Become a Patron!

Trying to quit the analogs

NATURE

Member For 1 Year
Hi all. I have been scouring the internet trying to figure this shit out and it finally occurred to me to join a forum. I've been a pack a day for thirty years and enough is enough. The problem is, everything I've tried so far(Juul, Suorin Drop and Eleaf Ijust S) has let me down. The Juul and Drop just can't take the place of cigs for me and the Eleaf on the .18 and .3 coils gets too hot and spits at me, while the .5 is very unsatisfying. .4 would probably be the sweet spot on this device but the real problem is probably the lack of control. To that end I have just ordered 2 Hohm Slice SE mods and need help figuring out the accessories. I ordered 2 because they are only $15 and I don't know if I will prefer sub ohm or above ohm. I will probably get a Fireluke mesh pro or Falcon Resin for the one but information on above ohm tanks is spotty. I'm thinking maybe Aspire Triton 2 V2 but I'll take any advice. I imagine I'll be a DL hitter as that's how I tend to hit my current devices anyway(except the cigs). I'm usually not into sweet or fruity so I got the notebook from Black Note. All their juice is 50/50 and I got 6mg nic. So far I've only tried the Prelude but it's pretty unremarkable, probably due to my equipment. I'm looking at the Hohm Base charger and Hohm Grown(26650) batteries but would appreciate any input on this as well. Anyway, sorry for the long winded post but buying these devices that don't work for me isn't working for me and at this point I need to defer to more experienced people. Thanks in advance for any help.

sultan

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
I smoked 2 packs a day for 30yrs and when I started I used cig a likes and they didn’t work. When I started again on another device (mvp 2.0) I started at 12mg of nicotine (free base and not nic salts as they didn’t exist) and later realized I would have been better starting off at 18mg and dropping from there.
Here I am 4yrs later and use either 3 or 0mg. My personal advice to anyone starting is about the mg of nicotine and not the device used.
I realize it is harder to find anything above 6mg of nicotine nowadays but I started mixing my own ejuice so it doesn’t matter in my situation now. I would recommend at least 12mg in your case and dropping from there. You may bounce around with nicotine mg but that’s ok as long as it leads you to quit smoking analog cigs eventually. Your mileage may very.

NATURE

Member For 1 Year
Yeah, I was probably a little ambitious on my nic ratio selection but everything I read said sub ohm vaping required lower nic concentration. It kind of feels like a domino situation to me. I didn't know about above ohm vaping until my dissatisfaction with sub ohm so I thought I should start with a decent mod(which hopefully I have coming), so I could at least get a good vape before deciding on juice flavor, nic content and pg/vg ratio. I don't care about clouds as long as there is enough vapor to feel like a hit and I think it's too early in the game for me to think about mixing my own juice(or RTA/RBA). When I find the right above ohm tank and juice flavor I'll definitely look into higher nic content. Everyone seems to like the triton coils for 1.8, hence my thoughts on the aspire tank. Since the Hohm Slice is a single cell mod I want to get the best battery and charger I can but I'm drowning in information. Thank you for the advice, it makes sense that this won't work if I'm not getting my nic fix.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I have the holm slice. it's a great mod.

I can only vape subohm at 6mg nicotine max because of the throat hit.

Honestly?
If I were just getting into vaping I'd probably go with a kanger toptank.
My coil of choice is 0.5ohms but they sell 1.2ohm coils too.

You just have to be sure to buy genuine products from a reputable vendor because clone (fake / knock off) coils are horrible.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
needed a good lung full to get me off the stinkies so I picked a cloud tank at the time though this way in isnt for everyone though. I would say 6mg is max to go this route as you’ll be reaching for it often in long stints personally I started at 3mg and was a 20-25 a day smoker

Freemax fireluke is a great tank coils last well and if you want to get into building at some point you can as the base is really decent

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome @NATURE and good luck on becoming a former smoker~!

The only way I was able to quit after almost 40 years of at least a Pack A Day was to go Cold Turkey and I did it with Cig-A-Likes at 24-36 MG.

NATURE

Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the advice and I'm reassured that the slice gets a thumbs up. Now how do you guys feel about the best battery/charger for this mod givin that it's a single cell 26650 101w device? The Hohm Grown high drains are boasting 4307mAh 35A and the Hohm Base is an oscillating charger. It probably sounds like I'm a Hohm Tech fanboy but even with my limited experience the FSK chip sounds great. I wish there was a better mod selection with it. DNA's are too complicated for me right now and I favored the FSK over the Yihi(Chinese). I know I'm taking the run before I walk approach but you can't experiment if you don't have the stuff in front of you. Thanks again y'all.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Welcome to VU nature and congrats on taking the steps and making the decision to stop sucking on the death sticks. Can you describe what kind of vape would get off the coffin nails? People could really drill down and help you get that experience so you can quit. Cheering for you. Seriously.

