Become a Patron!

UD Balrog stock coil rebuild (easy)

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Step by step tutorial on how to rebuild the UD Balrog stock coil heads.
Let's begin.

So start by taking you coil head and popping out the center pin in the base.
3c8ee84a3b7933005a3dbb3d29e101b6.jpg

Next pop out the plastic insulator. (I had to use plyers with a little tug it popped right out.)
91e6f1a69c6c1dc1030c118e7b6a30f6.jpg

Pull out the old coil and cotton. Then from the top take something a push the metal mesh screen out through the bottom of the coil head.
a3903f789fb5c0de7954817a36346521.jpg

Now you have a empty coil head and we are ready to begin making a coil..
Make any coil you can fit in the head, 3mm I'd fits best and keep in mind this isn't a huge tank and I wouldn't use any really big wire. Here I used 3x twisted 36g (although this ohmed out way to high for me, you get the idea.) Here's a pic of my coil.
a7b5150cca57d939a1e57ce686770c0b.jpg

So next we have to wick the coil. Take a thin piece of cotton and wrap it around the coil the first wrap is going to go under the long lead coming from the top of your coil and all the rest just wrap over the lead. (This prevents the lead from shorting out on the coil). Three maybe 4 wraps around the coil is plenty, you still want to be able to fit it in the coil head pretty easily. After you get it all wicked up juice your cotton up and this helps hold the wick in place and slide into your coil head easily.
36eaafceec93c9e887fe34a46e996e72.jpg

Now your going to insert your coil into the coil head through the bottom of the coil head, make sure to keep your 3mm tool you used to wrap your coil inserted in your coil to prevent deformations.
c12f5fa25767162018b9f3cd645f7e23.jpg

e1577907c6b3d291cf139a446416c56b.jpg

Next keep your tool in your coil and pack some cotton around the top of the coil.
4c86187582dde1e792437efd257287d9.jpg

Now your ready to install your plastic insulator. One lead goes on the outside of the insulator and the other on the inside.
68817960a1acca81158e1c445d32743a.jpg

Clip your leads as close to the coil head as you can.. (if they are not clipped close enough they will short out) is a pic of how close your lead should be cut. I still haven't cut the other one.
1f6a5d9b3e9ccaa8f17f3353635dbc83.jpg

Now take you center pin install it and clip your other lead as close as you can.
5865bafc9185ebe3f65619ccf505cc5a.jpg

All done! This is how it should look.
f7363dcfbc4b7210c12739b17e5a8e2f.jpg

Hope you enjoyed! Any questions feel free to ask.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah only way this will work is a vertical build.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When you packed the cotton around the top after the coil was in, did you just keep it around the top or did you push it down around the sides as well?

Thanks! Vape on

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I pushed it down a little but I did a good job getting the right amount of cotton around the coil so I dint have to pack it down. But if you have loose space around your your coil you can push it down.. don't pack it tight or it won't wick correctly.

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I made one. I think. I've yet to have the need to change the coil that's in the tank, so I'll update when I know more. IF it actually works, lol.
I'm sure it will work fine :)

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I do hope so, but if it doesn't, I'll know I gave it a try, and where to go from there. Hopefully, they'll look better from here, LOL.
I'd say you did pretty good cause the first time I rebuilt a tank coil I wanted to pull my hair out.. but after you get the hang of it it's pretty easy..

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm going to try it in a few days. My 1.8 shit the bed today after only 3.5 days I'm getting new juice tomorrow and going to try the .5 and see what this whole sub ohm thing is about...lol

Thanks! Vape on

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'M STILL on the same coil I started with, the 0.5 ohm. Still tastes great, still giving great vapor. I attempted a rebuild of the Ni coil, so I'll give it a shot one of these days.

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mine is still going strong aswell. And it pushes up to 60 watts fine.. I'm drilling out my ni200 juice channels and putting a fused Clapton in it.. I'll keep you posted on how it works out.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@skiibo4200
How's the flavor with that 3mm coil? I just broke down the 1.8 and it's a 2.4 in that one and the insulator is rubber not hard plastic. 100% easier to deal with

Thanks! Vape on

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh that's awsome that rubber insulator will make builds a lot easier. And the flavor is better then then original coils, Idk if it's cause I removed the screen mesh material or the bigger ID. But it taste better.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Usually how long does it take for the cotton taste to go away and start tasting the juice? I don't think it's dry hitting because there is good vapor and the cotton on top looks saturated. Just no flavor

Thanks! Vape on

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Usually how long does it take for the cotton taste to go away and start tasting the juice? I don't think it's dry hitting because there is good vapor and the cotton on top looks saturated. Just no flavor

Thanks! Vape on
All depends on the build but it shouldn't take more then a few pulls. But best flavor will come after about 1 tank has been run through it.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've got about 1/4 of a tank gone and it still tastes bad. I'm not sure tho if it's getting better or if I'm getting used to it...lol
There's not what I call much cotton in there at all. 1.5 - 2 wraps on a 2.4mm coil but I'm no expert. It slid in nice with out much room left around it. There lots of vapor but the taste is off. Usually with the stock coils I've noticed juice in the pin in the bottom of the coil but none with this one but the cotton looks wet all the time. I'll just have to wait it out I guess.
I trashed a nautilus build because I was comparing the taste to the stock coils. They taste pretty good almost right away where as the ones I built never did taste great. I guess I didn't wait long enough

Thanks! Vape on

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'll be trying out my coil as soon as this tank is closer to done. I've been fairly impressed with the stock coils to last 2 weeks. I hope, I hope, I hope my build works! I still have the 1.8 if it doesn't.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'll be trying out my coil as soon as this tank is closer to done. I've been fairly impressed with the stock coils to last 2 weeks. I hope, I hope, I hope my build works! I still have the 1.8 if it doesn't.
That 1.8 was amazing but mine quit after 3 days ish. In its defense I was vaping a very dark, sweet juice.
I had a couple coils come up as shorted that I built. I don't know why because they all looked pretty much the same.

