Become a Patron!

Trying again....

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've taken some time off from building coils out of frustration. Thank God for AVS as I do enjoy vaping their coils. Still having some fits with the Daedalus and giving it a rest. Picked up a new drill tonight and made a single 26gx2/36g fused clapton. Had an oops on the left leg, but it shouldn't effect much.

Freehand left 2x26g x 36g and Daedalus right 2x26g x 38g All wire N80 by Wayne, on Flickr

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
nice work man :cheers: little mistakes dont make any difference, and they go away with practice. i had high hopes for the daedalus when they put out the first one (i wanted it to make decore and spaced claptons for my alien and staggered builds while i prepped the cores and stuff), but i found it had as much of a learning curve as manual building, the drill is pretty slow, and there are a few variables/factors that can cause it to fail, so you kinda have to sit there and watch it/tinker with it the whole time anyway. might as well just use a fast drill and get it over with/learn how to do a better job than it can/fail my own builds with my own two hands :teehee: eventually you will outclass the thing in every way.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
What I can say about the daedalus is haste makes waste. With a higher speed drill you get bunched up wires that have doubled back or breaks in your wrapping wire. I find it much better to set it to a stable speed and do something like post to VU while it runs on the table beside me. When the core wire is finished, the wrap wire just breaks off on its own, and I have a flawless length of clapon wire.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What I can say about the daedalus is haste makes waste. With a higher speed drill you get bunched up wires that have doubled back or breaks in your wrapping wire. I find it much better to set it to a stable speed and do something like post to VU while it runs on the table beside me. When the core wire is finished, the wrap wire just breaks off on its own, and I have a flawless length of clapon wire.

That was my hope and goal when I bought the damn thing. Unfortunately I'm starting to think I'm not smart enough to run it properly. I can't seem to keep it from bunching up and doubling back on itself. Not giving up on it, but I've wasted a shit ton of wire.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
That was my hope and goal when I bought the damn thing. Unfortunately I'm starting to think I'm not smart enough to run it properly. I can't seem to keep it from bunching up and doubling back on itself. Not giving up on it, but I've wasted a shit ton of wire.
I had a problem like yours when I first got mine and I kept tightening the nut down to increase the tension on the spool.
I have not had any problems since. I also have it on a glass coffee table so the base doesn't catch on anything.
I have quite a bit of tension on the spool. I'm using dual 26g with a 40g wrap of SS316 Lightning Vapes wire.
Also have used the Kidney Puncher but I had to get a nylon bushing from ACE Hardware to put in the spool so it didn't wobble on the base too much.
Good Luck

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't think it should make any difference using any multi core builds but I vape just a single core claptons. The mod registers just the core(s) so the wraps just transfer the heat and have very little too no affect on the ohm read. I unwind the wrap wire to the start of the base of the first coil wrap. IMO the wraps inside the set screw area are prone to shifting that can cause fluctuations in readings especially using TC. The heating and cooling along with shifting they can loosen the set screws again causing fluctuations. Just be sure the unwound wraps are far enough from the posts not to jump a spark.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

Ever hear of a childrens toy called a Krazy Karpet? It is basically a sheet of plastic that you sit on and slide down hills.. like on snow, or sand or grass. Needless to say, these things are very slippery.. and I can get one locally for about $3 canadian. SO I cut the thing in half, use one half to roll pie crust and the other half to run my daedalus on. The smoother the surface the less chance of coils bunching.

VU Sponsors