NATURE

Member For 1 Year
Thanks jwill. I guess I'm looking for a cool smooth draw with a nicotine effect. I don't care about cloud production but I will need a lung full. I don't have enough experience to really know what will work but I can tell you what I haven't liked about my current equipment. The thing about cigs is, you know when your satisfied, the cig is done. With the Juul and Drop, I would just hit it and hit it and then feel like I needed a cig. The Eleaf is much better in this regard but in the lower resistance coils(.18 and .3) the vapor gets too hot and I can't stand the spitting. With the .5 coil it's like hitting the Juul or Drop. I got a little antsy in the pantsy and in addition to the two Slice SE mods I have coming, I also ordered 2 Hohm Grown 26650's, a Hohm Base, a Falcon and an Innokin Zenith. I also realized I've been using poor etiquette in regards to the search function and found a great thread on Hohm Tech mods. I've got a lot more reading to do and will likely have many questions but I think I have enough equipment coming for a good start.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Thanks jwill. I guess I'm looking for a cool smooth draw with a nicotine effect. I don't care about cloud production but I will need a lung full. I don't have enough experience to really know what will work but I can tell you what I haven't liked about my current equipment. The thing about cigs is, you know when your satisfied, the cig is done. With the Juul and Drop, I would just hit it and hit it and then feel like I needed a cig. The Eleaf is much better in this regard but in the lower resistance coils(.18 and .3) the vapor gets too hot and I can't stand the spitting. With the .5 coil it's like hitting the Juul or Drop. I got a little antsy in the pantsy and in addition to the two Slice SE mods I have coming, I also ordered 2 Hohm Grown 26650's, a Hohm Base, a Falcon and an Innokin Zenith. I also realized I've been using poor etiquette in regards to the search function and found a great thread on Hohm Tech mods. I've got a lot more reading to do and will likely have many questions but I think I have enough equipment coming for a good start.

Right on man. Keep at it and keep experimenting. Good things await you.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I switched to vaping over 3.5 years ago. 1.5 PADS for 40 yrs.
Used cigalikes and 18 mg juice, went down to 12 in a few weeks.
Patches, gum, pills nothing else worked.

I had to vape till pretty close to nic sick a few times a day for the first few weeks.
Bady says it is not the same nic, give it enough to say 'but it is nic'.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sure, what for?
Coil building. I know a lot of people don't want to spend the time or effort, but I find that if you are a medium-high or high wattage vaper it makes a world of difference both in terms of flavor and in terms of the feel of the vape, and, it really is very easy to get started as shown in the video below. When I started to vape I didn't feel the urge to smoke another cigarette ever again, and that I attribute to handmade fused claptons in an RDA at reasonably high watts. Personally, I, started at 80 watts with a dual coil build of this same type, immediately from the get go, having never tried vaping in any way before that. The juice I was using was high VG at 4.5mg-5mg that's actually 6mg juice with a few drops of 0mg juice added directly on top of the coils each time immediately after I had dripped the 6mg and before continuing to vape, and, doing this was just enough to make the really terribly burning harshness of the 6mg completely disappear. The time and effort it takes to drip on an RDA is well worth it IMO, and for several many reasons that I know a lot of people tend to (strongly) disagree with. But something tells me if I hadn't been stubborn like that, I would have been in the same exact boat as you are now, as I can't get a satisfying vape from anything other than an RDA with an at least reasonably decent coil build installed in it.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As for the Hohm Tech HohmGrown 32.3A 4307mAh 26650 battery. It has a maximum Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) of only 23A instead of the 32.3A rating that's printed on the wrap of this battery so, for true high wattage vaping all the way up to the maximum power output that the Hohm Slice SE is capable of (101 watts), to meet the general recommended battery safety guideline and to get really excellent battery performance, just go for the iJoy 40A 4200mAh 26650 battery instead, which is a 30A battery, not 40A. Any external battery charger that is compatible with the 26650 battery size will do, but I recommend the Nitecore NEW i2 or the Nitecore NEW i4 because it's cheap, it doesn't have too many bells and whistles that you don't actually need so it contains less parts that can break the charger, it doesn't get very warm, and, it isn't the fastest charger, but charging this particular battery at or below 1.5A charging current is actually a very nice tradeoff between charging fast enough and not aging the battery any faster than perfectly normal.

NATURE

Member For 1 Year
Awesome video, thanks. I never really liked the idea of an RDA(maybe a squonk) but will probably get in to RTA in the future. I already bought the Hohm Base and Hohm Grown batteries but will look for some ijoys(IMR and Illumn don't sell them and Liion is out of stock). I don't know yet if I will prefer high wattage or low wattage vaping but if it's high wattage then I'll probably be looking for a different mod anyway. As I understand it you don't want to vape at a mods peak wattage and I'll need more than a single cell mod or I'll be changing batteries frequently. I haven't even received this round of vape paraphernalia yet and I'm already looking at the Think Vape Finder DNA 250C LOL.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors