod and good ohm meter required for vaping.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Imo you only need an ultra sonic cleaner if you are cleaning things you can't fully disassemble. .... like coil heads... Beyond that hot water and a soft brush will do just as well.

Some people like having toys.. so they buy all kinds of gadgets to satisfy the desire......

I like spaced coil better than contact.. I think they stay clean longer and give better flavor and less wick sensitive and less likely to burn the wick and are easier to build. Unless your doing a multi wire coil they don't hot spot. Simple low wattage pulsing to get even burn is all you might need.

bogie1989

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For cleaning I just remove cotton pulse my coils till zero production at 50watts blowing on them between pulses then wet the coils with water pulse and repeat till the gunk is gone works the same way as boiling coils but without removing them from deck

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For cleaning I just remove cotton pulse my coils till zero production at 50watts blowing on them between pulses then wet the coils with water pulse and repeat till the gunk is gone works the same way as boiling coils but without removing them from deck

I do the same... only at 5 to 10 watts instead......

Coils only need to get red hot if you want to change their temper.......gunk burns away at temps just a hair hotter than normal vaping temps.

bogie1989

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My norm is 120 watts and I don't let them glow at all just enough to evaporated the water that's all

bogie1989

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My like me some warm vape at 120ws woot yum yum lol

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My norm is 120 watts and I don't let them glow at all just enough to evaporated the water that's all

Makes sense I guess... the 5 to 10 watts i use is the same 50% RANGE I USE.... you range is just higher. Point I was making is you don't need to feed a ton of wattage to dry burn.. but feeding a 100 plus watt build 50 watts isn't feeding the build a lot of power. point being to use the least amount of heat you can to do the job.

bogie1989

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Makes sense I guess... the 5 to 10 watts i use is the same 50% RANGE I USE.... you range is just higher. Point I was making is you don't need to feed a ton of wattage to dry burn.. but feeding a 100 plus watt build 50 watts isn't feeding the build a lot of power. point being to use the least amount of heat you can to do the job.

Yup actually your the first person to say that to me just figured was common sense no cotton no juice lower the wattage but then again I'm weird how I think

Wildberries59

Member For 3 Years
Ok, for question #1:

With spaced coils it is easy to get them burning evenly, so I would personally say that for new builders, spaced coils are great to start with. I started with spaced coils myself.

Question #2:

Yes you can clean gunked up coils easily. No USC needed for this either. Just pull out your cotton and dry burn them. This is a proven and easy method.

Question #3:

As I started above, no USC needed for coil gunk removal. I do recommend getting one to clean your drippers and tanks though. It is well worth the money.

I hope this is helpful and I'm sure that others will chime in as well.

Lastly, welcome to VU. Glad to have you here.

Do you still need to take the orings off the rdas to run them through the ultrasonic cleaner?

Sent from my VS425 using Tapatalk

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From what I know, you don't have to, but can't hurt either.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yup actually your the first person to say that to me just figured was common sense no cotton no juice lower the wattage but then again I'm weird how I think

Problem is most of us learn what dryburning looks like via videos...... Fact is you dont need to get coils as hot as they appear in vids... You only need enough heat to burn off the gunk...... That will happen actually before the coil get RED Hot...... Whe i dry burn I do it to a dull glow. Like get in a dark room or closet. Hit fire button when you see any color thats enough, release, wait....blow strum rinse (pick one), repeat. When coil is clean rewick and vape. Shouldn't take more than a minute or 3. Maybe 5 if you have a tricky wicking atty.

bogie1989

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I do the same thing even when I make new coils get into a dark room

VU Sponsors