Become a Patron!

Two Holes, One Coil?

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
While shopping for a RDA on Google and YouTube reviews I decided on a TOBH clone. The RDA comes with more then one hole and three posts, so why can't one use a single coil with a RDA with more then one hole?

I plan on building a dual coil for it, but depending on the answer I might want to use a single coil, or not.

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good question. i use a single coil with my 2 hole and three post drippers.(Omega) If too much air, I just plug the off hole from the coil. I hear you always have to hole closest your coil open.
anyone else who is a expert to this. I am still a rookie when it comes to building coils and drippers.

One step at a time.

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
While shopping for a RDA on Google and YouTube reviews I decided on a TOBH clone. The RDA comes with more then one hole and three posts, so why can't one use a single coil with a RDA with more then one hole?

I plan on building a dual coil for it, but depending on the answer I might want to use a single coil, or not.
The way the TOBH's cap is drilled both side would be open at the same time causing too much airflow nullifying the efficiency of a single coil build. Meaning it tends to lessen the cloud build up. Though it will still work you would have to close the other holes to get the vapor to rise only up instead of the vapor spinning in the deck. One would think more air means more clouds but if you run a single coil the circulating air tends to choke the single coil making it less effective. At least that is what I have found.

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good question. i use a single coil with my 2 hole and three post drippers.(Omega) If too much air, I just plug the off hole from the coil. I hear you always have to hole closest your coil open.
anyone else who is a expert to this. I am still a rookie when it comes to building coils and drippers.

One step at a time.
Your Omega doesn't have 3 holes in the cap? Odd my clone does so I can run single and dual coil. Not trying to pick a fight just my meandering thoughts.

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
it has 3 holes in the cap and two inside. sorry , I use the 2 holes alot and just forget about the third one. your right. as i said, I am a rookie at this stuff. Not sure how the TOBH clone is set up.

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the info Bahas. A friend told me to rewick the original coils with cotton and use the 2 holes. it is still new, less than a week and i have not put a new coil in it yet. My little A9 beginner dripper just has the one hole and I practice building on that one alot.. I do need to drill the hole making it bigger.

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tobh is 3 holes on opposite side and the deck has 2 bars that can close off the 3 holes depending on how open or closed you like your draw. I will post pics later of what I mean.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thanks to all. I'll play with it once my beloved vape mail reaches me. I avoided all the RDA's with one hole and 3 posts as I like the idea of dual coils for now anyways and hate drilling. I also like an airy draw. It makes sense about two or more holes canceling out the air flow.

SerialVapist

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The TOBH was the first atomizer that i didn't feel the need to drill out (the 2nd being the omega). I currently have it as a single coil setup. I hadn't set it up that way before last weekend. the first build was 24g @ 9 wraps (.7 ohms) and rebuilt it this morning with 24g @ 15 wraps (1.1 ohms), both working fantastically. I too like an airy draw, and it hit really well. just my 2 cents...

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seems like this has already been addressed by Bahas, but you certainly could build a dual-coil atty with just a single coil. The only issue is that if you're drawing air in from both sides (the coil side and the side you left empty by doing a single coil build), you're not going to get as dense of a vape. If you're cool with that, rock on - I'm planning to set up one of my cheapo beginner setups this way with a single coil and tiny wick to test juices myself.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When I'm running my Nimbus clone in single-coil mode, for whatever reason (normally to test new juices I'm making) I just tape over one side worth of holes, and that brings me back up to cloud status. You might not want your RDA to have tape over it while carrying it in public, or maybe you do. Just sharing what works for me.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

One step at a time.

I do the same. The opposite side from the coil gets enough cotton to obstruct the hole. Works well, but not better than using the device how it was intended. However, if you get a single coil design, you're basically stuck without creative coil design or drilling.

VU Sponsors