Thanks! Vape on

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@skiibo4200
When you say a thin piece of cotton at 3 - 4 wraps. How thin is thin?

Thanks! Vape on

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
All I can think is your juice isn't quite wicking well enough.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've got about 1/4 of a tank gone and it still tastes bad. I'm not sure tho if it's getting better or if I'm getting used to it...lol
There's not what I call much cotton in there at all. 1.5 - 2 wraps on a 2.4mm coil but I'm no expert. It slid in nice with out much room left around it. There lots of vapor but the taste is off. Usually with the stock coils I've noticed juice in the pin in the bottom of the coil but none with this one but the cotton looks wet all the time. I'll just have to wait it out I guess.
I trashed a nautilus build because I was comparing the taste to the stock coils. They taste pretty good almost right away where as the ones I built never did taste great. I guess I didn't wait long enough

Thanks! Vape on
It could be the cotton picked up the oils from your hands. My aqua fx used a vertical cotton build and if I didn't was my hands really good the flavor was bad. (I mean wash and don't touch anything but the cotton at first)

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That 1.8 was amazing but mine quit after 3 days ish. In its defense I was vaping a very dark, sweet juice.
I had a couple coils come up as shorted that I built. I don't know why because they all looked pretty much the same.

Thanks! Vape on
You want to make sure your leads are clipped very close to the pin and base of the coil head. You shouldn't be able to see them or they will short out. Also make sure you wrap your THIN piece of cotton under the long lead the first wrap and the rest over. Make sure your whole coil is coverd by cotton to prevent shorts on the coil head.

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It could be the cotton picked up the oils from your hands. My aqua fx used a vertical cotton build and if I didn't was my hands really good the flavor was bad. (I mean wash and don't touch anything but the cotton at first)

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk
This is very true thanks for the input dre. I should have put this in my tutorial.

Reactions: dre

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks everyone! I thought that top piece was no good. On YouTube they usually throw it out.

Thanks! Vape on

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
OK, update... I overdid it with the cotton, but hey! My vertical coil was successful! Will try again, there's hope.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's the part I find the hardest. Getting that damned cotton

Thanks! Vape on

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Did you do a spaced coil?

Thanks! Vape on

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
By George I think I got it! My coil could have done with a half wrap or so less but that's the easy part. I think I finally got the wicking right! It's a little early to know for sure yet but I'm showing 1.9ohm and at 15.2W it's pretty good so far! Fingers crossed!

Thanks! Vape on

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Congrats guys.. little tweaking here and their and they will be perfect.. also if you juice up your cotton it makes it easier to wrap tight and slide in your coil head.. wash your hands first tho.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think I got just a bit too much cotton. It dries out after 2-3 puffs. I'm gonna try a 2.5mm coil with the same amount of cotton next and I think that will work

Thanks! Vape on

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So, it didn't go as well as I had planned. This is the coil I normally build. 28g kanthal varies in diameter and number of wraps but usually between 1.7 and 1.9.
0730f1e9e37f36aa27b8b906a585bf17.jpg

41a6c8b7daf0bd6a6a5ec4c80f9cee7d.jpg

Is there something I'm doing wrong? On this level? When I go to wick it I'll take some pictures of that and ask more later but it's no good to wick if the base is wrong.

Thanks! Vape on

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I would of done about 3 wraps less but it looks fine to me, you cotton should be tight but not too tight, you need that cotton not to be strained or it wont wick or hold juice well and dry out quick.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would of done about 3 wraps less but it looks fine to me, you cotton should be tight but not too tight, you need that cotton not to be strained or it wont wick or hold juice well and dry out quick.
Tight how? On the coil, in the housing or both? When I take the drip tip off and look down into the one I have in there now I can kind of see a little cotton poking through the wraps. I'm guessing that I wrapped it too tight on the coil and had too much in the housing in general?

Thanks! Vape on

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Tight how? On the coil, in the housing or both? When I take the drip tip off and look down into the one I have in there now I can kind of see a little cotton poking through the wraps. I'm guessing that I wrapped it too tight on the coil and had too much in the housing in general?

Thanks! Vape on
Yes, wrapped too tight onto the coil, it needs to be secure but the cotton shouldnt have and REAL pressure on the coil. Would a sponge hold water if pulled around something tight or would it hold water better just sitting on something?

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you burn the cotton on a couple builds in a row, is it possible to put a bad taste onto the juice that's in the tank?

Thanks! Vape on

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Not if your replacing your cotton or unless when you remove the wick theres still fibers on your coils.Make sure when you remove the cotton you pulse the coils until they glow and burn all the crap off of them and then let them cool and replace the cotton. Should be all good afterwards.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just wrap another coil. I haven't bothered trying to fit that little coil back in that housing after clipping the leads short enough.
I thought I had a good one earlier, but I was getting a bad taste. I had a not so good coil in for a longer time than I should have last night and this morning before replacing it with said good coil. I was blaming the juice being turned bad from the coil so I wrapped another one. when I took out the one I thought was good after using it for a while, I was right. It was nicely saturated and not one bit dark anywhere. That's why I blamed the juice.

Thanks! Vape on

VU Sponsors