Become a Patron!

Two issues I need help with

Ohmniscient

Member For 1 Year
So two of the mods I’ve acquired have had some issues. First up is my DotSquonk; The wiring that held the terminal that connect to the negative side of the battery became faulty causing the device to continue firing my coils even after I released the switch. Well it completely burned out the coils, the cotton, and the drip tip which actually completely melted into the RDA. It must have continued firing just sitting on my nightstand when I fell asleep. The device is completely disassembled aside from the 510 & switch. I plan on putting a new switch and everything in it myself, but I can’t seem to get the 510 connector to budge or unscrew. Not sure if it got slightly melted together? I need tips on how I can remove all the rest of the internals. It doesn’t matter if it gets damaged, as everything will be replaced eventually. I’ve thought of maybe using a thin drill bit to drill into the 510 so I can get leverage to twist it out?

My second issue is a bit more important. My basilisk took a nasty tumble, and now the entire screen poops right out unless held in place with a band or something. I want to know what my possibilities are with using this device or perhaps just removing the board, and placing it in another box or even a Hammond enclosure, or are these mods pretty much just gonna end up as garbage or unusable?

25e26942cc8a77fdffc96d1129aecb26.jpg

80b4a45329f837d21b7124a04927c137.jpg

Sent from inside a very cloudy room off my iPhone

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Epoxy resin will mend epoxy resin if you can get everything lined up correctly but it will always feel a bit weird in the hand and be shiny as hell until it starts getting scratched up or exposed to UV.

You could glue the broken bits back in and when the glue sets, sand it smooth, Tape all of your openings up as well as top and bottom, then do light pours of epoxy resin over the entire outer shell until it has enough rigid strength to support use. This will require some fitment sanding to get everything back into place and assumes you have worked with epoxy or can follow directions enough to work with epoxy. Or you could just tape and glue the shit out of it and go for broke.

If I were in your position. I would buy a new mod to use now, salvage the guts out this one and then build a new cavity out of wood for it.

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMO it’s not worth salvaging. If it keeps firing, I would think the switch or board is faulty.. real dangerous stuff with an unreliable mod.

Ohmniscient

Member For 1 Year
IMO it’s not worth salvaging. If it keeps firing, I would think the switch or board is faulty.. real dangerous stuff with an unreliable mod.

The DotSquonk is what was having the firing issue, which is mechanical. And the reason it was arcing is in the pic below. Somehow the wiring got frayed and I suppose was touching a piece of the mod. In the picture that’s the connection for the negative side of the battery.

As far as my Basilisk I was kinda leaning more toward gutting it and putting it into a new box. But I’d just like to keep it metal if possible. I don’t think getting the exact cut out for the screen will be an very simple task tho.

b11affddbbdbcf99589118800106224b.png

Sent from inside a very cloudy room off my iPhone

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
That issue above is easy to mend. Snip it desolder, resolder, vape. With that braided negative wire you might have an opportunity to upgrade if you can get to the other end of it. Remove the bare braided cable and replace it with some 14 or 12 gauge stranded silicone jacketed copper wire in 99%, it will be easier for you to work with later and be more manageable.

VU Sponsors