Become a Patron!

Twisting A1 kanthal, twisting it tight vs lose?

yasaboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi guys I've got a question I've always twisted my kanthal until it's so tight it snaps on the ends, with a drill. I also see some twist it much less almost as twist with gaps being less tight. Is there a difference or is it subjective to taste difference?thanks any opinions are welcome I have done it with 26g kA1 for awhile finally got some 24g kA1 a week ago ready to twist some up!

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
on mine I twist it so tight it snaps also. but I only have one device that I use twisted wire on. I have never done it any other way so I can't compare. there really isn't a right or wrong way to do it. maybe those coils you seen are twisted by hand.

yasaboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can do the same on the drillxdoing it slow before it's gets so tight they draw together where the notch touch, I was about to twist some up n figured I'd see if anyone's opinion on it. So I resisted it the same ol way with 24g and is great just figured I'd get some opinions out there. Thanks man

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Is there a difference or is it subjective to taste difference?
Yes, there is a difference as it pertains to net resistance. See the Steam Engine user guide (and Steam Engine link) below and go to:
  • "Profile" - "round, twisted parallel"
  • "Twist pitch"
  • "Number of strands"
Play with that for awhile and you'll see how the pitch count affects net resistance.

VU Sponsors